• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY Twitch Marathon |OT| Oct 9 Will Be The Day

Kysen

I admit I was totally wrong about this series. I came back today (volume 3) after ditching at volume 1 and it is much better. Damn the music is good, just bought the album.

It's not just volume 3, Volume 2 Yang got absolutely wrecked by Neo. Shes such a fun character so seeing her take a majority of the beatings (both physically and mentally) just makes me want to see her kick some ass already.

That's true, but there's been enough distance for me between Yang's fight with Neo in V2 for me to ignore it in my head usually. It's already been about 3 years since that episode aired, after all.

The Volume 3 stuff just feels a lot more recent in my mind.

I admit I was totally wrong about this series. I came back today (volume 3) after ditching at volume 1 and it is much better. Damn the music is good, just bought the album.

Music by Jeff and his daughter Casey Williams has always been one of the strongest aspects of the series. For all the love Monty's animation gets, they'd lose so much power if they weren't backed up by this guy's tracks.

Volume 4 is a whole new beast of animation, RT switch to Maya rather than Poser, and everything outside of the combat (still missing Monty's touch) is improved upon.

I don't think the stream broadcast the four coloured trailers, and as such probably not the Volume 4 character short.

I whole-heartedly recommend.

Yes you should absolutely watch this. It shows all the newer outfits/designs of our leads as well as getting to show Ruby having some fun as well as debuting a new Grimm.

Also shows one of the 'newer' additions to the combat so far which is Ruby really learning to use her Semblance a lot more in combat. In Vol 1-3 most of the times shes using it is mainly for dashing into or out of combat instead of actively using it to fight. Heck before Vol 4 the best use of it is the food fight in vol 2.

PixelatedBookake

Ruby turned out okay, saving the day and finally awakening her Main Character powers considering almost everyone she knows got tossed around like a ragdoll in comparison.

But her friends died and her sister's handicapped. Also her school got destroyed and her friends are separated. That gotta count.

Time for Part 4's slow paced fights.
The Qrow fight was good at least

I know it doesn't count fully since the first half is so slow, but when they decide to stop goofing around against the Geist, that fight seemed to promise a tempo the rest of the volume simply couldn't deliver on.

Is the series past the point of Monty's passing by now? The fighting looks absolutely garbage in comparison to the first season.

EDIT: Also, does Yang's voice actress ever get better because holy shit lmao....

Geist-

Is the series past the point of Monty's passing by now? The fighting looks absolutely garbage in comparison to the first season.

EDIT: Also, does Yang's voice actress ever get better because holy shit lmao....
Ya, V3 and onward is post-Monty (although he probably worked on some of V3 before passing).

Season 3 was post his passing. It seems to have taken them some time to get the fights back up to par, at least from the weiss short for vol 5.

TrueBlue

I was surprised how much I enjoyed Yang's VA at the end of Volume 3. She always managed to do peppy and cocky fine, but I think she sold how defeated Yang was at the end of it without going overboard.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed Yang's VA at the end of Volume 3. She always managed to do peppy and cocky fine, but I think she sold how defeated Yang was at the end of it without going overboard.

Yeah, Barbara Dunkelman isn't the best VA in the show, but she's by far the best VA voicing anyone in Team RWBY. She did a great job with those final Yang scenes in V3 and I like her work in V4 too.

To me, that short made it clear they still have a long way to go and haven't really improved that much.

Also, this dumb vid made me laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_vPKioDXvA

Legit eating some right now in memory of the best thing to come out of this show.

Also on VAs, can we all agree Neo's has better delivery than most of the cast?

Edit:

Also, as a lame last ditch effort to throw a shot into the OT title

Ruby Volume 5 |OT| Give us Ice Cream, Bitch!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm not sure they can ever get back to Monty-quality again, his kind of talent isn't something they can find with a help wanted ad. Though as long as the rest of the show improves, I'll keep watching.

Video made me laugh too.

While it would be hard to find someone with Monty's creative chops, finding someone who can pre-viz, storyboard, and direct a good action sequence is easier. The talent pool there is a lot larger than you may thing if you expand beyond animation to general CG/VFX (ILM, Weta, etc) or even live action. A good veteran with experience may be expensive though, well beyond RWBY's budget I'm guessing.

Geist-

While it would be hard to find someone with Monty's creative chops, finding someone who can pre-viz, storyboard, and direct a good action sequence is easier. The talent pool there is a lot larger than you may thing if you expand beyond animation to general CG/VFX (ILM, Weta, etc) or even live action. A good veteran with experience may be expensive though, well beyond RWBY's budget I'm guessing.
You can find any kind of talent with enough budget, I meant someone at Monty's level at their (probably low-ish) budget.

PixelatedBookake

I hope we see the return of many Volume 1-3 characters that have been absent since the Fall of Beacon. Seeing all those familiar characters in the new and improved art-style will be dope.

Well there was that one Chibi sketch that pegged them as a married couple, so it's not like that idea isn't floating around the writers heads...

Given how the show has directly used the ship names in RWBY's combo attacks (and Jokic ngly for JNPR), and generally seems to be aware of the popular ships, I wouldnt be too surprised if that skit also partially came about after the Entire team ship/joke got really popular.
7f1816cb12cce2740329dc685a605c96--fun-stuff-random-stuff.jpg

3f14c7f559776301b3bbfef31808afb1825fd604_hq.jpg

sketch__i_can_explain_by_arsonicartz-d9q8hf3.png

058.jpg

I hope we see the return of many Volume 1-3 characters that have been absent since the Fall of Beacon. Seeing all those familiar characters in the new and improved art-style will be dope.

I believe CRWBY has said recently that we probably won't be seeing the side teams like CFVY and FNKI again. Which is a shame, because I really liked CFVY. They were my favorite out of the side-teams in RWBY.

We're totally going to see SSSN again though, since Sun's traveling with Blake during V4 and going into V5.

I believe CRWBY has said recently that we probably won't be seeing the side teams like CFVY and FNKI again. Which is a shame, because I really liked CFVY. They were my favorite out of the side-teams in RWBY.

We're totally going to see SSSN again though, since Sun's traveling with Blake during V4 and going into V5.

Wait seriously? That means all my favorite characters are gone now. :(

Weiss was my least favourite out of the main cast during the first two volumes but now shes # 1. Blake went from first to fourth cause shes such a loser.

Best girls are Coco and Nora.

Noooooo. Im done with this show.

Edit: Velvet seems like a fan fav. Couldnt imagine her not being in the show again.

Wait seriously? That means all my favorite characters are gone now. :(

I think so. I could be wrong, but I think it was something one of them said at a con panel in the past couple of months. Granted, you never know. CFVY could end up making a cameo appearance of some sort down the line. Just don't expect them to play a big role in the story anytime soon.

They could so work them in later on if they so wanted, but with vale in chaos though, I imagine most of the beacon teams are busy trying to restore order as best they can.

But the atlas teams? I can't see why they would not have been recalled to Atlas. If the RWBY crew ever makes it back that way, we should run into some of them.

Would love to see Velvet and company though. Maybe they get sent to get team rwby at some point, or called in to assist with a big fight or something.

It would be interesting to see members of White Fang who aren't one dimensional antagonists. Taurus and the Wonder Twins are the only notable characters of that group.

It would be interesting to see members of White Fang who aren't one dimensional antagonists. Taurus and the Wonder Twins are the only notable characters of that group.

You're forgetting about
Ilia

You will love tomorrow's volume based on that second statement.

Yeah, Nora and Ren are the MVPs of V4 imo. Samantha Ireland is great as Nora.

~

As for RWBY running into CFVY or FNKI down the line, it's possible. It'll probably be a couple of years though before they ever realistically make an appearance again though.

Edwardo

Watching whichever Volume 3 episode is on now. The action seems pretty cool. Might give this a go and start at the beginning.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I hope Neo never appears again.

Wars have been started over far lesser insults good sir.

Other underused characters are the twins from Junior's nightclub. Only used in the Yellow Trailer, and a bit cameo in Vol 2 (despite appearing in the OP).

Neo needs to come back as the head of a gang with the twins as her main enforcers/lieutenants.

Watching whichever Volume 3 episode is on now. The action seems pretty cool. Might give this a go and start at the beginning.

Full marathon for all the seasons is Friday.

Wars have been started over far lesser insults good sir.

Other underused characters are the twins from Junior's nightclub. Only used in the Yellow Trailer, and a bit cameo in Vol 2 (despite appearing in the OP).

Neo needs to come back as the head of a gang with the twins as her main enforcers/lieutenants.

Full marathon for all the seasons is Friday.

I had no idea the twins were in vol 2. I always thought they probably got combined into Neo.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Got home just in time
to see Pyrrha get killed off
, all of my feels. T_T

Not going to lie (end of Vol 4 spoilers)
When Tai gives the choice to Yang to go after Ruby or her mother I was really hoping she was going after Blake.

Me too! But then that wouldn't have made sense as Yang had no clue where Blake had run off to. :(

Last scene of vol 4, I honestly thought she was doing just that, seeing as she was on the boat and all. Really looking forward to the two reuniting in vol 5, hopefully.

I hope they do, and it better be intense as fuck!

SDBurton

Winter: "Thank you for taking an interest in my sister."

Ruby: "Yeah... sure... uh."

*Twitch chat exploded with KappaPrides*

I do hope at some point we get like a mini series about Team STRQ (Stark) from maybe Crow's point of view, I think theres a really interesting story there about how they all ended up going separate directions and what ultimately happened to Summer.

SDBurton

I do hope at some point we get like a mini series about Team STRQ (Stark) from maybe Crow's point of view, I think theres a really interesting story there about how they all ended up going separate directions and what ultimately happened to Summer.

Honestly, I'm guessing one of the volumes of RWBY will be strictly focused on STRQ flashbacks considering how they're looking at 10+ seasons.

Top Bottom