• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PSN+ premium service details

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Funny, people still come in here with the old "But at least we don't pay to play online".

Fact is, not THAT many people actually play online games these days on consoles.

I'm going to bet that FAR more people would want cross game chat to be free than the ability to play against others online.

I know plenty of people who never play online, don't want to, or cant be bothered both on Xbox AND PS3, and yet it's free on PS3. But the Xbox owners love still being able to talk to mates online if they want to.

The advantage to the Silver Xbox membership is that people who don't give a fuck about playing online (which is more than likely the majority) can still do basically everything else that Playstation owners will now have to pay for.

Different perpectives and all that.

:lol You've become delusional.

A.R.K

Looks fine to me except the fucking $9.99/month...thats a big NO NO. Should be $50/year or something like that. No one will pay $120/year for this. For most the free PSN should be good enough IMO.

Somnia

For everyone complaining about 9.99 a month...you do realize there will probably be a $50 or $60 year option right? That's just common sense...well I hope so at least.

Zutroy

So what features could Sony add that would make it work $10 a month?

Which of these would change your mind (taking some from the survey and making some up)

#Music service
Something similar to Spotify? That alone is like $10/month. Huge catalogue of music that you can stream in the background while playing a game. Maybe could be a company wide thing where you could share playlists between Ericsson phones/walkmans/PSP and store them for offline play.

#Unlimited video rentals
Unlimited rentals from the PSN store. Maybe Sony would want to take Netflix on to get the PS3 at the heart of the living room?

#TV catchup
Integrating a Hulu app in the XMB. Though I'm sure most would not like this since you could watch it free online.

#Loyalty program
Buying games gives you points, winning special tournaments for their biggest games or convert trophies to points. Collect so many and get free stuff like exclusive Playstation branded gear, or a greatest hits games.

What other things could Sony offer that would make you pay the money that you wouldn't for Live, or move you away from Live?

P.S. I would love if PS2 emulation was a PSN+ exclusive, simply because it would be the greatest meltdown of the decade! :lol

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I'm not going to pay if true (even if the price is reasonable). I barely play my PS3 online.

Also... this shit:
- Exclusive in-game DLC
Would be so fucked up.

BobsRevenge said:
I'm not going to pay if true (even if the price is reasonable). I barely play my PS3 online.

I can't think of any online feature I would pay for at all. I only care about gaming online with my friends. Since that is free, there is nothing else to pay for. Even if they put all kinds of ads on the XMB I would just disconnect it fully from the network and play offline.

cRIPticon

OldJadedGamer said:
I can't think of any online feature I would pay for at all. I only care about gaming online with my friends. Since that is free, there is nothing else to pay for. Even if they put all kinds of ads on the XMB I would just disconnect it fully from the network and play offline.

Or just ignore them and play your games?

Kogepan

NIN90 said:
Wow 9.99$ a month.

so don't pay for it.

I dont see anything on that list I would want, so no skin off my back. I'm satisfied with the current features they have for free.

As for the xbots and their precious 'cross-game' chat....SRSLY??? I mean its a nice feature but its certainly not a deal breaker by any means. In my case, most of my friends have the PS3 cam, so we VIDEO chat all the time, and thats free...

cRIPticon said:

If I'm not going to be playing online then disconnecting it from the network would not allow any ad to load in the first place. Plus, I wont' get annoyed by small firmware updates as a side bonus.

BobsRevenge

cRIPticon said:
Having ads on a system you paid at least a couple hundred for is kind of fucked up, isn't it? Who pays that kind of money to get advertised to? There is no class there. It is entirely tacky.

Smokey

Kogepan said:
so don't pay for it.

I dont see anything on that list I would want, so no skin off my back. I'm satisfied with the current features they have for free.

As for the xbots and their precious 'cross-game' chat....SRSLY??? I mean its a nice feature but its certainly not a deal breaker by any means. In my case, most of my friends have the PS3 cam, so we VIDEO chat all the time, and thats free...

isn't that kind of awkward..?

garrickk

major_killjoy said:
Yeh, that's a lotta swedish fish.
Oh man, swedish fish are delicious. But it pisses me off that 90% of the time you find them, get excited, it's only the red ones. Orange are the best, but yellow and green have their purpose.

$10 a month does seem a little steep. I have no problem paying for Xbox Live as it comes out to be about $3.50 a month, not exactly breaking the bank: something tells me the PSN+ price will end up in the same ballpark.

cRIPticon

BobsRevenge said:
Having ads on a system you paid at least a couple hundred for is kind of fucked up, isn't it? Who pays that kind of money to get advertised to? There is no class there. It is entirely tacky.

Do you pay for ANY television service at all? Any? How about magazines? Or go to the movies? How about paying for public transportation? Mobile games? In-game advertising? You pay to be advertised to all the time....

If you don't see the XMB ads while you are playing, what's the problem?

jmd494

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I'm going to bet that FAR more people would want cross game chat to be free than the ability to play against others online.

Huh? Without gaming, free cross game chat is a bit like a free conference call service...except you can only call people with PS3s...and everyone has to be on their couches during a call...and they have to turn on their PS3s...and TVs...and Bluetooth headsets to use it.

Shambles

Paid cross game chat :lol PC wins again

It's surprising how I've come from being absolutely console centric at the start of this console generation and have shifted so fundamentally back to PCs. After GT5 hits the shelves there's nothing on the horizon that i'm looking for to add to my 'comfy couch' collection.

Chrange

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
I paid over two grand for my TV and it's got ads on it all the time. Come to think of it, the satellite radio in my $38,000 vehicle has ads on it too! HAVE THEY NO SHAME?

BobsRevenge

cRIPticon said:
Do you pay for ANY television service at all? Any? How about magazines? Or go to the movies? How about paying for public transportation? Mobile games? In-game advertising? You pay to be advertised to all the time....

If you don't see the XMB ads while you are playing, what's the problem?
None of those things are nearly as expensive as a PS3.

And it's tacky in all of those things. It's just that when you spend more you tend to expect more class, and the PS3 has always been a relatively classy product.

cRIPticon

BobsRevenge said:

And it's tacky in all of those things. It's just that when you spend more you tend to expect more class, and the PS3 has always been a relatively classy product.

Completely agree that the PS3 is classy. I will say that my FiOS bill every month...well...I could buy 6-7 PS3's every year with what I pay. :lol

So long as it does not detract (ProTip: Don't copy XNE) from the experience, I say let them advertise.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Honestly, doesn't seem that bad. I mean, it's not exactly something absolutely needed so it hits that sweet spot for people who really want it all and are willing to pay for it.

I guess rumor means fact here at gaf... Anyways, IF true, 10 a month might be too pricey but I'm sure theyll have a one time fee as well, cross chat should be free everything else Id pay for if priced well enuff, protection plan? Cloud saving? Free psn games? Hr long demos? Sounds real good. Ppl want it priced the same as xbl but xbl don't give u shit fo free!!! Naturally it's gunna be more look what try give u, minus patching and x chat. 70 a year will prolly b the price watch.

Chrange

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Are you actually this stupid
lol - it's not equally 'stupid' to say that there should be no ads on PSN or Xbox Live (when they're almost entirely ads for stuff available ON THE SERVICE) because you paid for it? You pay for TV and there's ads. You pay to go to a movie and there's ads.

Gamers have such a bloated sense of entitlement lol

BobsRevenge said:

If you're not online, you get no ads. You're not talking about the PS3, you're talking about the PSN SERVICE - and at 'free' at least for the time being, that's far less expensive than TV or satellite radio.

Cruzader

Banned
jedimike said:
You do know that MS has thousands of servers to support XBL don't you? Just because it is P2P doesn't mean it is free. It takes a huge infrastructure to support millions of users.

MS smartly incorporated a service fee from the beginning. Sony is feeling the financial burden of their network structure and is now trying to get the user to pay. They need a huge carrot to dangle in front of the user because they already give away the important part... online play.
So paying for playing online is now being justified??? :lol :lol :lol

I hope people dont try to spin things just to defend their console of choice. Online play should be free, specially if servers are P2P. Gamers shouldnt worry about what corporations have to do since we payed a pretty penny for the machines and games already.

Also free online > cross game chat.

Cruzader said:

I hope people dont try to spin things just to defend their console of choice. Online play should be free, specially if servers are P2P. Gamers shouldnt worry about what corporations have to do since we payed a pretty penny for the machines and games already.

Yeah, some people keep forgetting that part for some reason :lol

cRIPticon

Cruzader said:

Fine. Explain. Please break down for us how this should happen, where the money should come from to get the infrastructure in place, supported, and growing. Please detail the $$$ and show your work.

And please tell us what percentage of the games and console revenues should go to paying for these servers, services, personnel, developers and continuing development.

good thing they leaked this stuff early themselves to gauge everyone's reactions... :lol

custom soundtracks will stay free, as it's already built into the SDK for developers to add in at their discretion. sony already said that IF THEY WERE to introduce i higher tier PSN that it would have to add value and features, not take existing features and put a price on them.

also, how many times has this exact same rumor sprung up? im not saying it won't happen, but didn't we have this EXACT same list a handful of months back?

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
The arrival of Steam on Mac makes it even easier to laugh at this kind of crap. MS and Sony are driving me to PC games for the first time in my life. I can't wait until it's time to upgrade my laptop. :D

Chrange said:
I paid over two grand for my TV and it's got ads on it all the time. Come to think of it, the satellite radio in my $38,000 vehicle has ads on it too! HAVE THEY NO SHAME?

30ieykh.jpg

CRD90 said:
So what features could Sony add that would make it work $10 a month?

Which of these would change your mind (taking some from the survey and making some up)

#TV catchup
Integrating a Hulu app in the XMB. Though I'm sure most would not like this since you could watch it free online.
l

This is the only thing that would make me consider paying. I want Hulu on my TV so bad, it is scary. But that price makes me want to say fuck that noise.

Meier

OldJadedGamer said:
You can already buy XBL by the month. Or 3 months.
My point was that if Sony has success charging people a recurring monthly subscription rate, MS will have no reason to charge people a yearly one that is heavily discounted. They'd likely follow suit I'd imagine. They give up a ton of money by selling in year batches.

:lol

I refuse to pay more than $30 a year for XBL, and considering how often I actually *use* it? I've considered letting it lapse.

Offering me nothing special for $120 a year? Good luck with that business model, Jack.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
corrosivefrost said:
9.99 per month.
12 months in 1 year.

$9.99 x 12 = $119.88 (+tax?) for a year.
Lets apply that logic to XBL 1 Month pricing:
$7.90 x 12 = $94.8

Do you pay that much for a year of Live now?

Maximus.

I have no problem with Lives subscription price, but 10 bucks a month for a few extra features seems a tad steep imo.

Top Bottom