• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Runbow |OT| Taste the Runbow

So I didn't receive a response and no one on Miiverse knew the answer (understandably) when I asked.

SatoAilDarko said:
I'm guessing no support for 7 Bluetoooth controllers like Smash either?

I'm guessing not a ton of people have over four Wii Remotes/Pro Controllers at hand to check.

I have them but it is a pain to put batteries in everything just to check.

Don't have the game yet as I'm waiting for the month to pass and my discount to go away to buy at full price to support the devs.

JonnyKong

Does anybody know if we can join a friend on our friends list into the public online play lists, or do you always have to do it privately?

Trailer was coo. Demo sold me on this game. Played for about an hr with 5 people locally, sooooo good. Love that they added guest character skins

Stopdoor

So I didn't receive a response and no one on Miiverse knew the answer (understandably) when I asked.

I'm guessing not a ton of people have over four Wii Remotes/Pro Controllers at hand to check.

I have them but it is a pain to put batteries in everything just to check.

Don't have the game yet as I'm waiting for the month to pass and my discount to go away to buy at full price to support the devs.

I have enough controllers but can't test right now. I saw a statement from the developers very recently, I think a Reddit AMA where they only claimed support for 5 wireless controllers (I'm not sure if they realize Smash Bros. can go higher without Gamecube controllers?)

I have enough controllers but can't test right now. I saw a statement from the developers very recently, I think a Reddit AMA where they only claimed support for 5 wireless controllers (I'm not sure if they realize Smash Bros. can go higher without Gamecube controllers?)

Oh good, so if I have 1 gamepad, 5 wiimotes and 1 classic controller (add on to wii remote, not the pro thing) I can have 7 players?

Bulbasaur

Banned
Was supposed to be out on the AU eshop today but something happened.. I swear if the next Nintendo's aren't region free I'm importing from the U.S. I'm so over it.

They know. After Nintendo said the Gamecube adapter was Smash only they said they were looking into more than 4 Bluetooth controllers.

By that statement it looks like only 4 Bluetooth plus Gamepad is supported.

I knew it probably couldn't happen since you can only connect 4 on the system level. Smash is strange with its controller options. Sucks Nintendo doesn't support it for other games.

Oh good, so if I have 1 gamepad, 5 wiimotes and 1 classic controller (add on to wii remote, not the pro thing) I can have 7 players?

No. Only one Gamepad and 4 other Bluetooth controllers.

TheMoon

Was supposed to be out on the AU eshop today but something happened.. I swear if the next Nintendo's aren't region free I'm importing from the U.S. I'm so over it.

No it wasn't. Plus, you can already buy it from any of the EU stores, just like on other region free consoles. This is not where you can make a region free argument.

No one is ever in King of the Hill online and now that we've finally joined two other people, it's still waiting for players.

We play two player King of the hill just fine, why do we need more than four online?

Platy

Went to behemoth after defeating the first boss ...

gave up on this part (screenshot from youtube video)

vQAIGWa.png

After more than 1 hour when the death count simply dissapeared around 150 deaths

69wpm

Went to behemoth after defeating the first boss ...

gave up on this part (screenshot from youtube video)

vQAIGWa.png

After more than 1 hour when the death count simply dissapeared around 150 deaths

Yeah, that's where I gave up, too. That level has some bullshit physics. The character slides off the platforms if you don't position him perfectly. I died 50 times and quit after nearly reaching the end a few times.

This game is a lot of fun and the source of much laughter.....however the online game freezing happens way too often, usually after a match thankfully.

I think I saw someone else mention this as well but we had an infinite game online, continuing after the 10th run until we actively left the game.

I hope they patch this game as it's super fun

Vena

Heh Runbow is now above Splatoon for #1 on NA eShop on the current charts, so they're doing decently well at least.

Ziocyte

What an amazing game! I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone looking for extended hours of casual multiplayer fun. Bought it on a whim last night having never heard of it. We played 7 player local until the wee hours of the night. It was a blast.

What exactly does the "Fun" option affect?

I know it unlocks a character or two just by flipping through it but why would you want to actually change the setting?

Ziocyte

What exactly does the "Fun" option affect?

I know it unlocks a character or two just by flipping through it but why would you want to actually change the setting?

As far as I can tell it has no effect on the game. Just a joke option and like you said, the character unlocks for toggling through it.

No it wasn't. Plus, you can already buy it from any of the EU stores, just like on other region free consoles. This is not where you can make a region free argument.

It actually was, got delayed last minute because of some classification issue. And man I would switch to EU but I'd lose all my money I have in the eShop...

Haven't been this thirsty for a game in a while! Hoping it will come out next week D:

TheMoon

It actually was, got delayed last minute because of some classification issue. And man I would switch to EU but I'd lose all my money I have in the eShop...

Haven't been this thirsty for a game in a while! Hoping it will come out next week D:

Huh? They actually announced the AU date? Sorry if true and I missed that.

You know you don't need to actually "switch" though, right? You can use both NNIDs on Wii U, it's not like on 3DS where you have to wipe the system.

Huh? They actually announced the AU date? Sorry if true and I missed that.

You know you don't need to actually "switch" though, right? You can use both NNIDs on Wii U, it's not like on 3DS where you have to wipe the system.

According to Vooks, yeah.

Hmmm so I need to make a new user and create a European NNID? Okay thanks I'll think about it, I've still gotta use up that money I already put on the eShop though. :)

TheMoon

According to Vooks, yeah.

Hmmm so I need to make a new user and create a European NNID? Okay thanks I'll think about it, I've still gotta use up that money I already put on the eShop though. :)

You don't need to use up your current balance. You lose nothing, you just make a new Mii, create an NNID for that Mii located in a EU country of your choice and you're set. You can still buy stuff on your Aussie NNID whenever you want. All you need to do is select the appropriate Mii.

You don't need to use up your current balance. You lose nothing, you just make a new Mii, create an NNID for that Mii located in a EU country of your choice and you're set. You can still buy stuff on your Aussie NNID whenever you want. All you need to do is select the appropriate Mii.

Ah yeah, thanks I got that. What I meant to say was that since I'm not sure if I'm going to buy anything else eShop-related this year, I would prefer to use up the money I have in my existing NNID. Cheers.

TheMoon

‏@13amgames

Hey, Australia and NZ! We haven't forgotten about you. We've fixed a ton of issues that we are sending in a patch your way! #runbow

(Cont) Thanks so much for being patient and keeping us reminded how excited you are for Runbow!

Not sure why they're specifying AUNZ when talking about a patch. But I guess they mean the AUNZ version will come alongside and already including a patch for the other regions?

Finished adventure mode and bowhemoth today (after five million deaths).

Love this game so much! Cannot wait to get some friends together and play it. :D Here's hoping for some more character DLC too.

I am never getting all those medals or finishing bowhemoth in 20 minutes though. :(

TheMoon

The More You ‘Bow: What Updates Are Coming Next?

The More You ‘Bow is part of an ongoing series about the little ins and outs of Runbow. Each week we’re going to offer you a little more insight into this game we love so much. And yeah… we just kinda wanted to call something “The More You ‘Bow.”

This week’s post is brought to you by the excited will of the populace.

MORE UPDATES INBOUND

First off we want to make a heartfelt thank you to everyone that took the time to play with us online in Open Party Runs last week. We gave away a lot of soundtrack codes and had a ton of fun. We also learned a bunch about how to improve the Runbow experience for you!

A lot of people ask us to get more people online. I wish I could just go “yes, here you go,” and dump 1000 concurrent users on the servers for you at any given time. Since that’s impossible with my current level of income and free time (who will walk my dogs?), we can see if we can get more people excited about being online in general.

Less Players < More Players

One of the main factors that deters people from getting online is the worry that there will be no one to match up with. This means less people go on because there are less people, and the cycle continues forever. Matching rooms with up to 4 people is still hard (and we shipped with 5-player matching!).

To fix this, we’re going to set up the lobby to match 2 consoles into a game. This way we can always be sure that any match-up the server makes will lead to a chance to play Runbow. 2 Player matches are a blast (get the swapper, run to the back or throw yourself off a pit. Top-tier kill) and we hope that everyone starts getting excited about being able to turn on Runbow and match up immediately.

While 2 player matches might not be everyone’s cup of tea, the more players that are on the server, the better chance there is of forming bigger and bigger games.

And once you have the game created, we’re designing it so it’s harder to lose the people in that party. More games constantly going will hopefully bring more people onto the servers, and that cycle will hopefully continue forever (in a good way).

Less Crashes = More Players

It’s going to be a lot easier to start playing and continue playing. We have a few fixes in place to help address a few well-known issues that our community will be happy to see go, and we hope these demonstrate to you guys that we are constantly working to make this game work for you. We’ll start to announce what these things are as reports start coming in that our fixes have worked, but since a lot of issues can’t be tested until we see them with different types of hardware, suffice it to say that no news will be good news on this front.

Secrets…

We’ve also added something little… but hopefully it’ll give you a hint about what’s to come. We appreciate you guys taking the time and bandwidth to download our updates, and after this next functional update we’re going to rewarding that loyalty by bringing you some really exciting stuff. Stay tuned to us for news.

And as always, get ready…

http://13amgames.tumblr.com/post/133356909476/the-more-you-bow-what-updates-are-coming-next

BowieZ

Banned
Had a blast with this today.

Shame about the difficulties getting enough people to be online together in concert!

EulaCapra

Wanted to bump with extended Thanksgiving impressions.

FINALLY got a full 9-player game going over the holidays with 10 people and more 5-player games over the next days. Absolutely incredible! We must have played 2.5 hours straight trying all 4 modes.

All the modes were outrageous but we spent most of the time in Colour Master mode since everyone wanted to try their hands at being Colour Master at least once. Definitely still a challenge for the team players to win if they're freshly new to the game lol.

Incredible value (well, not the amount of Wii remotes and accessories). Well done, 13AM Games. Also wanted to applaud their efforts to diversify the characters expanding with the female selection of Indie characters. There were more females in our playtime in real life and in the game (Shantae in next game, plz!).

Kitoro

Hi all! I'm buying this to play during a holiday party I'm hosting next weekend.

What controllers are supported, and how many of each? I need to get everything in order with fresh/charged batteries.

Thanks!

jariw

Hi all! I'm buying this to play during a holiday party I'm hosting next weekend.

What controllers are supported, and how many of each? I need to get everything in order with fresh/charged batteries.

Thanks!

I think you can connect 4 controllers in addition to the Gamepad. All the standard Wii and Wii U controls are supported.

If you want to play more than 6-9 players, you need to connect nunchuck or classic controllers to a Wii remote and split such a combo between 2 people.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Went to a new retrogame shop in town today and they had this game running on a huge 80" tv with 9 people playing and at least another 10 of us whom stopped their shopping just to watch 'em play... Everyone was laughing and having a fantastic time, it was a fucking riot! Much more cohesive than Smash Bros U in 8 players that they tried later (and quickly got back to Runbow); even just experiencing it as a spectator got me so excited I came home all set to buy it... only to realize I probably would never get the chance to multiplay with other 8 people probably ever, despite having the perfect set-up (120" screen with 4 Wii R+ and 4 cc pro)... :(

If they'll do a good sale before the 26th I might cave in just to play it once like that on Christmas/Saint Stephen's day with family.

Seriously, if you can play it even occasionally with at least 4 other friends you've got to buy this game, it's fantastic fun

Just got around to playing the new DLC!

Satura's Space Adventure was great! I love the new multiplayer levels too (and finally, there were some people online).

The music and the costumes are great... I'm glad Lilac was free though because she's a pretty boring character.

solaaire

Neo Member
I had no idea DLC launched for this until late last night. Missed the 25% intro sale, and sadly it seems like I've also missed the influx of players the new DLC might have brought with it.

It seems like you can play the new Satura multiplayer maps without purchasing them. I'm pretty glad they decided not to fragment the small playerbase

I had no idea DLC launched for this until late last night. Missed the 25% intro sale, and sadly it seems like I've also missed the influx of players the new DLC might have brought with it.

It seems like you can play the new Satura multiplayer maps without purchasing them. I'm pretty glad they decided not to fragment the small playerbase

There should still be a pretty solid boost in players thanks to the humble bundle that's going on now, since it's in the BTA tier.

jariw

Yes, now (with the current Humble Bundle) is a good time to play Runbow online, it seems. Generally no big problems finding players.

Regiruler

Come get your Runbow on tonight! All Gaffers are invited for some pick up games of runbow starting from 6pm EDT to 9pm EDT. Stay for as many or as few games as you want. If you want to play, simply keep watch on this thread for when I post the room key.

If you are interested in starting earlier or going later, or you have any other requests or questions, please post them in this thread.
Friends of Gaffers are welcome, I want as many people as we can get.

I was personally thinking of starting with some king of the hill, since the continuous respawn generally makes games more enjoyable for more casual players. I will volunteer as the first host, but to change game mode we will need to form a new room every time.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, runbow private games are NOT done with friend code, but with room code. Spreadsheet is NOT required.

Top Bottom