• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

Someone posted this preview from Mirror on reddit. It covers the first couple chapters of the game.

In single player, I managed to battle my way through the first couple of chapters and, my word, this Crytek game is bloody gruesome… and bloody brilliant.

Combat:
It is a pretty simple combat mode - sword attack (x), shield bash (y), evade (b) and block (a). But do not fear... this NOT a button-mashing game. The timing of your combat leads to a flurry of activity which needs careful thought - but results in glorious gore and slashing satisfaction (think Batman Arkham series with a generous sprinkle of Assassin’s Creed).

Combos:
Combos are a key ingredient while fighting and timing your strikes (button colour coordinated taps) leads to more XP and more blood. The pre-animated executions are fantastic and varied enough to make you whoop with joy as you watch an arm go flying.

Another nice touch is the Focus mode which slows down attacks while speeding up your combos. One slightly annoying thing about the executions is that if you get the colour-combo wrong (i.e. hit X instead of Y) you only lose XP, as opposed to your attack being broken up and you having to go again at the bad guy. Only a minor gripe though.

Visuals:
Visually, an Xbox game has never looked so bloody good - or bloody. The battle environments consume you, the fires repel you and the grandeur of Rome envelopes you. Armour glistens in battle, smoke thickens and the blood shimmers as it slides down the glinting swords of Roman centurions.

All this without interruption or frame rates struggling to keep up with madness of war. No lagging, no delayed lip-syncing. Everything is seamless and every soldier is an individual - which looks remarkable when you put hundreds of them together on the battlefield.

All of which makes for a spine-tingling experience which leaves you wanting (much) more.

no worries senjutsu. you and me are tag teaming the fuck out of that colosseum.
we leave NOTHING breathing! ;)

Haha, that should be awesome! Can't wait.

Someone posted this preview from Mirror on reddit. It covers the first couple chapters of the game.

Combat:

Combos:

Visuals:

Chuck_Norris_Approves.gif

One slightly annoying thing about the executions is that if you get the colour-combo wrong (i.e. hit X instead of Y) you only lose XP, as opposed to your attack being broken up and you having to go again at the bad guy.

I'm...okay with this. Not sure how much stock in reviews from The Mirror though...

reKon

Banned
This is just the beginning. I really hope your wrong.

If all Xbox One games looks as graphically impressed as Ryse (taking into account the art style), I wouldn't care if graphics didn't even get any better. Just need the gameplay to go along with the games.

Of course :p
And it is only a preview of the first few chapters of the campaign, doesn't touch on multiplayer or anything else.
Obviously, take it with a grain of salt. We'll find out soon enough.

You're right. Thanks for posting it though, but I just don't trust any of the red tops.

Do you trust Jeuxvideo more? The came to the opposite conclusion these guys did, like the total opposite.

http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/console-microsoft-xbox-one/previews-xbox-one-forza-motorsports-5-ryse-dead-rising-3-killer-instinct-article-600854-1.html
3 hour campaign? Come on now....lol

I'll play it for myself and decide as it's one of the games I'll be getting alongside DR3 next week....hopefully. AndI hadn't heard of Jeuxvideo before that review, so I'm not really sure how reliable they are, etc.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I have this ordered, but not 100% I'm going to pick it up.

The game is worth it for the visuals alone. Every new console needs to be accompanied by at least one show-off game, and for the XBO it's Ryse.

Mdk7

Amazing OP, really beautiful.
Just one minor complaint: as Italian that lily ornament kinda bothers me, since it's very historically inaccurate.
That's definitely a medieval symbol, not something we would ever associate to the Ancient Rome times. :D

The game is worth it for the visuals alone. Every new console needs to be accompanied by at least one show-off game, and for the XBO it's Ryse.
Nah, consoles don't need that. They just need fun games.

I'm looking forward to reading the reviews for this game since opinions are varying wildly.

Doffen

Amazing OP, really beautiful.
Just one minor complaint: as Italian that lily ornament kinda bothers me, since it's very historically inaccurate.
That's definitely a medieval symbol, not something we would ever associate to the Ancient Rome times. :D

I used it to represent how diverse the culture of the roman empire was during this time.
The empire reached across the majority of Europe, and therefor I felt it natural to use one of Europe's most famous design symbols; Fleur-de-lis.

I totally pulled it out of my ass, just to make it pretty

Mdk7

I used it to represent how diverse the culture of the roman empire was during this time.
The empire reached across the majority of Europe, and therefor I felt it natural to use one of Europe's most famous design symbols; Fleur-de-lis.

I totally pulled it out of my ass, just to make it pretty

Bwahahah, probably only a few Italians could tell.
Nevertheless, amazing job buddy, it does look pretty!

Of course :p
And it is only a preview of the first few chapters of the campaign, doesn't touch on multiplayer or anything else.
Obviously, take it with a grain of salt. We'll find out soon enough.

I just want to enjoy the game's story, really come away liking or absolutely hating certain characters (hating them in a good way), and I want the combat, which I already know for a fact I like, to continue feeling fun over the long haul. I want to see nice enemy variety that makes me have to think a bit more, or even sweat just a little bit during the fights, and I'm really, really counting on the executions being as varied as I hope. I already know there's lots of them, since we caught a glimpse of the upgrade tree for executions.

I personally feel that how much a person likes or hates this game will ultimately hinge on how much fun they have using the executions to kill enemies in cool ways, especially the environmental executions. It isn't the only way to fight, but I really like it as a mechanic in this game because it takes enemies that would otherwise be killed no different than how they are in most games of this nature, and actually allows you to turn their death into quite the stylish spectacle with more cinematic scenarios. That's what makes them so awesome for me. You get to pull off moves with camera angles that you would normally only ever see in a cutscene, and I like the idea of not being able to fail them, too.

I think they understand that QTE in a traditional sense aren't hard to begin with. They're rarely, if at all, challenging in any of the games they're in, so no point going that route. You took the effort to make them (executions) look awesome, so let them play out as they should every single time without missed button presses getting in the way. If people really want to get something out of them, they can use them to gain combat bonuses for greater damage, more XP, health restoration and focus restoration. If they want to make things a bit more interesting, turn off the colored prompts that help you decide which buttons to press. That might not seem like an interesting way to add challenge, but you never truly know which execution you'll end up triggering sometimes, and if you aren't as familiar with a certain set of executions, you won't really know which button to press, or when to press it, which could mean the difference between getting that much needed health boost Marius needs to stay alive, and not getting it at all. I can definitely see disabling those prompts making things interesting.

RoKKeR

You can't disable HUD? Are you fucking with me Crytek?

Jesus, you are doing your game a huge disservice.

Game looks solid but I am still very wary about making it a day one purchase.

entremet

Impressive.

And don't get the hate this game has gotten on this board. Looks great.

Jeff Canata was crucified for liking it for example.

I bought Conan on sale for 360 a while back for $5 and while it was pretty simplistic, I loved playing through it.

I bought Ryse for $5 (had some credit card reward points I used for the rest), so I'm hoping it'll fulfill that same bloody combat niche.

Hawk269

I am so looking forward to this game. It just looks amazing. Been playing my PS4 all day today and am loving it, but am looking forward a bit more to some of the games on the Xbox One like Ryse. I am fine if the SP game is 6-8 hours. Would I prefer longer, of course I would. I am curious at what difficulty level they are playing it at for the ones that say it is short?

For example some reviews are bashing Knack for being a bit short, but I am playing on hard and to me, not being the best of players, normal seemed way too easy and I never died. Hard has been perfect and been dying on occasion...to me this added challenge Is welcomed and I wonder if this holds true for Ryse as well.

Top Bottom