• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Activision remaking Goldeneye for Wii

I never played the original, but isn't it the general consensus that Goldeneye's gameplay is extremely dated and wouldn't hold up under today's FPS standards? I recall The Conduit getting a lot of flack because it played too much like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

TheYanger

donny2112 said:
Now it has been a while since I played Goldeneye's levels, but what I recall from when I was first playing Perfect Dark's levels is that there were distinct differences on a much higher scale than that of a simple color swap. Besides, it would be difficult to lay claim to the design of a hallway layout. :p

Your memory is or was faulty. The maps are the same.

Sirius

Gomu Gomu said:
what mockups?
Not sure if official, given the source - quoting it will probs earn me a banning;

google 'Activision Goldeneye leaked' and that should answer your question.

Gomu Gomu

http://www.destructoid.com/ooops-activision-s-goldeneye-wii-and-ds-remake-leaked-175549.phtml

XHzvj.jpg

Ewwwww.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Is that golden gun supposed to be a KLOBB?

I wonder if they'll still call it that, since he works for Microsoft now. Probably not.

goomba

Banned
Bond/Goldeneye/Nintendo/Microsoft/Activision makes this a complicated game to release. But I guess they all like money at the end of the day.

autobzooty said:
I never played the original, but isn't it the general consensus that Goldeneye's gameplay is extremely dated and wouldn't hold up under today's FPS standards? I recall The Conduit getting a lot of flack because it played too much like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "general consensus" if I were you. Rest assured, anyone who compared the Conduit to GoldenEye had no idea what they were talking about. GoldenEye is still my favorite FPS of all time. I could probably write a book about why I love the game so much, but I'll just give you the three reasons why I still hold the game in high regard.

1) GoldenEye achieved the perfect balance between stealth and power. Players were strongly encouraged to exercise stealth, but it was never required. Running around with loud automatic weapons can alert more guards to your location, but it didn't necessarily mean certain death. I also love how the guards would actually have to run to sound the alarm after seeing you, and how you'd have the chance to stop them before the cavalry was called in. It seems like a simple concept, but shooting a guard in the back as he's making a mad dash for the alarm never gets old.

2) GoldenEye also achieved perfect balance with respect to its difficulty. I probably died more in GoldenEye than in any other game ever, but it was always my fault. I'd spend hours trying to beat a certain level on the 00 level, but once I was good enough to finally complete it, I could do it again on a consistent basis. (I recently noticed the same phenomenon with Super Mario Galaxy 2. I could die 50 times trying to get a star, but then I'd be able to jump right back into the level and get it again without breaking a sweat.) In any case, I can honestly say that the learning curve in GoldenEye was completely flawless. The multiple difficulty settings ensured that anyone can play, but the higher settings will take months to master. Some of the missions will seem downright impossible at first, but once you build the skills to complete them, you will have the skills forever. It's almost like riding a bicycle. That's the mark of a fantastic game as far as I'm concerned.

3) I am still impressed by the variety in the game. The mission structure ensures that the gameplay is about more than running from one point to the next. Some stages encourage you to stay quiet, while others play out at a faster pace and almost feel like run and gun games. In some stages, you can take out enemies from hundreds of yards away, in others you'll sneak up behind them to shoot them in the back. In others still, you'll be forced to take out your enemies head on. There's a healthy mix of stages ranging from wide open fields to claustrophobic corridors, and each level feels unique. The core play mechanics in GoldenEye worked incredibly well with various styles of gameplay.

In summary, GoldenEye is awesome. You can say what you will about the tecnical aspects of the game, but the actual design is still brilliant to this very day.

StevePharma said:
If Ken Lobb is in it
Kinda doubt that. But it does reminds me that due to his party switching he's one of the few (only?) who's head is found in both N64 and X360 remake versions of Perfect Dark.

Red Scarlet

Jocchan said:
Do you know what I REALLY loved in GoldenEye? The fucking proximity mines.
I spent months playing with my brother and using them to set up, in turns, traps the other had to defuse. So awesome, it was like another game inside the game.

Proxy Mines on Facility was the people I played with's favorite. Was fun tossing them in the toilet/around the spawn vent/on ceilings/behind walls.

Sibylus

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Proxy Mines on Facility was the people I played with's favorite. Was fun tossing them in the toilet/around the spawn vent/on ceilings/behind walls.
Goddamn mine whores would camp the bathroom forever *shakes fist*

Click

Banned
I'm very interested to see how this remake will be.
I guess this will be demoed at E3. Yet another "leak..."

Wish they would come out with a X360 and PS3 version too.

Red Scarlet

Botolf said:
Goddamn mine whores would camp the bathroom forever *shakes fist*

Was a good place to put them..to get the ones in the BR they had to blow up the set ones which I think would blow up the pick-up ones? So they had to sit around for longer for them to respawn and thats when you destroy them.

Whatever happened to the Goldeneye thing on PC? That fan mod or whatever.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I loved the remote mines myself. I used them as remote grenades, ie I would throw them at people and detonate them in mid flight.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
GDGF said:
I loved the remote mines myself. I used them as remote grenades, ie I would throw them at people and detonate them in mid flight.
i loved them because of screenlooking.

How about that mine trick where if you'd throw one on an ammo box and pick it up the mine would seem to disappear, but still be functional. :D

I hope the game holds up in multiplayer. The only thing I didn't like was camping by the shields. You could get into a firefight and just run to get the shields in the middle of the battle. That's why we played License to Kill.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Red Scarlet said:
Facility was also my favorite map by a green country mile :D

Haunted

wat

I'm pretty sure this can't be a remake because of the legal disputes with Microsoft and Nintendo, no? This is probably Activision simply perusing their Bond license.

GDGF

Soothsayer
They say a DS version is coming too. Please, please, please let there be a secret 3DS version in the works.

boyshine

Haunted said:
wat

I'm pretty sure this can't be a remake because of the legal disputes with Microsoft and Nintendo, no? This is probably Activision simply perusing their Bond license.
A port, no. Remake, possible. Reimagening, most likely. Honestly, if the game is just a brand new FPS with the setting from the GoldenEye movie it would still be a lot of fun seeing new levels but with recognizable scenes and themes. I'm pretty sure Eurocom know what they're dealing with here. It's a name that's bigger than the game, one of the most wanted remakes/reimagenings out there. They need to make the game different, but recognizable. They need to recapture the fun and feel of the original, but stay away from its weak sides. To me, this is on the same level as getting to work on the next Zelda or Mario game. It must be amazing, or it will be ripped to pieces by both fans and media. But as mentioned earlier, the music is the real hurdle. How to recreate a classic defined by its musical score without owning the rights.. I have no idea. The easiest would probably be to go to the movie, but the fans would want the score written by Norgate/Kirkhope.. o' E3, where art thou...

GDGF said:
They say a DS version is coming too. Please, please, please let there be a secret 3DS version in the works.

Well, it's a safe bet that many early third-party 3DS titles will be straight DS ports with marginally improved visuals and a few other tacked-on bonuses. No reason why this couldn't be one of them!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Father_Brain said:
Well, it's a safe bet that many early third-party 3DS titles will be straight DS ports with marginally improved visuals and a few other tacked-on bonuses. No reason why this couldn't be one of them!

Please, please, please let there be a scaled down from Wii secret 3DS version in the works!

Nachkebia

Banned
I remember in gaming centers back than, we use to play UT and Rainbow six on LAN and every time I saw kids playing goldeneye I always felt sad for them :lol

Amir0x

Banned
autobzooty said:

In my eyes, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are relics of an FPS era gone by, pretty much terrible by todays standards.

I thought maybe Perfect Dark might hold up under scrutiny when they remove the terrible framerate and such, but nope... on the XBLA, it's completely unfun. Truly a terrible FPS that would receive a 6.0 when any taint of nostalgia was removed.

One can respect where we've come from without wanting to go back. That's where I am at.

I think I at some point had fun with Goldeneye... probably. Maybe it was my imagination? But it certainly is not fun by any stretch of that imagination now. God no.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
I thought maybe Perfect Dark might hold up under scrutiny when they remove the terrible framerate and such, but nope... on the XBLA, it's completely unfun. Truly a terrible FPS that would receive a 6.0 when any taint of nostalgia was removed.

yeah.

yeah. :(

i broke my One Rule and bought an xbox live gold thing for a year just to play it online :(

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
yeah.

yeah. :(

i broke my One Rule and bought an xbox live gold thing for a year just to play it online :(

I played it online with a few of my friends and it seemed like around level 2 we all came to the exact same conclusion.

"So...why are we playing this again?"
"This was considered one of the best FPS of all time... on N64!"
"I mean... uh... maybe at one time but..."
"The level design is pretty awkward by todays standards I admit."
"Plus the gunplay is also pretty bad."
"But the weapons concepts are neat!"
"I suppose they are neat in a way."
"That's about all that I can think of that is good."
<all at once>
"Yeah this game blows. Let's go play something else."

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Eh, I would have to disagree. I really liked Perfect Dark on XBLA, I felt like it held up pretty well. The graphics may have looked a little simple, but it looked good and the art style/soundtrack are still nice. The level design is good, no worse than most modern FPS and the gunplay is fun. The hit detection and sometimes hilarious enemy deaths are better than most modern FPS as well. I only played the single player parts, though.
Goldeneye might not hold up quite as well, but nostalgia alone will be enough to make it playable for me. Plus, the soundtrack kicks ass.

Unfortunately I don't have a Wii at the moment, but I guess this is another reason to get one. If they're really making a DS version I'll probably give it a try even though I can't see it controlling to well. It'll probably be an awkward d-pad/stylus combo like Mario 64 DS.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
I played it online with a few of my friends and it seemed like around level 2 we all came to the exact same conclusion.

"So...why are we playing this again?"
"This was considered one of the best FPS of all time... on N64!"
"I mean... uh... maybe at one time but..."
"The level design is pretty awkward by todays standards I admit."
"Plus the gunplay is also pretty bad."
"But the weapons concepts are neat!"
"I suppose they are neat in a way."
"That's about all that I can think of that is good."
<all at once>
"Yeah this game blows. Let's go play something else."

yeah, i think i played it for a few hours, got frustrated at technical issues, went back another day to get through the story, lost interest, and got hooked into team fortress 2 again. i've now sunk 200 hours into team fortress 2. the last game i sunk 200 hours into was nothing. i've never played a game more than tf2 and there's no sign that i'll stop. fuck you, perfect dark.

Top Bottom