• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Team ICO Collection (ICO and SotC HD ports) Coming March/April 2011

Mau ®

Yoshichan said:
DLbfC.jpg

This part and the intro scene from MGS MGS3 (spread your wings and fly, worlds first halo jump) are the only two times I've actually felt wind coming against me. Wind physics, rare as fuck.

I was cool with this collection coming out but now that I see that screenshot of the (13th?) collosi I WANT IT NOW.

I instantly remembered the adrenaline rush I got from that battle. EPIC.

inthezone said:
I was cool with this collection coming out but now that I see that screenshot of the (13th?) collosi I WANT IT NOW.

I instantly remembered the adrenaline rush I got from that battle. EPIC.

yeah... but it will never replicate how amazing the whole experience was the first time around- at least for me.

I remember staying away from basically ALL the media for SotC, so I had no idea what kind of colossi awaited me next. The sense of excitement and fear getting closer and closer to the area my sword directed me was such an awesome experience.

I'm still buying this, though. Day One. :D

Empty

SOTC has a much bigger range of options available for trophies than ico, so there's no need for them to be boring (so long as they allow you to turn off notifications). i'd rather they used them to reward exploring the world than doing time trials, so give you trophies for eating fruit, killing lizards, finding all the save shrines, holding onto the birds and being flown around, increasing stamina to certain points, just extra stuff like that. i think it'd be cool the incentivize doing more than just going from boss-boss, as that's not the whole game.

TheJollyCorner said:
I remember staying away from basically ALL the media for SotC, so I had no idea what kind of colossi awaited me next. The sense of excitement and fear getting closer and closer to the area my sword directed me was such an awesome experience.

I haven't played SOTC or ICO in such a long time that I'm pretty sure it will be fresh enough, plus having trophy challenges should add some spice (for those that care, judging by things not many seem to, but I'm all for it).

Stumpokapow said:
The best part about this news is that it finally makes Ico widely available again after such a long time in scarce supply.

Didn't read the entire thread so maybe it's already been mentioned, but I got Ico when SoTC had come out. It got reprinted due to the new renewed interest from SoTC. At least in Europe:)

I hope both of them are 60 frames/second.

Yoboman said:
Most of those cut colossi are creepy as Hell. I've had some dreams with situations and imagery similar to Wander and the Colossus. In one of them I was up against the worm colossus. Scary as fuck.

zweifuss said:
I'd like an option to turn off the HUD in SOTC. You should be able to tell from visual cues if you're about to fall of a colossus or when his energy is low. What do you guys think?
That would be really cool, but I don't think it would be easy to pull off at all.

zweifuss

I'd like an option to turn off the HUD in SOTC. You should be able to tell from visual cues if you're about to fall of a colossus or when his energy is low. What do you guys think?

Johnas

Empty said:
SOTC has a much bigger range of options available for trophies than ico, so there's no need for them to be boring (so long as they allow you to turn off notifications). i'd rather they used them to reward exploring the world than doing time trials, so give you trophies for eating fruit, killing lizards, finding all the save shrines, holding onto the birds and being flown around, increasing stamina to certain points, just extra stuff like that. i think it'd be cool the incentivize doing more than just going from boss-boss, as that's not the whole game.

I remember when the game released, how many people were so gung-ho about hurrying up and finishing it, with no exploration, and in the process depriving themselves of a sizeable chunk of the experience. Then complaining about how short the game was, and how it was just a "game of boss battles."

The exploration and consequential sense of discovery lent a lot to the atmosphere of the game world, for me anyway.

Johnas said:
I remember when the game released, how many people were so gung-ho about hurrying up and finishing it, with no exploration, and in the process depriving themselves of a sizeable chunk of the experience. Then complaining about how short the game was, and how it was just a "game of boss battles."

The exploration and consequential sense of discovery lent a lot to the atmosphere of the game world, for me anyway.
:lol I explored the hell out of the game on my first playthrough. I remember seeing landmarks in the distance and trying to get there (vines hanging from cliffs, caves, stuff like that) but honestly it never EVER occurred to me that the lizards were supposed to be killed and the fruits supposed to be eaten. It just... I don't know, it didn't feel like a regular game where the only way to interact with the world is killing, so I never tried that. Finished the game the first time with the default grip and health bar. Then read about the lizards and fruits and boy did I feel stupid. :lol

I want a Retro Studios/Team Ico collaboration for an adventure/exploration type game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I look forward to this. I haven't even played Ico.
I played Shadow of the Colossus, but it never clicked with me and I only made it about halfway through. The graphical issues, mainly the framerate, made it really hard for me to play. It's worth another try, so this will be nice to have.

The Hermit

FunkyPajamas said:
:lol I explored the hell out of the game on my first playthrough. I remember seeing landmarks in the distance and trying to get there (vines hanging from cliffs, caves, stuff like that) but honestly it never EVER occurred to me that the lizards were supposed to be killed and the fruits supposed to be eaten. It just... I don't know, it didn't feel like a regular game where the only way to interact with the world is killing, so I never tried that. Finished the game the first time with the default grip and health bar. Then read about the lizards and fruits and boy did I feel stupid. :lol

I want a Retro Studios/Team Ico collaboration for an adventure/exploration type game.

I think I just came a little...

Empty

Johnas said:

To be fair to them, it's pretty damn hard not to want to jump straight onto the next colossus after the huge adrenaline rush felt when felling them, even though that high is tinged a bit by the sense of remorse that the game creates. However as someone who likes quiet to separate the loud moments, i too spent ages exploring the world, appreciating the mood, and uncovering secrets, loving the way it just let you do it at your own pace and without direction, making each discovery feel the more personal, and agree with you that those who didn't missed parts of the experience.

soldat7 said:
I got my tag by disagreeing with this, but I think I'd be OK with it now. I watched a bunch of the 1080p/60fps vids of SotC and I was impressed. I think I was wrong GAF. Forgive me!
Increasing the framerate only poses as a benefit. Slowdown is something that can be added for a cinematic effect. Any game rendered in 30 frames/second will always benefit from an increased framerate as long as the animation holds up. Anyone who holds the opinion that a low framerate generates a cinematic impression only has such an opinion because movies are almost never recorded in such a format. I'm not trying to set you straight or anything, I'm just saying.

I wish 60 frames/second was an industry standard.
(LOLZ PC GAMING AMIRITE?!)
Whatever though.

jett said:
BTW, here are some examples of what "SOTC HD" might look like running in HD and with a stable framerate, recorded off a PS2 emulator:

3rd Colossus battle - The Giant

5th Colossus battle - The Eagle

12th Colossus battle - The water turtle thing: anyone who's played the game knows that the framerate here is complete garbage on the PS2. It looks so different when it actually runs well. :p
Good GOD, shit look better than most games this gen

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I wish 60 frames/second was an industry standard.
(LOLZ PC GAMING AMIRITE?!)
Whatever though.

60 frames/second should be a FILM industry standard by now. Maybe we could finally kill this "60fps soap opera lolz" bullshit. 24fps film stock looks like garbage. Everyone's freaking out over HD resolutions and 3D wankery and everything still looks like a juddery mess in motion.

luka said:
60 frames/second should be a FILM industry standard by now. Maybe we could finally kill this "60fps soap opera lolz" bullshit. 24fps film stock looks like garbage. Everyone's freaking out over HD resolutions and 3D wankery and everything still looks like a juddery mess in motion.
I agree completely.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
luka said:
I'm down with that.

black_13

Banned
sweet mother of god! Been waiting for this since I got rid of my old tv and ps2. Love Shadow to death but playing it on ps3 with 50" tv was making me hate it.

Gravijah

Galvanise_ said:
I think the slowdown actually benefited the game in places. It made things feel more epic. Might just be me though.

Well, there's a difference between frame drops and slow down. I think you can have slowdown without dropping frames.

Gravijah said:
Well, there's a difference between frame drops and slow down. I think you can have slowdown without dropping frames.

True, but there were definitely drops in frames when things got a bit janky that made things more epic. If they simply go in and make everything 60fps locked, we'd lose little moments like that, and for me that would be a shame.

Galvanise_ said:
I think the slowdown actually benefited the game in places. It made things feel more epic. Might just be me though.
Sadly, it's not just you, but everyone who has this opinion should be ignored.

Watch those HD Youtube videos with a much smoother framerate and look at how gorgeous the particle effects and animations are. It's never been more epic. A locked framerate would be one of the best things you could do. You can still shake the camera when there are massive impacts to the earth - that effect happened at the same time as a lot of the slowdown, and THAT's a good effect that adds a lot (and also obscures information by shaking the camera and taking control away from you).

badcrumble said:
Sadly, it's not just you, but everyone who has this opinion should be ignored.

Watch those HD Youtube videos with a much smoother framerate and look at how gorgeous the particle effects and animations are. It's never been more epic. A locked framerate would be one of the best things you could do. You can still shake the camera when there are massive impacts to the earth - that effect happened at the same time as a lot of the slowdown, and THAT's a good effect that adds a lot (and also obscures information by shaking the camera and taking control away from you).

I don't know. I like the higher framerate, but it looks like something is missing, its weird. Really weird. At least I'll always have the original too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
luka said:
While we're at it, let's knock off any color grading or art direction from movies as well too... right? Shit looks unrealistic!

It is however that very same lack of realism that make movies be the otherworldly artistic escapism that they are. I do agree that for 3D movies higher framerates are necessary though, because motion blur doesn't seem to work there as well as it normally would.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Lord Error said:
While we're at it, let's knock off any color grading or art direction from movies as well too... right? Shit looks unrealistic!

Don't be so dense. 24fps film stock that is basically the same shit they've been using since the dawn of film was an economic descision, not a fucking artistic choice. James Cameron himself said that 24fps stock is a "curse" and he wants to push for 48 as standard.

For three-fourths of a century of 2-D cinema, we have grown accustomed to the strobing effect produced by the 24 frame per second display rate. When we see the same thing in 3-D, it stands out more, not because it is intrinsically worse, but because all other things have gotten better. Suddenly the image looks so real it's like you're standing there in the room with the characters, but when the camera pans, there is this strange motion artifact. It's like you never saw it before, when in fact it's been hiding in plain sight the whole time. Some people call it judder, others strobing. I call it annoying. It's also easily fixed, because the stereo renaissance is enabled by digital cinema, and digital cinema supplies the answer to the strobing problem.

4K doesn't solve the curse of 24 frames per second. In fact it tends to stand in the way of the solutions to that more fundamental problem. The NBA execs made a bold decision to do the All Star Game 3-D simulcast at 60 frames per second, because they didn't like the judder. The effect of the high-frame-rate 3-D was visually astonishing, a huge crowdpleaser.

I would vastly prefer to see 2K/48 frames per second as a new display standard, than 4K/24 frames per second. This would mean shooting movies at 48 fps, which the digital cameras can easily accommodate. Film cameras can run that fast, but stock costs would go up. However, that could be offset by shooting 3-perf, or even 2-perf, because you'd get the resolution back through the higher display rate. The 48 fps negative or digital master can be skip-printed to generate a 24 fps 35mm DI negative for making release prints, so 48 is the magic number because it remains compatible with the film-based platform which will still be with us for some time, especially internationally.

Easystride said:
Glad I sold my PS2 copies on eBay. I will be buying this collection immediately.

I have never double-dipped, but I will for this. I sold my copies of God of War 1 & 2 ahead of the GoW Collection but I will never part with my PS2 originals of these two.

So - what HD remake will PS3 players pine for now?

RadarScope1 said:
I have never double-dipped, but I will for this. I sold my copies of God of War 1 & 2 ahead of the GoW Collection but I will never part with my PS2 originals of these two.

So - what HD remake will PS3 players pine for now?

Metal Gear Solid. :D

Top Bottom