• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Activision remaking Goldeneye for Wii

I really like James Bond stuff, but don't have a wii or really need to play Goldeneye again. This thread still excites me for 2 reasons:

1). I found out that Bizarre Creations is making the James Bond driving game. That's about the best thing that could happen with that game. I'm now secretly excited about it.

2). The Daniel Craig retroactively being in Goldeneye stuff is pretty priceless from a "WTF!?!?" perspective. I like Brosnan just as much, but it is just so odd and kind of cool.

Interesting to remember that the other attempt to cash in on Goldeneye's name was an early DS title.
goldeneye-rogue-agent_screen003.jpg

Sirius

You had to have been there...., when the film was just released and craze for the N64 game under the same name was reaching fever pitch. I think it was because I grew up playing GoldenEye and multiplayer with my mates as a kid so much that the experience is still fresh when I play it now.

Every time the same mates come over we customarily have a few rounds of GoldenEye and lose ourselves in the hilarity/craziness of it. 10 years on and it still feels the exact same to us - regardless of it's archaic textures and aged design.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
yeah, i think i played it for a few hours, got frustrated at technical issues, went back another day to get through the story, lost interest, and got hooked into team fortress 2 again. i've now sunk 200 hours into team fortress 2. the last game i sunk 200 hours into was nothing. i've never played a game more than tf2 and there's no sign that i'll stop. fuck you, perfect dark.

Team Fortress 2 is sooo amazing. Now that's where people should be sinking their FPS time :D

carlo6529

I am actually happy to hear of this. I am looking forward to it.

No way Activision will be able to live up the hype and nostalgia levels created by the original

Kunan

AniHawk said:
yeah, i think i played it for a few hours, got frustrated at technical issues, went back another day to get through the story, lost interest, and got hooked into team fortress 2 again. i've now sunk 200 hours into team fortress 2. the last game i sunk 200 hours into was nothing. i've never played a game more than tf2 and there's no sign that i'll stop. fuck you, perfect dark.
I recently got sucked back into tf2 as well. Hard to play any other FPS when more tf2 awaits.

Reknoc

Hoo-ray. Goldeneye was a pretty good game back in the day, for the game itself certainly not the movie it was based on. Perfect Dark on XBLA was a pretty good indication that I couldn't care less about a Goldeneye game in any form now.

God I miss EA having the license, sure they made that one game but they made 3 pretty decent original games. And some pretty good games based on the films (one even on a good Bond film :O).

Guess it'll be interesting to see Craig as a more traditional film Bond though.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Interesting to remember that the other attempt to cash in on Goldeneye's name was an early DS title.
[ig]http://sp.times.lv/img/screen/goldeneye-rogue-agent_screen003.jpg[/img]

uh, there were console versions as well

Sirius said:
You had to have been there...., when the film was just released and craze for the N64 game under the same name was reaching fever pitch. I think it was because I grew up playing GoldenEye and multiplayer with my mates as a kid so much that the experience is still fresh when I play it now.

Every time the same mates come over we customarily have a few rounds of GoldenEye and lose ourselves in the hilarity/craziness of it. 10 years on and it still feels the exact same to us - regardless of it's archaic textures and aged design.
The film sucked and if I'm not mistaken the game was delayed significantly to the point where it released a few years after the film.

evilromero said:
The film sucked and if I'm not mistaken the game was delayed significantly to the point where it released a few years after the film.

i thought the film was really quite good but yeah the game released so much later that they ran joint tv adverts for goldeneye the game and tomorrow never dies the film

Penguin

evilromero said:

I'll disagree with the first part.
It is a pretty solid Bond flick.

The second part is true, as the game was released in 1997 and is closer to the release of Tomorrow Never Dies than it is Goldeneye actually...

It released 4 months before Tomorrow Never Dies. :lol

Xater

Amir0x said:
In my eyes, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are relics of an FPS era gone by, pretty much terrible by todays standards.

I thought maybe Perfect Dark might hold up under scrutiny when they remove the terrible framerate and such, but nope... on the XBLA, it's completely unfun. Truly a terrible FPS that would receive a 6.0 when any taint of nostalgia was removed.

One can respect where we've come from without wanting to go back. That's where I am at.

I think I at some point had fun with Goldeneye... probably. Maybe it was my imagination? But it certainly is not fun by any stretch of that imagination now. God no.

Glad I am not the only one who thinks this way. I even have some delusional friends that actually convinced themselves that it's still great. I always have to say though that by the time Perfect Dark was released I was already playing FPS games on the PC. Perfect Dark didn't do much for me even at it's initial release.

Earl Cazone said:
uh, there were console versions as well
Yes, but none of them are still around to receive this one. DS is just the right age to be bookended by different publishers' attempts to cash in on the Goldeneye name.
evilromero said:
Yep. Movie: November 1995. Game: August 1997.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I wrote a pretty exhaustive list two years ago retarding the content and technical achievements of Perfect Dark. Its long, but since people are mentioning the game, I'm going to post it here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GAME MODES
- Single player missions.
- Exploration / interaction of game HUB.
- Combat Simulator / Multiplayer.
- Co-Op play, with either a human or a bot, and 5 different teammate "personalities" to select.
- Counter-Op, allowing a friend to play as enemy players while you play missions.

SINGLE PLAYER
- 17 main missions, 4 bonus missions.
- Voiced and animated cut-scenes for all missions.
- 3 main difficulties, each with extra objectives and level extensions. 4th bonus difficult allowing for tweaking of enemy health, damage, and accuracy, all tweakable beyond main difficulty setting values.
- Varied mission design including all out war, infiltration, hacking, and others.

ENGINE, EFFECTS, AND AWESOME STUFF
- Full, wide, and cinema modes.
- Normal and 16:9 ratios.
- Hi-Res mode for crisper display.
- Different languages.
- Surround sound support.
- Dynamic lighting from static lights, muzzle flash, and explosions.
- "Ting" sound of bullet shells accurate to how long they take to hit the floor.
- Different impact marks for different surfaces (wood, metal, ground, etc).
- Ability to shoot out lights, darkening rooms and areas.
- "Fishbowl" rendering effect on some items.
- Nightvision, x-ray, blur, and invisibility rendering.
- Bullet penetration accurate to weapon used and surface shot.
- Some reflection simulation.
- Blood decals.
- "Physics" head when shot. When hit will 'jerk' along the direction of the bullet.
- Knives + crossbow bolts stick and stay in objects.
- AI "hears" and "sees" the player. Possible to suppress sound and stay out of sight to avoid alerting the enemy.
- Different damage areas (head, torso, arms/legs), with different damage values and AI responses. Leg shots can cause limping, AI will hold wounds, and arm shots can cause enemy to drop weapon.
- Disarmed enemies can "give up" and raise their arms. Enemies can also pull out secondary weapon (pistol). This may be immediate, or they may initially "give up" then pull out secondary weapon when player looks away.
- Reload animations.
- Gangster-style gun twisting, yo.
- Breakable glass.
- 28 weapons, 5 throwable explosives, and 8 returning Goldeneye weapons. Nearly all weapons, the exception being Goldeneye weapons and some explosives, having secondary functions.
- Various gadgets including portal robotic cameras, night vision, x-ray vision, cloaking device, slow-motion enabling combat boost, hacking devices, and more.
- 43 unlockable cheats, from weapons to gameplay alterations.
- Ability to rewatch every cinematic in the game.

MUTLIPLAYER MENU
- 30 different multiplayer challenges, each playable with up to four human players.
- Quick randomised settings start.
- Pre-set game mode and settings to load and play immediately.
- Advanced game setup.

GAME SETUP
- 4 "Free For All" modes, and 2 specific "Teamwork" modes. All 4 "Free For All" modes can still be played in teams.
- Various game modifying options including One-Hit-Kills, Slow/Fast motion, radar and auto-aim management, as well as others.
- 13 "Perfect Dark" maps, 3 returning Goldeneye maps, and random map selection. All maps playable in all 6 game modes.
- 6 weapons per map. Selectable pre-set lists, random selection, or ability to set your own weapons. 38 different weapons/items to select from.
- Fine tuning of time, score, and team score limits.
- Human player handicap setting.
- Different team selection for each player and bot in the match.
- Ability to name and save these settings for later loading.

AI BOTS
- Up to 8 bots per match, each completely customisable.
- 6 different bot difficulties.
- 12 different bot personalities, giving them special play styles such as going for the leading/loosing player, hoarding weapons without using them, offensive/defensive play styles, choosing a player and hunting them for the game, speed/shield bonuses, and hunting the player that last killed them. This option is set alongside difficulty.
- Ability to set character body and head, just like the player.
- Ability to send commands to bots, asking them to perform specific tasks or play a certain style.

CHARACTER OPTIONS
- Ability to name your character.
- Individual character settings saved, allowing every player to set their own play style and difficult (eg: auto-aim, display sight, etc).
- Completed challanges recorded in player profile.
- Twelve recorded statistics include kills, deaths, accuracy, headshots, ammo used, damage dealt/received, games played, wins/losses, time played, and distance traveled.
- Four awardable medals (Accuracy, Head Shots, KillMaster, Survivor), with 21 different player ranking titles dictated by amount of medals earned. Difficulty of earning medals increases as ranking increases, preventing "cheap" medal earning.
- 60 body models, each with individual body matching first person hand models (most modern games still dont do this).
- 75 head models, each usable with all sixty body models.

SOUNDTRACK
- 42 different music tracks (originals + remixes).
- Manageable playlist, allowing the player to select a single track, multiple tracks to play with others ignored, and random track selection.

OTHER MULTIPLAYER DETAILS
- Four human players along with eight AI controlled bots.
- 30 different multiplayer challenges, each playable with up to four human players.
- Eight potential team colours, with the player given the ability to custom name each one.
- Ability to lock setting changes to last winner/looser, random, or the host.
- Horizontal or vertical screen splitting.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can understand Perfect Dark hate. I can see how its aged, and how it was a technical mess at the time. I can see how people might really dislike the level design today, or perhaps didnt find the game all that enjoyable back when it was released.

But terrible? Hah. No. The amount of love, variety, and playable content that went into Perfect Dark, and the attention to detail, leaves it still largely unmatched by nearly every single shooter released since.

Its not my favourite mutliplayer shooter and I'll happily agree that many of its designs are old. But boy, would I love for another developer to meet the kind of package and content standards of Perfect Dark today. Because, well, a vast majority have totally failed.

I mean, this is a game that had proper first person hand models for whichever torso you picked for your character. Out of sixty. Multiplayer focused and customisable games like Unreal Tournament 3 still fail to pull that off.

NR1

JoshuaJSlone said:
goldeneye-rogue-agent_screen003.jpg

Interesting that you bring this up, because n-Space developed the DS version of THAT GoldenEye game.

If the rumors are true, it looks like n-Space will get another crack at it. :lol

If this is true, I guarantee you that this remake will suck.

The best we can hope for out of this is a release of the original N64 game on the VC.

Haunted

boyshine said:
A port, no. Remake, possible. Reimagening, most likely. Honestly, if the game is just a brand new FPS with the setting from the GoldenEye movie it would still be a lot of fun seeing new levels but with recognizable scenes and themes. I'm pretty sure Eurocom know what they're dealing with here. It's a name that's bigger than the game, one of the most wanted remakes/reimagenings out there. They need to make the game different, but recognizable. They need to recapture the fun and feel of the original, but stay away from its weak sides. To me, this is on the same level as getting to work on the next Zelda or Mario game. It must be amazing, or it will be ripped to pieces by both fans and media. But as mentioned earlier, the music is the real hurdle. How to recreate a classic defined by its musical score without owning the rights.. I have no idea. The easiest would probably be to go to the movie, but the fans would want the score written by Norgate/Kirkhope.. o' E3, where art thou...
That's what I meant.

It can't be a port or remake because of the ongoing legal dispute. If Activision had settled the score with Nintendo and Microsoft, we'd hear about it in a Press Release.... at E3. Hm.

Lunchbox

Banned
that name is surrounded by so much nostalgia its not even funny anymore

even after this comes out (and blows) kids will be crying for a "true" goldeneye remake/sequel/port etc.

just let it go

Goldeneye was the only good Brosnan Bond movie.

Haunted said:
I'm pretty sure this can't be a remake because of the legal disputes with Microsoft and Nintendo, no?

I don't in any way think this is remotely true, but if you take the story about the abortive XBLA Goldeneye as fact, and then you assume that Activision eventually counter-proposed this to Nintendo (retail reimagining for Wii, XBLA re-release for MS), it's at least conceivable that such a deal could've been struck.

That, or it's a completely different game reusing elements from the Goldeneye N64 game only inasmuch as Activision can get away with calling them "derived from the Bond film license" (the much more likely result.)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I enjoyed the movie, but I always found the N64 game to be vastly overrated, and boring as fuck (I never played 4 player split screen though, only the single player campaign). Still, I'm curious to how Activision are getting around the Microsoft/Rare/Nintendo brouhaha for this remake.

Kibbles

Lunchbox said:
that name is surrounded by so much nostalgia its not even funny anymore

even after this comes out (and blows) kids will be crying for a "true" goldeneye remake/sequel/port etc.

just let it go
The XBLA was the true remake. This is being built from the ground up now and they are probably going to add a bunch of unnecessary shit.

I'll wait until we see it though, hopefully at E3.

Vizion28

Banned
Could this be the first high quality FPS Wii game? Fingers crossed. Let's hope it utilizes Motion Plus for faster turning. And has a robust online multiplayer.

Sorry High Voltage, but The Conduit was just mediocre.

As for Perfect Dark, I remember playing that game back in the days and I thought the developers put a lot of work into the game but I still enjoyed Goldeneye more. Perfect Dark lacked that magic that Goldeneye had.

Ridley327

Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh, it's Eurocom? Haha.

Hey now, Bond's about the only IP they've ever done where they've actually done a good job.

Still not sure what Activision is expecting here, though; GoldenEye was 13 years ago and got replaced as the de facto dorm room game once Halo came out. I just can't see it these days as anything but a flash in the pan success. The name can't mean that much these days, can it?

carlo6529

Combichristoffersen said:
I enjoyed the movie, but I always found the N64 game to be vastly overrated, and boring as fuck (I never played 4 player split screen though, only the single player campaign). Still, I'm curious to how Activision are getting around the Microsoft/Rare/Nintendo brouhaha for this remake.

There's your problem right there. The campaign was good but the multiplayer is where all the fun came from.

_Bro

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
Is that your kind's line of attack now? :lol
Not even, the Goldeneye: Source fan mod even had awful controls.

But yeah, this on the Wii without a GC controller would be pretty awful as an FPS.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
carlo6529 said:
There's your problem right there. The campaign was good but the multiplayer is where all the fun came from.

Yeah, I played it over at a friend's house, and he never really mentioned the multiplayer, it was always about the campaign. I don't think he played the multiplayer much, tbh.

Ridley327

_Bro said:

But yeah, this on the Wii without a GC controller would be pretty awful as an FPS.

Wait, you'd want to play a FPS with the Gamecube controller?!

selig

Banned
_Bro said:

what is this, i dont even...

[Nintex]

_Bro said:

I wonder why one of the mock-up pictures showed a gold classic controller, probably because they're not planning on doing any sort of classic control scheme. yeah that makes sense.

_Bro

Banned
Nightfire.

Had some good times with that one on the GC. I mean, it's not perfect, obviously, but it works better than what I've experienced with the Wii and 3-prong.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
_Bro said:

:lol :lol

Hey guys, N-Space is rumored to be helping with development! I know, I know.... but I kinda got a soft spot for them....

I hope this turns out well.

Polk

Ok, so is there any evidence that that's "remake" of the Rare's Goldeneye, not just new game with the same name?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
_Bro said:

*facepalm*

Somnid

_Bro said:

I could almost give you Classic Controller Pro if you were a waggle troll, but dear God what is wrong with you?

Nabs

_Bro said:

whats wrong with GES controls?

Odrion

Banned
Amir0x said:
In my eyes, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are relics of an FPS era gone by, pretty much terrible by todays standards.

I thought maybe Perfect Dark might hold up under scrutiny when they remove the terrible framerate and such, but nope... on the XBLA, it's completely unfun. Truly a terrible FPS that would receive a 6.0 when any taint of nostalgia was removed.

One can respect where we've come from without wanting to go back. That's where I am at.

I think I at some point had fun with Goldeneye... probably. Maybe it was my imagination? But it certainly is not fun by any stretch of that imagination now. God no.
I love how it's considered a rare achievement to even beat Perfect Dark XBLA. :lol There were certainly a lot of people who picked it up and said "bleh..."

It's a pre-Halo FPS, back when people liked it because they didn't know any better.

Amir0x

Banned
Odrion said:
I love how it's considered a rare achievement to even beat Perfect Dark XBLA. :lol There were certainly a lot of people who picked it up and said "bleh..."

It's a pre-Halo FPS, back when people liked it because they didn't know any better.

Pretty much. It's a damn shame that's what people have in their minds as the "peak", but I've learned one thing on GAF... you can never argue with nostalgia.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Amir0x said:
Pretty much. It's a damn shame that's what people have in their minds as the "peak", but I've learned one thing on GAF... you can never argue with nostalgia.

Don't even try, the rose tinted specs are a mile thick!! :lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well, i'll be damned.

Hopefully, the game will be just as good. Could use a little better graphics though.

Top Bottom