• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Ubisoft is removing games from UPlay bought from unauthorized retailers

You clearly didn't read the thread title or what it is about.

I did read the original thread. I know what the issue is, but it's only Ubisoft who is reacting to this and pissing off lots of people. I know they're right, but looks like they're not even bothered anymore: all PR is good PR.

EDIT: The past year and now this looks like a slow suicide. They just do everything in a wrong way. :)

Nokterian

If the keys were generated illegally or the keys were stolen, then still Ubisoft should contact the users, collect information, give them free keys, remove the old ones then contact the police.

I appears that the way Ubisoft is handling this is the moronic way. Ubisoft should ask themselves "do we really want people to go back to pirating our games this badly?"

People actually pay a lot of money for their games even though it's grey market items (which isn't illegal in itself). Usually these money find their way back to Ubisoft anyway.

Why give them free keys? Not ubisoft fault it is the people who bought it from a shady website and it is ultimately there fault for not informing if it is a legit website. Ubisoft or steam have the right to remove it there illegal goods sold for there profit not for the publisher or developer.

I did read the original thread. I know what the issue is, but it's only Ubisoft who is reacting to this and pissing off lots of people. I know they're right, but looks like they're not even bothered anymore: all PR is good PR.

EDIT: The past year and now this looks like a slow suicide. They just do everything in a wrong way. :)

Again watch this from Totalbiscuit on how he explains that even Rebellion removed 7000 illegal keys because people bought from websites like G2A. And yet again people blame them but not thinking to them self why they even bought it from a website like that and what is shady in everyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08b3XzFGqJY

And read this from the developer..7000 keys is a lot of money that Rebellion didn't got.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/238090/discussions/0/540744936577983546/

And that's why i can not understand that a lot here blaming ubisoft instead of those illegal key selling websites. Like devolver there not getting any money at all.
Most likely extreme bias. To a lot of people in the gaming "world" is always us vs them.

Admitting Ubisoft is on the right in this particular case means supporting the man,the big bad publisher.

Some Gamers remind me of how cops protect their own, they tend to lose objectivity.

bj00rn_

Banned
Why give them free keys? Not ubisoft fault

Because it's the correct humane way to handle it, Ubisoft don't lose out (because they also very well know the most users won't spend another 40 dollars buying a new game..), and it generates goodwill. Simple as that.

madjoki

If the keys were generated illegally or the keys were stolen, then still Ubisoft should contact the users, collect information, give them free keys, remove the old ones then contact the police.

I appears that the way Ubisoft is handling this is the moronic way. Ubisoft should ask themselves "do we really want people to go back to pirating our games this badly?"

People actually pay a lot of money for their games even though it's grey market items (which isn't illegal in itself). Usually these money find their way back to Ubisoft anyway (again: unless they are stolen or connected to fraud).

They should inform, but they shouldn't be giving free copies.

Why? Because sites would still keep selling illegal keys and people would still buy because it gets replaced, win for customer, big loss for publisher & official seller(s).

If you buy stolen physical property, you will lose it too and who it was stolen from isn't required to give you anything.

Because it's the correct humane way to handle it, Ubisoft don't lose out (because they also very well know the most users won't spend another 40 dollars buying a new game..), and it generates goodwill. Simple as that.

And they need all the good press at the moment. They've pissed off lots of gamers lately.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Pretty sure there are examples in this thread of not only devs telling people not to use this site but also examples of keys being banned by other companies. So no, you clearly did not read the thread and evidently just came in here to deliver a "Ubilol" shitpost.

They should inform, but they shouldn't be giving free copies.

Why? Because sites would still keep selling illegal keys and people would still buy because it gets replaced, win for customer, big loss for publisher & official seller(s).

If you buy stolen physical property, you will lose it too and who it was stolen from isn't required to give you anything.
Thank you, some of the suggestions are ridiculous, "the consumer didn't know ay better so give them it for free" is a ridiculous notion. Yes consumers should know better and be more careful about who're they're buying their products from when it comes to websites like G2A compared to way more legitimate sites like humble bundle. And it's up to those consumers to contact the site and pursue the person who sold them the product in the first place.

Because it's the correct humane way to handle it, and it generates goodwill. Simple as that.
There is no need to be humane. They could do that but that would be rewarding the people who effectively tried scammed them out of their money and it is a big fuck you to all the people who bought the game legally.

I am glad ubisoft is doing this, it will punish the people who don't think before buying a product.

Goodwill means shit in this case, the ones more likely to see it as goodwill are an insignificant percentage and it destroys a site that sells games illegally.

These keys were probably bought with stolen information. Also stop abusing the word humane, it is a strong word don't use it as a speech enhancer.

Nokterian

Not really these keys where sold through grey markets they where stolen and stolen keys get revoked no matter what and that let's you think twice if that didn't happen all ready.

Garani

Because key resellers buy from legitimate retailers and then issue charge backs etc, which is why these keys are "stolen"

Indeed so, but they may not be linked to G2A exclusively. This is the point that I debate.

Because selling retail keys digitally is not legitimate, and no legitimate retailer will EVER sell keys from a physical copy, you don't see GMG etc opening boxes and giving people the Steam keys from inside

Once again, it isn't. Once I own the physical good, I can do whatever I want with it, and resell it as well. G2A started business doing just that: buying in bulk physical good, and sending over the scan of the actual key.

Except not paying VAT is classed as tax fraud and illegal

That is another thing. VAT was not to be charged back at the time. The law changed in 2015, and in fact Star Citizen will start to charge VAT from 1st of Feb too, just for the same reason.

That should be part of a legitimate business anyways, if I buy through ebay and a seller screws me over, I can force a refund through paypal etc, the same happens with Amazon Marketplace sellers etc

You can do that with G2A too: just ring up paypal and post a complaint against G2A.

That's great, but don't blame the publisher or developer of a game when they decide to take action on the retailer
I do once the publisher/developer accept the key at hand as legitimate. That is the whole point of actually registering a key online with the publisher, isn't it.

Pretty sure there are examples in this thread of not only devs telling people not to use this site but also examples of keys being banned by other companies. So no, you clearly did not read the thread and evidently just came in here to deliver a "Ubilol" shitpost.

I know what happened to Devolver in the past, so do not make assumptions about me like that. I also know about the shitty reputation these sites have. I also know that most of the big streamers have promotional/% deals with these sites - which I've always found strange, because these are not legit resellers.

And yet, it is still only Ubisoft who are reacting to these sites. They get loads of shit by doing this. Now, maybe others will join after Ubi, but Ubi still gets most shit upon them.

They're really scratching the players in a wrong way - even though they're right on this matter.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I know what happened to Devolver in the past, so do not make assumptions about me like that. I also know about the shitty reputation these sites have. I also know that most of the big streamers have promotional/% deals with these sites - which I've always found strange, because these are not legit resellers.

And yet, it is still only Ubisoft who are reacting to these sites. They get loads of shit by doing this. Now, maybe others will join after Ubi, but Ubi still gets most shit upon them.

They're really scratching the players in a wrong way - even though they're right on this matter.
It's not only Ubisoft reacting to the site if we have other examples of developers telling people to avoid the site/reacting to the situation in this very thread. And if they're in the right then obviously it's not their fault.

bj00rn_

Banned
There is no need to be humane. They could do that but that would be rewarding the people who effectively tried scammed them out of their money and it is a big fuck you to all the people who bought the game legally.

I am glad ubisoft is doing this, it will punish the people who don't think before buying a product.

I would continue to have a rational discussion about this, but the tone of your post kinda tell me it's rather futile. Saying that a user buying a game in the grey market a scam against Ubisoft is preposterous. And it's exactly the attitude that will drive people to pirate instead.

If Ubisoft have some brains left in the company, they would understand that the growing grey market is just a symptom of their own making.

Not really these keys where sold through grey markets they where stolen and stolen keys get revoked no matter what and that let's you think twice if that didn't happen all ready.

Stolen keys have nothing to do with a "grey market". It's called a grey market for a reason.. You should read up on the definition of the term next time you talk about it.

Nokterian

And stop blaming ubisoft go blame those websites like G2A for selling illegal keys.
No not only Ubisoft..jezus man look at the post i made about Rebellion,Devolver,Natural Selection 2 and the video from totalbiscuit. There are a lot more then just ubisoft.

MUnited83

For you.

First you said that you read the thread. However, you seem to believe it's only Ubisoft doing this. If you actually read the thread you would know that this isn't true at all.

madjoki

That is another thing. VAT was not to be charged back at the time. The law changed in 2015, and in fact Star Citizen will start to charge VAT from 1st of Feb too, just for the same reason.

Nope, only country where VAT is paid to has changed for EU based sellers. (Non-EU have been under similar rule from 2003).

Thought I have my doubts these sites have paid taxes.

No not only Ubisoft..jezus man look at the post i made about Rebellion,Devolver,Natural Selection 2 and the video from totalbiscuit. There are a lot more then just ubisoft.

Let's rephrase then: Ubisoft is the only BIG publisher who are taking action, thus getting all the heat. Maybe some other big publishers join their cause after Ubi has gotten the blame? Who knows. It's still Ubisoft, right now, getting shit poured on them.

Haven't seen your post at all. But I'll watch the Biscuit video now.

Why give them free keys? Not ubisoft fault it is the people who bought it from a shady website and it is ultimately there fault for not informing if it is a legit website. Ubisoft or steam have the right to remove it there illegal goods sold for there profit not for the publisher or developer.

Like others said it's not about what's in their right but what's in their interest. A small gesture can go a long way with customers.

The way Ubisoft did it makes it appear like they criminalized them. Customers have every right to buy keys from wherever they want even when they should 2nd guess deals that appear to be too good to be true.

People won't go out and buy the games at full price right away and they won't catch the frauds that way either.

Doombacon

Ubi is not the only company that has done this and certainly will not be the last. Just last fall a significant amount of Sniper Elite 3 keys were removed from steam.

Pissing off customers that bought their game on the grey market is probably only a slightly higher risk than pissing of pirates in the eyes of a lot of companies.

Customers have every right to buy keys from wherever they want even when they should 2nd guess deals that appear to be too good to be true..

Sure they do, just as Ubi has every right to reclaim stolen goods. Customers also have the right to sue the shady company selling them stolen keys for a refund of the purchase price, but really we should just keep railing on Ubisoft for no reason.

Nokterian

Let's rephrase then: Ubisoft is the only BIG publisher who are taking action, thus getting all the heat. Maybe some other big publishers join their cause after Ubi has gotten the blame? Who knows. It's still Ubisoft, right now, getting shit poured on them.

Haven't seen your post at all. But I'll watch the Biscuit video now.

Devolver have taken action,Rebellion has taken action the developers of Natural Selection 2 also took action to remove illegal keys.

Still blaming ubisoft..unbelievable.

Devolver have taken action,Rebellion has taken action the developers of Natural Selection 2 also took action to remove illegal keys.

Still blaming ubisoft..unbelievable.

Point me where I blame Ubisoft on that post. Please, do it. I'm just saying that they're getting the heat right now, at this very moment. There are no other BIG publishers doing the same thing at this moment, right now. Ubi will get all the shit now, at the moment, today, tomorrow, next week.

Storm360

I'll probably not reply after this, it's clear we both have different options on this and neither of us will probably shift from that, but just to respond to this.

Indeed so, but they may not be linked to G2A exclusively. This is the point that I debate.
It's not the site itself I have a problem with, it's these illegitimate keys, if G2A turned into a legit retailer such as GMG etc, I would happily use them, but it's the fact they're selling these keys that's the issue.

Once again, it isn't. Once I own the physical good, I can do whatever I want with it, and resell it as well. G2A started business doing just that: buying in bulk physical good, and sending over the scan of the actual key.
There is a huge difference between selling something you own, and buying 100s of them to sell in my opinion, and there is a HUGE difference between say, me offloading a extra copy of Halo on ebay to me going to a store and buying a bunch of them to sell on my own personal web store.

Except by making it optional, you aren't really charging it, maybe it's enough for the law, but it's also enough to make me uncomfortable with the website

You can do that with G2A too: just ring up paypal and post a complaint against G2A.
Chargebacks are always a option I agree, but still, post purchase support shouldn't be something that costs extra from a "legitimate" company, like i said, with Amazon, if I have a problem with a marketplace seller, I can go through them.

I do once the publisher/developer accept the key at hand as legitimate. That is the whole point of actually registering a key online with the publisher, isn't it
So, if someone offers you a TV for 75% off the retail price and you buy it, and it turns out a few month down the line that it was stolen so it get's taken off you and given back to it's rightful owner, you'd blame the owner of the TV and not the person that sold it to you?

I would continue to have a rational discussion about this, but the tone of your post kinda tell me it's rather futile. Saying that a user buying a game in the grey market a scam against Ubisoft is preposterous. And it's exactly the attitude that will drive people to pirate instead.

If Ubisoft have some brains left in the company, they would understand that the growing grey market is just a symptom of their own making.

Stolen keys have nothing to do with a "grey market". It's called a grey market for a reason.. You should read up on the definition of the term next time you talk about it.
You are correct it will be a waste of my time
Since you and I are on an extreme ends.

I believe companies should not reward people who support a grey market and an illegal site.

You believe a company should reward supporting a grey market because of reasons that sound ridiculous to ME.

There is no argument that will allow us to breach this grand canyon side difference in opinions about the law and common sense. So further discussion would be a waste of my time.

Nokterian

Point me where I blame Ubisoft on that post. Please, do it. I'm just saying that they're getting the heat right now, at this very moment. There are no other BIG publishers doing the same thing at this moment, right now. Ubi will get all the shit now, at the moment, today, tomorrow, next week.

You said it a page back..

Ubisoft keeps delivering and people are still buying their products. Go figure. I guess humanity is overrated.

That is blaming ubisoft for no reason. So for some reason you still didn't read through the thread and only what OP said clearly you missed this boat even more and don't what the hell your talking about.

bud23

This was necessary, and hopefully more developers will follow Ubisoft's example.

Yes, I know it sucks, but you have no one to blame but yourself.

FYI when you buy with G2A they have a $1 recurring charge for using shield. If you cancel the recurring charge, you cant use your paypal with them again

That is blaming ubisoft for no reason. So for some reason you still didn't read through the thread and only what OP said clearly you missed this boat even more and don't what the hell your talking about.

I read the original thread's OP (Ubisoft forums). There's nothing about Devolver or Sniper Elite or anything about that. There's nothing on GAF's OP either and this thread has quite many pages already, I only read few first ones.

And I already explained my take on this. Ubisoft had a horrible year. 2014 was a nightmare for them, PR-wise. Now suddenly they jump to ban games on uPlay - rightfully or not, doesn't matter, because they will piss off even more gamers. Do you get it now, or should I explain myself for the third time?

Ubisoft should do something good for a while.

Doombacon

Not sure how you are trying to relate cell phone service to cd keys and digital rights.

Are you suggesting that registering a CD key should give the user a clean title to the product regardless of anything else that has happened to it? Because that's not how property works, digital or not.

nynt9

There is a huge difference between selling something you own, and buying 100s of them to sell in my opinion, and there is a HUGE difference between say, me offloading a extra copy of Halo on ebay to me going to a store and buying a bunch of them to sell on my own personal web store.

Wait, why? You can sell something you own, whether you own 1 of it or 100 of it. Why is selling large amounts of something you own bad? How many is too much? Can I sell 2 of it? 5? 10? 20? Where is the cutoff, and why is the cutoff at that amount?

The Cowboy

Not sure how you are trying to relate cell phone service to cd keys and digital rights.

Its the remote revoking aspect that is being compared in this instance.

With digital game keys all a company has to do is revoke the key and the game no longer works, with a stolen phone it kinda works using a similar system - the person who phone was stolen blocks the phones unique key and the phone no longer works.

That's how the 2 can be compared, because the both use a system that revokes access to a product (game/phone) via blocking a key.

Wait, why? You can sell something you own, whether you own 1 of it or 100 of it. Why is selling large amounts of something you own bad? How many is too much? Can I sell 2 of it? 5? 10? 20? Where is the cutoff, and why is the cutoff at that amount?

The law tends to not be consistent, so there is that.

People are making so many assumptions.

In the past i have bought from Ubisoft games to sell to G2A and Kinguin (7 Entertainment Ltd) as well. Ubisoft is aware of these deals incl AC:U and FC4.

Ubisoft is breaking the law here, for certain in the EU, regarding consumer goods.

The Cowboy

Ubisoft is breaking the law here, for certain in the EU, regarding consumer goods.
No they are not, and it amazes me that people actually think they are.

They voided a bunch of stolen keys, that is perfectly legal for them to do - if it turns out that a voided STOLEN key was actually used, then its actually the person who used the key who's potentially in more legal hot water as they received stolen goods.

Nokterian

I read the original thread's OP (Ubisoft forums). There's nothing about Devolver or Sniper Elite or anything about that. There's nothing on GAF's OP either and this thread has quite many pages already, I only read few first ones.

And I already explained my take on this. Ubisoft had a horrible year. 2014 was a nightmare for them, PR-wise. Now suddenly they jump to ban games on uPlay - rightfully or not, doesn't matter, because they will piss off even more gamers. Do you get it now, or should I explain myself for the third time?

Ubisoft should do something good for a while.

When i blame ubisoft it is there products being broken or not working and PR and for this? I do not blame them but i blame people bought it from 3rd party shady websites and it is there fault for buying it and not looking up if it's a legal seller. It's the fault of the consumer who got misled by buying it from a not offical website.

Do you get it know? Clearly not because i need to explain it even more before it goes in to that brain.

I posted this before and since your to lazy to scroll up about devolver or rebellion i will post it again.

Again watch this from Totalbiscuit on how he explains that even Rebellion removed 7000 illegal keys because people bought from websites like G2A. And yet again people blame them but not thinking to them self why they even bought it from a website like that and what is shady in everyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08b3XzFGqJY

And read this from the developer..7000 keys is a lot of money that Rebellion didn't got.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/238090/discussions/0/540744936577983546/

pompidu

Its the remote revoking aspect that is being compared in this instance.

With digital game keys all a company has to do is revoke the key and the game no longer works, with a stolen phone it kinda works using a similar system - the person who phone was stolen blocks the phones unique key and the phone no longer works.

That's how the 2 can be compared, because the both use a system that revokes access to a product (game/phone) via blocking a key.

Wasnt talking about the simplicity of the technology to do such a thing. Im saying seeing how easy it is for them to remove access to a product(not saying they shouldnt). Having to remotely lock a phone begins with the user. Remotely locking (or removing a cd key) bypasses the consumer and the company has made the decision for them.

MUnited83

For you.
People are making so many assumptions.

In the past i have bought from Ubisoft games to sell to G2A and Kinguin (7 Entertainment Ltd) as well. Ubisoft is aware of these deals incl AC:U and FC4.

Good luck trying to find that law, because it doesn't exist.

Spacejaws

Well im a bit disgusted by this.

Last year I was looking for a good deal for Far Cry 4 and Assassin Creed Unity as they were not on steam and would be my first Uplay exclusive games.

All I did was search for the cheapest deals and found Kinguin. Following that I made a few searches of 'is kinguin legit' and found nothing stating it was stolen or illegitimate keys. I just bought what I thought was a good deal and had no godamn idea of the shady market these sellers operate in and now I will potentially lose £90 because Ubisoft felt it would be better to punish me than act against the reseller.

Further cemented the idea that I will never buy a game exclusive for Uplay again. What a total shit, anti-consumer system. I say I have potentially lost the games because I'm playing Uplay in offline mode and now too scared to connect it again.

When i blame ubisoft it is there products being broken or not working and PR and for this? I do not blame them but i blame people bought it from 3rd party shady websites and it is there fault for buying it and not looking up if it's a legal seller. It's the fault of the consumer who got misled by buying it from a not offical website.

It's not the buyers fault for buying from a site like G2A. They look really legit, they have everything in order. The biggest streamers are promoting these same sites. And you blame people who buy these cheap games when some really big streamer gives a discount? Really?

Some streamer who has 20k+ viewers at every hour says "hey, buy Far Cry 4 from this site and you'll get a 5% discount, and the game is really cheap as well". You really expect people to think these promoted sites are illegal? No.

It's not the players (or publishers) fault, it's always the grey market retailer's fault to sell these stolen/generated/illegal keys.

Do you get it know? Clearly not because i need to explain it even more before it goes in to that brain.

And this is the third time when I say I understand where Ubi stands, they are right here, but yet again they're not doing any good on their public image. They're just pissing off people.

And for the record, I have nothing invested here. My AC4, Watch Dogs, Child of Light and Valiant Hearts have been bought legit as I'm mainly a console gamer at the moment.

EDIT: Yeah, Devolver and Sniper Elite. Old news. This is now. Ubisoft is doing it. One of the biggest publishers, it's going to get into the news. There's tens of thousands of games being banned. Do you really think people are not going to blame Ubisoft for banning their games? "But I bought this game from XXX site because Towelliee promoted it, Ubisoft, you're evil!". Even though Ubi is right, they're gonna get drowned in shit yet again.

Doombacon

Last year I was looking for a good deal for Far Cry 4 and Assassin Creed Unity as they were not on steam and would be my first Uplay exclusive games.

All I did was search for the cheapest deals and found Kinguin. Following that I made a few searches of 'is kinguin legit' and found nothing stating it was stolen or illegitimate keys. I just bought what I thought was a good deal and had no godamn idea of the shady market these sellers operate in and now I will potentially lose £90 because Ubisoft felt it would be better to punish me than act against the reseller.

Further cemented the idea that I will never buy a game exclusive for Uplay again. What a total shit, anti-consumer system. I say I have potentially lost the games because I'm playing Uplay in offline mode and now too scared to connect it again.

You're really directing your ire to the wrong company. If Kinguin sold you stolen product you should go complain to them and attempt to reclaim your money.

dex3108

If Kinguin refuses to refund you Kinguin is punishing you not Ubisoft. If Kinguin refunds your purchase you will get your money back and you will be richer for experience and again Ubisoft didn't punish you.

Nokterian

It's not the buyers fault for buying from a site like G2A. They look really legit, they have everything in order. The biggest streamers are promoting these same sites. And you blame people who buy these cheap games when some really big streamer gives a discount? Really?

Some streamer who has 20k+ viewers at every hour says "hey, buy Far Cry 4 from this site and you'll get a 5% discount, and the game is really cheap as well". You really expect people to think these promoted sites are illegal? No.

It's not the players (or publishers) fault, it's always the grey market retailer's fault to sell these stolen/generated/illegal keys.

And this is the third time when I say I understand where Ubi stands, they are right here, but yet again they're not doing any good on their public image. They're just pissing off people.

And for the record, I have nothing invested here. My AC4, Watch Dogs, Child of Light and Valiant Hearts have been bought legit as I'm mainly a console gamer at the moment.

101.gif

Top Bottom