• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Activision remaking Goldeneye for Wii

Suzzopher

Not sure why people are bringing up an XBLA version. Rare wrote the code, Nintendo published the original and now Activision own the Bond license. Microsoft only matter in keeping Goldeneye off Virtual Console. Nintendo and Activision have to agree on an XBLA. Seeing as this will be built from the ground up not using any legacy code from Rare an XBLA version looks likely to never happen.

I just hope Nintendo makes sure this game isn't crap. Dead Space Extraction was great fun, but this is a different type of game. I hope Eurocom nails it.

I find it pretty mind boggling that nobody at either Nintendo or Microsoft thought to bring up the GoldenEye question when changing hands of Rare. Nintendo clearly sold the rights to the Banjo / Conker / PD code as well as the character rights, which is what Microsoft wanted, but they didn't think to broach the subject of GoldenEye at all?

Nintendo bankrolled, published and distributed the original game and Rare was a second party (essentially part of Nintendo) - so I can see why Nintendo own the code. They seem to hold some claim to the copyright of the game too:

GoldenEye Manual said:
© 1997 Nintendo / Rare. Game by Rare. © 1962, 1995 Danjaq, LLC. & U.A.C. All rights reserved. © 1997 Eon Productions Ltd. & Mac. B. Inc. James Bond Theme by Monty Norman. Used by permission of EMI Unard Catalog Inc."

...but none of that seemed to stop the level designs appearing in some form in the Perfect Dark remake. If you're wondering who the other parties are - Danjaq is a holding company for the copyrights and trademarks of James Bond, UAC is United Artists Corporation (part of MGM). People mistakenly thought that when Sony bought MGM they had some claim to the bond rights, but they just have a deal with Danjaq on the movie related properties. The Bond game rights currently sit with Activision.

If Microsoft / Nintendo / Activision decided they couldn't agree to get the original re-released or remade, maybe Nintendo just figured they'd have a 'reimagined' game made instead. It would make sense. There might be nothing to stop Microsoft from doing a similar thing.

To be honest, as great as GoldenEye was, its dated quite badly. A re-imagining could be pretty cool, as long as the developer(s) understand what made the original so compelling in single player missions and in multiplayer. I wish Free Radical was still at full strength to be able to do this -- they would have done it justice.

Tomasooie

Suzzopher said:
Not sure why people are bringing up an XBLA version. Rare wrote the code, Nintendo published the original and now Activision own the Bond license. Microsoft only matter in keeping Goldeneye off Virtual Console. Nintendo and Activision have to agree on an XBLA. Seeing as this will be built from the ground up not using any legacy code from Rare an XBLA version looks likely to never happen.
I'm sure for a remake, consent would still be necessary from the original developer. Even if you're not using their code, you'd still be using their game and level design. I think the most likely scenario is that all three companies remained in talks (as this opportunity isn't one to be trashed and forgotten) and came to an agreement: Microsoft can release their remake (which is really just a port with updated art and online play), and Activision will develop a full-on remake for the Wii.

Suzzopher

Tomasooie said:
I'm sure for a remake, consent would still be necessary from the original developer. Even if you're not using their code, you'd still be using their game and level design. I think the most likely scenario is that all three companies remained in talks (as this opportunity isn't one to be trashed and forgotten) and came to an agreement: Microsoft can release their remake (which is really just a port with updated art and online play), and Activision will develop a full-on remake for the Wii.

Nope. A remake falls to publisher rights. If the game has all the same level design, AI, UI, props etc then yeah a dev would be able to call them out but if it is a remake with enough changes then it is all good. Rare own the level design hence the PDXBLA release including them.

EatChildren said:
Would rebuilding an older title for only a release on the Wii and DS really be a worthwhile investment? I know Goldeneye is popular, but after all this time and on only two platforms would it really make a difference?

Probably true, and I can only expect terrible things, even though I thought Eurocom did a fantastic job with Dead Space: Extraction, and I think n-Space have a good thing going on.

I haven't bought a Wii game since NSMB Wii (will be buying SMG2 after next week's paycheck), but I would totally buy this.

Raide

The recent XBLA Perfect Dark showed how to do it right. HD things up, add some bits but still manage to make it feel and play like it always did. For a new Goldeneye game to hit the right notes, it basically has to be like the above.

If its just using the "Goldeneye" name, in the hope that people will buy it thinking it is what they want, they could be very disappointed. I wonder what happened to the last "Goldeneye" using name hmmm?

KingJ2002

*checks date on thread*

didn't EA give this a try already?

51X7NXQ81KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

dacuk

Taker666 said:
I don't see why not. It would have a far better chance at selling that the majority of hardcore Wii/DS stuff.

Plus we don't know what sort of deal has been done. Maybe Nintendo moneyhatted a western company for once (or agreed to let activision make a Mario Guitar Hero game :D )
A Nintendo games music-based Guitar Hero would sell zillions...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Celine said:
If memory serves me, CoD4 for DS sold at least 500K and just in US.

Shit, seriously? I knew that they had done well, but ~500K in the US? That must have been such a great turn-around.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
daCuk said:
A Nintendo games music-based Guitar Hero would sell zillions...
Would people really want to play Nintendo tunes on their plastic peripherals, though?

The audience seems completely different, much more subject to what's "cool" and "badass" than geeks that go beyond the "hey, I remember that tune from some game" and are actually willing to play video game music.

Celine

EatChildren said:
Shit, seriously? I knew that they had done well, but ~500K in the US? That must have been such a great turn-around.

The turn around is due to the fact that the first month sales were just 36K ;-)

A Nintendo rep also mentioned the sales of Call of Duty 4 on the DS, which launched with only 36,000 units in its first month and went on to sell more than 500,000 copies. It's the case of games on Nintendo's systems being far more evergreen than how games have sold in the past.

http://www.destructoid.com/those-gta-chinatown-wars-sales-are-good-in-a-different-way-129146.phtml

WillyFive

The DS is fantastic for FPS. I can't believe there aren't more in it considering how popular the genre is. It's like playing with the keyboard and mouse.

Jocchan said:
Would people really want to play Nintendo tunes on their plastic peripherals, though?

The audience seems completely different, much more subject to what's "cool" and "badass" than geeks that go beyond the "hey, I remember that tune from some game" and are actually willing to play video game music.

I'd play F-Zero: Rock Band.

NeonZ

radioheadrule83 said:
...but none of that seemed to stop the level designs appearing in some form in the Perfect Dark remake.

Maybe level design was considered too generic? Several important sections of Facility were based on actual sets from Goldeneye, it was never just Rare's creation. However, a slightly tweaked version still reappeared in Perfect Dark without problems, although the textures and name were changed.

donny2112

radioheadrule83 said:
Nintendo clearly gave the rights to the Banjo / Conker / PD code as well as the character rights to RARE without Microsoft in the picture for that deal, at all

Fixed.

Suzzopher said:
Rare own the level design hence the PDXBLA release including them.

smh

They were in the original Perfect Dark, and it was just a similar level design and not a carbon-copy, anyways.

donny2112 said:
They were in the original Perfect Dark, and it was just a similar level design and not a carbon-copy, anyways.
We're talking Mario & Luigi NES days differences here, like whether or not bathroom stalls have doors.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
We're talking Mario & Luigi NES days differences here, like whether or not bathroom stalls have doors.

Now it has been a while since I played Goldeneye's levels, but what I recall from when I was first playing Perfect Dark's levels is that there were distinct differences on a much higher scale than that of a simple color swap. Besides, it would be difficult to lay claim to the design of a hallway layout. :p

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Cow Mengde said:
DS:E sucked monkey fuck.
we know your puppy was killed on-rails, but are't you getting a bit carried away?

Going back to the bit about it using Daniel Craig Bond... how would that work? I'm not very Bond knowledgeable, but it seems New Bond would be a bit out of his time? Considering both that it deals with events that occurred some years back though this Bond's origin story is recent, and deals with events both during and after the Cold War.

Kibbles

It'll probably play more like the original on the Wii which is good... I just hope it looks good too... it's a shame we were teased with the XBLA version so long, they finished it and tried getting Activision on board. Now Activision just took their idea, even the split screen online crap, and is making their own version? I really hope they don't screw this up. If they change and add a ton of dumb shit... =(

thefro

JoshuaJSlone said:
Going back to the bit about it using Daniel Craig Bond... how would that work? I'm not very Bond knowledgeable, but it seems New Bond would be a bit out of his time? Considering both that it deals with events that occurred some years back though this Bond's origin story is recent, and deals with events both during and after the Cold War.

They'd just plop in the Craig model in for Brosnan so they don't have to pay Brosnan a bunch of monies. It wouldn't fit into the current movie canon but that's not important.

HungryHorace

Neo Member
Mr. Pointy said:
This is a somewhat more expensive cash-in/remake by the guys who did the better EA Bond games and some of the original GE team.
Nobody from the original GE team is at Eurocom. You can check this for yourself using LinkedIn if you don't believe me.
Not neccesarily a bad thing. That you can make a good N64 title, doesn't mean you can make a good current gen title.
Suzzopher said:
Nope. A remake falls to publisher rights.
Nope. Depends upon the contract.

My guess is that this will be unrelated to N64GE, it will borrow some elements but essentially be a new game based on GoldenEye & it's reason for existing is thus: It allows Activision to release a Bond game across all platforms without having to limit the technical scope of the PS3/360 version or the controls of the Wii version. Also, as the Bond films have grown 'darker' in more recent years, GE is a better fit for the Wii. That it cashes in on any residual Nintendo-GoldenEye association is a bonus.

boyshine

-WindYoshi- said:
I'll say this: if they cannot keep the original music, the game simply will not be true Goldeneye.
I really hope they understand that the music and sounds are the perhaps the most important part of GoldenEye. The 'clunk' sounds from the Egyptian level, the mood and atmosphere from the Surface level.. when you think of a GoldenEye level you immediately remember the sounds and the music. Recreating the game without it would be meaningless and like "Re-Shelled" all over again.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
speculawyer said:
The Wii and DS? Really?

What a waste of an opportunity. Perhaps they had no choice since the original was N64 only.

Buy a Wii.

But seriously though, we don't even know how this is gonna turn out, so before we talk of "blown potential", we should at least see wtf it is!

Poyunch

Blueblur1 said:
They're only working on the DS version?
Eurocom's doing the Wii version (latest Wii title being Dead Space: Extraction) while n-space handles the DS version (they usually handle the DS COD versions).

watkinzez

Mr. Pointy said:
I read something about Eurocom taking in a large number of ex-Free Radical guys after they went bust. I'm just assuming there are ex-Rare guys in those numbers.

You can't spell assume without ass, of course.

Free Radical was only founded by members of the GE team (David Doak, Stephen Ellis, Graeme Norgate, Karl Hilton); they drummed up new talent to fill out the company. GE was only made by a dozen people after all, and those dozen were evenly distributed between Rare, FRD, and other places (Martin Hollis founded Zoonami by himself).

As to what they're doing now, Doak made a new company whose name escapes me with Ellis (I think?), while Norgate remains at Crytek UK. Dunno about Hilton.

farnham

Banned
watkinzez said:
Free Radical was only founded by members of the GE team (David Doak, Stephen Ellis, Graeme Norgate, Karl Hilton); they drummed up new talent to fill out the company. GE was only made by a dozen people after all, and those dozen were evenly distributed between Rare, FRD, and other places (Martin Hollis founded Zoonami by himself).

As to what they're doing now, Doak made a new company whose name escapes me with Ellis (I think?), while Norgate remains at Crytek UK. Dunno about Hilton.
what is zoonami doing anyway after the superb gamezero (bonsai barber :lol )

watkinzez

farnham said:
what is zoonami doing anyway after the superb gamezero (bonsai barber :lol )

I think Hollis got rich helping develop the Gamecube in the late 90s, because he seems to do whatever he damn well wants without going out of business. Cheers to that sentiment!

watkinzez said:

Pumpkin Beach IIRC.

Hopefully Activision/Eurocom actually had the sense to approach Martin Hollis at least as an consultant or adviser.

Top Bottom