• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Small new Mass Effect: Andromeda details

Iksenpets

Banned
Not sure how I like the sound of manually flying versus the galaxy map. Also not too hot on Cerberus being back, and the seeming lack of focus on new aliens. I hope this is just early game and there are a lot more new species than Vorcha/Collectors, hopefully some that are a little more relatable. Putting the focus on the evil/monstrous aliens seems like it would be throwing out a lot of story possibilities in a story where you're basically a foreign colonist.

A single pro-human Cerberus agent undercover on a ship isn't a bad concept in and of itself. As long as an entire Army of dudes don't materialize out of thin air a la ME3, I'm willing to roll with it and see what direction they take it

Human_me

Cerberus, a pro-human group which wants to conquer areas for the human race, being in this game in any way actually makes sense. They can make this very interesting.

I think it's fine for them being in the game.
As long as they aren't center stage and you eventually defeat them within the first game.

Heck, I think it would be cool if there was a choice where you defeat Cerberus and get given the choice of killing them or "absorbing" them into your faction.

If you kill them you are an evil bastard, but no future complications happen.
If you absorb them, then in a future game they try a coup throwing your whole faction in chaos.
It would be pretty cool
(I know ME3 has a coup in the citadel, but I'd like a more extreme version where your favourite teammates might be in on it.)

Zolo

The biggest problem is that Bioware's just put Cerberus into too many plots instead of allowing for more factions in the universe.

McNum

I'm not too sold on Cerberus either. ME3 kind of turned them into cartoon supervillains, which is not inherently a bad thing, but I can't really take them seriously in ME anymore. Even if that whole "...and then it turned on them and started killing their dudes." conversation in ME3 was amusing. Because, really... That's what they do. Repeatedly.

Still, having Cerberus sympathizers on the ark could be fun, or if they want to keep it on the cartoon supervillain level, they have their own ark, which for some reason arrives in the same area of space as yours. It would, at least, be worth it to have a plot development where you think you're making first contact with an alien species, only to have them react aggressively since the first humans they saw were monsters. Then you have to track down whoever that is and beat them up.

Beefy

I think this has potential to be a GOAT.

I still haven't finished Mass Effect 3. Lost my momentum. This was right while the whole world was going nutso about the ending.

Definitely. I reckon beyond the occasional easter egg/reference, it will probably be an entirely new story.

It's quite clear that it's in the same universe, though, so you won't have the same insight into the different races and their histories and all the unique stories behind them. Unless you spend a while reading the Codex (like Mass Effect's big history text log) which is actually a great read anyway.

Thanx! I may actually do that.

Thanx to the other people who replied as well.

Falchion

The goal of finding a new home for the human race is pretty interesting to me. I'm excited for more details to come.

Pastry

Banned
Is this like a direct sequel? I only ever played he first and hen I went on like a video game hiatus for 5 years.

McNum

Is this like a direct sequel? I only ever played he first and hen I went on like a video game hiatus for 5 years.
No. It's a sidestory to the original trilogy. That one is set in the Milky Way, but this one is about colonizing the Andromeda Galaxy, it seems. Same universe, though, but you don't play as Shepard this time.

mosdl

Love Mass Effect, probably my favorite franchise of all time.

Two things I hope they do:

Look at the Witcher 3 for inspiration for how they build out side quests as opposed to the collectathon that made up 95÷ of Dragon Age Inquisitions content.

Jettison the paragon / Renegade dialogue auto win button. Or at least lock it behind a skill tree to make it mean something. Better yet, write some interesting morally gray choices in the narrative. Always select the blue option is not interesting role playing.

So you want your character to walk over to someone, get 2 lines of dialog, enable detective vision, find the monster(s), and kill them? I don't get the Witcher 3 sidequest love, they were fine but not godly like everyone makes them seem.

Also isn't have multiple choices the correct way to role play instead of having one gray choice?

Aikidoka

So the big twist is that you spend all this time trying to find a place in Andromeda to live and escape the Reapers (in the Milky Way) only at the end to realize that Andromeda is on a crash course with the Milky Way and the cycle continues and the game ends with the MC talking to the reaper god child and choosing your favorite color.

Iksenpets

Banned
In my Mass Effect? Yeah, no.

Right, Mass Effect is not a sim in any way. If they want to do some flying stuff, give us a little ship we can fly around and do some like orbital battles against other fighter craft. Or do bigger naval-style battles with our Normandy stand in. Flying in a straight line to the next star over is never going to be super fun.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Can't wait, even though the ME3 ending was kinda crap, the 30 hours that preceded it were 10/10 IMO.

Pryce

Traditional galaxy map navigation gone. Galaxy traversal now done via first person view of the ship, manually flying to locations.
FTL drive for rapid travel.

ohhhhmygod.

Could be great or could be horrible.

Trickster

Don´t get it. When i saw the game not to long ago space travel was what excited me the most.

Not sure what you've seen of the game that I haven't then. Because we've seen practically nothing except a short teaser that took place on the surface of a planet.

So I don't see why that would make you excited for space exploration. However, planetary exploration, that I could understand why someone would be excited for, there's potential in that. But empty space, going from planet or system a to b? Sorry, that I honestly don't see the appeal of.

_woLf

I'm going to be really upset if the story is that human centric. Other races need a new home too, you should be looking for a new home for all intelligent life. :/

Bioware always forces a human centric edge in mass effect, a series that needs it the least

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I can't wait to see the new character models and the customization. I'm imagining the lighting looking really nice too (neon lights, glowing stuff, etc.). Regardless, it's more Mass Effect which I'll definitely play.
I hope Male Protag has some actually good customization options this time around

It was super easy to make a good looking FemShep. ManShep, not so much

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Three questions:

1. Can I play as an alien?
  2. Can the main character be an alien?
  3. Can I role play in the role as the main role as an alien?

I'm pretty sure BioWare have stated that the protag is human for sure... not sure when though.

Personally, I love the sound of all of that, except maybe the Cerberus stuff.... but we'll (I'm sure it'll be great).

GlamFM

Banned
Not sure what you've seen of the game that I haven't then. Because we've seen practically nothing except a short teaser that took place on the surface of a planet.

So I don't see why that would make you excited for space exploration. However, planetary exploration, that I could understand why someone would be excited for, there's potential in that. But empty space, going from planet or system a to b? Sorry, that I honestly don't see the appeal of.

I've seen prototype stuff.

Mikeside

giphy.gif

‘Mass Effect: Andromeda’ Features A Human-Only Protagonist For A Very Specific Reason, Explains BioWare

Disappointed with this.
Fuck the reasons. Make a game where I can play as a Quarian or a Turian.

Even better if it were set before humans are relevant to the galaxy

TheMan

i really hope we go back to the exploration of planets like in ME 1 with the mako, albeit with more varied bases.

SugarDave

petite, buxom, blonde human woman.

original.jpg

Sounds good but for the love of god, please no Cerberus!

I'm interested to see how they account for what I assume will be less NPCs in general outside of your ship. Obviously there's going to be new races but unlike the trilogy where the races all had pre-established relationships that made sense, it would be weird if you're just dropping onto planets and casually introducing yourselves to entirely new cultures throughout the whole game. I have a feeling they're going to give us a huge ship that acts as the only hub and contains the majority of characters and conversations. Then everything else will be focused on combat and exploration.

GlamFM

Banned
Are you even allowed to say such a thing if you saw the game? :p Isn't there NDAs for that?

I'm not under any NDA. I'm also not going to spoil or leak anything.

But since the info is out there I there I think it's ok to say that I liked what I saw.

Tasked with finding a new home for the human race.

I dunno.
I think that resonate badly with the current refugee crisis.

Wasn't there already a race of refugees in the ME universe?

Also, I only played the second one. What's forcing everyone out of the Milky Way and its 400 billions stars into the nearest galaxy and its trillion stars? Technically, Andromeda is already in the process of fusing with the Milky Way, so in the scale of the universe, it's like moving your chair a foot to the left.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
hahahaha at Cerberus being back.

God damn they can't let that plot thread go.
In a shocking twist, it turns out there's one returning character, having somehow made his way to the Andromeda Galaxy

"Nobody can take me out, not even the Shepard"

-KL

Top Bottom