• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sadiq Khan first Muslim Mayor of major Western European city - London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump's response:

"You know, it's a terrible thing what's happening there. Because how do you know? With some of these people, you can't tell. He could be a nice guy; he could be ISIS. You don't know. So to give him control of a London - great city, by the way; I have many properties there - is crazy. But that's what they're going to do. And they're going to hope and pray he isn't making phone calls every day to Syria to talk to the ISIS leaders and tell them the secrets. But maybe he'll be a nice guy. All I'm saying is it's a risk."

Chx4MCcVAAAp4vh.jpg

This seems..extreme?

So what makes this curious for me is that not only will it mean there will be a Muslim mayor for London, but he's a Labour mayor as well, while the Conservatives are in government for the next four years.

Policy talks are gonna get amusing and frustrating, I suspect.

dankir

Drumpf's response:

"You know, it's a terrible thing what's happening there. Because how do you know? With some of these people, you can't tell. He could be a nice guy; he could be ISIS. You don't know. So to give him control of a London - great city, by the way; I have many properties there - is crazy. But that's what they're going to do. And they're going to hope and pray he isn't making phone calls every day to Syria to talk to the ISIS leaders and tell them the secrets. But maybe he'll be a nice guy. All I'm saying is it's a risk."

Did he actually say that???

Are mayors in UK limited to a certain number of terms? I'm really surprised to see Boris Johnson being replaced, I didn't even realize that was a possibility given that it seems like everyone's always liked him.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Are mayors in UK limited to a certain number of terms? I'm really surprised to see Boris Johnson being replaced, I didn't even realize that was a possibility given that it seems like everyone's always liked him.

There aren't term limits, Boris Johnson has been balancing being an MP with being Mayor for a while which is unsustainable long-term. He also has aspirations to become the PM, for which he must be an MP. Ergo, Mayor<MP. Even though I would say that being Mayor of London is a way better role than being an MP.

He chose not to go for re-election. This will be Dodgy Dave's last term as Prime Minister so Boris is probably aiming to be the next Tory leader.

Edit: Beaten like Lib Dems in an election.

There aren't term limits, Boris Johnson has been balancing being an MP with being Mayor for a while which is unsustainable long-term. He also has aspirations to become the PM, for which he must be an MP. Ergo, Mayor<MP. Even though I would say that being Mayor of London is a way better role than being an MP.

He chose not to go for re-election. This will be Dodgy Dave's last term as Prime Minister so Boris is probably aiming to be the next Tory leader.

Edit: Beaten like Lib Dems in an election.

He wants Cameron's job.

Ah thanks, I'm from the US and haven't been keeping up with the UK election cycles.

Zelias

Banned
I think he was shocked that the Mail allowed the article at all and/or the editor didn't think twice about it.
This sort of rancid shit is pretty much the Mail's bread and butter. They thrive on hatred and prejudice, so hardly surprising they would publish this.

For reference, this was the Tories' campaign against him:

edit-10539-1462108241-8.jpg

What a prick....

The best part is how the Tories are so out of touch that they thought nobody would see through the type of BS campaigning the GOP tried against Obama in 2008.

People don't like that shit, unless they're scum.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Trump's response:

Source?

Breakage

I was reading a piece on the Guardian by Yasmin Alibhai-Brown the other day and she thinks Sadiq Khan's election as mayor of London will "demolish" the anti-western narrative put out by Islamic extremists.

She's off her head.

Dabanton

For reference, this was the Tories' campaign against him:

edit-10539-1462108241-8.jpg

I'm still baffled how Zac has basically demolished the years of goodwill and respect he had from people of different political persuasions and fell in with the poisonous politics of Lynton Crosby.

What a goof.

What a prick....

The best part is how the Tories are so out of touch that they thought nobody would see through the type of BS campaigning the GOP tried against Obama in 2008.

People don't like that shit, unless they're scum.

Except the piece is mainly about Jeremy Corbyn and he's not been invited to Sadiq's party tonight. You'd think he'd want to show unity in the party after a garbage piece like that, but he's actually just adding to the divide that the Tories are feasting on.

Armaros

First of all, the poster I was replying to said "First major muslim politician in the Western world, right?" So my response was correct. Secondly, it's not my fault his name is Barrack Hussein Obama. Hussein is the name of the grandson of the Prophet Muhammed. It's like me having name like Jesus McCoy, and then being surprised when people assume I'm Christian. Oh and, we don't get that news channel where I live, so your last point makes no sense.

Oh so you are just obviously trolling now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Thats nonsense. You'd have to be a genuine idiot to not know where Rotterdam is. Its a a famous city because of its port.

I dont know where Rotterdam is. I have heard of the name but before this thread i didnt know.

And I know more than the average person.

danowat

Banned
London gets a Muslim mayor, America could be heading towards a racist president.

What a weird world we're living in.

PJV3

I suppose his first move will be to officially name the city Londonistan.

joking, I voted for him

Rotterdam did first and yes, it is one of the most important cities in Europe.

Obviously London is a bigger deal but let's not undervalue the Dutch city.

Orbis

Good. I work in London but live outside it. I would've voted Khan.

I was at work and thus didn't get to vote... I am not happy about this.
You were at work for 15 hours? You still could've applied for a last minute proxy vote to allow someone else to vote for you. Alternatively register to vote by post in advance if there's a chance you can't vote.

I'm still baffled how Zac has basically demolished the years of goodwill and respect he had from people of different political persuasions and fell in with the poisonous politics of Lynton Crosby.

What a goof.

It would be good if this made this ended his career in politics to be honest. Shameful tactics.

Excellent....

All the pieces are falling into place.

muahahahahahaah

just kidding, I'm happy he was able to win the post

I dont know anything about British politics but congrats to Sadiq Khan. I hope he serves as an inspiration for Muslim youth in Europe.

Sai-kun

Banned
First of all, the poster I was replying to said "First major muslim politician in the Western world, right?" So my response was correct. Secondly, it's not my fault his name is Barrack Hussein Obama. Hussein is the name of the grandson of the Prophet Muhammed. It's like me having name like Jesus McCoy, and then being surprised when people assume I'm Christian. Oh and, we don't get that news channel where I live, so your last point makes no sense.

lmao too soon

Don't really know anything about Khan or even the London Mayoral elections. As a Northerner I happily look at London with the same amount of contempt that London looks at the North. However at least Zac "privilege boy" Goldsmith finally has his answer to this pressing question :-

Zac "please sir may I have another" Goldsmith said:
On Thursday, are we really going to hand the world's greatest city to a a labour party that thinks terrorists are its friends ?

So there you go Zacky boy you got your answer which is "Londoners prefer someone that apparently thinks terrorists are his friends, over YOU"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom