• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sadiq Khan first Muslim Mayor of major Western European city - London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Chx4MCcVAAAp4vh.jpg

Didn't Rotterdam get a Muslim mayor many years ago? Still this would be a historic moment.

Yeah and he's an immigrant too. The thread title is a little confusing, had to read it over again to see it referring to London specifically as having the first Muslim mayor. Nonetheless London is a capital and having a Muslim mayor for the first time is a historical moment.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wow. Good for this Sadiq Khan dude. First major muslim politician in the Western world, right? I hope he sets a great example for muslims and shows the rest of the world that not all of us are cunts.

We need more Muslims movie stars, athletes and politicians. Exposure to moderate muslim figures will help fight islamophobia. Amir Khan is fighting in Vegas tomorrow. Should be fun.

CCS

Banned
Good for what it represents and because it means Labour get back control, don't like him though.

London is a bigger deal than Rotterdam you guys. It's like New York, Chicago, LA or Paris electing a Muslim mayor.

Good stuff.

Wow. Good for this Sadiq Khan dude. First major muslim politician in the Western world, right? I hope he sets a great example for muslims and shows the rest of the world that not all of us are cunts.

We need more Muslims movie stars, athletes and politicians. Exposure to moderate muslim figures will help fight islamophobia. Amir Khan is fighting in Vegas tomorrow. Should be fun.

Not not even close to the first major muslim politician. First mayor of london that is a muslim. OP's qualification is hyper specific.

nib95

Banned
What should we need to know about him? Where does he fall short in your opinion?

Now I could be wrong, but based on what I've read or seen, he's more of a Blairite or modern type of Labour candidate (despite nominating Corbyn). He is business/economics orientated and a bit too quick to distance himself from other lefties for political expedience or shielding. Then again, as a Muslim political candidate, especially one running for mayor of London, I suppose that is a necessity in order to ensure his survival or success. Like I said though, I'd still take him over Zac Goldsmith any day of the week.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not not even close to the first major muslim politician. First mayor of london that is a muslim. OP's qualification is hyper specific.

well to be fair, i didnt know about the other two muslim mayors and i try to keep my ears to the ground. No offense to those cities but they are not London or NYC.

Such a shame there's so many career politicians in the Labour Party. They have short memories condemning Corbyn and Livingstone for racism considering their focus on fighting just that.

On a slight side note Michael Dugher is a fucking idiot.

Now I could be wrong, but based on what I've read or seen, he's more of a Blairite or modern type of Labour candidate (despite nominating Corbyn). He is business/economics orientated and a bit too quick to distance himself from other lefties for political expedience or shielding. Then again, as a Muslim political candidate, especially one running for mayor of London, I suppose that is a necessity in order to ensure his survival or success. Like I said though, I'd still take him over Zac Goldsmith any day of the week.

He's a bit of a revisionist too, but we aren't likely to find a candidate who is squeaky clean so we make do. Like you say, if it's him or Goldsmith, I'd pick Khan.

It'll be interesting to see if he really can keep transport costs down and I remain skeptical he will be able to pull it off.

CCS

Banned
He's a bit of a revisionist too, but we aren't likely to find a candidate who is squeaky clean so we make do. Like you say, if it's him or Goldsmith, I'd pick Khan.

It'll be interesting to see if he really can keep transport costs down and I remain skeptical he will be able to pull it off.

The transport costs one is the big policy concern for me. I don't see how he does that without slashing infrastructure spending, and that better not happen.

Mr. Sam

Oh, I desperately hope this isn't the internet age's "Dewey Defeats Truman" moment - Goldsmith ran a despicable campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom