• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Small new Mass Effect: Andromeda details

RPGam3r

RIP me :(

As I said in that thread, Cerberus part is extremely disappointing and I won't even play the game if they're back.

I always find it weird when people draw abritrary lines in the sand saying they won't play a game based on something we know next to nothing about. Could be GOAT, but hell no if some random part of the fiction exists of unknown quantity or reasoning.

RobNBanks

Banned
I always find it weird when people draw abritrary lines in the sand saying they won't play a game based on something we know next to nothing about. Could be GOAT, but hell no if some random part of the fiction exists of unknown quantity or reasoning.

BioWare had three chances to make us care about them. All three chances failed miserably.

Sorry for not being thrilled at the prospect of meeting them a fourth time.

RobNBanks

Banned
Sounds about right. We just can't stop being assholes.

Also this would be the first time the main antagonist is human.

I know they were completely forgettable (look a few posts above) but majority of the game was spent against Kai Leng/TIM.

Reapers were just a backdrop in the culmination of their story.

Kinyou

I just hope they don't make the same mistakes they did with DA:I and manage to fill the world with meaningful content this time

Buntabox

I'd be cool with Cerberus returning if it was more a long the lines of New Vegas Enclave/Brotherhood. They've splintered and there isn't much left of them. They aren't really a threat as much as a group of radicals holding onto old ways. Just please don't make them the main big-bads.

The most important part is whether or not the running animation is next-gen
No whether there is enough memory for you to put away the gun is waaaaay more important.

Also, have they confirmed that reapers play no part in the plot? I just have a feeling they will as allowing an "ark" to escape the harvesting to another galaxy could be a danger to the reaper cycle.

Beefy

So do you think this game will be ok for a person that hasn't played ME before? The more I read of it the more I like.

So do you think this game will be ok for a person that hasn't played ME before? The more I read of it the more I like.

Mass Effect is an amazing series. I really think you should play the trilogy with all the DLC. I love Mass Effect 3 with the added DLC:)

SomTervo

I think this has potential to be a GOAT.

I still haven't finished Mass Effect 3. Lost my momentum. This was right while the whole world was going nutso about the ending.

Definitely. I reckon beyond the occasional easter egg/reference, it will probably be an entirely new story.

It's quite clear that it's in the same universe, though, so you won't have the same insight into the different races and their histories and all the unique stories behind them. Unless you spend a while reading the Codex (like Mass Effect's big history text log) which is actually a great read anyway.

Alucrid

Banned
I hope the decisions you make this time have a relatively hefty impact in the current game rather than leaving it for an incredibly underwhelming payoff two games down the line.

byropoint

I really like the idea of traveling through the galaxy searching for a habitable planet, sounds adventurous. Also can't wait to see how the game looks, Battlefront uses the same engine and it's beautiful.

Jackpot

Banned
This taking place iii different galaxy

Exactly. So why do we need to go to a different galaxy for a new home. If there's a galactic-wide threat it seems like only a stopgap, especially if humans already have intergalactic travel.

eot

Banned
I'm trying very hard to not get hyped for this. Maybe I need to take a cold shower play Arrival/Omega.

The most important part is whether or not the running animation is next-gen

tumblr_msx2fcUrhU1r90ooxo1_250.gif

Would've preferred something more small scale. Like playing as a Space Cop/Detective solving mysteries and working your way through the underworld instead of doing the usual "save the human race" thing.

dralla

All I want is for it to be less of a mediocre shooter and more of an RPG. Make the quests more like ME1 where you could approach it different ways. I doubt it'll happen but I can dream.

Video of info here (no new footage): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGpNBtzVRH4
Long story short, dude posts info, contacts reddit mods, provides what they believe to be sufficient proof that the person has access to an early build of the game.
Still marking it as a rumour because why not. I haven't played the game, but I can say that some of this stuff echoes details I've heard too, so it's probably legit.
Props to Renekton for posting it first.

My summary:
  • Same party-of-three setup of the last three games: you plus two squadmates.
  • Two of the squadmates include a petite, buxom, blonde human woman. And a krogan (spotted in the E3 trailer).
  • Play as "Pathfinder".
  • Tasked with finding a new home for the human race.
  • Other races included too, obviously.
  • Squadmates + yourself have jetpacks that play a key role in exploration.
  • Omni tool is more versatile with situational interactivity. EG: deploy a shield in combat.
  • Similar weapons as per previous games.
  • Quality of facial features and character models a major feature of rendering improvements.
  • Destructible cover.
  • New ship is an entirely new design plus new layout from the Normandy. Has a balcony to observe lower levels, and see stuff like the Mako, and a "Pathfinder's quarters".
  • Conduct "Strike" missions from ship.
  • Meeting room to interact with squad.
  • Mako more or less identical to what appeared in the E3 trailer. Likely customisable.
  • Character customisation includes armour, helmet, gauntlet, etc.
    [*]Traditional galaxy map navigation gone. Galaxy traversal now done via first person view of the ship, manually flying to locations.
  • FTL drive for rapid travel.
  • Markers on planets and what not for guiding.
  • Main alien enemies described as a cross between Vorcha and Collectors.
  • During early build combat enemies dropped in via Cerberus ships. Unsure if this is a placeholder or legit.
  • One antagonist is
    a human soldier, armoured similar to you but without the N7 branding. Can spare/kill him. Motivations unknown.

Not much. But there.
This is the big deal for me. Give me a sense of exploration. I have soured on this series, but I am looking to be brought back into the fold.

Sou Da

Would've preferred something more small scale. Like playing as a Space Cop/Detective solving mysteries and working your way through the underworld instead of doing the usual "save the human race" thing.

I don't really see how these details exclusively point to what you're thinking but no one wanted a prequel/sidequel so the whole Witcher in space thing was never gonna happen.

In fact the very first post in that "What do you guys want in a new mass effect thread" was Go to andromeda

I don't really see how these details exclusively point to what you're thinking but no one wanted a prequel/sidequel so the whole Witcher in space thing was never gonna happen.

In fact the very first post in that "What do you guys want in a new mass effect thread" was Go to andromeda

Well, there's the fact that Bioware's games are almost exclusively about saving the world (DA2 being an exception). "Finding a new home for the human race" doesn't exactly leave much to the imagination.

Sou Da

Well, there's the fact that Bioware's games are almost exclusively about saving the world (DA2 being an exception). "Finding a new home for the human race" doesn't exactly leave much to the imagination.

We'll see how it plays out then. That statement doesn't really scream 'savior' to me.

God I hope we get a blowout of info on this game soon. Its about a year away now so we should be seeing gameplay not too far from now you would think.

Love Mass Effect, probably my favorite franchise of all time.

Two things I hope they do:

Look at the Witcher 3 for inspiration for how they build out side quests as opposed to the collectathon that made up 95÷ of Dragon Age Inquisitions content.

Jettison the paragon / Renegade dialogue auto win button. Or at least lock it behind a skill tree to make it mean something. Better yet, write some interesting morally gray choices in the narrative. Always select the blue option is not interesting role playing.

Guri

Cerberus, a pro-human group which wants to conquer areas for the human race, being in this game in any way actually makes sense. They can make this very interesting.

Top Bottom