• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor)(spoilers) this Possible UC4 Easter Egg oh boy

True Fire

Here you go.

kuk1rXd.png

This is fantastic.

This means nothing. We had similar Easter Egg in the first game about Jak And Daxter (the game that must be continued but nothing happened sadly).

wvnative

See post #211

I find it highly improbable Naughty Dog would have had a clear copyright violation ship on the final release build of the game. Some people may not have internet connected to their consoles. Heck, I doubt the final gold disc would have passed certification.

Don't know if it's real or not, seems real, but I'm sure it won't be removed with the day 1 patch.

Vinc

nsXJgWs.jpg

k2YgLp9.gif

*click for source

Here's the thing though... the quote says they wanted to put a crash game inside... meaning what probably was a "new" small crash game meant for this easter egg. Sony doesn't own the IP, so they can't do that.

However, they do own the original crash game, so it's likely that the original easter egg was replaced with the original crash game and a level from it.

I'm not saying nothing will happen, but this is something to keep in mind.

Raylan

Banned
Ah I see. Ofc. Sony doesn't own the IP anymore.
They never owned it.
Here's the thing though... the quote says they wanted to put a crash game inside... meaning what probably was a "new" small crash game meant for this easter egg. Sony doesn't own the IP, so they can't do that.

However, they do own the original crash game, so it's likely that the original easter egg was replaced with the original crash game and a level from it.

I'm not saying nothing will happen, but this is something to keep in mind.
Naughty Dog/Sony doesn't own anything Crash related.
That is the reason why the whole
Crash level in U4
is very interesting.

Vinc

They never owned it.

Naughty Dog/Sony doesn't own anything Crash related.
That is the reason why the whole
Crash level in U4
is very interesting.

They published the first 3 games and CTR, and those are on sale on PSN. I'm fairly certain they own those games, just not the IP.

Venom Fox

Banned
So, has anyone been able to confirm that a playable Crash Bandicoot level is in the game or not. All I see is vague posts citing that "someone said". Who's this someone? Do they have any more photos? If not ask them to replay that Chapter and take some screens.

Surely they would have hit the share button in blind wonder, knowing they'd set the Internet on fire.

Sorry but I don't believe it. Then there's these rumours of the level being taken out if you download the day 1 patch. What???

Absolutely incorrect. They have the publishing rights, but this does not qualify as publishing the game. PSN and on-disc are publishing the game. Sony gets a cut of the income from the PS1 games' sales for publishing's sake, but Activision owns the IP and is the one who controls what can be sold, included, or used. Sony would need to license the IP to do this from where I stand, whether just for this instance, or in general. But I just have doubts that they'd license it just so they can put a surprising game case inside Uncharted 4.

Activision has blocked Sony from using Crash several times before, even on Crash stuff from the PS1 games, and that's because Sony has distribution rights, NOT IP rights. Or at least, they DIDN'T have IP rights. They may now, either a license or, less likely, full ownership.

Vinc

Absolutely incorrect. They have the publishing rights, but this does not qualify as publishing the game. PSN and on-disc are publishing the game. Sony gets a cut of the income from the PS1 games' sales for publishing's sake, but Activision owns the IP and is the one who controls what can be sold, included, or used. Sony would need to license the IP to do this from where I stand, whether just for this instance, or in general. But I just have doubts that they'd license it just so they can put a surprising game case inside Uncharted 4.

Activision has blocked Sony from using Crash several times before, even on Crash stuff from the PS1 games, and that's because Sony has distribution rights, NOT IP rights. Or at least, they DIDN'T have IP rights. They may now, either a license or, less likely, full ownership.

So you're saying Activision gets paid for every sale of the PS1 crash games on PSN? Do you have a source for this?

So you're saying Activision gets paid for every sale of the PS1 crash games on PSN? Do you have a source for this?

That's literally just how IP ownership works. Just like they get paid for any sale of the Spyro games too.

I'm also certain Activision owning the IP blocked Sony from allowing Crash to be playable on Vita in the US.

None that I can link you offhand. I can easily get some though. But the simple fact is ACTIVISION OWNS CRASH BANDICOOT. You cannot sell it, or use it, without their permission. Sony does not own Crash, even a portion, at least to our current knowledge.

Also, an image has been posted of
the playable level
including some kind of
score counter in the middle of the screen that is NOT present in the original Crash Bandicoot game, which lines up with people saying you have to "beat Elena's high score".
657z9pH.jpg

Bollocks

my ass

We weren't supposed to see this. At the start of the dev cycle Sony and Activision had a deal for a new Crash Bandicoot game, so they included it as a teaser.
Amy Henning was supposed to be involved but Druckmann vetoed citing that the little purple dragon played a huge part in his childhood and it is a personal matter ultimately making Henning leave the company.
But the deal fell through because Sony didn't send the required paperwork in time prior to the deadline because PSN was in maintenance.
While it was scrapped, that teaser was mistakenly left in and only rediscovered during optimization because that easter egg took up too much space as you could insert the disk into a virtual PSX and play the whole game on via a ps1 emulator which was running on a almost complete software ps3 emulator.
Thus the 2 weeks delay to address that.

N.Domixis

Banned
None that I can link you offhand. I can easily get some though. But the simple fact is ACTIVISION OWNS CRASH BANDICOOT. You cannot sell it, or use it, without their permission. Sony does not own Crash, even a portion, at least to our current knowledge.

Also, an image has been posted of
the playable level
including some kind of
score counter in the middle of the screen that is NOT present in the original Crash Bandicoot game, which lines up with people saying you have to "beat Elena's high score".
657z9pH.jpg

Aww shet mang, it's beautiful.

BetaM

Yeah, boxart was one thing, but THIS is something huge. However, it having
classic graphics
makes me think it's only a setup for remastered ports.

Aww shet mang, it's beautiful.

And it's definitely been altered, especially
the camera angle. You can see there's no scenery a few yards outside the normal screen space horizontally lol.

Also, another one:

pxkLOFX.jpg

Yeah, boxart was one thing, but THIS is something huge. However, it having
classic graphics
makes me think it's only a setup for remastered ports.

We can hope it means more than that. I also don't see
Sony licensing IP use so they can do a fresh remaster. Say what people might, no one can argue HD remasters that alter the game code dramatically (like the camera here, for instance) is covered under a publishing contract.
But either way, you're right. Something's fishy here.

At least one level is playable I can confirm as there is some hilarious dialog between Nate and Elena on what a bandicoot even is, etc.

Also not sure why pictures are showing it without borders, when you play it's via an on screen tv!

Not to piss in the "SONY MUST HAVE BOUGHT CRASH SECRETLY" cereal but maybe.... MAYBE activision are not total assholes and thought this was OK enough to sign off on.

Plus I am sure if Activision signed off on it it would be mentioned in the credits.

I mean... acitivsion probably have a few ideas boucing around for Crash like they do just about everything they own. Letting him make a cameo in Uncharted 4 what is probably a easy GOTY contender seems like a good test bed to see a reaction and if a game never comes of it then its still a neat little easter egg. Plus Sony and Activision are super bros right now so if it was something they wanted I am sure they could hash it out.

Not to piss in the "SONY MUST HAVE BOUGHT CRASH SECRETLY" people but maybe.... MAYBE activision are not total assholes and thought this was OK enough to sign off on.

Plus I am sure if Activision signed off on it it would be mentioned in the credits.

But yet they didn't want to allow them to use renders and art they created themselves 20 years ago to promote an art contest? I'm not saying Sony bought it, but I'm saying it's a little suspicious that it happens the way it happened, especially when Bruce Straley just 10 months ago openly discussed this segment because he thought it wasn't in the game FOR SURE, and said FOR SURE that it was "Impossible", and that it was impossible because Sony didn't own it.

Maybe he lied to protect the surprise, but wouldn't it be MORE surprising if he had just never brought it up? Now, it's in the game, so one would be led to assume, by his reasoning, that the thing that was holding it up before is no longer an issue.

N.Domixis

Banned
ND knows how to go out with a bang. Hopefully they at an actual time relic for the Strage Relic they always put in these games.

Hexa

But yet they didn't want to allow them to use renders and art they created themselves 20 years ago to promote an art contest? I'm not saying Sony bought it, but I'm saying it's a little suspicious that it happens the way it happened, especially when Bruce Straley just 10 months ago openly discussed this segment because he thought it wasn't in the game FOR SURE, and said FOR SURE that it was "Impossible", and that it was impossible because Sony didn't own it.

Maybe he lied to protect the surprise, but wouldn't it be MORE surprising if he had just never brought it up? Now, it's in the game, so one would be led to assume, by his reasoning, that the thing that was holding it up before is no longer an issue.

That was a few years ago. This is now.

I am sure Sonys position in the market helps + currently co marketing Activsions biggest brands in COD and Destiny means those two sides probably hang around a decent bit more then they use to.

And Naughty Dog was allowed to use Crash for a bunch of their 20th anniversary stuff like promotional stuff for the studio and in a art book. Just not in some random completion and who knows what the terms where that they couldnt iron out. Could have been random contract BS.

Top Bottom