• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor)(spoilers) this Possible UC4 Easter Egg oh boy

WITHE1982

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM3kR3UHzwo

GET IT WHILE IT'S HOT (not taken down)

This confirms the segment was ENTIRELY made for Uncharted and is not a port. They've even remodeled Crash from the ground up. Animations, spin attack, everything's totally different. I can't believe it but seeing it in motion shows just how different it is.

Ha! The banter at the end and Elena's face has me grinning like an idiot. Perfect.

...Oh and Nate saying "spin attack" had me in stitches.

Eh I don't think this makes the Crash brand any more valuable in ways Activision could (or would) use. They don't do the nostalgic sell, really - the few times they have have either been abject failures (both Pro Skater revivals) or thorough modernisations (King's Quest).

I'm confused as to why the credits screen hasn't leaked yet.

edit: ahhhhhhh that scene is so well done omg

GnawtyDog

Banned
The Crash 1 soundtrack is pretty bland, but in the rest of the games it's pretty good.
And it's not like it's a Nintendo game, you could've always turned the music off.

Fans of all games are not hardcore fans? lmao
Clearly spoken like a true "Crash fan".

Crash 1-3, CTR are all you basically need. Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity are digestible but that's it. Everything else is literally trash.

Crash 1-3, CTR are all you basically need. Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity are digestible but that's it. Everything else is literally trash.

Twinsanity is straight up good, actually. It could've been more than it was, but what we got was still one of the better games in the series.

Rembrandt

Banned
Eh I don't think this makes the Crash brand any more valuable in ways Activision could (or would) use. They don't do the nostalgic sell, really - the few times they have have either been abject failures (both Pro Skater revivals) or thorough modernisations (King's Quest).

I don't either of those games had or has the type of fanbase Crash has. They're a pretty vocal fanbase. I could see Acti making a quick game to cash in or even potentially license the IP out for Sony to make a quick game.

but there's really no reason for acti to say no, though.

Son Of D

WoC was like Crash 3, but worse. But that didn't stop it from being a bad game, just a disappointment after the PS1 trilogy and CTR. I enjoyed Twinsanity despite it's obvious unfinished state. The a capella soundtrack was fun.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Crash 1 soundtrack is pretty bland, but in the rest of the games it's pretty good.
And it's not like it's a Nintendo game, you could've always turned the music off.
That's missing the point, though.

The best platformers are driven by amazing soundtracks. Whether it's boring music or there's no music at all, it has an impact on the experience. A good soundtrack is so important.

I don't either of those games had or has the type of fanbase Crash has. They're a pretty vocal fanbase. I could see Acti making a quick game to cash in or even potentially license the IP out for Sony to make a quick game.

I think they would have done the former by now if they were going to (and it would be on smartphones, like Crash Nitro Kart in the early days of the iPhone). The latter is an option but it falls way outside of any existing strategy for Activision (which is to build their own IP into billion-dollar properties). Not saying whether it's unlikely or likely, it's just unpredictable.

I do have to wonder, do people really want the music for Crash? That's what he's talking about right?

Truth be told, for myself, the Crash and Jak games had terrible soundtracks that detracted from the experience. A platformer needs a strong soundtrack and those games did NOT deliver at all - for me, at least.

It wasn't until Uncharted that ND started producing games with a strong soundtrack and UC4? Holy shit.
I just can't agree with you at all when this thread reminded me what unique and distinct sound Crash soundtrack has.
And in later releases, this track is GOAT.

FelipeMGM

Im very interested on the deal, Crash Bandicoot name and logo appears on screen and Nate clearrly says ''Crash Bandicoot'', you cant just go out using this stuff without a deal. Something is up and Im hyped as fuck

I do have to wonder, do people really want the music for Crash? That's what he's talking about right?

Truth be told, for myself, the Crash and Jak games had terrible soundtracks that detracted from the experience. A platformer needs a strong soundtrack and those games did NOT deliver at all - for me, at least.

It wasn't until Uncharted that ND started producing games with a strong soundtrack and UC4? Holy shit.

Yea no.

Crash 1-3 had great soundtracks . Especially 2

Machina

Banned
Im very interested on the deal, Crash Bandicoot name and logo appears on screen and Nate clearrly says ''Crash Bandicoot'', you cant just go out using this stuff without a deal. Something is up and Im hyped as fuck

Yep, it's not a secret anymore. Activision are in on this and Crash fans should be over the moon

Ash735

Yes, people DO want to own the soundtracks for these games, different tastes I guess because I find most of the Crash stuff really catchy, as for not liking Jak and Daxter's score either, well sir, that is just wrong. What platformers do you consider to have a good soundtrack and would I be right in thinking you're going to mention Mario, retconist!

SNURB

Video is gone. But god my hype levels are over 9000
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

RK128

For people that didn't see it yet, found a new link to the Easter egg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1keFaHvbJwc

Spoilers follow:
Man, this was amazing :). Drake and Elena played off each other great here and I love all the jokes Drake kept cracking. "I didn't do anything to that bolder" "He should learn how to climb, I know that helped me." 'Spin attack!". I'm convinced that we will see something Crash related this E3 now, as why else would this be in the game?

Edit: Video is now gone :(.

copyright claim by SIEA? Crash bandicoot bought by sony confirmed.

Uncharted 4 is their IP. Still not sure about Crash lol.

I hope they do own the IP now, but it could potentially be a collaboration with Activision. I would prefer the latter, but only e3 will tell us at this point lol

Just so that I know, how likely is this an indicator that Sony either have the rights back or are close enough to cut a deal? I'm just saying because wasn't this segment infringe on copyright otherwise?

Eolz

Just so that I know, how likely is this an indicator that Sony either have the rights back or are close enough to cut a deal? I'm just saying because wasn't this segment infringe on copyright otherwise?

0% indication for them having the rights, but they cut a deal.
The importance of the deal is another debate. Could be something just for a cameo or something bigger to get an exclusive Crash. Doubt they'd buy the IP back like that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes, people DO want to own the soundtracks for these games, different tastes I guess because I find most of the Crash stuff really catchy, as for not liking Jak and Daxter's score either, well sir, that is just wrong. What platformers do you consider to have a good soundtrack and would I be right in thinking you're going to mention Mario, retconist!
Oh, I'd say these games have memorable soundtracks for me...

Sonic the Hesgehog on Genesis (and some of the modern games)
Freedom Planet
Rocket Knight Adventures and Sparkster
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Tearaway
Super Mario World and Galaxy
Rayman series
Ori and the Blind Forest
Shovel Knight
Jet Set Radio (it's a Platformer)
Gimmick
Bionic Commando
Jazz Jackrabbit
Klayman Klayman 2

Just a few examples. I realize it's all opinion but I feel like this tunes resonate with me and drive the gameplay while J&D and Crash sounds like background music that adds little to the experience. It's just kind of generic drums and melodies to my ears. I'm curious to understand what it is you like about J&D's soundtrack. I don't mean to knock your love of it but it just turned me off SO hard that I have a violent reaction to it.

Also, that Crash Twinsanity track above is fine but that is not part of this discussion as it wasn't made by ND. I'm talking only about ND's games.

Kubiubo

Time to fess up, who has been editing the Wikipedia article for Crash Bandicoot? Haha, it says that ND and Sony are the current owners as of 2016. :p

Ash735

Just a few examples. I realize it's all opinion but I feel like this tunes resonate with me and drive the gameplay while J&D and Crash sounds like background music that adds little to the experience. It's just kind of generic drums and melodies to my ears. I'm curious to understand what it is you like about J&D's soundtrack. I don't mean to knock your love of it but it just turned me off SO hard that I have a violent reaction to it.

Also, that Crash Twinsanity track above is fine but that is not part of this discussion as it wasn't made by ND. I'm talking only about ND's games.

Going off your examples, there's a good few I like and a good few I find forgettable and bland, so again, just down to taste really. I also despise the Twinsanity soundtrack, for the reason being is that it sounds like a damn Nickelodeon cartoon, it feels like I should be watching Rugrats or Doug instead, and when it does change up, it then goes for some N'Sync sounding stuff, it's just weird, which considering the style the game was going for, weird is a compliment.

Crash Bandicoot 1 is it's own thing which was meant to be a more low key ambient style soundtrack, which fits some areas well, especially on the third island with a lot of dark sounding and industrial like tracks, but there's also some air-y type tracks with simple melodies that just add to the atmosphere so well, tracks like "Road to Nowhere". In a way the overall feel of Crash 1 is a lot darker music wise and you feel like each track was designe for the areas art style as opposed to characters.

Crash 2, 3 and CTR go for more melody and rhythm based, I guess this one is down to taste as you've said you dislike this stuff and find it forgettable where as I remember a lot of it and find it catchy, still having tracks designed on the area they're featured instead of character style, I find the music just adds to the visual, especially in Crash 3 because of the time travel stuff which allows it to try a lot of genre types, such as the arabic themes, orchestral themes, techno style, etc.

As for Jak & Daxter, the first game at least, I think that masters the ambient building, especially tracks like Sentinel Beach or Volcanic Crater. Each track in Jak & Daxter has multiple layers and tracks depending on who you're talking to or which area you're approaching so it feels fresh when you're hearing like 4 to 5 different mixes of each track but still having that same basic underlying beat and pattern. Just a few tracks I think stand out in the game that match the areas soo well...

https://youtu.be/FOou8O2qMa0
https://youtu.be/m7swp36AUSI
https://youtu.be/yZND05Hnsps
https://youtu.be/lZg0CTifQ-4
https://youtu.be/CQCDwxZqXGE

It's very ambient style, not over the top and loud like you'd expect from a platformer, which is why I get why people like yourself might not like it, but I really appreciate this style, especially the certain influence and tones from artists like DEVO or Talking Heads.

I'm starting to find it funny how much attention a non-Easter egg is getting.

There is a weird lust for Crash these days thats been building for years. The attention this has gotten only proves it.

And yeah. Totally not a easter egg but whatever. Maybe people who havent been spoiled think its a hit for TLOU 2 like how Uncharted 3 had that newspaper hinting at TLOU in it or something.

Top Bottom