• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor)(spoilers) this Possible UC4 Easter Egg oh boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trt7039-jus

wmOEvOm.png

I like that people think this is part of a multi year strategy by Sony to get Crash back instead of something they simply asked Activison for permission and got the all clear for.

People have been beating the "Sony is getting Crash back" drunk since late 2013! Thats nearly 3 years! If all the Crash mentions on random PlayStation twitter accounts over the years where actually building towards a new game / Sony getting the IP back this year it would be the most perfectly executed long term, multi regional social media plan a corporation has ever done. LOL

I still think a new game will happen and Sony will have a finger in it, co marketing, co producing or straight up licencing the IP for a multi game deal but I dont think the IP rights are going anywhere. Healthy companies dont sell IP. If they do its rare and with a catch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's very ambient style, not over the top and loud like you'd expect from a platformer, which is why I get why people like yourself might not like it, but I really appreciate this style, especially the certain influence and tones from artists like DEVO or Talking Heads.
I adore ambient music but I definitely don't consider the J&D soundtrack a good example of it. Those tracks aren't too bad, though, but I find that the overwhelming majority of the game's music is just dull.

I do prefer driving melodies or genuinely atmosphere building music in my platformers, though.

Scotia

Banned
I like that people think this is part of a multi year strategy by Sony to get Crash back instead of something they simply asked Activison for permission and got the all clear for.

People have been beating the "Sony is getting Crash back" drunk since late 2013! Thats nearly 3 years! If all the Crash mentions on random PlayStation twitter accounts over the years where actually building towards a new game / Sony getting the IP back this year it would be the most perfectly executed long term, multi regional social media plan a corporation has ever done. LOL

I still think a new game will happen and Sony will have a finger in it, co marketing, co producing or straight up licencing the IP for a multi game deal but I dont think the IP rights are going anywhere. Healthy companies dont sell IP. If they do its rare and with a catch.

This would never, ever happen unless a deal had been made. Activision stands to gain nothing from this, so them agreeing to it is ludicrous.

I agree that the more likley scenario is a partnership but a deal was almost certainly not made just for this two minute throwback.

This would never, ever happen unless a deal had been made. Activision stands to gain nothing from this, so them agreeing to it is ludicrous.

I agree that the more likley scenario is a partnership but a deal was almost certainly not made just for this two minute throwback.

I dont think Activision gets nothing out of agreeing to this.

If Activision is tossing around the idea of a new Crash game this seems like free publicity they could use to test the waters and see what the demand is like.

There is a demand there but is it just random forum dwelllers like us? This will get more people talking.

And heck. If a game is already planned and revealing soon then this is a great thing to springboard from.

Scotia

Banned

If Activision is tossing around the idea of a new Crash game this seems like free publicity they could use to test the waters and see what the demand is like.

There is a demand there but is it just random forum dwelllers like us? This will get more people talking.

And heck. If a game is already planned and revealing soon then this is a great thing to springboard from.

I still don't see Activision allowing this just to 'test the waters'. There are far easier ways of doing that. To me, the fact this is a thing shows that something is probably going on between Sony and Activision in terms of Crash. There's just no way this would happen if a deal hadn't been made.

Demand has been well known for a while now. I remember hearing from somwhere that whenever a website posts an article about Crash Bandicoot the article gets swamped with traffic. I rememeber when the toy guy said Crash and Sony in the same sentance and it appeared twice on my facebook feed from two major UK group page and was on the facebook trending section, so yeah the demand has always been there. People are thristy af for Crash and Sony at least knows it.

And yes, this would be a great thing to springboard from.

SNURB

Wrestleman made a LENGTHY document of how much traffic Crash rumors brought in from various sites. If he was here now he'd be able to pull it up.

Shit, they actually got married? I remember nothing about Uncharted 3. Except Ghost Rider was in it.

They got married since 2. Actually they both wear rings and Elena mentions something about playing with your wife in the video. Yeah they are wife and husband and ND confirmed that after Uncharted 4 showing. They didn't get divorced as many thought that in the previous game.

Rembrandt

Banned

renewed interest in an IP of theirs for free. it's literally free promotion for an IP they don't care about anymore. there's no reason for them to say no.

renewed interest in an IP of theirs for free. it's literally free promotion for an IP they don't care about anymore. there's no reason for them to say no.

If they don't care about it, why would they be up for promoting it?

And why would they consider an un-marketed appearance in an M-rated console exclusive acceptable promotion for an IP traditionally targeted at children across a variety of platfors?

I don't think it's out of the question that Crash being in UC4 is a matter of licensing, I just think these arguments are ill-conceived.

And why would they consider an un-marketed appearance in an M-rated console exclusive acceptable promotion for an IP traditionally targeted at children across a variety of platfors?

I don't think it's out of the question that Crash being in UC4 is a matter of licensing, I just think these arguments are ill-conceived.

Because right now the only people who remember who Crash is are old.

Makes sense to play to that base a bit for cheap nostalgia.

Rembrandt

Banned

because they're not putting any effort in and it's the last game in the former dev's biggest series in terms of promotion so it's not outside the realm of possibility to think they wouldn't have a problem with ND recreating a quick bit.

it's better promotion for the series than anything else. people that grew up with crash are old enough to play this game.

Because right now the only people who remember who Crash is are old.

Makes sense to play to that base a bit for cheap nostalgia.

Yeah, it makes perfect sense to do that... for Sony. For Activision it's worthless. Activision DO NOT CARE if adults are thinking about their children's IP.

Look, guys, let's make it simple. Here's the only plausible reasons Activision says "yes" to Sony's request to use Crash 1 like this.

• Sony pays them money. Obviously a licensing free is always involved in these matters, and who doesn't like money?
  • Goodwill. Activison looking a little bit less tyrannical with their properties and with the hearts and minds of gamers might be something they're interested in right now.
  • Maybe Activision agrees to this and in return, Sony gives Activision a little something, like more of a marketing push for Infinite Wafare or something.
  • Any combination of the three.

That's it. This doesn't promote the IP or "build the brand" in a way Activison could make use of. Plenty of reasons like that for a Sony That Has Control Of Crash to put Crash 1 in Uncharted 4, but for Activision, that's it. Book closed.

SNURB

Yeah, it makes perfect sense to do that... for Sony. For Activision it's worthless. Activision DO NOT CARE if adults are thinking about their children's IP.

Look, guys, let's make it simple. Here's the only plausible reasons Activision says "yes" to Sony's request to use Crash 1 like this.

• Sony pays them money. Obviously a licensing free is always involved in these matters, and who doesn't like money?
  • Goodwill. Activison looking a little bit less tyrannical with their properties and with the hearts and minds of gamers might be something they're interested in right now.
  • Maybe Activision agrees to this and in return, Sony gives Activision a little something, like more of a marketing push for Infinite Wafare or something.
  • Any combination of the three.

That's it. This doesn't promote the IP or "build the brand" in a way Activison could make use of. Plenty of reasons like that for a Sony That Has Control Of Crash to put Crash 1 in Uncharted 4, but for Activision, that's it. Book closed.
You make good points.

BUT DOES anyone find it weird that it is Sony who is pushing the Crash hype and not Activision? I mean, for a couple of months now we've witnessed some various teases and hints from Sony's side like Shawn's shirt. Not one little hint or tease from Activision whatsoever. I mean, I know Acti's not the kind of company who would do this sort of thing but it strikes me as odd that they wouldn't put their hand on this since they own the IP as far as we know. Are they that afraid of risk?

You make good points.

BUT DOES anyone find it weird that it is Sony who is pushing the Crash hype and not Activision? I mean, for a couple of months now we've witnessed some various teases and hints from Sony's side like Shawn's shirt. Not one little hint or tease from Activision whatsoever. I mean, I know Acti's not the kind of company who would do this sort of thing but it strikes me as odd that they wouldn't put their hand on this since they own the IP as far as we know.

I mean, until I see that UC4 credits screen I'm fairly convinced that IP is changing hands, but I'm trying to consider all options, rather than work myself up and get disappointed.

But yes, the wind is blowing in a certain direction, just read through this thread.

Sponge

Banned
Is there a possibility that maybe Sony traded an IP for Crash? I wonder if there's anything they would see worth losing for the Bandicoot.

F4r0_Atak

Is there a possibility that maybe Sony traded an IP for Crash? I wonder if there's anything they would see worth losing for the Bandicoot.

No. As Scott Rhodee said in interview Collin Moriarty in December 2015 at the last PSX, they never retire an IP. So chances are they have might have found a way to get hold of the Crash Bandicoot IP.

i think they got the ip over all those deals with Activision

I mean Sonys Partnership with Activision is stronger than ever. They got Destiny and even after all those Year Call of Duty.
Diablo 3 aswell.

Did the Crash IP even belong to Sony? I thought it was the same case with Spyro and Tekken: flagship icon games for PSX but not belonging to Sony.

SNURB

Did the Crash IP even belong to Sony? I thought it was the same case with Spyro and Tekken: flagship icon games for PSX but not belonging to Sony.

Nope, Universal owned it since Day 1. They just licensed it to Sony to push the PlayStation brand (hence the many commercials back in the late 1990s).

Vivendi bought Universal later on, then bought Sierra and then merged with Activision.

Top Bottom