• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sonic Adventure coming to XBLA

V_Arnold

RobbieNick said:
It has incredibly boring Emerald shard hunts, mediocre Mech Shooting and slightly poor controls on Sonic/Shadow levels. SA1 was way better IMO.

It's only saving grace was "Battle"'s multiplayer.

Controls were nothing but poor on Sonic/Shadow levels. Maybe my 180 hours put into it clouds my memory, of course. A-rank hunting was awesome.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HUELEN10 said:
You should. There are so many little touches if you just look closely. :D Definitely worth a replay.
yeah, there's a lot of jankiness in some of the design, but there's just an amount of effort that was put into SA1 that hasn't been put into any of the 3D Sonic games since

I'd imagine the budget was relatively huge?

eso76

SA1 was an unbelievable roller coaster run full of ideas. The game wouldn't stop surprising you with clever design and nice touches; an almost non stop "holy shit moments" crescendo.
That, and lots and lots of content and variety, with tons of decent minigames and the well fleshed out Chao breeding stuff, complete with memcard tamagotchi stuff.
Awesome soundtrack too
Yeah, i believe the budget was pretty huge

HUELEN10

eso76 said:
SA1 was an unbelievable roller coaster run full of ideas. The game wouldn't stop surprising you with clever design and nice touches; an almost non stop "holy shit moments" crescendo.
That, and lots and lots of content and variety, with tons of decent minigames and the well fleshed out Chao breeding stuff, complete with memcard tamagotchi stuff.
Awesome soundtrack too
Not only that, but they actually went on location to fucking Tikal.
fe0ydf.jpg

Seriously, they put so much honest effort into this one, something that wouldn't be seen again from then until 2008...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
you're comparing the ambition of SA1 to Unleashed? really?

HUELEN10

Rez said:
you're comparing the ambition of SA1 to Unleashed? really?
No I am not. I was very straight-forward...

I said effort. It doesn't take a genius to realize that the 08 game had real effort put into it.

[Nintex]

HUELEN10 said:
Not only that, but they actually went on location to fucking Tikal.
fe0ydf.jpg

Seriously, they put so much honest effort into this one, something that wouldn't be seen again from then until 2008...
And Yuji Naka was given a Ferrari because we all know what developers who drive in expensive cars make better games. SAY-GUH

HUELEN10 said:
Um...

Gamma (I am not talking about Chaos Gamma from Sonic Battle) was a she. :lol

It's a robot. It's genderless. Although if you were going to attach a gender to it, male would be more accurate, seeing as how E-102 Gamma is voiced by a male, and is referred to as "he" by Amy.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Just give me the first level of Sonic Adventure 2 as a game, that'll do.

Ben2749 said:
It's a robot. It's genderless. Although if you were going to attach a gender to it, male would be more accurate, seeing as how E-102 Gamma is voiced by a male, and is referred to as "he" by Amy.

I hate myself for remembering this, but Gamma is actually a Flicky trapped inside a robot, so it technically has a gender. I don`t know how you tell a Flicky`s gender though...

I don't mind the emerald hunting, it's extremely easy in SA1 and in SA2 it's a bit of a chore at first but when you revisit the stages and learn the layouts, it's also much faster. What doesn't help in SA2 is that the radar only works for one shard at a time, not all 3, this was the biggest problem. The stages themselves were big but that wasn't the problem imo.

UraMallas said:
I would definitely play (and beat) Skies of Arcadia for a third time on a third system.

Shoot, they can release Skies of Arcadia 2 on XBLA only and I wouldnt care at this point :D

eso76 said:
Awesome soundtrack too

I just loved how you could run around as various characters, explore secrets, and enter levels at your own will. SA1 was DEFINITELY in the right direction for the Sonic series as far as Sonic 3D action/adventure(and not just straight up platforming). They really need a Sonic Adventure 3 but Naka's gone from the Sonic Team right?

Alpha_eX

Has anyone mentioned the other games? Why does the PSN seem to have more than XBL, Ecoo, F355, Headhunter and Space Channel 5 aren't on XBL but they are up on PSN...

Hopefully something more interesting than a port comes from the JSR and ChuChu trademark activity recently.

OMG Aero

HUELEN10 said:
Um...

Gamma (I am not talking about Chaos Gamma from Sonic Battle) was a she. :lol
Well I was referring to Shadow when I said that but I don't recall them ever mentioning what gender the bird was and what its relation to the other birds were outside of the fact that it was pink.

Alpha_eX said:
Has anyone mentioned the other games? Why does the PSN seem to have more than XBL, Ecoo, F355, Headhunter and Space Channel 5 aren't on XBL but they are up on PSN...

Hopefully something more interesting than a port comes from the JSR and ChuChu trademark activity recently.
what the hell awesome alternate reality do you live in?

can i come?

zeelman said:
Is Sega just going to ignore its Saturn games? I feel like they are skipping an entire system here. :(
Or it's simply not worth the time and monetary investment to pursue something that will probably only interest a few hundred forumgoers.

onken

zeelman said:
Is Sega just going to ignore its Saturn games? I feel like they are skipping an entire system here. :(

The only game worth playing is Panzer Dragoon Saga and I heard they lost the source code so we're never going to get it :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
VOOK said:
Just give me the first level of Sonic Adventure 2 as a game, that'll do.
Why not just track down the old Dreamcast Demo disk of it then?

I always liked Adventure 2 more, but thats mainly due to the game having a standared level select screen rather then "Walk around the world to find where the level is!" thing.

Alpha_eX

Cosmic Smash too, XBLA gets nothing :(

EDIT: Didn't mean to double post, can anyone else confirm seeing Afterburn Climax up on PN?

wRATH2x

Banned
eso76 said:
Awesome soundtrack too
It was also a great game to boot. Most of the haters are just trying to be part of the crowd saying all 3D Sonics suck when only few actually have legitimate reasons to hating the Adventure games.

So yeah.

Wrath2X said:
It was also a great game to boot. Most of the haters are just trying to be part of the crowd saying all 3D Sonics suck when only few actually have legitimate reasons to hating the Adventure games.

So yeah.
My distaste for Sonic Adventure 2 is perfectly legitimate.

SA1 is coo though.

Tell you what though - the shitty friends weren't all that bad in SA1.

Big was a bit naff obviously, and Amy was annoying (I don't remember her levels too well), but apart from that, they were pretty good, I thought. I always found Gamma to be underrated, and I found the shooting levels in SA2 to be a MASSIVE downgrade.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Alpha_eX said:
Cosmic Smash too, XBLA gets nothing :(

EDIT: Didn't mean to double post, can anyone else confirm seeing Afterburn Climax up on PN?

stop taking a crap on your keyboard

SC5 is on PSN? Woah.

Buit come on Sega, give me ChuChuRocket. Please. It is so obvious to put that on Xbla and Psn. come one. srsly.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Sonic Adventure was great but flawed.

Unfortunately Sonic Adventure 2 took all of those flaws and made a game out of them.

But pound for pound, nothing IMHO was quite as awesome as firing up my DC early 9/9/99 and experiencing the first level of Sonic Adventure. sheer brilliance.

andymcc

Banned
onken said:
The only game worth playing is Panzer Dragoon Saga and I heard they lost the source code so we're never going to get it :(

the only game worth playing on saturn is panzer dragoon saga? :lol

Tranced Shadow said:
Tell you what though - the shitty friends weren't all that bad in SA1.

Big was a bit naff obviously, and Amy was annoying (I don't remember her levels too well), but apart from that, they were pretty good, I thought. I always found Gamma to be underrated, and I found the shooting levels in SA2 to be a MASSIVE downgrade.
Amy's levels get way too much hate. A bit jumbled, sure, but running from Zero was fun. Like a lot of that game, there was definite room for refinement in there had they not decided to ditch them for SA2. :(

And definitely agreed about Gamma. His levels were great in SA because it was all about speed-running. The point of combos was that they added time to your clock (since it was counting down to zero as opposed to just tracking your time), so the levels were about barreling through the levels while blasting everything in your path to stop yourself from running out of time - it's basically a platforming version of Time Crisis! By making combos just about points in SA2, they lost the speed and tension of the Gamma levels and ended up just making them longer and more bloated, kind of like everything that wasn't a Sonic/Shadow level in SA2. Plus, Gamma controlled way better than Tails/Robotnik.

Loam

Disregarding the fact that the gameplay hasn't aged well, what the hell is with the story in in adventure? Hell what the hell is with the story in all 3D sonic games?

SA1 - Chaos god of destruction
SA2 - Genetically engineered anthropomorphic hedgehogs, Implanted memories, Secret experiments to create the ultimate weapon.
Sonic 2k6 - Eternal destroyer (or whatever the hell it was called), Sonic's love interest, telekinetic rodents.
Unleashed - Dark Gia, hogwolf(?).

Seriously? I wish they had simply stayed with the 'Oh no Doc Robotnik is kidnapping all your animal friends, go kick his ass' plot instead of creating all of this heavy over the top drama crap for a game about a cartoon rodent.

Top Bottom