• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Activision remaking Goldeneye for Wii

TheKingsCrown said:
Guarantee you that if this is real, Microsoft will be releasing Goldeneye on XBLA alongside it. Its jsut Nintendo's version could be argued to be "better" because its a whole new game and yet the same old game with all the features of the XBLA game.
If this were to happen, wouldn't Nintendo say what they said before when Activision wanted Goldeneye to be released on XBLA?

Shiggy

Rad- said:
So Nintendo "asked" Activision to cancel the XBLA version but now Activision is making this for Wii? Dick move much?

Microsoft will probably not allow Activision to release a Wii version of the game unless they can release their XBLA version.

Shiggy said:
Microsoft will probably not allow Activision to release a Wii version of the game unless they can release their XBLA version.
Yeah, Nintendo pulled the same move and I won't be surprised if Microsoft would do the same.

cacildo said:
2u5gmiq.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Doesn't mean they won't try to recreate the good stuff.

Shiggy

Shadowlink said:
Yeah, Nintendo pulled the same move and I won't be surprised if Microsoft would do the same.

Why should they? Microsoft wouldn't lose anything if they could finally release their XBLA version?!

Shiggy said:
Why should they? Microsoft wouldn't lose anything if they could finally release their XBLA version?!
Actually, I am wrong. :lol

If they were to pull the same move, then they'd lose, unlike Nintendo if they were to pull the same move, since most people buy Activision games on the 360.

Since we are making up shit as we go along I'm gonna say this, "The Goldeneye remake with gold classic controller bundle will be the Platinum award for Nintendo club this year."

grandjedi6 said:
Because Activision correctly assumes that this game's entire appeal hinges on nostalgia?
And you don't think any of 1997's GoldenEye players are 2010's Halo or Modern Warfare players? If there is a new GoldenEye and it is exclusive, I doubt it's because they don't think there's a PS360 market for it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
JoshuaJSlone said:
And you don't think any of 1997's GoldenEye players are 2010's Halo or Modern Warfare players? If there is a new GoldenEye and it is exclusive, I doubt it's because they don't think there's a PS360 market for it.
Yeah but then it would have to compete against Halo and Modern Warfare. By putting it on Wii they can neatly avoid that little competition thing :p

gamingeek

Eurogamer has learned that Activision is working on a James Bond: GoldenEye title for Wii and DS that should be released this November.

The new title may be a remake of the classic Nintendo 64 first-person shooter, originally developed by Rare, and according to our source the publisher intends to unveil it at E3.

Development duties have been split between UK-based Eurocom and US-based n-Space.

Eurocom has previously worked on James Bond titles during the franchise's time at E3, including the N64 title The World Is Not Enough.

Activision has been widely tipped to make a new GoldenEye game after it was spotted registering domain names derived from the name of the 1995 film. The original game is considered the best of a (mostly bad) Bond bunch.

Earlier this week it was spotted surveying gamers about a possible remake.

The Wii/DS GoldenEye title should not be confused with the Bizarre Creations game, thought to be called James Bond: Bloodstone, which is expected to focus on the driving side of the spy's skill-set.

We spoke to Activision but nobody was in a position to comment.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/activision-goldeneye-game-in-november

Eurocom have a lot of ex-Rare/Free Radical guys working for them. And they are a good team if you give them the right project and budget.

grandjedi6 said:
Yeah but then it would have to compete against Halo and Modern Warfare. By putting it on Wii they can neatly avoid that little competition thing :p
Nevah lies, mang. The Wii gets its nostalgia flavoured killer-app shooter, Nintendo gets cred from the western hardcore gamer set, Activision makes buckets of money and Microsoft gets a XBLA killer-app. Everyone's happy - except for Sony.

gamingeek said:
The Wii/DS GoldenEye title should not be confused with the Bizarre Creations game, thought to be called James Bond: Bloodstone, which is expected to focus on the driving side of the spy's skill-set.
That's a loose focus from what little I've seen. Bizarre has two teams shit storm and a-max, and only one of those has put out racing games, most recently Blur. The other team put out the 4 way split screen game the Club. Sure it could have a driving element but I don't think it'd be the focus.

onken said:
Last time they released a new GoldenEye game we got Rogue Agent, so my excitement is tempered.
That was a cheap cash-in by the guys who did Madden.

This is a somewhat more expensive cash-in/remake by the guys who did the better EA Bond games and some of the original GE team.

And if it sucks, there's the XBLA version.

watkinzez

Mr. Pointy said:

This is a somewhat more expensive cash-in/remake by the guys who did the better EA Bond games and some of the original GE team.

These original GE team members, who are they?
I think I asked about this before...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Do you know what I REALLY loved in GoldenEye? The fucking proximity mines.
I spent months playing with my brother and using them to set up, in turns, traps the other had to defuse. So awesome, it was like another game inside the game.

Mr. Pointy said:

i'm hoping this is good, by the way is it anything more than pure speculation the xbla version is going to be released?

watkinzez said:
These original GE team members, who are they?
I think I asked about this before...
I read something about Eurocom taking in a large number of ex-Free Radical guys after they went bust. I'm just assuming there are ex-Rare guys in those numbers.

You can't spell assume without ass, of course.

Please don't suck, you have to live up to our expectation! I believe in Activision and Eurocom, especially because we are talking about a FPS game.

YAY WII FPS :D

I don't know what the hell is going on here (so much speculation), but I will say that all I care about in this scenario is if we see Goldeneye on XBLA. That would make me a VERY happy camper.

onken

Mr. Pointy said:

Yeah if the XBLA version sees the light of day, and that's a pretty big if from what I gather (oh god please happen).

TunaLover

I don't get why it's obligatory release GoldenEye 64 for XBLA...
RARE does something to do with the game IP outside the code?

rawk

Hey I wonder if this means they'll also put the original on virtual console. I would buy that in a second, even though I have no one to play multiplayer with.

rawk said:
Hey I wonder if this means they'll also put the original on virtual console. I would buy that in a second, even though I have no one to play multiplayer with.

i doubt it, why let people pay £7 for the game when you can make them pay £40

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The copyright mess makes it really hard for the original game to show up on the Virtual Console.

Mr. Pointy said:
Needs a QTE sequence where you have to fight Xenia in the sauna while she tries to kill you with her thighs.
If this remake is still in first person, it would be... interesting.

rawk

Jocchan said:
The copyright mess makes it really hard for the original game to show up on the Virtual Console.

Yeah, but if Microsoft gets to put up a revamped version, and Activision gets some money, and Nintendo also has a version they consider superior to Microsoft's version, I don't see why anyone would mind the original on VC. But then I am not a lawyer.

TunaLover

I think it's probable that Activision doesn't want to lose the GoldenEye chance, it didn't work for XBLA because Nintendo said NO, then they go for an updated version for the Wii. Maybe it was Nintendo that only could allow a GoldenEye 64 release on XBLA if they release an updated game along a VC release, Nintendo is capable of that :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Would rebuilding an older title for only a release on the Wii and DS really be a worthwhile investment? I know Goldeneye is popular, but after all this time and on only two platforms would it really make a difference?

Probably true, and I can only expect terrible things, even though I thought Eurocom did a fantastic job with Dead Space: Extraction, and I think n-Space have a good thing going on.

Taker666

EatChildren said:
Would rebuilding an older title for only a release on the Wii and DS really be a worthwhile investment? I know Goldeneye is popular, but after all this time and on only two platforms would it really make a difference?

Probably true, and I can only expect terrible things, even though I thought Eurocom did a fantastic job with Dead Space: Extraction, and I think n-Space have a good thing going on.

I don't see why not. It would have a far better chance at selling that the majority of hardcore Wii/DS stuff.

Plus we don't know what sort of deal has been done. Maybe Nintendo moneyhatted a western company for once (or agreed to let activision make a Mario Guitar Hero game :D )

farnham

Banned
EatChildren said:

Golden Eye sold 10 million on N64. So i believe it has a chance to sell quite well on the Wii because of its name alone (even though i doubt it will sell 10 million). Really depends how the project turns out but with decent advertisement etc it is possible to make no loss i guess.

TunaLover

Shiggy said:
Not necessarely, they could go for the "reimagined" route to bypass totally the Rare control over the game, I understand that all this mess is because GE64 is a Nintendo/Rare joint project. But Activision is not really touching GE64 as is it.

Maybe they figure out a way the release the game without being in XBLA (since Nintendo forbid it), and avoid to face Nintendo katana armed lawyers :lol

Deku

Banned
farnham said:
Golden Eye sold 10 million on N64. So i believe it has a chance to sell quite well on the Wii because of its name alone (even though i doubt it will sell 10 million). Really depends how the project turns out but with decent advertisement etc it is possible to make no loss i guess.

Maybe i'm just sleep deprived that made me LOL.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this won't be a "remake" of GoldenEye as much as it'll be a new game based on the film GoldenEye.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
farnham said:

Like Goldeneye: Rogue Agent?

Top Bottom