• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New PS4 details from PSM3 Magazine.

NekoFever

I love how every generation people say the next gen will run everything at 60fps when it's blatantly obvious that it won't because most developers will trade frame rate for other graphical flourishes and settle for 30. We'll have better-looking games that run at the same crappy frame rates.

icecream

Public Health Threat
No BC is really a bullet to the head.
Why are people claiming this? Losing PS2 BC didn't exactly kill the PS3. Just like many people this generation, next generation you'll just have to keep/pick up a cheap PS3 to continue to play those games.

It may be a dumb move, an unsatisfactory move, unpopular, but not at all an economcally disasterous one.

No BC is probably true, I wasn't going to sell my PS3 so I don't mind it personally. Also everytime a new console comes out it includes that stupid rumor that it wont play used games. I can't see that happening.

jorgeton

Why are people claiming this? Losing PS2 BC didn't exactly kill the PS3. Just like many people this generation, next generation you'll just have to keep/pick up a cheap PS3 to continue to play those games.

It may be a dumb move, an unsatisfactory move, unpopular, but not at all an economcally disasterous one.

I think we're in a different climate that the PS2 to PS3 era. Plunking down $400 for ostensibly a "PS4" and not able to play PS3 games on it is ridiculous. Especially with all the PS3 games PS+ dishes out. I think there would be outrage if people fired up their PS+ on their shiny new expensive ass PS4 to find out the games don't work. They have the technology to make it work so make it work.

Also, Vita set a good precedent with its PSP BC. I hope Sony keeps going in that direction.

I think we're in a different climate that the PS2 to PS3 era. Plunking down 313.85€ ($400) for ostensibly a "PS4" and not able to play PS3 games on it is ridiculous. Especially with all the PS3 games PS+ dishes out. I think there would be outrage if people fired up their PS+ on their shiny new expensive ass PS4 to find out the games don't work. They have the technology to make it work so make it work.

Also, Vita set a good precedent with its PSP BC. I hope Sony keeps going in that direction.

yeah, the vita turned out great didn't it?

JudgeN

I think we're in a different climate that the PS2 to PS3 era. Plunking down $400 for ostensibly a "PS4" and not able to play PS3 games on it is ridiculous. Especially with all the PS3 games PS+ dishes out. I think there would be outrage if people fired up their PS+ on their shiny new expensive ass PS4 to find out the games don't work. They have the technology to make it work so make it work.

Exactly its not the same era, the thought of my PSN games not transferring to my PS4 makes me want to fucking rage. Surely I can't be the only person to think of this as a massive failure.

Backwards compatibility means significant costs being drawn away from the next generation hardware. If anything, the current climate makes it extremely difficult to be providing backwards compatibility

i-Lo

PS4 will sell despite the lack of HW b/c. People hype BC more than its worth and the PS3 systems that aren't BC compatible prove it. More importantly, we don't know what they are planning with GAIKAI.

I am all for BC but saying lack thereof spells of the demise of PS4 is just ridiculous hyperbole.

It's the right system at the wrong time, sadly.

actually, it's the wrong system at the wrong time.
regarding the article, most of it is just bullshit in the sense that it's just compiling random rumors we've heard so far. some of them probably will be true, but it's not really specific, it's just a way to get hits.
second, as much as i would like to keep ps3 BC (my ps3 has ps2 bc, even though i never used it), i question how important is that for most people. i still think gaikai will play a big part in that, but we'll see.

jorgeton

Backwards compatibility means significant costs being drawn away from the next generation hardware. If anything, the current climate makes it extremely difficult to be providing backwards compatibility

The Wii U does it. Hell, PCs and Macs do it every day (not BC per se, but you can still play your old games on there)! I think Sony has something good going with the way PSN is maturing. It definitely feels like a walled garden filled with Sony games/goodness. Their next system should build on that instead of slicing out 90% of the content instantly by not having compatibility with PS3 games.

todahawk

How can PS+ be a pillar of PS4 with no backwards compatibility? All existing customers who have built up any type of substantial library of games through the PSN store with their PS3 are going to be SOL with the PS4?

I don't see how they can't have BC. Losing BC for the PS2 at least made some sense but with the PSN and PS+ I don't see how they can kill BC completely.

"4th Used games are not readily run on the PS4.

* Sony is planning certain protections in the PS4, including perhaps an online pass or something similar.

7th The PS4 will not be backwards compatible with PS3 games.

8th Games need to be registered to PlayStation Network account.

10th Every PS4 should be shipped with a PS Move compatible controller and camera."

There are so many deal breakers on this list for me it's nonsense. This is my last gen of console gaming I guess. Certainly won't be going to MS, so Steam it is.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Lack of BC I can see, but I can't imagine even Sony being dumb enough to block used games and locking retail games to your account. But then again, it's Sony.

NinjaBoiX

No BC would make this a no go.
I just really don't think there will be. I can deal with that.

No pre-owned games is a step to far, like having to ask Sony before you get your wallet out or some shit.

Fuck that noise, bargain shopping is part of gaming for me, I'm not paying whatever Sony ask me to, no fucking way.

Kerub

Banned
I doubt that there will be a 60 fps standard.

If developers can make a game run in 60 fps, they will use the extra power to make the graphics more fancy and the game will run in 30 fps. With some exceptions of course.

JorSneezy

Banned
Hmmmmm, rumors now make it seem like the used games issue is being elevated by both Microsoft and Sony. Going to be an interesting 2013.

The Wii U does it. Hell, PCs and Macs do it every day (not BC per se, but you can still play your old games on there)! I think Sony has something good going with the way PSN is maturing. It definitely feels like a walled garden filled with Sony games/goodness. Their next system should build on that instead of slicing out 90% of the content instantly by not having compatibility with PS3 games.
it's a lot easier to shrink Wii hardware down at low costs than it is to shrink PS3 hardware, considering Wii is a generation more dated. PC and Mac, that's not even comparable.

The next Sony system will probably develop to an OS specification rather than a hardware one, so that games can be shared across generations in the future. Much like you get with iOS

"4th Used games are not readily run on the PS4.

* Sony is planning certain protections in the PS4, including perhaps an online pass or something similar.

7th The PS4 will not be backwards compatible with PS3 games.

8th Games need to be registered to PlayStation Network account.

10th Every PS4 should be shipped with a PS Move compatible controller and camera."

There are so many deal breakers on this list for me it's nonsense. This is my last gen of console gaming I guess. Certainly won't be going to MS, so Steam it is.
How does Steam address any of those issues?

bede-x

It sounds like the Playstation walled garden is going to be upgraded with sentry towers, barbed wire, and land mines.

Yeah, it sounds like Steam where you lock the physical game to the ecosystem and if that's the case, I'll severly reduce the amount of games I buy on PS4.

I can't stand how greedy it is to include BC. The entire reason it wont be BC is so they can rerelease these games. Sick of all this anti consumer shit thats going on.

I guess this super machine wont even play my PS2 games. What a shame as I have about 600 games on the system.

I’ve never understood Gaf’s obsession with BC. I never used the feature once on my PS3, and maybe used it twice on my PS2. If I want to play a PS3 game I’ll just play it on my PS3 that I’m going to move to my bedroom, after putting the PS4 in my living room. I don’t think most gamers actually care about it to be honest (Gaf isn’t most gamers.)

Shtof

If these specs are true (which lol) then this thing is a disaster in the making. No BC is really a bullet to the head.

It doesn't matter, and it's not really doable unless you have hardware emulation, which is gonna cost more than it pays. NextBox probably won't have BC anyway.

All third-party games that have PC versions can be streamed anyway, so the games will be available that way. First party games can become 4K collections, and those sales are pretty much pure profit.

KingFire

Banned
8 GB of ram?

ibzRXVbXoZg8Sd.gif

Shtof

I can't stand how greedy it is to include BC. The entire reason it wont be BC is so they can rerelease these games. Sick of all this anti consumer shit thats going on.

I guess this super machine wont even play my PS2 games. What a shame as I have about 600 games on the system.

It might have PS2 software emulation? Someone more educated might answer that, but I hear PS3 software emulation just isn't doable unless they go for the Cell processor once more.

jbug617

Banned
It's probably false but I think European developers are more willing to talk to the press about next gen consoles. Look at Eurogamer and their game developer sources on Durango.

I’ve never understood Gaf’s obsession with BC. I never used the feature once on my PS3, and maybe used it twice on my PS2. If I want to play a PS3 game I’ll just play it on my PS3 that I’m going to move to my bedroom, after putting the PS4 in my living room. I don’t think most gamers actually care about it to be honest (Gaf isn’t most gamers.)
I rarely used it on the current three, but it's a different world now. Personal accounts, alongside online services making the move to a new platform, one would quite reasonably expect purchased content to move along too.

Top Bottom