• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] PS4 beta firmware 2.50 allows DualShock 4 button remapping

Robcat

Banned
This could be great for games that refuse to put button mapping in games. Hopefully there are game specific profiles.

bombshell

This is also great for people with disabilities who might have trouble pressing or reaching particular buttons.

What would make this amazing, is if you could have a custom profile for each particular game.

Yeah. I'm guessing it's the primary intended use for this feature, because it's categorized under Accessibility.

I've been yelling about this for...8 years or so. Glad to see it finally happening!

edit: would be cool to have it save on a game-by-game basis, plus a 'master' default setting.

meppi

That's not a problem, because a game's code doesn't say X or O, it says something like [confirm button], and then checks where the console is from. It's been that way at least since PS3.

Not in certain games though. Gundam Breaker 2 for instance has certain options that use O for confirm while the storefront uses X when playing on a western PS3/Vita. :-/

With the revelation that Vita at the moment can't do remote play following the new firmware, I think that means one of three things A: There will be a new Vita firmware that allows it to do remote play at 60FPS, B: There will be a new Vita firmware that keeps the status quo, or C: As with some other Vita functionality recently, Sony is killing remote play on Vita. I hope for A, think B would be fine, but would hate C.

Also, for me the only things left that I want to see are folders, MP3 playback, and external hard drive support. I'd also like to see DLNA support and support for other various types of audio/video for those that would use them. I personally wouldn't have much of a need for DLNA as my PS4 is connected to the same TV as my computer, but that would be selfish of me to not want DLNA in the PS4 because of that. This would require be on Bluetooth to figure it out, but I would also like to see Bluetooth up their maximum limit for connected devices. Right now it's seven. That's why you could connect seven controllers on PS3. However, on PS4, Sony limited that to four. If Bluetooth went to eight, we could have eight player couch games on PS4 like XB1 and Wii-U.

Wow, this is pretty dope. There's definitely a few games I've played in which I wished I could change things around. Also, great news for people with disabilities.

This is a feature I will never use.

It's also one of the most important features and updates that I can imagine. If it makes it possible for people with disabilities to enjoy the games more, then what an absolutely fantastic update. Everyone else being able to map buttons is just gravy.

iceatcs

wow quite unusual console feature.
I'm wondering about in-game button prompts, will these also change too?

If not, QTE will be nightmare lol, but you can always put some stickers (or swap by mods) on the pad.

Anth0ny

This is fantastic if true.

Being able to map any button to anything should be a system level feature for every console.

DieH@rd

Banned
wow quite unusual features.
I wondering about in-game button prompts, will these also change too?

If not, QTE will be nightmare lol.

This feature is firstly intended to be used by people with disabilities. They will be quite happy that they can remap buttons so that they can finally SUCCEED at QTEs.

DieH@rd

Banned
Remote play has been saved.

Not quite. Yes, we can change what buttons we will push, but we can't prevent MGS5 to put 4 buttons on the back of the Vita.

We need tool that will remap REMOTE PLAY buttons, a way that we can move all back buttons to the edges of the front screen.

RangerBAD

Seems like a simple feature that will be hugely helpful.

Big news for people with disabilities too.

For me they need to get rid of pressure sensitivity (if any PS4 games take advantage of it or if DS4 even has it). I want that on the PS3 too.

DieH@rd

Banned
For me they need to get rid of pressure sensitivity (if any PS4 games take advantage of it or if DS4 even has it). I want that on the PS3 too.

PS4 has pressure sensitivity only on L2/R2 buttons. Almost no devs ever used pressure sensitive face buttons.

davitpr

HOLY CRAP IF TRUE. THANK YOU LORD!

thank-you-o.gif

iceatcs

This feature is firstly intended to be used by people with disabilities. They will be quite happy that they can remap buttons so that they can finally SUCCEED at QTEs.

Heh, Yeah it is also one of my thought after I remember saw the video on gamers with disabilities had their own custom made controller. But it is win-win for anyone really since it is option. Some might not like use the trigger for shooting.

I probably won't use it because then the button prompts don't match up it would confuse me, but more options is ALWAYS better

I hope people don't get too excited for this. Has anyone with th beta confirmed this remapping functionality works as people are hoping it does?

bombshell

I probably won't use it because then the button prompts don't match up it would confuse me, but more options is ALWAYS better

I think that games releasing after this update will be able to make API calls to determine the OS button mappings and use correct button prompts.

Skux

What astounds me is that the technology to do this would have existed since the PS1 days. That's 20 years of people wishing they could remap buttons at the OS level.

What if you swap L2 for L1 or R2 for R1 and the game originally measures how hard you press one of the triggers?

I am guessing it will just register as no force or full force.

So for racing games you'd have no acceleration control.

What astounds me is that the technology to do this would have existed since the PS1 days. That's 20 years of people wishing they could remap buttons at the OS level.

Makes the 9 year wait for changing our PSN names seem like nothing :p

Top Bottom