• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] PS4 beta firmware 2.50 allows DualShock 4 button remapping

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
If you change the button configuration for any game, then this is easily the best feature thus far. Every game should have a default control configuration and a custom one. Now, I can finally switch the L3 button which makes the character run in a lot of games to R3 so I don't run half the time when I don't want to.

On a related note, in that picture that says button configuration, it says "zooming" before it. Anyone know what this will do? Any chance it zooms in the screen to eliminate the black bars in games?

Possiibly, though I have a feeling devs can choose to block button remapping just like they can do with recording certain pieces of a game.

Since this is an accessibility option I don't think Sony will allow that.

Would be like blocking off a wheelchair entrance to a building because you don't want people using it.

FranXico

SharePlay at 60 frames per second.

dont-believe-you.gif

If you change the button configuration for any game, then this is easily the best feature thus far. Every game should have a default control configuration and a custom one. Now, I can finally switch the L3 button which makes the character run in a lot of games to R3 so I don't run half the time when I don't want to.

On a related note, in that picture that says button configuration, it says "zooming" before it. Anyone know what this will do? Any chance it zooms in the screen to eliminate the black bars in games?

typically, Accessibility options means users with disabilities will have a better experience. I assume the zoom function will only work on the XMB and browser.

Raonak

Banned
Gigaton.

man, 2.5 seems like a great update, suspend resume, remapping, delete trophies, 60fps, and being able to search up trophy details directly :O

Risette

A Good Citizen
i wonder if there'll be any way to disable the touchpad. forced touchpad features (like in gta5) are really annoying since i have to use one hand and i accidentally hit them a lot.

Since this is an accessibility option I don't think Sony will allow that.

Would be like blocking off a wheelchair entrance to a building because you don't want people using it.

I see. Makes sense.

In that case, the real megaton would be mapping a button to a certain touchpad gesture that you can configure yourself, like drawing your secondary weapon by swiping up instead of triangle. As an example.

MavFan619

Banned
Pretty cool. Now it just needs some way to have per-game mappings that load up whenever you enter a specific game.
If it's not included with this I would hope you can press options over each individual game in the main menu and let you configure from there.

This would be absolutely amazing!

The thought of being able to control the camera while sprinting in Bloodborne (without using an uncomfortable/painful claw grip) excites me. I think I'll get a lot of use out of this.

fsckit

Neo Member
Current features of fw2.50 present in changelog:
  • The system can now enter rest mode without closing any applications.

Is it just me or doesn't this sound pretty similar to Suspend & Resume functionality? Rest mode without closing any applications...

Also 2.50 is a pretty major version number jump from the current release.

cripterion

OMG, does this mean I can I finally remap my confirm button O on my japanese PS4 to X?!
Actually scrapped that, got some used to validating with O I'll just modify every game to use it. Same for Euro PS3 lol since It's just there for Ryu Ga Gotoku games.

What astounds me is that the technology to do this would have existed since the PS1 days. That's 20 years of people wishing they could remap buttons at the OS level.

I don't think consoles had OS's running in the background until the PS3/360 era

I don't know if it's confirmed yet, but even if it is fake I'm pretty sure Sony have seen that this would be a pretty welcome feature.

Nameless

You'll never hear me say more options is a bad thing, but I can't see myself using this outside of the rare event a game I buy has a shitty control scheme that can't be rectified via in game settings. Definitely nowhere near a Megaton or a Game Changer for me personally. Still pretty cool.

Macheezmo

Wow. I didn't even know I needed this feature, but holy crap I need it! Well done Sony! Will be even bigger if you can set these on a per game basis.

jts

...hate me...
This is great.

What I really want though, is to be able to use the Vita as a screen, and the DS4 as a controller. Even if it's just within PS4's range (meaning the DS4 directly connected to the PS4).

Top Bottom