• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale [Up: Sony registers domain]

Endo Punk

Some of the PS characters are pretty niche but the whole point of such a game is not to just release well known characters but some from the past era so that gamers could get to know them and expose such characters to the fanbase. And then maybe somewhere down the line when the characters are well liked their IPs could be resurrected, like Medieval, Dark Cloud and Legend of Dragoon for example.

Is this your first time on the internet?

But there is some GameFAQs-grade bullshit going on here. One expects a bit better of NeoGaf.

I mean, I thought this was already established...

Why so dismissive?

Isn't Superbot formed by former Sony Santa Monica / Naughty Dog and other employees?

The game will probably be awesome.

...so at the very least, the game should come close to resembling something playable. Sheesh.

Wow some of you are ridiculous,you know nothing about this new studio or how it works,

Yet we have already saying it will half baked. I mean what the hell?

There are a lot of things that could go wrong here.

1) It needs to be incredibly accessible.
2) It needs to have a wide selection of Sony characters, past and present.
3) It needs incredibly strong 3rd party support (cross promotion on blogs, videos etc)
4) Marketing needs to hit hard. We need to see it everywhere.
5) It needs to support at least 4 players online and offline.
6) In an ideal world there would be a Vita version with cross platform play and cloud saves.
7) High production values including excellent art. It'll be interesting to see how they blend the art styles together into one cohesive game.
8) It needs to feature on stage at E3, Gamescom and TGS. This is one of the few Sony IP's that will have truly large potential for big sales in Japan, NA and the EU. Provided the roster and marketing is bang on, this could be big.

The company was founded and this game produced by Sharon Studhill, so there is pedigree there and I suspect they'll have had a lot of Santa Monica support. Still, they are new and there are a lot of things that could go wrong.

More than anything, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the long forgotten characters again. In my heart of hearts I hope this brings attention to them by more gamers and that they get a new instalment in their respective series over time.

Man, I wonder how brutal Kratos' attacks will be. It will be a bit disturbing to see him slice someone like Ratchet to pieces.

This will be one of the biggest problems IMO. I think this game needs to have the lowest age rating possible. However, this runs the risk of the Kratos fans not getting what they want out of that character.

9J8pA.jpg

better be in there

This will be one of the biggest problems IMO. I think this game needs to have the lowest age rating possible. However, this runs the risk of the Kratos fans not getting what they want out of that character.

Kratos was implemented fairly well in Everybody's Golf: World Tour, so i'm sure he can been toned down for this game.

SykoTech

Kratos obvious won't be ripping characters apart, and I don't see how that's a big problem. Dante doesn't rip anybody up in Marvel 3 like he does in the DMC games, but it didn't bother people.

They should really push the comedy, have Kratos use big foam versions of his wepons that squeak when they hit.

Also have him say ''Why am I even angry any more?!''

Kratos was implemented fairly well in Everybody's Golf: World Tour, so i'm sure he can been toned down for this game.

Yes but he wasn't clubbing fellow players round the face with his 9-Iron in that game, and GoW is a series famed for its visceral brutality.

Snake was implemented fairly well in SSB, but GoW is on a different level. Then again making the Chimera mauling a Sackboy not mentally disturbing will be a challenge.

Like the name, but it could be better. Least it's not Title Fight.

... Can we create a name that sounds as good as Super Smash Bros?

Anybody else want a game more akin to Power Stone than SSB?

With weapon pick ups from all kinds of games, special move sets (heavy, who are slower but stronger, and light, who are faster with combos but more injury prone), and special finisher weapons.

With weapon pick ups from all kinds of games, special move sets (heavy, who are slower but stronger, and light, who are faster with combos but more injury prone), and special finisher weapons.

Judging by the leaked Sweet Tooth screenshot, wasn't it confirmed to be more like Power Stone?

Loudninja

Kratos obvious won't be ripping characters apart, and I don't see how that's a big problem. Dante doesn't rip anybody up in Marvel 3 like he does in the DMC games, but it didn't bother people.
Its not going to be a problem.

Having Kratos and Drake going act it would be just to funny to give a damn. :p

Like the name, but it could be better. Least it's not Title Fight.

... Can we create a name that sounds as good as Super Smash Bros?

The Official Sony First-party Lighthearted Fighting Game.

Sylver

Banned
Alundra
Ape Escape
Buzz!
Everybody's Golf
EyeToy
EyePet
Dark Cloud
Demon's Souls
God of War
Gran Turismo
Gravity Daze
Heavenly Sword
Heavy Rain
Ico
Infamous
Invizimals
Jak and Daxter
Killzone
Little Big Planet
LocoRoco
Medievil
ModNation Racers
Motorstorm
PaRappa the Rapper
Patapon
Ratchet & Clank
Resistance
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow of the Colossus
SingStar
Sly Cooper
Syphon Filter
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us
The Legend of Dragoon
The Getaway
Twisted Metal
Uncharted
UmJammer Lammy
Wipeout
Toro/Kuro Characters

No idea how may of those franchises can fit in a fighting game :S.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I really hope the fighting stages and character lineup are diverse and make good use of Sony's japanese stuff as well as western. A Patapon battle arena is an absolute must, and characters like Kat from Gravity Daze would make for a welcome change to Drake, Kratos, Cole et al.

If this game is executed half as well as it should be, I think people will be surprised how much of a run for quality and breadth of licenses it can give Smash Brothers (although guest 'PlayStation' franchises like FF7 would send it into overdrive)

Alundra
Ape Escape
Buzz! No.
Everybody's Golf
EyeToy Wut? That one kung fu guy from that one part of that one game?
EyePet
Dark Cloud
Demon's Souls
God of War
Gran Turismo
Gravity Daze
Heavenly Sword
Heavy Rain This would be fucking hilarious.
Ico
Infamous
Invizimals
Jak and Daxter
Killzone
Little Big Planet
LocoRoco Because there was so much fighting in that game.
Medievil
ModNation Racers
Motorstorm
PaRappa the Rapper
Patapon
Ratchet & Clank
Resistance
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow of the Colossus
SingStar Loss for words.
Sly Cooper
Syphon Filter
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us
The Legend of Dragoon
The Getaway
Twisted Metal
Uncharted
UmJammer Lammy
Wipeout
Toro/Kuro Characters

No idea how may of those franchises can fit in a fighting game :S.

Less than you'd think

Darknight

I really hope the fighting stages and character lineup are diverse and make good use of Sony's japanese stuff as well as western. A Patapon battle arena is an absolute must, and characters like Kat from Gravity Daze would make for a welcome change to Drake, Kratos, Cole et al.

If this game is executed half as well as it should be, I think people will be surprised how much of a run for quality and breadth of licenses it can give Smash Brothers (although guest 'PlayStation' franchises like FF7 would send it into overdrive)

People would shit bricks if Cloud model from FF7 PS3 2006 demo made it in. Lol

SSReborn

I'm sure Sony can get one character from NetherRealm, Capcom and Namco seeing as they let one of their characters be used in their fighting games

The Official Sony First-party Lighthearted Fighting Game.

Sony SmackDown! Guest commentary by The Rock.
Sony Slam Sisters!
Super Bash Bros

This is my fear too. They better get some third party, Japanese characters, and the thematics better feel Japanese, I hate the idea of a realistic, dark game with the incredibly generic humanoids consisting of Nathan Drake, Nathan Hale, and Cole McGrath. Not that I wouldn't want them, but bring out the cartoony, honest to god fun cast of Ratchet, Cpt. Quark, Dr. Nefarious, Clank, Jak, and a whole bunch of guys from older Japanese games. I'd love to see some game references from Dark Cloud, older FF games, etc.

I'm actually so excited for this

BlackJace

Sony, you have a chance to make something fun and entertaining for all audiences. Don't half ass it in favor of another brown shooter please.

Loudninja

I was looking at the pictures on Superbot and it looks like 4 people were holding a controller each.

I guess that goes without saying that the game will have 4 player battles.

Edit:It looks like they have about 50 people working for them, most likely more by now.

I was looking at the pictures on Superbot and it looks like 4 people were holding a controller each.

I guess that goes without saying that the game will have 4 player battles.

Edit:It looks like they have abotu 50 people working for them, most likely more by now.

Yeah saw that alright. There's one lad who looks a bit like Ted Price too. Maybe Sony cloned him as part of the Insomniac 3rd party thing

KingK

Wow some of you are ridiculous,you know nothing about this new studio or how it works.

Yet we have already saying it will be half baked. I mean what the hell?

Seriously. I've noticed since towards the end of last year that NeoGaf has been getting progressively more and more negative and cynical (at least on gaming side). I've been sticking to off-topic more because of this.

I think this game could have the potential to be really awesome. I've been wanting a Sony version of Smash Bros. since like 2004, so I'm hoping they execute it really well. It's good to hear that the studio making it has some talent too. Their website design is great.

Sintoid

First LBP Kart Racing, then Sony Smash Bros... that's not what I want from Sony...

(Ok, ok I saw Kevin Butler costume for LBPKart and now I want it...)

tribal24

Banned
i would love to see sony , use older stuff when we finally do get the reveal. Like a vib ribbon stage would be awesome and should be the only stage you can custom soundtrack*. Use stuff thats memorable such Mascot costume Crash bandicoot in the backround in a mall stage with a loud speaker. It would be horrible if they dont use there nostalgia and presense from there ps1 days.

Top Bottom