• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale [Up: Sony registers domain]

Playstation Battle Royale sounds good actually. Maybe they should remove the "all stars"? Or Playstation Power Battle

A title that isn't a mouthful is always good

jett

D-Member
This thing needs a branding of its own, like "Smash Bros". A bunch of generic words won't cut it. I like Battle Opera out of all the suggestions put forward.

...they'll probably go with the title in the OP, if "Playstation Move Heroes" is any indication.

Raonak

Banned
Well, anythings better than Title Fight.

Thought Just Playstation battle royale or sony battle royale would've been better.

Acrylic7

The "Sony doesn't have a big enough roster" claims are still ridiculous. They have plenty of recognizable characters.

who the crap is saying this?
Sony has a bigger Character roster than Nintendo and MS combined.
people act as if Sony only existed this gen or something. playstation franchises all the way from ps1 to today, they have more that enough. So much in fact that DLC would be a must because if they released a game will all of the potential characters one an a already unlocked roster, it would be overwhelming.

not to mention cameos like Sonic in Brawl.

Dug

Banned
I'm curious to see how they will make it play/look without it seeming like a Smash Bros. ripoff. Really looking forward to the game though.

prwxv3

I'm curious to see how they will make it play/look without it seeming like a Smash Bros. ripoff. Really looking forward to the game though.

It is still going to be accused of being a ripoff no matter how different it could be.

jett

D-Member

We don't know anything about the gameplay, do we? Maybe it'll be 3D and not 2D, more like Power Stone.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
who the crap is saying this?
Sony has a bigger Character roster than Nintendo and MS combined.
people act as if Sony only existed this gen or something. playstation franchises all the way from ps1 to today, they have more that enough. So much in fact that DLC would be a must because if they released a game will all of the potential characters one an a already unlocked roster, it would be overwhelming.

not to mention cameos like Sonic in Brawl.

They have a large roster, sure, but honestly, how many non-Sony fans would even remember characters like Sir Daniel Fortesque?

Edit: Also, I'm still salty about Sony not putting Medievil 2 up on EU PSN.

prwxv3

How many non-Nintendo fans knew half of Melee's roster when it came out? Hell i'm sure there were Nintendo fans that couldn't even name some of those characters.

This. Nintendo uses smash bros to get people to know old characters before they make a new game with those old characters like with Pit.

Combichristoffersen

How many non-Nintendo fans knew half of Melee's roster when it came out? Hell i'm sure there were Nintendo fans that couldn't even name some of those characters.

Nintendo fans are so rabidly batshit insane they could tell you what underwear Miyamoto was wearing February 3rd, 1985.

Characters like Link, Mario, Zelda, Samus, Luigi, Kirby etc. are well-known characters that basically every gamer knows. Sony doesn't really have any characters like that besides Kratos, and to a lesser degree Jak, Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, I'd say.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Outside of the Fire Emblem characters, they are all pretty iconic if you had any NES 80's culture and were around the SNES era.

But making a roster for an all-star brawler does not mean you need 20 iconic characters. It works best with a mix of icons, sleepers, and straight up niche.

Penguin

Wouldn't the original SMash Bros be a more apt comparison?

Because Melee partially sold on how well the original was received, not necessarily because OMG Nintendo characters.

prwxv3

If this is real I do hope the retarded as fuck subset of Nintendo fanboys get madder then hell and start telling everyone that sony has copied Nintendo again and has created their own smash bros. It could get some buzz around it .

Acrylic7

exactly. I had no idea who Marth, Roy, Ness, Ice Climbers were. and Captain Falcon. And I'm a gamer
heck, pretty sure Marth and Roy ssbm is how tons of people where more aware of Fire Emblem. and their other franchises.

Characters like Link, Mario, Zelda, Samus, Luigi, Kirby etc. are well-known characters that basically every gamer knows. Sony doesn't really have any characters like that besides Kratos, and to a lesser degree Jak, Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, I'd say.

Sony has tons of memorable characters. They just aren't as..... used as Nintendo. hell, people are reminded of Mario, Zelda, Metroid every single day.

Combichristoffersen

exactly. I had no idea who Marth, Roy, Ness, Ice Climbers were. and Captain Falcon.

Really? You didn't know Captain Falcon was from the F-Zero series? As for Ice Climbers, that's somewhat understandable, as the original game is older than England anyway.

Sony has tons of memorable characters. They just aren't as..... used as Nintendo. hell, people are reminded of Mario, Zelda, Metroid every single day.

Which ones? I love Sony, despite them being incompetent buttmonkeys for the last 6 years or so, but yeah.. I don't really think they have a lot of memorable characters besides those I mentioned. This is obviously partially due to them having a tendency to 'kill off' characters for each new console they release.

Acrylic7

Which ones? I love Sony, despite them being incompetent buttmonkeys for the last 6 years or so, but yeah.. I don't really think they have a lot of memorable characters besides those I mentioned. This is obviously partially due to them having a tendency to 'kill off' characters for each new console they release.
just a fraction of what could be
playstation_icons_by_torsor-d49ycta.jpg

totowhoa

Banned
Just stick with "All-Stars Battle Royale" and take out the playstation off the name.

Agreed, but even I'm iffy on that name. Definitely an improvement though... just keep PS out of the name. It makes it sound kind of hokey.

Super Battle Royale or something would be great IMO. The "Super" term, along with being a time-tested and appropriate video game adjective, would call back to "Super Smash Brothers" as well, which I think would do the game a favor, in that the layman gamer might more quickly understand what this game is about.

KillGore

Agreed, but even I'm iffy on that name. Definitely an improvement though... just keep PS out of the name. It makes it sound like some kind of hokey. Super Battle Royale or something would be great IMO. The "Super" term, along with being a time-tested and appropriate video game adjective, would call back to "Super Smash Brothers" as well, which I think would do the game a favor so that they layman gamer would get what this game was about instantly.

Yep, I agree. For example, Playstation move heroes is just a horrible name in my opinion, I really liked it when it was known as Heroes on the Move.

Really? You didn't know Captain Falcon was from the F-Zero series? As for Ice Climbers, that's somewhat understandable, as the original game is older than England anyway.

I didn't know who captain falcon, falco, Ness, Marth, Roy, Lucas, Pit, Wolf, etc were, yet I still enjoyed them as much as the other "famous" characters.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
maybe it'll be a fighting game instead of a smash bros game

:(

I doubt they will go for something like SF or MK, the developer is a no name studio and we didn't hear they have an expert in fighting games or some former capcom guy or something like that, if anything they will go for Naruto Ninja Storm (friendly mindless mashing)style.

Combichristoffersen

just a fraction of what could be
playstation_icons_by_torsor-d49ycta.jpg

There's Sackboy, Kratos, Ratchet/Clank, Sly and Jak/Daxter. But the rest? Angry clown from a series no one outside the US has ever given a shit about, alien from the Resistance series, protagonist from Heavenly Short, generic space nazi soldier, generic white male in his early 30s with buzzcut and lightning powers, and the serial killer from the Uncharted games. None of them really have much clout with people who aren't already Sony fans.

Misterhbk

Make it like Power Stone and I'll be extremely happy. Man I can't wait for E3. Hopefully this game is announced and shown there.

There's Sackboy, Kratos, Ratchet/Clank, Sly and Jak/Daxter. But the rest? Angry clown from a series no one outside the US has ever given a shit about, alien from the Resistance series, protagonist from Heavenly Short, generic space nazi soldier, generic white male in his early 30s with buzzcut and lightning powers, and the serial killer from the Uncharted games. None of them really have much clout with people who aren't already Sony fans.

But it's a Sony exclusive so why would it matter to anyone but Sony fans. Those are all big games on the PS3 (with exception to Jak/Daxter and Heavenly sword).

SmithnCo

You are seriously dismissing Drake and Cole? C'mon now.

Besides, this is going to be marketed toward Sony fans so I don't really see the problem. Non-fans could just see a fun fighting game.

Seriously? If you can so easily sum up Cole as "generic white male with lightning powers", I'd hate to see how many of the Smash characters could be sumed up as.

Combichristoffersen

But it's a Sony exclusive so why would it matter to anyone but Sony fans. Those are all big games on the PS3 (with exception to Jak/Daxter and Heavenly sword).

Draw in people that are familiar with the characters, but aren't necessarily fans of all the franchises. If they have only Kratos, Sackboy, Ratchet and Jak as recognizable characters, it wouldn't really appeal to anyone but those who would be likely to buy it anyway.

Now now. Drake is more properly a mass murderer.

Can you be a serial killer and a mass murderer at the same time? A serial mass murderer? I think he's slightly racist too, he seems to shoot a hefty lot of brown people.

And everyone knows Sully is the real main character in Uncharted anyway.

You are seriously dismissing Drake and Cole? C'mon now.

Seriously? If you can so easily sum up Cole as "generic white male with lightning powers", I'd hate to see how many of the Smash characters could be sumed up as.

Drake is a charming mufucka (although obviously no <3 Sully <3), and Cole is decent enough (as I like both their respective series), but to people who haven't already played the games and know these characters, they really wouldn't be seeing much more than generic white guy with a gun, and generic white guy with electric hands.

Nathan Drake is fucking known, now. Especially within the gaming circle.

Acrylic7

yeah, starting to think you are just trolling.
if you had a ps2 then you know who Sweetooth is

The Chimera are from the ps3's greatest fps and Insomniacs second greates game they made

I don't even remember the She-Kratos name so I get what you are saying there. But her moves would make for an excellent character

don't diss the Hellghast, unless you are speaking of the crap that was kz3

Cole is just as recognizable as Drake at this point so he good to go as well.

These all make for excellent fighters
this game is about fan service after all, its the whole point of the game, isn't it?

Penguin

yeah, starting to think you are just trolling.
if you had a ps2 then you know who Sweetooth is

The Chimera are from the ps3's greatest fps and Insomniacs second greates game they made

I don't even remember the She-Kratos name so I get what you are saying there. But her moves would make for an excellent character

don't diss the Hellghast, unless you are speaking of the crap that was kz3

Cole is just as recognizable as Drake at this point so he good to go as well.

These all make for excellent fighters
this game is about fan service after all, its the whole point of the game, isn't it?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I think his point is, outside of like Sony's crowd, the average consumer would have no idea who most of these characters are.

I think this game is going to be interesting, but the potential for success is up in the air. Really depends on how they market it.

Not like Nintendo is without their lesser known characters in SSB.

Top Bottom