• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor)(spoilers) this Possible UC4 Easter Egg oh boy

Ash735

Hoping for this music in the background when Shawn Layden take the stage in E3 this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i8qAZOu5-g
IF there's a chance they're working on a game, no matter which studio it is, I REALLY hope they get Josh Mancell back to do the music, there's just a certain charm to the original ND era soundtracks that felt lacking in the other games,

PS: For those who haven't heard either, here's the original first submitted theme for the game, it was rejected by Universal and the song itself was redone to be used in the second half of N Sanity Beach level. So that level contains the actual main theme of the game AND the demo theme. Kinda cool.

Edit: Actually, might as well post the links to the stuff he's uploaded regarding the main Crash games, worth a listen to hear how these were supposed to sound BEFORE being compressed and altered for the PS1, really should listen to Rock It for example...

Crash Bandicoot
Original Theme DEMO
Upstream
Hog Wild
Heavy Machinery
Slippery Climb

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot: Cortex Strikes Back Main Theme
Turtle Woods
Coco's Theme
N. Brio's Theme Version II
Sewer Or Later
The Komodo Bros' Theme
Tiny Tiger's Theme
Piston It Away Death Route
Rock It
Neo Cortex's Theme Version II

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Crash Bandicoot: Warped Main Theme
Under Pressure
Under Pressure DEMO
Midnight Run
High Time
Dingodile's Theme
N. Tropy's Theme
Future Frenzy
N. Gin's Theme Version II
Neo Cortex's Theme Version III

SNURB

EFAF571A-A394-4028-ABC9-E699F972ACD1_zpsafwla3ln.png

C7B12E17-076F-4B73-8E21-56746FB4FE1F_zps6x7tq9pn.png

27A84776-4DD1-4C3A-A2D1-EF0090421CEF_zpsseff89ut.png

By looking at these screenshots, Crash's model looks a bit different than how it looks in the actual game. For one thing, he smiles while jumping and his eyes are rounder.

Did ND go out of their way to even redo the Crash model?

Tapejara

IF there's a chance they're working on a game, no matter which studio it is, I REALLY hope they get Josh Mancell back to do the music, there's just a certain charm to the original ND era soundtracks that felt lacking in the other games,

PS: For those who haven't heard either, here's the original first submitted theme for the game, it was rejected by Universal and the song itself was redone to be used in the second half of N Sanity Beach level. So that level contains the actual main theme of the game AND the demo theme. Kinda cool.

Edit: Actually, might as well post the links to the stuff he's uploaded regarding the main Crash games, worth a listen to hear how these were supposed to sound BEFORE being compressed and altered for the PS1, really should listen to Rock It for example...

Crash Bandicoot
Original Theme DEMO
Upstream
Hog Wild
Heavy Machinery
Slippery Climb

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot: Cortex Strikes Back Main Theme
Turtle Woods
Coco's Theme
N. Brio's Theme Version II
Sewer Or Later
The Komodo Bros' Theme
Tiny Tiger's Theme
Piston It Away Death Route
Rock It
Neo Cortex's Theme Version II

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Crash Bandicoot: Warped Main Theme
Under Pressure
Under Pressure DEMO
Midnight Run
Dingodile's Theme
N. Tropy's Theme
Future Frenzy
N. Gin's Theme Version II
Neo Cortex's Theme Version III

I have never agreed with/loved a post more than I do this one. The original Crash soundtracks are sublime.

It is probably easier to make a mini game in the style of crash 1 then go hacking apart a old rom.

I'd be shocked if this wasnt made for this.

N.Domixis

Banned
By looking at these screenshots, Crash's model looks a bit different than how it looks in the actual game. For one thing, he smiles while jumping and his eyes are rounder.

The level is a metaphor of crash returning back home full of joy. His expressions do look slightly different.

Here is the ps1 version for comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV2kAV_NTRQ
Ok the fall animation does look different. He never falls with a smile. Its always an :eek: face.

So upon further review here's what has been altered:

•Crash's model and animations
•Certain scenery and layout
•Countdown(?) timer added
•Camera has been drastically reangled
•Boulder itself has been sized down when it is still on top of the temple roofs.

SNURB

So upon further review here's what has been altered:

•Crash's model and animations
•Certain scenery and layout
•Countdown(?) timer added
•Camera has been drastically reangled
•Boulder itself has been sized down when it is still on top of the temple roofs.

Could they have, by any chance, worked on the original build of the game when doing this or just hacked the game?

BetaM

Could they have, by any chance, worked on the original build of the game when doing this or just hacked the game?

I would say the former - they (re)built the level using the original assets. Hard to think they would port their proprietary PS1 engine just for this. If it's a hacked emulated game, there should be visible texture warping in footage.

SNURB

I would say the former - they (re)built the level using the original assets. Hard to think they would port their proprietary PS1 engine just for this. If it's a hacked emulated game, there should be visible texture warping in footage.

Amazing if it were the case. I'm surprised it would even work since the engine wasn't used since the PS1 days. Usually stuff like that is completely abandoned or lost forever but I guess ND kept it in their archives.

Harmen

Lol, I would
suscribe to a
Nate and Elena
let's play channel

(easter egg spoilers, I don't know anything else of UC4 except for the official trailers and gameplay).

Edit: ah well, this is offcourse an easter egg spoiler thread but I'll leave the tags in.

Maybe Ratchet and Clank commerical success will convinced them to invest in a new Crash..
I mean all signs over that last 3 years seriously pointing to a new entry..

Scotia

Banned
EFAF571A-A394-4028-ABC9-E699F972ACD1_zpsafwla3ln.png

C7B12E17-076F-4B73-8E21-56746FB4FE1F_zps6x7tq9pn.png

27A84776-4DD1-4C3A-A2D1-EF0090421CEF_zpsseff89ut.png

"I did nothing to this boulder"

I'm fucking crying

it is so funny: Nathan playing the game with old PSX and his wife laughing at him and we see his room and how he talk and reacts as if Uncharted was real life and Crash was PlayStation

PS4 is so powerful that it can run the emulated Crash Bandicoot game while the main game Uncharted 4 is running and all this while PS4 OS running too.

This won't get removed with day one patch right?

Mr-Joker

Banned
People are hurting themselves by thinking there'll be a new Crash at E3.

Why would Sony go to Activision just for a short Easter egg? Nah we're getting a new Crash game.

Slippery Climb is only hard if you're trying to get the gem.

Honestly speaking Slippery Climb is boring because it's a long level with only 1 checkpoint.

I really do hope that the new Crash game takes more cue from Crash 2 and 3 and not just Crash 1 as I feel that Crash 1 is the weakest of the Naughty Dog's Crash game.

Oh I could understand a nice story element
about the timeline. With such hint does that mean Uncharted 4 takes place around ther end of 1996 (after the release of the first Crash Bandicoot)? Beceause there is no way there is anyone who still have a working PSX that can run Crash Bandicoot these days. Even the memory card lasts no longer than 8 years maximum. Unless Nathan is a time traveller (hence the new current flat TV screen) and this is another important story twist. /s :p

BroBot

There's just no way Crash doesn't show up at E3 this year. After last year's E3, anything is possible. Hype train commence.

Yet the ps4 is a joke compared to a mid-range pc I built years ago.

Is there some type of special paradise that banned peopled go to on here? People have been playing Russian roulette lately, especially in these UC4 threads.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Why would Sony go to Activision just for a short Easter egg? Nah we're getting a new Crash game.

Honestly speaking Slippery Climb is boring because it's a long level with only 1 checkpoint.

I really do hope that the new Crash game takes more cue from Crash 2 and 3 and not just Crash 1 as I feel that Crash 1 is the weakest of the Naughty Dog's Crash game.
Crash 3 had filler shitty vehicle levels. Not a single level in Crash 1 was as bad as any of those. Crash 3 is the last ND Crash game to take inspiration from.

Rated-G

Oh I could understand a nice story element
about the timeline. With such hint does that mean Uncharted 4 takes place around ther end of 1996 (after the release of the first Crash Bandicoot)? Beceause there is no way there is anyone who still have a working PSX that can run Crash Bandicoot these days. Even the memory card lasts no longer than 8 years maximum. Unless Nathan is a time traveller (hence the new current flat TV screen) and this is another important story twist. /s :p

Not sure if it's been changed but Amy Hennig used to say other than Golden Abyss, the games were supposed to take place in present day. Considering there's talk of cell phones in 3, I doubt that game would have been taking place in like 1994 or earlier.

Also, I have an OG PlayStation that still runs Crash Bandicoot, memory card and all. So it's not all that unlikely.

Scotia

Banned
Crash 3 had filler shitty vehicle levels. Not a single level in Crash 1 was as bad as any of those. Crash 3 is the last ND Crash game to take inspiration from.

I know opinions and all that but Crash 3 is my favourite. Bar the motorbike levels (which I agree are garbage) the game is great.

Rated-G

At least it's not as bad as Sly 3, which felt like it was constantly non standard gameplay, and by comparison, barely any of the classic Sly gameplay I wanted. At least Thieves in Time struck a good balance.

Top Bottom