• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor)(spoilers) this Possible UC4 Easter Egg oh boy

I am sure Sonys position in the market helps + currently co marketing Activsions biggest brands in COD and Destiny means those two sides probably hang around a decent bit more then they use to.

Bruce Straley said ten months ago it would never happen. Ten months ago, Sony was still the market leader in consoles, and was still co-marketing Activision's biggest brands. So what changed since *then*?

I feel like Crash Bandicoot should stay in the past where he belongs.

Oh boy, here we go!

Bruce Straley said ten months ago it would never happen. Ten months ago, Sony was still the market leader in consoles, and was still co-marketing Activision's biggest brands. So what changed since *then*?

That interview said they couldnt do it because they didnt own Crash but what if after that someone from Activsion got in touch and said "nah man. its cool"?

The tone of that interview made it sound like they didnt even ask.

Ash735

So you're one of those Nintendo fans who go around trying to retcon history? "Crash Bandicoot was never good guys! Really! Only good platformers in those days were on N64!". I mean sure, Crash Bandicoot is only a series that's remained topping the PS1 Classics charts ever since it was first introduced for PSP all those years ago, surely NO ONE wants to buy a new proper Crash Bandicoot game by Sony. Nobody buys platformers anyway, we're just gonna ignore that Ratchet & Clank is selling really well and getting praise.

NeoRaider

So you're one of those Nintendo fans who go around trying to retcon history? "Crash Bandicoot was never good guys! Really! Only good platformers in those days were on N64!". I mean sure, Crash Bandicoot is only a series that's remained topping the PS1 Classics charts ever since it was first introduced for PSP all those years ago, surely NO ONE wants to buy a new proper Crash Bandicoot game by Sony. Nobody buys platformers anyway, we're just gonna ignore that Ratchet & Clank is selling really well and getting praise.

I am not Nintendo fan. I had both PS1 and PS2 and i played CB.

Also i am talking about myself. I only gave my opinion. Sure there will be ppl thay will buy it, i never said that no one will.

ND should work on something new imo.

There is an arguement that sometimes IP's that have died should stay dead and resources should be given to new IP.

Raylan

Banned
Well a few members here on Neogaf already bought and finished Uncharted 4 (see U4 spoiler thread).

They just have to look at the credits. It will get mentioned there with the "Crash Bandicoot is a trademark of" line. Come on, guys. Check the credits.

Raylan

Banned
I am not Nintendo fan. I had both PS1 and PS2 and i played CB.

Also i am talking about myself. I only gave my opinion. Sure there will be ppl thay will buy it, i never said that no one will.

ND should work on something new imo.
And? It doesn't have to be Naughty Dog

(Sorry. Double-post)

SNURB

That was a few years ago. This is now.

I am sure Sonys position in the market helps + currently co marketing Activsions biggest brands in COD and Destiny means those two sides probably hang around a decent bit more then they use to.

And Naughty Dog was allowed to use Crash for a bunch of their 20th anniversary stuff like promotional stuff for the studio and in a art book. Just not in some random completion and who knows what the terms where that they couldnt iron out. Could have been random contract BS.

There was a point in time that Crash was not mentioned nor seen in the artbook on various sites (mainly Dark Horse) until a month before it was released.

And what promotional stuff? Just retrospect videos? I didn't see Crash in any besides those.

TrueBlue

Nintendo fans don't get a break even in non-Nintendo threads. :p

Crash almost seems like a certainty at this point for E3, though I'm not convinced it will come in the form that a lot of people want.

Suddenly no one cares about Uncharted 4 anymore lol :V
Honestly, if it was a choice between a AAA Bandicoot reboot or UC4...

Sorry Nathan.

RIP all of Nintendo and 90% of the best selling franchises in gaming w/this line of thinking.

The same Activision that denied letting Naughty Dog have Crash in a fucking fan art contest? Not fucking likely.

http://www.thebitbag.com/naughty-do...bandicoot-in-fan-art-contest-got-denied/84569
Because nothing can change in two years.

Danlord

Because nothing can change in two years.

The idea is that Activision wouldn't allow a fan art contest but then suddenly allowing Naughty Dog to use their IP to use their box-art, character and even emulate an entire level.

It's just such a big leap to make.

SNURB

The idea is that Activision wouldn't allow a fan art contest but then suddenly allowing Naughty Dog to use their IP to use their box-art, character and even emulate an entire level.

Yea, this is a HUGE leap. Not even allowing Crash to be in PSABAR a few years back but THIS is a HUGE deal. I don't know WHAT happened behind the scenes but something had to give.

ZarKryn7

I feel like people should just shut up with this statement and let fans of the series have at least one good, faithful, classic style Crash game after all that modernize injected crap we had to deal with from Radical.

And you don't have any reason to believe there's been some budging on Activition's side with the original game being directly referenced in a Sony exclusive? Things change, people talk, and deals are made. With how often execs/leadership/presidents change at companies like these, I wouldn't be surprised if a new face on Activition's side was able to push a few buttons to make things like these possible.

Let's not forget Crash's omission in a game as recent as Tony Hawk 5, owned by Activision, and not from a lack of the developer trying. Something is different.

Danlord

And you don't have any reason to believe there's been some budging on Activition's side with the original game being directly referenced in a Sony exclusive? Things change, people talk, and deals are made. With how often execs/leadership/presidents change at companies like these, I wouldn't be surprised if a new face on Activition's side was able to push a few buttons to make things like these possible.

Let's not forget Crash's omission in a game as recent as Tony Hawk 5, owned by Activision, and not from a lack of the developer trying. Something is different.

I'm in the boat that Sony has bought the IP from Activision, hence the sudden change. I don't think a change of management has brought about this little change of heart, especially with all the various hints and insider teases. I don't know if you mis-read what I meant from my post, but I was saying that something is majorly different with regards to the Crash IP, and I don't think this teasing led up to an Easter Egg in Uncharted 4.

Did we get any confirmation of this or the remade level yet? Don't want to go in the spoiler thread.

Check out wrestleman's post here, basically Yes.;
None that I can link you offhand. I can easily get some though. But the simple fact is ACTIVISION OWNS CRASH BANDICOOT. You cannot sell it, or use it, without their permission. Sony does not own Crash, even a portion, at least to our current knowledge.

Also, an image has been posted of
the playable level
including some kind of
score counter in the middle of the screen that is NOT present in the original Crash Bandicoot game, which lines up with people saying you have to "beat Elena's high score".
657z9pH.jpg

JordanN

Banned
You guys remember the Playstation Experience video? The same one that had Street Fighter 5 in it?

XaN4xnd.jpgg

Also, the original Uncharted 4 teaser looked a lot like Crash.

Q28aVux.jpg

I'm in the boat that Sony has bought the IP from Activision, hence the sudden change. I don't think a change of management has brought about this little change of heart, especially with all the various hints and insider teases. I don't know if you mis-read what I meant from my post, but I was saying that something is majorly different with regards to the Crash IP, and I don't think this teasing led up to an Easter Egg in Uncharted 4.

Check out wrestleman's post here, basically Yes.;

Thank you, looks good.

Well, looks like Crash. But Crash is good.

I will say... having Nates hand conveniently cover the publisher logo is good stuff.

Although I guess they did remove the Universal logo entirely because that should be visible.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Wait, is it
Kid Drake who plays it?
That uh...
makes no sense. I thought Drake was in his 40s in UC4?

If you look at the trailers there are some scenes that show
Drake as a kid
. It happened in Uncharted 3 after all.

Well,
the trailers hinted that there's a kid Drake section in the game

If you look at the trailers there are some scenes that show
Drake as a kid
. It happened in Uncharted 3 after all.

No no no, guys. I mean
if Drake is in his forties now, he'd have been in his 20s during Crash's origins and height of popularity. Him playing the games as a kid is an anachronistic impossibility.

Playsage

No no no, guys. I mean
if Drake is in his forties now, he'd have been in his 20s during Crash's origins and height of popularity. Him playing the games as a kid is an anachronistic impossibility.
You better stop focusing on it. The Spoiler Thread kinda has an answer about that easter egg, but it's a HUGE spoiler

Jak and Daxter also made several appearances in The Last of Us. Chance for that series coming back = zero. They just made it in the past, that's all.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
No no no, guys. I mean

I suppose that's true. Maybe it is older Drake playing. Wonder why. One and a half week away...

You better stop focusing on it. The Spoiler Thread kinda has an answer about that easter egg, but it's a HUGE spoiler

Yeah I'm just gonna avoid it. The Crash fan in me got what I wanted out of this already. The Uncharted fan in me doesn't need anything else spoiled.

Playsage

Jak and Daxter also made several appearances in The Last of Us. Chance for that series coming back = zero. They just made it in the past, that's all.
Yeah, but with Jak they don't have to sign contracts with Activision for a simple easter egg...

And if it actually come back, it won't be from Naughty Dog. They are focusing on a completely different kind of genre

Yeah, but with Jak they don't have to sign contracts with Activision for a simple easter egg...

I can't see them putting together a licensing deal just for this, I really can't. I could be wrong, but that seems like something that would be kinda costly for not a lot of return.

And if it actually come back, it won't be from Naughty Dog. They are focusing on a completely different kind of genre

I was of this opinion too for a long, long time. Then Naughty Dog did this. Not saying I think they're developing at all, I just think it's fairly unbelievable that they even touched it to this extent. Judging from the screenshots, they did a fair amount of work on it -- the camera is different and there's whatever that counter thing is in the top-middle.

Top Bottom