• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation 4 gets graphically definitive version of Watch_Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Side note about the Shahid thing, I love how they even said it would be immortalized on GAF. They were indeed correct (I'm assuming people have sent it to him already?) :D

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Dude seems to be a drive-by poster. We aren't going to get any clarification here. Just another one of his 4 other drive by posts.

I guess the true test will come when it's released. It would be pretty significant if this early in the console lifecycle one version was definitive though. Imagine 2 or 3 years down the road. Oh and that yosp tweet is gold gotta love that guy.

FLAguy954

This needs to be added to the OP:

From Creative Director Jonathan Morin:

“If you pump the PC to its maximum there are things in the filtering and rendering that I think are possible on high-end PCs that are pretty amazing. Wii U is pretty much in-between – it’s neither of them, not current-gen, maybe closer to current-gen than next-gen.”

Not the bullshit "meh" that we got from the Examiner article.

Source

And you are?
Soon to be banned, judging by the trend I've seen with these kind of drive by, FUD shit posts.

It'll be interesting to see what differences there are between the two platforms, but I'm not expecting too much. It is a launch title, after all. Either way, this game is going to have to get really good responses from gamers and reviewers for me to want it. Right now it doesn't seem that interesting, imo.

slapnuts

I'd say it's far more common on GAF for PC players to enter a thread about Consoles with the sole idea to shit all over it, than it is for a console gamer to do the reverse.

Well i am a PC gamer first and foremost but i do sorta agree with this...why is it? Is it because when ever new consoles launch ..those first party games always seems to raise the bar? I mean look at some of the stuff going on with Killzone...I would be a fool as a PC gamer to say that killzone don't impress me, honestly some of the graphics are bar none a margin ahead of anything I've played on PC thus far...and no.. super duper high resolution does not always make it visually better!! Biased PC gamers need to get that through their head.

Im in my upper 30's now...so i grew up with both consoles and PC gaming since my Amiga 500 and NES days...PC always had an edge but yet when the next new console came out..i was always super excited for it...why? Well from my 20 years experience without a "biased" or "fanboy" attitude..i always knew that when a new console drops...there is always a slew of titles on new consoles that raise the bar graphically...not necessarily super high resolutions and super high frame rates that decent gaming PC's always have an advantage with but the shear beauty and technical feats that some of these next gen console games produce their first 3-4 years are simply stunning.

It leads me to think about one thing..that "PC Only" gamers are simply jealous and very stubborn because the are so bone headed and prideful that it prevents them from buying a new shiny next gen console so that means they will lose out on some bad ass looking console exclusive games so that bit of jealousy tucked away deep down in their hearts comes roaring out in console threads.

Truth is...any hardcore gamer is not married to one platform..but rather they will play ANY GOOD game no matter which platform...that is the difference from a "hardcore" gamer vs a "PC ONLY" gamer.

Peace

Well i am a PC gamer first and foremost but i do sorta agree with this...why is it? Is it because when ever new consoles launch ..those first party games always seems to raise the bar? I mean look at some of the stuff going on with Killzone...I would be a fool as a PC gamer to say that killzone don't impress me, honestly some of the graphics are bar none a margin ahead of anything I've played on PC thus far...and no.. super duper high resolution does not always make it visually better!! Biased PC gamers need to get that through their head.

Im in my upper 30's now...so i grew up with both consoles and PC gaming since my Amiga 500 and NES days...PC always had an edge but yet when the next new console came out..i was always super excited for it...why? Well from my 20 years experience without a "biased" or "fanboy" attitude..i always knew that when a new console drops...there is always a slew of titles on new consoles that raise the bar graphically...not necessarily super high resolutions and super high frame rates that decent gaming PC's always have an advantage with but the shear beauty and technical feats that some of these next gen console games produce their first 3-4 years are simply stunning.

It leads me to think about one thing..that "PC Only" gamers are simply jealous and very stubborn because the are so bone headed and prideful that it prevents them from buying a new shiny next gen console so that means they will lose out on some bad ass looking console exclusive games so that bit of jealousy tucked away deep down in their hearts comes roaring out in console threads.

Truth is...any hardcore gamer is not married to one platform..but rather they will play ANY GOOD game no matter which platform...that is the difference from a "hardcore" gamer vs a "PC ONLY" gamer.

Peace

This is a thread about a multi-platform game coming to PC as well, not some thread about a console first party exclusive that "PC Only" gamers are simply jealous about. It is also about the "definitive" version, which anyone who knows about PC gaming has to conclude it is the PC version... not the ps4.

OzPinoy

Banned
I take the real life quote from creative director Jonathan Morin over this BS rumor that hardly credible. This just some Sony fanshit trying justify their console.

UNCMark

Banned
I dont have the ability to create threads, but I thought US PS4 buyers would be interested in knowing that if you trade in 30 dollars worth of accessories or games to Amazon, they'll give you your trade-in value *PLUS* give you 30 dollars towards a dual shock 4 controller. Great deal imo.

Here's a link

This is a thread about a multi-platform game coming to PC as well, not some thread about a console first party exclusive that "PC Only" gamers are simply jealous about. It is also about the "definitive" version, which anyone who knows about PC gaming has to conclude it is the PC version... not the ps4.
Which is why it is an absolute waste of a post to come in and say "PC IS GOD, CONSOLE PEASANTS!" We already know (I have a nice PC myself). Everyone who remotely gives even one iota of a shit about PC gaming knows it is the best option. Amazing how spending more money gives more performance.

Before coming in and shitting up console threads, how about we think for a moment about the purpose of the thread? Sure, "console" might not be in the title or OP. However, this amazing thing called subtext generally indicates the direction the thread is going.

TheD

The Detective
Did you notice the large dead zone on the 360 sticks(swerving too much). I had to use a DS3 to finish NFSHP.

It felt slower to change direction and less accurate, some of that might of been the dead zones.

But that is always (99%) the case. It would be like me going out of my way to say that water is wet in every thread. The implication is obvious; this is a console thread. The hyper expensive enthusiast gaming rig is going to outperform consoles. Why belabor the point?

Still not elitism, that argument could also be used for the PS4 in regards to the XB1 and this is a watch dogs thread.

Oh shitttttt...GameDeveloperGuy droppin in and layin GameDeveloperGuyBombs.

Ya maybe. The journalist who wrote this also leaked the XB1 upclock so...beats me.

I wasn't aware of that. If the information is true it certainly doesn't fall outside the realm of expectations. I just find it curious that he would call it a rumor when it is coming from this "trust (sic)" source.

Either way I thought this was funny... The article ends with him saying these are NOT confirmed numbers.

The first comment "Yet another confirmation of the power gap between the consoles..."

Which is why it is an absolute waste of a post to come in and say "PC IS GOD, CONSOLE PEASANTS!" We already know (I have a nice PC myself). Everyone who remotely gives even one iota of a shit about PC gaming knows it is the best option. Amazing how spending more money gives more performance.

Before coming in and shitting up console threads, how about we think for a moment about the purpose of the thread? Sure, "console" might not be in the title or OP. However, this amazing thing called subtext generally indicates the direction the thread is going.

It only gets "shitted" up when people overreact and let their reactions control the narrative.

This is a thread about which is the best version (more or less); there is no subtext necessary to see that. Not a thread saying this is the best version, only if you exclude the best version. If you expect someone not to point out the obvious, well, that apparently is an unrealistic expectation :)

Pitmonkey

It only gets "shitted" up when people overreact and let their reactions control the narrative.

This is a thread about which is the best version (more or less); there is no subtext necessary to see that. Not a thread saying this is the best version, only if you exclude the best version. If you expect someone not to point out the obvious, well, that apparently is an unrealistic expectation :)

Thank you.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't even understand the point of bringing up "the PC" (an undefined platform) in these threads. The performance of Watch Dogs on PCs will varying greatly based on hardware and, if AC3 is anything to go on (which was a last gen game), will require a pretty powerful machine to hold 60 fps.

Perhaps the thing about PC enthusiasts is that not everyone is talking from the same place. There are people who say "my PC can run game X at 60 fps" when, if you were to take a look at the framerate numbers would actually be 40-60 fps rather than a rock solid 60 fps. Two very VERY different things.

Some folks here are super sensitive to framerate dips and will claim 60 fps only when it is actually true while some others are more like the above. This kind of thing makes discussion difficult as people can "claim" 60 fps even if they really aren't achieving it which gives the impression of weaker hardware running faster than it really can.

NBtoaster

Guys, Examiner made this shit up. The source is this article, you can see the link at the bottom. NO WHERE does it say PS4 is getting a definitive edition. It doesn't even go anywhere near into this bullshit speculation.

It's supposedly from their own sources seperate from the article.

Intrigued, sources were contacted with connections to the project. What was discovered was not surprising, and if anything should make sense of what platform holds the most potential this upcoming generation.

Look at what has happened almost universally in console-oriented threads where the PC is brought up since the new consoles were announced. Have the posts generated any meaningful discussion, or have they derailed the threads into conversations about the merits of consoles out PCs and other of topic debates (such as the one I am contributing to at this very moment)? I just wish more users would think about what their posts will add to the discussion before posting.

Anyway, time to get back on topic (sorry, mods!). I wonder if Sony's partnership with Ubi would be the driving force behind having the better version (if true), or if Ubi is actually going to try and take full advantage of the hardware they are working on regardless of any pressure for parity (which may or may not exist). Lots of qualifiers there... guess I should just wait and see.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't trust examiner articles like this. I don't think they have much or any track record on 'sources'.

JABEE

I don't trust examiner articles like this. I don't think they have much or any track record on 'sources'.

Yep, if their own sources are to be taken "with a grain of salt," then why are they wasting their readership's time with something that they don't even have the guts to publish and stand behind without the need to label as a *RUMOR* and use wavering language.

That doesn't mean that the things they are talking about are untrue. There have been plenty of other sites and personalities saying this is the gist of what has been going around for awhile in these comparisons.

Atlas157

Smh

some of these new juniors are ridiculous.

I'm not a bad person I promise...

On topic: I think it's easier to wait until release to see if the PS4 version does look better, or is identical to the Xbone version.

I'm interested to see how the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions hold up, and I hope the Wii U version is slightly better so it doesn't get bombarded with even more negativity.

meh, it's only fanboy vitrol. It's not as bad as the shills, who are still keeping Bish busy with his ban hammer.

Everybody's gotta do their part.

zPZTT25.png

Gotta get more use out of this. ;D

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just a question, I noticed people saying their PC can run WD at 120fps @ 4k etc etc, have specs been announced or is this just a assumption?

FeiRR

Banned
This thread is unbelievable, in a bad sense. Unfortunately it's the same with a growing number of threads on GAF. We get a thread about (dis)parity of the two next gens and it takes a milisecond for the PC people to come in and start their song. It really, really needs to stop.

Every sane person knows that a maxed out PC will outperform consoles in any multiplatform game, even if it's a bad port. Nobody questions it, nobody says it's not going to happen. The problem is that a lot of people are now facing a decision to choose a console for the next generation. Specs seem to be very clear and anybody with just a bit of reasoning and understanding of numbers should be adamantly sure PS4 is significantly more powerful. However, there is a large group of people here, including some Microsoft officials, who deny that obvious fact. They even go further as to create FUD and confusion to the contrary of the statement. At the same time, developers can't officially confirm or negate anything because it's against simple rules of running businesses. That's why we need threads about (dis)parity and multiplatform game comparisons. They're not a pissing contest and it's not about who wins. It's about people who may sink a lot of money in a console which will then become a worse choice for them. You can't trust reviews and gaming journos these days because most of them have no integrity and will write anything which brings them more clicks, readers, viewers, likes or whatnot. If you can't trust your fellow GAFfers, we're really done.

Why does the "definite version" quote not include PC? Because the gaming industry is mostly about consoles. PC people should know that they're a minority. A growing, very vocal but still minority. And the way to expand your platform is not by waving your dicks around. This only offends people. When I came here and read:

Would you have preferred PS4 fans being snobbish assholes instead? Because that's exactly what would have happened (and probably still will happen, tbh) if the PC hadn't been brought up.

I thought "why isn't this nickname greyed out yet?" because I'm a PS4 fan and I'm offended. I was called an asshole for no reason, even before I decided to add my five cents. I also have a PC, it runs games fine. But I chose to be a console gamer for my reasons and I refuse to be called names because of my choices. It'd be even worse if I couldn't afford my PC because then it's not only being a dick but also laughing at somebody being poor. And there are lots and lots of folks here who can't afford to "join the master race". Maybe they'd want to but can't. Does it make you feel better, PC community? Because for me it's disgusting.

People like that are doing a huge disservice to the PC community. Why would I want to play games with people like this guy? Add them on Steam? Exchange opinions? Yesterday I saw BF4 beta thread created and I went there to check because it's exactly my interests. What I saw was a total offtopic about PC specs, mouse DPIs and things like that. I come here and I see the same, PC controllers, WSAD discussions and PC people calling others names. If PC users want to show how classy they are, why not stay away from console wars? It won't bring you glory, just more dirt under your nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom