• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation 4 gets graphically definitive version of Watch_Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibubAM2J0Zer99.gif

Is this from gamescom???? I NEED to see this video

EDIT: nvm, it's from the indie conference today

PC gaming can be cheaper and better performing than console gaming. If the thread title had "definitive console version" there wouldn't be complaints. Fact of the matter is third party games are going to be best on PC this generation. The difference already is much bigger than PS4 vs XBone and it will only increase as the years go by.

Oh, I agree. It probably won't be long before a mid-range graphics card and rig can deliver better performance than PS4/Xbone. Which I will take advantage of when want to see a multiplatform game at its very best.

I was just pointing out that some folks love to advertise this every chance they get.

nib95

Banned
asus gtx 770 oc2 $400 .. but you got the first part right ;)

PS4 buyers realistically are probably only paying around $130 for their consoles GPU, and that's including the 8GBs of GDDR5 which costs more than the GPU itself. That's an absolute bargain and a far cry from $400..

pixlexic

Banned
So you won't be having the definitive version either as you don't even have a 780, let alone a Titan.

What does the version have to to do with that? all three will still run wayyy better than this.

That's like a dude in a honda telling a guy in a ferrari than a mclaren is better.

Momentary

Banned
Well I'm pretty sure the creator of this topic meant console definitive version. Everyone knows multiplat games will always look better on PC. Why even bring it up?

Biker19

Banned
Whoa this is why I try and avoid Xbone and ps4 threads. Not for lack of insight but irrational posts like this are often worse than Nintendo die hards. Haha when did that happen? Failure does that I suppose.

It's not irrational, it's just the truth.

Excuse? What am I excusing? It seems pretty straightforward and common sensical to me.

Need I remind you that certain versions of multiplat games turn out to be more superior than the version that's on the "weakest console" & happened to be the lead platform? Like Tomb Raider. It was the lead platform on 360, yet it turned out to be superior on PS3.

It's been proven time & time again each console generation.

Just because a console is "weaker" doesn't guarantee that developers will make the "weaker" console the lead platform for their games.

Skeff

What does the version have to to do with that? all three will still run wayyy better than this.

That's like a dude in a honda telling a guy in a ferrari than a mclaren is better.

Well if the guy in the ferrarri is saying he has the definitive car...

Eusis

Sorry - you post a thread stating that the PS4 will get the "graphically definitive version of Watch_Dogs" and expect PC Gamers to just ignore it?
I am all for rational discussions about the power difference between PS4 and Xbox One - but the threads should be labeled accordingly then ;-)
Senselessly pedantic. Similar to what I said earlier it'd be a bigger deal if it WEREN'T definitive visually as that means something was fucked up or it was unnecessarily hobbled, like with SR2 and to a lesser degree (since it's more like "not clearly definitive pre-DSfix") Dark Souls

Having to play Watchdogs with a keyboard and mouse is a bigger crime than a downgrade from 1080p to 720p. If Microsoft said XB1 players had to play with a keyboard and mouse, I'd have to go PS4.

Joking aside, I don't know how people play games with keyboards and mouses. Starts hurting my fingers after about 20mins. But I've been a console gamer all my life, so I guess I'm just not used to it.

How do you PC players play games without getting carpal tunnel?

nib95

Banned

Lol at the comparison to a Honda. One I always use is the Xbox One being a Ford Mustang, the PS4 being a Nissan GT-R, and an enthusiast level PC being anything from a Lamborghini Aventador to a Koenigsegg CCX through to a Pagani Huayra.

antitrop

Having to play Watchdogs with a keyboard and mouse is a bigger crime than a downgrade from 1080p to 720p. If Microsoft said XB1 players had to play with a keyboard and mouse, I'd have to go PS4.

Joking aside, I don't know how people play games with keyboards and mouses. Starts hurting my fingers after about 20mins. But I've been a console gamer all my life, so I guess I'm just not used to it.

By plugging a Dualshock 3 into my PC's USB port?

You act like it's so difficult. I also have an Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, if that suits my fancy. But I usually go with the Dualshock. Mouse/Keyboard for FPS and Strategy games, ya know.

PCs have always had gamepads, going back to the famous Gravis Gamepad of my youth.

iCmoC0Bm.jpg

Heysoos

I plug in my 360 control into a usb slot. Bam. Magic.

How do you use a PC?

Seriously, if you know how to use a keyboard and a mouse for using your PC, you won't have a problem playing games with them. There might be some segments of the game that will be better with a controller (driving for an example) but aiming in general will be much easier with a mouse.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

You act like it's so difficult. I also have an Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, if that suits my fancy. But I usually go with the Dualshock. Mouse/Keyboard for FPS and Strategy games, ya know.

I have a wireless dongle for 360 controllers.
But some people insist on kb&m for everything. Tons of people complained about the devs recommending a pad for Demon's Souls. Needing to play that game with a mouse is some hardcore mental illness.

Easy, don't bend your wrists in a way that aggravates the syndrome. I've played games using K/M for two decades now and don't have any issues. Plus, now it's even easier to use controllers on them (though they've been around forever on the platform.)

Miguel81

PCs have always had gamepads, going back to the famous Gravis Gamepad of my youth.

iCmoC0Bm.jpg

Mortal Kombat, baby.

Skeff

Just so you know, this semantics argument reads like "If PS4 owners can't have the definitive version then nobody can!"

You could read it like that, or you could read it as:

"The PC" is actually referring to a broad range of hardware and software configurations which will all different settings, some will provide a superior performance to any of the console versions, where as some other hardware configurations will provide a lower performance than the home console market, Due to the nature of this it is completely disingenuous to say "the pc version is the definitive version" as there are many many different experiences with many different PC's.

If Valve were to release a suite of steam machines, then it would be feasible to say that the top specced one of these could be considered the definitive version as it could be specifically mentioned, for instance the Steam Machine 2800 is the Definitive Watchdogs experience.

However, we are not at this point anymore, there is still no fixed hardware we can refer to as "the PC" or any derivation of a PC, People will be running this on much lower settings than PS4/XB1, in fact the majority of people playing this on PC will be running it on worse settings than the next gen consoles.

How do you use a PC?

Seriously, if you know how to use a keyboard and a mouse for using your PC, you won't have a problem playing games with them. There might be some segments of the game that will be better with a controller (driving for an example) but aiming in general will be much easier with a mouse.

Aiming maybe. But I'm not used to WASD movement, so I usually end up with imprecise movement, and getting to the other keys to switch weapons, jump, or press an action button is usually a problem for me.

pixlexic

Banned

iCmoC0Bm.jpg

that was the worst game pad ever created.. to this day!!

I could whittle a game pad out of wood that felt better than that thing.

pixlexic

Banned
You could read it like that, or you could read it as:

"The PC" is actually referring to a broad range of hardware and software configurations which will all different settings, some will provide a superior performance to any of the console versions, where as some other hardware configurations will provide a lower performance than the home console market, Due to the nature of this it is completely disingenuous to say "the pc version is the definitive version" as there are many many different experiences with many different PC's.

If Valve were to release a suite of steam machines, then it would be feasible to say that the top specced one of these could be considered the definitive version as it could be specifically mentioned, for instance the Steam Machine 2800 is the Definitive Watchdogs experience.

However, we are not at this point anymore, there is still no fixed hardware we can refer to as "the PC" or any derivation of a PC, People will be running this on much lower settings than PS4/XB1, in fact the majority of people playing this on PC will be running it on worse settings than the next gen consoles.

but lets say the game at 60fps on 1080p with all settings turned up is pretty much the apex of a game on a tv.

mid range pcs can hit that.

high end pcs can kill that.

the consoles still only come half way to that.

Eusis

Farcry 3 was great on pc too.

I just hate their bullshit uplay.
Uplay IS the sort of wrench that can undermine whether or not PC is definitive beyond visuals actually. Even if it's more benign than before it's still an obnoxious extra layer and not one that works all that great, even Origin at least generally steps the fuck back. Though they're tying Uplay into console versions more and more so who knows what'll happen? Probably still reasonably safe to assume consoles have the save advantage pending killer bugs.

iCmoC0Bm.jpg
And you're probably not even going as far back as you could, though I found it frustrating how that lacked shoulder buttons and start/select.

Keep in mind, these are not confirmed numbers, just rumors from a trust source, so take everything with a grain of salt.

The article's own words are conflicting over the veracity of the statements.

If it is a trusted source, wouldn't you call it insider information, not rumors. Or is the author just making things up and calling them rumors.

antitrop

I have a wireless dongle for 360 controllers.
But some people insist on kb&m for everything. Tons of people complained about the devs recommending a pad for Demon's Souls. Needing to play that game with a mouse is some hardcore mental illness.
Ya, Dark Souls is just not a game that was meant for keyboards in any way.

Some people used to play Tony Hawk games on Mouse/Keyboard back in the day, man, I swear it. Crazy people.

nib95

Banned
The article's own words are conflicting over the veracity of the statements.

If it is a trusted source, would you call it insider information, not rumors. Or is the author just making things up and calling them rumors.

Insider murmurs are usually always referred to as rumours as they are not officially confirmed.

Skeff

but lets say the game at 60fps on 1080p with all settings turned up is pretty much as the apex of a game on a tv.

mid range pcs can hit that.

high end pcs can kill that.

the consoles still only come half way to that.

But how about Multi monitor setups?

4k Tv's?

I'm not saying the PS4 version is going to be better than the best Pc's because it's not, that's clear as day, everyone should agree with that, but it's the variation in PC's that muddy the statement.

There will be PC's that absolutely stomp the PS4, but if your going to say one platform is going to be the definitive, it would always be a console, because what you get on your console, is the same as what everyone else get's on their console. (providing you have the same console ofc)

antitrop

And you're probably not even going as far back as you could, though I found it frustrating how that lacked shoulder buttons and start/select.
My PC gaming started with Wolfenstein 3D and Commander Keen. Gravis Gamepad is practically synonymous with the latter.

Contra11

Banned
Why there are posts in every console spec or tech thread that remind us about superiority of the PC version ?

its funny how insecure pc guys are ..

Aiming maybe. But I'm not used to WASD movement, so I usually end up with imprecise movement, and getting to the other keys to switch weapons, jump, or press an action button is usually a problem for me.

WASD isn't too difficult getting used to. Also if you change the control settings on your pc, it can be very, very intuitive.

Leaning with Q and E, reloading with R, jumping with Space, crouching with c or shift, using things with f, granades with G, etc. You don't have to move your hand away from WASD to do any of them. Also for games that have a lot of powers (mass effect for an example), you can just assign them to a number keys and they are a lot faster to activate that way.

But I gotta agree for games like Watch Dogs where driving will be important, WASD won't be as good as a analogue controller.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
There will be PC's that absolutely stomp the PS4, but if your going to say one platform is going to be the definitive, it would always be a console, because what you get on your console, is the same as what everyone else get's on their console.

I was going to respond to your other post, but then I saw this and realized there was more truth in what I just said than I originally thought.

Heysoos

Why there are posts in every console spec or tech threads that remind us about superiority of the PC version ?

Can I post "its funny how insecure ps4 guys are .." in every thread that turns into PS4 vs Xbox One then? Or is that not allowed?

iCmoC0Bm.jpg

I still have that controller. Flip it over for left handed use. Also screw in the analog stick. It was awesome.

Why there are posts in every console spec or tech thread that remind us about superiority of the PC version ?

I don't understand why on a gaming forum it would be discouraged to mention a powerful gaming platform in a thread about "definitive version" of a game that is on the platform.

I doubt this very much. Even if the PS4 was more powerful why would lazy devs bother to take advantage of it? Plus it would get MS mad at them.
It's because they're lazy, actually.

The GPU in the XBone is only two-thirds as powerful as the one in the PS4, but that assumes the XBone's GPU is fully fed, and the DDR3 is only able to keep it half fed. That explains the comments about "unoptimized" code running at 1080p30 on PS4 but 900p20-something on XBone.

That's where the eSRAM comes in. It's supposed to help XBone reach that spec'd two-thirds performance; not quite 900p30. Problem is, because the eSRAM is comparatively minuscule, it can't even achieve that two-thirds performance 100% of the time, and according to developers it's a pain to work with and again, they're pretty lazy by nature. :p

Miguel81

WASD isn't too difficult getting used to. Also if you change the control settings on your pc, it can be very, very intuitive.

Leaning with Q and E, reloading with R, jumping with Space, crouching with c or shift, using things with f, granades with G, etc. You don't have to move your hand away from WASD to do any of them. Also for games that have a lot of powers (mass effect for an example), you can just assign them to a number keys and they are a lot faster to activate that way.

But I gotta agree for games like Watch Dogs where driving will be important, WASD won't be as good as a analogue controller.

I think the greatest thing is being able to jump and control the camera at the same time. It's something that spoiled me big time in the last 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom