• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PSN+ premium service details

Johnanderson said:
did you even read the news?
I did read the news. It says they will still offer free PSN alongside of the paid version. Thing is, I'm afraid that they will slowly gimp the free PSN to make the paid PSN more attractable. It's possible that they could not dig that hole, and I wouldn't want them to. If free PSN actually does stay the same according to that article, then I'm okay.

krae_man

Looks like Sony is going down the same road that didn't work.

Whatever PSN+ is it needs to be equally priced or cheaper then XBOX. PSN+ needs to be "More value then Xbox Live Gold but the same price or less".

"It costs more, but its worth it" didn't work to well for the $599 PS3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That's not really news. Sony execs have been mooting a subscription service, with the same kind of wording House uses, for months. His comments don't really add anything.

krae_man said:
Looks like Sony is going down the same road that didn't work.

Whatever PSN+ is it needs to be equally priced or cheaper then XBOX. PSN+ needs to be "More value then Xbox Live Gold but the same price or less".

Online gaming is still going to be free for non-paying users, isn't it?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I hope we can pay less and get only the "online backup for save datas" since that's the only feature I care about.
$120 per yr = not happening

Galvanise_ said:
Nope. Stop being an arse. It has been rumoured to be going up for a while.

No, it really hasn't. In fact, if you review the history of "rumors" about XBL's price on this site over the last few years, you'd see quite a few examples of rumored price drops compared to almost nothing suggesting a price hike was in the offing. (And the way the service has been constantly discounted, with $40 cards available basically always, $30-35 cards available intermittently, and Microsoft themselves constantly doing different discount promotions if you buy from them directly, the idea that they're looking to jack up the price makes even less sense.)

So, basically, don't say bullshit.

charlequin said:
No, it really hasn't. In fact, if you review the history of "rumors" about XBL's price on this site over the last few years, you'd see quite a few examples of rumored price drops compared to almost nothing suggesting a price hike was in the offing. (And the way the service has been constantly discounted, with $40 cards available basically always, $30-35 cards available intermittently, and Microsoft themselves constantly doing different discount promotions if you buy from them directly, the idea that they're looking to jack up the price makes even less sense.)

So, basically, don't say bullshit.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=225639

makingmusic476 said:
Well yeah, but the guy was ripping into the other guy claiming he was making up BS about rumors. Sure, the rumor stems from Pachter, but the rumor did exist.

As stumpokapow so ably explained earlier in the thread, Pachter mentioning some random bullshit that he "thinks" will happen with no evidence behind it is not a rumor, it's wild and baseless speculation. Don't be like shitty journalists who wait for people to make up bullshit so they can report it as "rumors."

Chrange

Banned
makingmusic476 said:
Well yeah, but the guy was ripping into the other guy claiming he was making up BS about rumors. Sure, the rumor stems from Pachter, but the rumor did exist.
A rumor comes from someone claiming to have a source of some kind. Pachter was clearly, and admittedly, just speculating. You can't create a rumor from speculation and credit the speculation, because it makes the rumor look ridiculous. I'd believe "an anonymous source" more than Pachter's musing about what might be.

shagg_187 said:
IT HAS BEGUN!

We all know that its been coming as there have been several statements to media by Kaz and Sir Howard about it. The real question remains when, for how much and whats included.

Looks like they are going to reveal it during E3 hopefully its not a rip-off.

SuperSonic1305 said:
500 posts later and people are still acting like this is an official announcement.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...ium-PSN-Service-Details-Coming-Very-Soon.html

Pretty close to it.

Cross game chat is free on XBL last time I checked (party chat is not). If that turns out to be true that you have to pay for that, I'd imagine a huge backlash.

Color me surprised that this wasn't already a standard feature, as a future PS3 owner I will be pretty pissed as well to charge for a feature should have been there day 1 for free.

I submitted a "Make Cross Game Voice Chat Free" idea to to PlayStation Share. It's a rather useless feature if not. It splinters the community, making the feature borderline useless, and it gives people little reason to pay for it given it's borderline useless. I imagine less than a tenth of my friends list paying for this service.

I've submitted an idea like this before, but the evil moderators never approved it. I'm hoping they didn't approve it last time simply because it was too close to the regular XGVC idea, thus they considered it a dupe. I've worded this one better to make it more distinct from the original idea, so we'll see how it goes.

If this one never gets posted, they're probably purging them on purpose. :lol

Honestly, the mods on PS Share suck. I submit ideas like cataloging our PSN purchases ala Steam (having the XMB specify which games/themes/videos are currently downloaded and installed, letting us redownload and install games/etc. straight from the XMB, etc.) and it never gets approved, meanwhile they let people post tons of retarded ideas like "Halo for PS3!" I've had only one idea approved thus far, asking for XMB access at all times.

Stumpokapow said:
That's not a rumour.
Yes, I now know this. =/

tzare

Arpharmd B said:
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...ium-PSN-Service-Details-Coming-Very-Soon.html

Pretty close to it.

Cross game chat is free on XBL last time I checked (party chat is not). If that turns out to be true that you have to pay for that, I'd imagine a huge backlash.

Color me surprised that this wasn't already a standard feature, as a future PS3 owner I will be pretty pissed as well to charge for a feature should have been there day 1 for free.

Online gameplay is free on PSN, you have to pay for it on 360. Is that a huge backlash? That should have been always free. The main reason to own a console is to play. That goes first. The extra features are welcome. I'd love to have cross game chat on PS3, but if i have to choose from free cross game chat and payed online gameplay, or free online and payed cross game chat, i'd take the second without hesitating.

Norml

Could they make it so a buyer is able to start a chat with anyone, but not paying users can't start chats.That would be a decent method I think.

tzare said:
I'd love to have cross game chat on PS3, but if i have to choose from free cross game chat and payed online gameplay, or free online and payed cross game chat, i'd take the second without hesitating.

And lots of us will take a paid, non-irritating service over an irritating free one.

I think some people don't realize just how frustrating many of us find PSN compared to Live. I'll happily pay Microsoft less than 3 bucks a month in order to not be so damned frustrated.

belvedere

Junior Butler
beermonkey@tehbias said:
And lots of us will take a paid, non-irritating service over an irritating free one.

I think some people don't realize just how frustrating many of us find PSN compared to Live. I'll happily pay Microsoft less than 3 bucks a month in order to not be so damned frustrated.

I agree, but that coin has two sides. I think it's foolish to pay for interface functionality, but I also think it's foolish to pay for a P2P service. Live certainly makes the experience more seamless, but I still can't helped but feel burned by basically paying for my internet service twice.

Malio

$10/month is seriously steep for those rather weak features. Hopefully that rumor turns out to be false for PS3 owners.

Malio

belvedere said:
I agree, but that coin has two sides. I think it's foolish to pay for interface functionality, but I also think it's foolish to pay for a P2P service. Live certainly makes the experience more seamless, but I still can't helped but feel burned by basically paying for my internet service twice.

PC gaming 4TW. Eff M$ and $ony.

belvedere said:
I think it's foolish to pay for interface functionality

I think it's extremely foolish to not be willing to pay for something you enjoy regardless of the techical details of how it is implemented or how much profit somebody is making. Everything I pay for in life is simply money spent for an experience that I find enjoyable, from the flavor of a good wine or steak to the feel of quality fabric on my skin to sounds that make me want to tap my toes. If I get more than three bucks worth of enjoyment out of a service each month why on earth should I give a shit as to how it is implemented? Life is too short for me to cut off my nose just to spite my face.

tzare

beermonkey@tehbias said:

it is okay if you wish to pay for that, but PSN is not irritating. It was when you did not have access to XMB in-game, but that is a thing of the past. Playing online on PS3 is easy, put your game, invite, wait. If a friend is playing another game, send MP, wait play.

tzare said:
it is okay if you wish to pay for that, but PSN is not irritating. It was when you did not have access to XMB in-game, but that is a thing of the past. Playing online on PS3 is easy, put your game, invite, wait. If a friend is playing another game, send MP, wait play.

PSN is irritating to my friends and I, we want to talk to each other regardless of what game we are playing. The amount of online support also varies by game, some don't even support voice where with 360 you always have voice even with a launch title from 2005. Sony chose a bad philosophy by making too much implemented in the game instead of in the OS. I will give Sony props for making progress since launch, though.

belvedere

Junior Butler
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I think it's extremely foolish to not be willing to pay for something you enjoy regardless of the techical details of how it is implemented or how much profit somebody is making. Everything I pay for in life is simply money spent for an experience that I find enjoyable, from the flavor of a good wine or steak to the feel of quality fabric on my skin to sounds that make me want to tap my toes. If I get more than three bucks worth of enjoyment out of a service each month why on earth should I give a shit as to how it is implemented? Life is too short for me to cut off my nose just to spite my face.

The PS3 already has an XMB.

The PS3 already has in-game chat.

The PS3 already has XMB friend invites.

In no way should it be considered a "premium" feature to allow me to use that same functionality in more scenarios (cross game chat/invites).

Don't get me wrong, I agree that if something like video chat (in game), additional content or some sort of crazy friend statistic portal/social network feature should definitely have a charge added to it. But not a feature that basically exists now, that can be improved. That's fucking ridiculous.

kevm3

As long as they don't put a 'gate' in front of gaming and start charging a toll to play, then fine. The optimal solution would be to leave this premium tier out in general and keep things how they are though. I love everyone being on 'even ground.'

Chris R

Truespeed said:
Once again the old people making the decisions are out of touch with reality.
Pretty much, but I mean, they see Microsoft getting away with it, so why can't we? Who cares if our product isn't as good as XBL! We will charge for it anyways.

edit: I won't be buying it though, and will continue to purchase multiplatform titles with multiplayer I want to play on the PS3, well as long as they don't switch to charge to play like XLB.

J-Rzez

I'm seriously raging here that they're charging for features that I don't care that I don't have now. What the hell Sony, don't charge me for these things, I'd rather you charge me to unlock a feature of a game that I pay full price for at the store, online MP, which is not as important as cross game voice chat. Why don't you tax each game like MS does, which already gets a cut from lic-fees per copy sold? I'm so mad they're charging $10/mo for features I wouldn't pay for in the first place, so mad.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
If people keep paying $15 for limp map packs and $25 for vanity mounts, things like this will continue to occur.

thuway said:
If Cross-Game Chat and Invites are premium only features, we Riot.
i really hope they are. because if they are free, that means i will be getting some fucking chat invites every 10 minutes while im just trying to play a game or watch a movie with the gf... and why would i want to talk to people when they're playing a different game?! the whole concept is just ridiculous, and would force me to play offline mostly.

Raistlin

lastinline said:
- Exclusive in-game DLC
That's just dumb. If you buy a game, you should be given access to all the DLC, no matter what PSN you have.

I generally agree. What I'm wondering though ... are they implying that some of the proceeds from subscriptions would actually be used to create DLC, which you would then receive for free or only available to you? In that case, I don't see the problem. That means they are creating DLC that they may not have risked previously.

If it actually starts affecting DLC that would have been created anyways ... then that's where the problems would start. Without knowing these answers, I'm not sure we should call it a pro or a con just yet.

- 'First Hour' demos of retail titles - play the first hour for free, then purchase the full game if you wish
Demos are fine the way they are. An hour demo would just spoil the game for me.

This doesn't really sound like a traditional demo though. It sounds like you are actually playing the game for the first hour to see if you want it or not. How does that spoil anything? Since there is supposedly cloud game-saves, I assume this means you can actually transfer your save from the 'demo' to the real game ... since the demo actually is the real game.

- Exclusive access to cross-game chat
A console feature shouldn't be a paid feature.

- Access to auto/background patching of games
Same as cross-game chat. A console feature shouldn't be a paid feature.

Yeah, these moves will probably chap the most asses out of anything

I'd say all-and-all it's a nice feature set when taken at face value. The main questions become pricing, and whether there will be a ton of ire that certain features aren't part of the standard PSN/OS feature set.

Regarding the first question, I guess it matters what sort of discounts and DLC we receive. On the first page, Hanmik joked, "- pay money to get discounts? :lol" And initially, I too thought the same thing. Upon further inspection though, maybe it actually isn't a bad way to go. I suspect what they are doing may be similar to the Costco/B.J.'s/etc. business model. Offset the risk of selling at a very low average margin, by having a subscription membership. Depending on what is offered and what your normal gaming habits are, I suspect there will be plenty of people that may do well with this arrangement.

As to the second question, I think plenty of people will bitch about features that should be OS-level, and therefore should be offered to all. That said, this service appears to be entirely additive - not a one of its features are due to moving or gimping features that were previously free. It's all new or expanded features relative to standard PSN. That being the case, and since PS3 already has a fairly large free feature set versus the competitors, I feel any ire should be mitigated to a large degree.

Cruzader

Banned
Arpharmd B said:

Pretty close to it.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Joke character???

Free online> x-game chat feature.

If I could choose free online w/premium feature then $50 a year for online w/free x-game chat, Id choose free online. Stop trying to spin this.

Crisis

Banned
I do want cross-game chat a fairly large amount. But charging for it isn't going to be useful. There's going to be too many people that don't pay for PSN + to get it. This is different from Xbox Live Gold where the tangible benefit is to play games online. There's going to be enough people paying to play online to where not having all of your friends able to play online isn't fun but there's something to make up for it. I don't want to do cross-game chat with random strangers. That's part of the reason I want cross-game chat with my friends in the first place. If you wanted to get people to pay for this then some kind of compromise needs to be done. You could let PSN + users talk to non-premium users from anywhere. But regular users could only do that outside of a game. I'm sure it's not what Sony wants to do but it's the only way to make that feature useful enough for + users and not totally screw over any reason for purchasing it.

Cruzader said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Joke character???

Free online> x-game chat feature.

If I could choose free online w/premium feature then $50 a year for online w/free x-game chat, Id choose free online. Stop trying to spin this.
Totally agree, I will never subscribe to these premium services myself and I will not buy a 360 as long as I will get monthly raped to play online. I hate nickel-and-diming.

YagizY

I am in a small boat that thinks cross game chat pretty much ruins a lot of multiplayer shooters. Instead of people communicating during tean multiplayer shooters they just talk with their buddies. TBH I find it to be annoying. If your playing single player games and chatting thats fine, I hate it for multiplayer.

LegoDad

Malio said:
$10/month is seriously steep for those rather weak features. Hopefully that rumor turns out to be false for PS3 owners.

Um, Xbox Live is $8 a month.... They probably didn't know the full 1 year price so quoted an estimated 1 month price...

cRIPticon

beermonkey@tehbias said:
PSN is irritating to my friends and I, we want to talk to each other regardless of what game we are playing. The amount of online support also varies by game, some don't even support voice where with 360 you always have voice even with a launch title from 2005. Sony chose a bad philosophy by making too much implemented in the game instead of in the OS. I will give Sony props for making progress since launch, though.

Go buy a telephone. Seriously.

This is the argument I hear so often, that people just want to talk across the network, nothing to do with the game. Just because Microsoft discovered that customers used XBL on the original XBox as a VoIP system 80% of the time, and exploited it this generation, does not mean that it is, or needs to be, a standard feature of consoles. When playing games, I prefer to pay attention to the GAME I am playing and chat with the people I am playing that game with. Everything else is just distraction.

YagizY said:
I am in a small boat that thinks cross game chat pretty much ruins a lot of multiplayer shooters. Instead of people communicating during tean multiplayer shooters they just talk with their buddies. TBH I find it to be annoying. If your playing single player games and chatting thats fine, I hate it for multiplayer.

That boat may not be as small as you think :)

jett

D-Member
thuway said:
If Cross-Game Chat and Invites are premium only features, we Riot.

Cross-game inviting is already there. It's up to developers to implement it. RE5 supports the feature.

netguy503

caliblue15 said:
Um, Xbox Live is $8 a month.... They probably didn't know the full 1 year price so quoted an estimated 1 month price...

LOL caliblue.:lol

I still don't know how they will stop sharing with this service with people already tied to accounts with people who decide they want this service. I get that the sharer will be locked out of cloud storage or cross game chat features (that would be easy to do) but how could you stop someone from profiting off the discounted/free PSN titles, the entrances to BETA's, or the one hour retail demos (Ok, on this last one I could see how it could be easily locked out but it'd be kind of tricky to do I think).

Top Bottom