• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PSN+ premium service details

cRIPticon said:
It would require more resources because they would be pushing more patches than users would normally pull. And voice would be server side as well. 360 is P2P across the board, PSN is, for the most part, client/server.
I'm pretty sure they already have the server resources to patch the games that people have paid for, that's built into the cost of the games or ought to be.

Currently PS2 voice chat (outside of games) is P2P, I believe. I see no reason why that'd change for the in-game version.

Wasn't XBL $9.99 a month when 1-month cards were available?

It may be $9.99 per individual month, but I'm sure it'd be cheaper when bought in bulk, like most other subscriptions.

The only thing that I think is crap here is that they seem to be making you pay for services that theoretically cost almost nothing to support (cross game voice chat - it shouldn't cost you anything to transfer audio information to a friend via your own bandwidth). This is the same issue with MS charging for P2P online play.

Plus, it totally splits the userbase.

Suzzopher said:
They don't? Has anyone told all those developers slaving away on online multiplayer games? Has anyone told their families that they are working hours and hours of overtime for nothing?

highluxury said:
What, I dont even

Problem is, that people like you two think GAF represents the whole world.

Guess what, we don't.

If online gaming really was at the level you guys believe it is, I'd bet Nintendo would probably take it more seriously. The fact that they don't and yet their console is kicking ass suggests I have more chance of being right than you do.

Like I said, I know a tonne of PS3 owners, and barely any of them play online despite the fact that it's free. Further to that, many of them haven't veen bothered to connect them to the net at all.

Anecdotal though it may be, I'm still surprised by the number of people I know who own PS3s and don't even bother with online.

Think about how many games out there have online play and aren't being played at all. TONNES of them. Not every game is Call of Duty or Halo that get played for years with massive dedicated fanbases.

MOST games with online play are like the Club. Yeah, fun online, but no one plays it after a month or two after release.

Suzzopher

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Some rubbish about online gaming and people he knows who don't use it.

You're an idiot. If there was no market for online games on consoles there would be little interest from publishers. Nintendo's audience are a different beast. They buy maybe two games a year(If we're throwing generalisations out there), 360 and PS3 gamers are interested in online, I am basing this on the large number of friends I have who aren't that into gaming yet still play online with their 360 or PS3.

I honestly can't believe you think console gamers aren't interested in online gaming:lol

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Guess what, we don't.

If online gaming really was at the level you guys believe it is, I'd bet Nintendo would probably take it more seriously. The fact that they don't and yet their console is kicking ass suggests I have more chance of being right than you do.

Like I said, I know a tonne of PS3 owners, and barely any of them play online despite the fact that it's free. Further to that, many of them haven't veen bothered to connect them to the net at all.

Anecdotal though it may be, I'm still surprised by the number of people I know who own PS3s and don't even bother with online.

Think about how many games out there have online play and aren't being played at all. TONNES of them. Not every game is Call of Duty or Halo that get played for years with massive dedicated fanbases.

MOST games with online play are like the Club. Yeah, fun online, but no one plays it after a month or two after release.
This isn't a comparison of the popularity of online gaming vs. online voice chat.

RobbieNick

- Exclusive access to cross-game chat
- Access to auto/background patching of games
-$9.99 per month.

244tr7k.gif

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Guess what, we don't.

I said wow.

Jesus, am I the only one who didn't even realize that Sony still hadn't added cross-game chat? We're almost halfway through 2010 for fuck's sake.

Meier

Shit, I better buy an XBL 12-monther or two. If PSN goes monthly, you KNOW that MS will follow suit and I can't live without XBL..

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Jesus, am I the only one who didn't even realize that Sony still hadn't added cross-game chat? We're almost halfway through 2010 for fuck's sake.

Obviously it's harder than anyone thought or MS has a patent on it. One of the two.

Meier said:
Shit, I better buy an XBL 12-monther or two. If PSN goes monthly, you KNOW that MS will follow suit and I can't live without XBL..

You can already buy XBL by the month. Or 3 months.

patsu said:
What it lacks is cross game talking, which I personally find highly distracting -- especially for SP games. I don't need it. I need a common party system more.

It can come in handy. Just last night I was playing Tecmo Bowl and a friend sent me a chat invite cause he couldn't get the Liar's Dice achievement in RDR. So I just paused told him how to do it while he was still sitting at the dice table in RDR and we ended the chat. That happens a lot actually. Oh, and he finally got his achievement.

patsu

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Guess what, we don't.

I think you may have misunderstood. PS3 does allow video chat, audio chat and text chat for free. You can also chat in-game (Most MP games already do that today).

If all you want to do is chat and play games *or* chat and don't play games, you should have plenty of options to do so.

What it lacks is cross game talking, which I personally find highly distracting -- especially for SP games. I don't need it. I need a common party system more.

Suzzopher said:
You're an idiot. If there was no market for online games on consoles there would be little interest from publishers. Nintendo's audience are a different beast. They buy maybe two games a year(If we're throwing generalisations out there), 360 and PS3 gamers are interested in online, I am basing this on the large number of friends I have who aren't that into gaming yet still play online with their 360 or PS3.

I honestly can't believe you think console gamers aren't interested in online gaming:lol

Please highlight for me where I said there is NO market for online gaming.

I'm interested to know.

patsu said:
I think you may have misunderstood. PS3 does allow video chat, audio chat and text chat for free. You can also chat in-game for free (Most MP games already do that today).

If all you want to do is chat and play games *or* chat and don't play games, you should have plenty of options to do so.

I know, I own a PS3 (2 of them actually). The gist of wehat I was getting at, was that cross game chat is something less likely to be paid for than online play.

Cross game chat just seems like something should just...BE there. But online play is something that is used less than people realise as far as a %age of the total population of console owners, so I can SEE why the decision was made to make players pay for THAT part.

Personally, paying for ANY of this shit is bullshit, but what I was getting at was that if you had to pick ONE to pay for, it would be online play. I chat to friends far more than I play online, and I own a tonne of games that have online play. So for every person that has a cry over being 'forced' to play for online play, there'd be at LEAST a person to match them that would cry over being 'forced' to pay for cross game chat.

Hence why I said it's bullshit that we pay for ANY of it.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Guess what, we don't.

HI
LA
RI
OUS

I cant believe youre comparing a feature/function to a complete service.

cRIPticon

badcrumble said:
I'm pretty sure they already have the server resources to patch the games that people have paid for, that's built into the cost of the games or ought to be.

Currently PS2 voice chat (outside of games) is P2P, I believe. I see no reason why that'd change for the in-game version.

1) It is not. It is a sizing percentage of typical use + spares for spikes. It is the way all web/connected infrastructure is sized. If they are going to be pushing content out, whenever anyone with the service connects to it with patchable content, you had better believe there will be additional resources required.

2) PS2 /= PS3 with PSN. Also, it's not in game chat, it is cross-game chat.

see5harp

OldJadedGamer said:
Obviously it's harder than anyone thought or MS has a patent on it. One of the two.

I think it's more of a case of getting the thing to work properly when you have a huge backlog of games that need to work universally with a new feature. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if PS3 gamers never got the feature. It certainly seems like a lot have convinced themselves it isn't worth worrying about anymore.

cRIPticon said:
1) It is not. It is a sizing percentage of typical use + spares for spikes. It is the way all web/connected infrastructure is sized. If they are going to be pushing content out, whenever anyone with the service connects to it with patchable content, you had better believe there will be additional resources required.

2) PS2 /= PS3 with PSN. Also, it's not in game chat, it is cross-game chat.
Sorry, typo on my part for the first pit, pedantry on your part for the second.

PS3 voice/video chat is P2P, I'm pretty certain, and that's what I meant.

cRIPticon

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Please highlight for me where I said there is NO market for online gaming.

I'm interested to know.

I know, I own a PS3 (2 of them actually). The gist of wehat I was getting at, was that cross game chat is something less likely to be paid for than online play.

Cross game chat just seems like something should just...BE there. But online play is something that is used less than people realise as far as a %age of the total population of console owners, so I can SEE why the decision was made to make players pay for THAT part.

Personally, paying for ANY of this shit is bullshit, but what I was getting at was that if you had to pick ONE to pay for, it would be online play. I chat to friends far more than I play online, and I own a tonne of games that have online play. So for every person that has a cry over being 'forced' to play for online play, there'd be at LEAST a person to match them that would cry over being 'forced' to pay for cross game chat.

Hence why I said it's bullshit that we pay for ANY of it.

Games are too expensive, services are too expensive, etc. and companies should just give all of it away. After all, how complicated/expensive is it to build and operate these services anyway? You're right. It should all be free....

cRIPticon said:
Games are too expensive, services are too expensive, etc. and companies should just give all of it away. After all, how complicated/expensive is it to build and operate these services anyway? You're right. It should all be free....

I'm not saying this stuff doesn't cost money to set up, and run, Microsoft spent a fuckload of money setting up the Live infrastructure, no doubt, but surely there are ways to offset the cost of giving it away.

I mean, it's not like they don't get a slice of the profits from DLC. And you can bet that if people weren't paying per year for Live, they'd naturally spend more on DLC.

patsu

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Cross game chat just seems like something should just...BE there.

Does Wii Speak allow cross game chat ? If Nintendo doesn't support Cross Game voice chat at all, then based on your own argument, no one or few people need it.

On top of that, if Nintendo sells online games like Animal Crossing with voice chat, then according to you, it would mean that more people play online games than do cross game voice chat.

cRIPticon

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I'm not saying this stuff doesn't cost money to set up, and run, Microsoft spent a fuckload of money setting up the Live infrastructure, no doubt, but surely there are ways to offset the cost of giving it away.

I mean, it's not like they don't get a slice of the profits from DLC. And you can bet that if people weren't paying per year for Live, they'd naturally spend more on DLC.

And Microsoft is still digging out from their investment. Profitability now does not mean that they have recouped their investment. And you pay them $50 a year as well and they make $$$ off of advertising in their dashboard. Offsetting the cost sometimes means having to charge the users something for it.

The reality is that we don't know what the service will cost yet. I agree that $10 per month is too much, but we'll know more when we hear it from Sony at E3.

vgachi57

i dunno about paying $10 a month but if they offer free dlc or discounts i might consider it. i hate xbl because i don't play online multiplayer enough to justify a gold membership.

mr stroke

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Guess what, we don't.

WOW
Steam
Xbox Live
Farmville
PSN
:lol

Xater

Wow if discounts and cross-game chat are premium. F U Sony.

Also paying 10 bucks a month? LOL never. I'll stick to my gimped free service then.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Guess what, we don't.

You should not drink and post.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If I remember earlier reports right, the PlayStation Protection Plan is only available if your system's still under warranty. Is that still the case?

Epcott

$120 a year? :lol

As expected from a company that launched a console at $599 and expected it to be competitively priced.

I love cloud saving and cross chat, but not for that much. Just when I think they're doing things right to get in touch with gamers, they do something to kick themselves in the ass (errr, if this price is true)

Redd

I doubt it's gonna be $120 a year, maybe less than half that. Peer pressure can be a bitch and I see alot of people paying for the premium with enough time. Be cool if all that stuff was free though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Epcott said:
$120 a year? :lol

$10/month does not necessarily imply $120/year.

See: Live's monthly/annual pricing.

No offense to you specifically, but the running assumption in the thread that the annual cost would be the monthly by 12 is a little silly.

gofreak said:
$10/month does not necessarily imply $120/year.

See: Live's monthly/annual pricing.

No offense to you specifically, but the running assumption in the thread that the annual cost would be the monthly by 12 is a little silly.
That kind of well thought out logic has never stopped anyone in threads about lxbl

see5harp said:
I think it's more of a case of getting the thing to work properly when you have a huge backlog of games that need to work universally with a new feature. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if PS3 gamers never got the feature. It certainly seems like a lot have convinced themselves it isn't worth worrying about anymore.

It doesn't have to support all older games. Trophies don't.

Pctx

Banned
I laugh at people who want Live features on PSN.
I laugh at people who want PSN features on Live.
I laugh at people who think Live or PSN have good features.

jedimike

fortified_concept said:
It's funny how some console warriors are desperately trying to use this as an argument to make Xbox Live look good. I will not use this premium shit and I can still comfortably play online on my PS3 and that's what counts for the vast majority of gamers. Can't say the same for Xbox Live which I'm not using because I refuse to pay for P2P gaming.

You do know that MS has thousands of servers to support XBL don't you? Just because it is P2P doesn't mean it is free. It takes a huge infrastructure to support millions of users.

MS smartly incorporated a service fee from the beginning. Sony is feeling the financial burden of their network structure and is now trying to get the user to pay. They need a huge carrot to dangle in front of the user because they already give away the important part... online play.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
elrechazao said:
That kind of well thought out logic has never stopped anyone in threads about lxbl

I think Live's cost is generally pitted and accepted as $50/year. Not $96/year (it's 'monthly by 12' cost). I didn't even know what Live's official monthly cost was prior to this thread...if that's any reflection of the 'airtime' it gets.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Pctx said:
I shake my head at this post.

jedimike said:
MS smartly incorporated a service fee from the beginning. Sony is feeling the financial burden of their network structure and is now trying to get the user to pay. They need a huge carrot to dangle in front of the user because they already give away the important part... online play.

Sony has a rough uphill battle trying to convince people to buy the cow when they are giving the milk away for free.

Dabanton

Pctx said:

You seem to do a lot of laughing.

Top Bottom