• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Playstation Vita dropping Feb 28th in USA (supposedly leaked from PS Blog)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/0...-february-28-2012-leaked-by-playstation-blog/

Several minutes ago, the PlayStation Blog accidentally hit the “publish” button and posted the PlayStation Vita news showing the release date for North America. With their quick reflexes, the article was taken down and was placed into drafts.

When the article was posted for briefly a minute or two, it says that the PlayStation Vita has the release window of February 28, 2012. Not sure yet if this is 100% confirmed as we didn’t get a chance to take a screen capture of the article. Either way, we’ll hear about the release date this week and releasing the Vita two months after Japan isn’t bad. Let’s just hope the hype won’t die until then.

Well, I’ll still import it. Check back with us near the end of the year for our coverage for the Vita.

LQX

Wow, they really should have pushed to release it this holiday in the US if in fact the US release date seems just two months away from the Japanese one. I don't think the holiday matters as much to Japan as it does in the US.

daffy

Banned
oh snap. time to go cray

lil-b-kreayshawn.gif

LQX said:
Wow, they really should have pushed to release it this holiday in the US if in fact the US release date seems just two months away from the Japanese one. I don't think the holiday matters as much to Japan as it does in the US.

Probably wanted to let the PS3 have a holiday season by itself at $250. I don't think Vita would take away a lot of hardware sales but I think it would obviously soak up money that would normally be spent on PS3 software.

Companies tagging PS Vita in photos of unannounced games and now accidentally publishing drafts...really.

Guess I will be going pretty easy on spending this holiday in anticipation of the new hardware. I hope we get a robust lineup with some RPG in it for launch.

Toki767

In before hackers put that info on the blog since PSN is down.

Seriously though February seems good. I was thinking it'd be March but the sooner the better.

Gaborn

I've always thought since the Vita was going to miss this holiday season it was, well, not going to be DOA but was going to be disappointing from a sales perspective given the large amount of hype. It's $250, it's not a holiday item which cuts impulse buys a little bit, it's end of february... I mean, will it sell? Sure. Is it going to catch the 3DS anytime soon? I'd bet heavily against it. Maybe I'm wrong but I get the sense people thought Vita would have a chance to "dethrone" the 3DS, a perspective that was only bolstered by the 3DS's early struggles and Nintendo's need to massively cut the price so early and... I just don't see it.

If someone DOES happen to subscribe to the view the Vita is going to finish ahead of the 3DS I guess my question is... when do you see the streams crossing? I expect the 3DS to outsell the Vita in 2012 and by much more than the difference between January/February sales so the Vita's slow start won't count.

Gaborn said:
I've always thought since the Vita was going to miss this holiday season it was, well, not going to be DOA but was going to be disappointing from a sales perspective given the large amount of hype. It's $250, it's not a holiday item which cuts impulse buys a little bit, it's end of february... I mean, will it sell? Sure. Is it going to catch the 3DS anytime soon? I'd bet heavily against it. Maybe I'm wrong but I get the sense people thought Vita would have a chance to "dethrone" the 3DS, a perspective that was only bolstered by the 3DS's early struggles and Nintendo's need to massively cut the price so early and... I just don't see it.

If someone DOES happen to subscribe to the view the Vita is going to finish ahead of the 3DS I guess my question is... when do you see the streams crossing? I expect the 3DS to outsell the Vita in 2012 and by much more than the difference between January/February sales so the Vita's slow start won't count.

Gaborn, you're creeping me out bro! First us agreeing in the China Volt thread and now this? What is happening! Anyway, I agree. The 3DS will pick up some nice numbers with Mario Kart, Mario Land, and Christmas over the next few months. It isn't too difficult to see the 3DS being in the 7-8 million range by the end of the year. Add in the price difference with the Vita and you're looking at a difficult road ahead for it to eclipse the 3DS.

daoster

If it's released this holiday season, it'll be competing for mindshare with a million of different products:
- All the amazing games being released this holiday season (including the big kaboom that is CoD)
- iPhone 5
- Nexus Prime (or Droid Prime or whatever).

Now granted there's the possibility of it competing with the iPad 3 being release, but at the very least, it'll own the mindshare when it comes to video games if February is indeed true.

The holiday season is much too crowded in NA, February is a better opportunity.

Gaborn

ClovingSteam said:
Gaborn, you're creeping me out bro! First us agreeing in the China Volt thread and now this? What is happening! Anyway, I agree. The 3DS will pick up some nice numbers with Mario Kart, Mario Land, and Christmas over the next few months. It isn't too difficult to see the 3DS being in the 7-8 million range by the end of the year. Add in the price difference with the Vita and you're looking at a difficult road ahead for it to eclipse the 3DS.

Man, I've been saying basically the same thing for a while. People have had wayyyyyyyyyyy too high expectations for the Vita. It's a solid system but it REALLY is a PSP2 and I wouldn't be surprised to see it follow a similarly modest sales track for a while, not embarrassing itself not lighting the world on fire.

daoster said:
If it's released this holiday season, it'll be competing for mindshare with a million of different products:
- All the amazing games being released this holiday season (including the big kaboom that is CoD)
- iPhone 5
- Nexus Prime (or Droid Prime or whatever).

Now granted there's the possibility of it competing with the iPad 3 being release, but at the very least, it'll own the mindshare when it comes to video games if February is indeed true.

The holiday season is much too crowded in NA, February is a better opportunity.

COD will still be selling in the bucketloads in Feb and lets not forget that its a game whereas Vita is hardware.
iPhone 5 will still be sold out by February
Nexus Prime shouldn't even be thrown into the discussion

Vita is letting the 3DS have an entire holiday for itself with games like Mario Land, Mario Kart, and more. That is a dumb decision.

Gaborn said:
Man, I've been saying basically the same thing for a while. People have had wayyyyyyyyyyy too high expectations for the Vita. It's a solid system but it REALLY is a PSP2 and I wouldn't be surprised to see it follow a similarly modest sales track for a while, not embarrassing itself not lighting the world on fire.

Hardware wise it blows the 3DS out of the water. Potential it blows the 3DS out of the water. Price the 3DS blows it out of the water. 1st party games the 3DS blows it out of the water. And then again 3DS will have had an entire holiday to itself. I really don't see it being that different from the DS/PSP days. Although I doubt either will be selling in the 80-150 million.

A very believable date. That would put it right at te start of the 5 week long March NPD sales tracking period. That makes for maximum positive press coverage (giving the Vita an unfair advantage over the 3DS' launch that the incompetent press will fail to pick up on) and also leaves the console launch comfortably clear of the March AAA game release blast radius.

Count me as a believer here.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Gaborn said:

There is no way Vita will beat the 3DS. Sony is looking at the Vita in the long term but it will still be second to the 3DS. I hope sales are better than the PSP though. Nintendo did the right thing with the price change and it's future game line up is very good. I still think the Vita is a way better handheld and a step in the right direction for all handhelds-it's pretty much perfect.

Gaborn said:

I'm on your side here. A one year head start, an $80 price advantage, and a competition-free holiday in every region (with the exception of a few days in Japan) gives me little hope that the Vita will ever come close to 3DS sales. I see it doing less than the original PSP, actually. Then again, I could see the 3DS doing less than the DS as well.

Top Bottom