• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Runbow |OT| Taste the Runbow

I just bought it. Played it for about an hour and it's fun as hell!

I haven't tried the multiplayer modes (I don't have any gaming friends around and I'm not big into online matches), so I'll focus on the single-player modes. Thankfully, it seems like the game has a lot of single-player content.

If you're playing alone, Adventure mode is the main attraction. It has 140 short but challenging stages. Depending on how fast you beat each stage, you'll earn one, two or three medals (and those medals unlock content in the game). You'll probably replay some levels a few times in order to get all three medals.

In Run mode, you choose how many stages you want to go through (default is ten) and must complete them in sequence. If you die, you're taken to the next stage, so you have to be perfect if you want to get a perfect ranking in the end. It looks like stages are sorted in random order, so this is good if you're stuck in adventure mode and want to try a few different stages.

Finally, I've only played Bowhemoth for three minutes, but it was hell. Stages are way harder than the ones I've played in Adventure mode. I can't wait to play more ^_^

Is this worth it for single player? If so, it'll be my next eShop purchase.

I can't really say yet because I haven't played much, but it is a very fun game, it has lots of stages and different single-player modes. If you're a completionist, getting all three medals in each Adventure mode stage might be fun. I'll come back later and tell whether it gets boring or not.

Experien

Am I the only one having glitching/lags?

Playing one player and Bowhemoth and Adventure both lags randomly. Like I'll go to make a job and the image will instantly clip to about 20 frames later and you can't control your character or make jumps accurately.

This happens on my 46" Samsung LED TV and on the GamePad.

Playing one player and Bowhemoth and Adventure both lags randomly. Like I'll go to make a job and the image will instantly clip to about 20 frames later and you can't control your character or make jumps accurately.

Are you running it off an external HDD?

Exile20

13AM Games @13amgames
Hey #Runbow fans! If you're experiencing frame rate issues, try moving Runbow from an external drive to the internal storage! #workinonit
9:03 PM - 28 Aug 2015

EulaCapra

13AM Games @13amgames
Hey #Runbow fans! If you're experiencing frame rate issues, try moving Runbow from an external drive to the internal storage! #workinonit
9:03 PM - 28 Aug 2015
What... I won't be doing that but I'm glad they're on top of it.

I can't really say yet because I haven't played much, but it is a very fun game, it has lots of stages and different single-player modes. If you're a completionist, getting all three medals in each Adventure mode stage might be fun. I'll come back later and tell whether it gets boring or not.

Cool, sounds worthy of a purchase. Thanks!

Do you enjoy puzzle platforming and speed running?

Of course!

Bowhemoth is a PAIN...but I just beat it!

WnhC69T.png

Those later levels, man :(

Bowhemoth is a great concept. Really love it. I'll put some more time into it.

Haven't really played much Adventure but from what I've played, it's fun. Definitely something I would like to play through...but Bowhemoth is kinda awesome right now, lol. Something that needs leaderboards.

Edit: video of my run in case you wanted to see the later levels:

http://youtu.be/0hOLRKh44oY

Exile20

Those later levels, man :(

Bowhemoth is a great concept. Really love it. I'll put some more time into it.

Haven't really played much Adventure but from what I've played, it's fun. Definitely something I would like to play through...but Bowhemoth is kinda awesome right now, lol. Something that needs leaderboards.

ye that is a missed opportunity

Vena

Did another quadrant of Adventure (the short pace lets me throw in a level or two between some League and Splatoon play), and shit picks up fast and hard in the top left, lol.

The difficulty curve is solid, and I can't wait to see what the top right quadrant is going to bring to the table.

I hope 13AM keeps us posted on how the game does as it deserves to do well!

Exile20

Did another quadrant of Adventure (the short pace lets me throw in a level or two between some League and Splatoon play), and shit picks up fast and hard in the top left, lol.

The difficulty curve is solid, and I can't wait to see what the top right quadrant is going to bring to the table.

I hope 13AM keeps us posted on how the game does as it deserves to do well!

This said they have plans for post content so atleast they are willing, but I really hope it does well.

I finally got 9 people connected online for a game. It was absolutely chaotic, but I loved the time I put in.

Ye 9 player games are a riot. I just keep jumping at the beginning to get away from the punches. The worst is switching of position, upsidedown or just falling to your death while infront.

I have seen people taunt right at the cup but you can't cancel it so the second place person rushes in for the win. I laugh so bad at that.

I played it for 20 minutes yesterday and died, like, a hundred times ^_^ It's really fun. It looks nearly impossible in the beginning, but then your mind starts to get it.

I've cleared the first quadrant in Adventure Mode and all the stages were a blast. I'm also impressed by the variety of "death messages" the developers added: of course there's lots of repetition since you die a lot, but every now and then I still get a new message.

Just completed the Forgotten Forest, 100%. When they threw the upside down levels at me, I was like whattttttt? lol

I do enjoy the fact that it's not always about running to the goal. There are some levels where you need to defeat all enemies or collect x amount of medals.

Going to take a break from Adventure Mode and try a round of the Bowhemoth.

Haven't tried the online yet but I can only imagine how crazy (and fun) it would be.

What controls are you guys using, btw? I'm using the Wiimote.

Edit: Better Bowhemoth score:

EulaCapra

Having weird music glitches today. Played Run online three times today and there was no background music. It's all just characters grunting. Awkward! Other modes online were fine.

And then did a level in Adventure and there were two audio tracks playing at the same time.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hmm, I played my Preview Demo and I thought it was okay. But the more media I read about the more fun it sounds. My wife and daughters probably aren't going to play with me, so this will likely be a single player experience...

I really should have taken one of the Bandcamp album codes VGMO posted a few days ago and gotten myself this game's awesome soundtrack. Of course, anyone in the know about that is probably a deserving fan of this already, so I'm happy for them.

My friends and I did this 4 players for 2.5 hours, did a lot of adventure mode some of the stages weren't designed with multiplayer in mind. Game needs a Cloudberry Kingdom esque phantom enemy the other players can jump on

Exile20

Hmm, I played my Preview Demo and I thought it was okay. But the more media I read about the more fun it sounds. My wife and daughters probably aren't going to play with me, so this will likely be a single player experience...

Well there is online also.

Platy

...is there any way to disable friendly fire in adventure ?

Because this is getting WAY harder than it should xD

My wife and I had a lot of fun with this tonight. We worked our way through the first poster of adventure mode, and were laughing all the way. Sometimes it seemed like the death comments knew how we had just spectacularly failed the level. It was clear that some levels were made with one player in mind, but we usually just fought each other until one person made it to the platform. We played one round of each of the other modes too, and had fun. The arena mode isn't really made for two players, but was fun once through.

I tried the online as well. I hadn't played very much before I tried it, but it was easy to find a match with a full room for me to get my butt kicked in. A little laggy for me, but I was having internet troubles all day. I actually started off with bowhemoth, which was pretty intense. I made it all the way to the first color change (however far that is). It seems like a great one-player mode. Can't wait to play more tomorrow! It's fun unlocking costumes and characters, and there seem to be tons of records and achievements.

Just had the weirdest experience. Was playing an online Run game and it just... didn't stop. I played like four or five runs labeled 10/10 before I went ahead and left the room.

Game's a lot of fun, though! Adventure is solid, though I wish I had a few friends to play with locally, and online works better than I expected. I wish there was a bit more performance polish, though, as the little lag spikes in offline are really annoying, especially as they seem to happen at the beginning of almost every level.

Oh, and Bowhemoth first run, for
bragging rights
posterity:

Dragmire

Just want to throw my support behind this game. It's a lot of fun and great for multiplayer, including online. Reminds me of Speedrunners, but I think they both have things to offer. Runbow can be more memory-based or trial-based due to the color-changing, and probably more chaotic as a party game. Speedrunners has more interesting, momentum-based physics.

Exile20

Just had the weirdest experience. Was playing an online Run game and it just... didn't stop. I played like four or five runs labeled 10/10 before I went ahead and left the room.

Game's a lot of fun, though! Adventure is solid, though I wish I had a few friends to play with locally, and online works better than I expected. I wish there was a bit more performance polish, though, as the little lag spikes in offline are really annoying, especially as they seem to happen at the beginning of almost every level.

Oh, and Bowhemoth first run, for
bragging rights
posterity:

Try installing to internal drive. Helps with the lag spikes.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the Bowhemeth....in 20:08. I knew I messed up, I spent a good minute just doing taunts so I could unlock Scram Kitty. Man, what a stinker.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This looks awesome, never heard of it so I'm glad I could catch this OT.
Buying it next week almost assuredly

Are you only able to taunt if you make it to the goal first or is there a button specifically to taunt?

Edit: we had fun going online and racing, pretty frantic. We've got two freezes after playing one race and staying in the same room to continue and now a big buzzing freeze in a 9 player room which was our cue to move to something else. Otherwise seems fun with the boyfriend in bursts.

Vena

Are you only able to taunt if you make it to the goal first or is there a button specifically to taunt?

Edit: we had fun going online and racing, pretty frantic. We've got two freezes after playing one race and staying in the same room to continue and now a big buzzing freeze in a 9 player room which was our cue to move to something else. Otherwise seems fun with the boyfriend in bursts.

The game is, imo, perfect for 15-30 minute sessions but gets repetitive after that unless you have some organic local-multiplayer fun that comes from just a bunch of people playing together.

Platy

There is a button.

Up or down on the dpad I forgot.

SPECIALY annoying if you are playing online and suddenly everyone dies except for one asshole who keeps taunting ><

69wpm

Can't wait to taste the Runbow with you guys later. I hope a lot of people buy this game so we have a nice online community.

Top Bottom