• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sadiq Khan first Muslim Mayor of major Western European city - London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbuktu

If only the people of the British Raj were alive to see this. The descendant of Indians/Pakistani elected to be Mayor of London. One of the most powerful positions in the UK. Barely 70 years from the end of the British Empire in India, a Pakistani is leading the people of London, pretty much behind only the Prime Minister and Queen in power. Unreal. White people itself are a minority in London now, perhaps the second most culturally significant city behind just New York in terms of the West.

I would share your sentiment, but white people are still a majority in London and I would hesitate to say that the mayor of london is more powerful than cabinet minsiters like the Home Secretary and the Chancellor. It is one of the most prominent and visible for sure and it will be interesting having a Labour mayor with a Tory government and how antagonistic it might be. As others said, it's mainly about housing and transport. Neither of the mayors before has done much about housing so the main impact so far has been transport initiatives like oyster cards and boris bikes. Boris only ever called in developers scheme in planning to give them approval. Zadiq might be a bit different in this regard, but we'll see how it goes.

I am 99% certain there have been Muslim mayors of other European cities. That is certainly true of my own home city Leicester (which is one the best examples of positive multicultural integration in the UK).

But I suppose it's not major enough for you.

Hasney

I am 99% certain there have been Muslim mayors of other European cities. That is certainly true of my own home city Leicester (which is one the best examples of positive multicultural integration in the UK).

I think they're Lord Mayors that were Muslim in Leicester in the past, which is largely ceremonial and not as big a deal as a political mayor. You've only had one Mayor of Leicester so far and that's Peter Soulsby.

Madness

Only Paris probably compares to London when it comes to being a world metropolitan city in Europe. This is huge. London was for a long time the world's financial and capital center, surpassed only by New York. Even more so that it is a son of a Pakistani bus driver. 70 years ago British were brutalizing Indians/Pakistanis and now their descendant is leading them as Mayor.

I think they're Lord Mayors that were Muslim in Leicester in the past, which is largely ceremonial and not as big a deal as a political mayor. You've only had one Mayor of Leicester so far and that's Peter Soulsby.

Thank you. But I'm well aware of the political history of the city I was born in.

Only Paris probably compares to London when it comes to being a world metropolitan city in Europe. This is huge. London was for a long time the world's financial and capital center, surpassed only by New York. Even more so that it is a son of a Pakistani bus driver. 70 years ago British were brutalizing Indians/Pakistanis and now their descendant is leading them as Mayor.
Come to Leicester some time and that latter point will not surprise you. It is one of the best examples of positive multicultural integration in the UK, and you're more than welcome to ask the communities here yourself.

But hey... London exceptionalism and all that. Nothing else matters.

Some family friends that live in London are absolutely terrified this is going to cause an increase in antisemitism which was already on the rise. Not necessarily because of Khan himself but also based on the apparent open antisemitic views of some members in the Labour party.

She just being paranoid? Keep in mind I know absolutely zero about England politics or the party members beyond a few tweets I saw from a minute of Googling that didn't look too good.

Some family friends that live in London are absolutely terrified this is going to cause an increase in antisemitism which was already on the rise, not necessarily because of Khan himself but also based on the apparent open antisemitic views of some members in the Labour party.

She just being paranoid? Keep in mind I know absolutely zero about England politics or the party members beyond a few tweets I saw from a minute of Googling that didn't look too good.

I guess that is one way things can go, but when we got a Muslim Mayor in our small little town called Rotterdam (seriously, wtf OP) things seemed to go pretty well even though there is plenty of opposition in the country. Although the situation in the UK may be a lot worse at the moment.

But I doubt it.

Timbuktu

Thank you. But I'm well aware of the political history of the city I was born in.

Come to Leicester some time and that latter point will not surprise you. It is one of the best examples of positive multicultural integration in the UK, and you're more than welcome to ask the communities here yourself.

You know everyone loves Leicester right now, friends of mine from abroad now want to go see the place since it's been put on the map. I am confused about what's upsetting you though, the other guy is right your mayor isn't a minority.

I have to say that race really didn't feature that heavily until Zac Goldsmith made it one, which backfired speatacularly. He campaigned mainly on his not being priviledged background, son of bus driver and all that, compared with Boris or Zac.

Daffy Duck

I'm intrigued by what you mean about positive multicultural integration in Leicester.

Sioen

It doesn't matter if he is muslim. London needs a big change and maybe this will be the right man for the job. Good luck!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Dude, Leicester is nice and all but it isn't fucking London.

Everyone knows London, this is a big deal.

Bold One

Northerners have always had ants in their pants about London, even my brother who spent most of his life in London, moved to Manchester and now he gets pretty salty about London these days,

is there something in the water?

Daffy Duck

Northerners have always had ants in their pants about London, even my brother who spent most of his life in London, moved to Manchester and now he gets pretty salty about London these days,

Years of sipping that Thames water.

Mr. Sam

Greater London is large enough, with a large enough population and economic and political clout, that it could essentially be a country, hence the significance of the mayor and the assembly and hence the significance of this achievement.

I love Leicester but "major European city"? No. Rotterdam, maybe, if you're being liberal as to what "major" is, but in the terms I laid out, no, it doesn't come close.

Leicester's in the Midlands. It's only "north" in the sense that it's north of London. London exceptionalism indeed.

Maledict

London and New York are unique - all the various studies done show that they are the only two 'world cities'. Cities so integrated and vital to the world economy that basically everything in some way links to them.

Most of those studies also put London ahead of New York actually, because it has a larger cultural impact and because whilst New York is the epicenter of finance for the worlds largest economy, London has a wider international finance aspect to it. Either way, both cities are unique in the role they play on the world stage.

Until the UK votes to leave Europe of course, at which point London is screwed... :-(

Kelthink

Some family friends that live in London are absolutely terrified this is going to cause an increase in antisemitism which was already on the rise. Not necessarily because of Khan himself but also based on the apparent open antisemitic views of some members in the Labour party.

The antisemitism row was mostly a way to unsettle Jeremy Corbyn (Labour leader). A lot of hot air and hyberbole.

7aged

The only Jewish person fearing the repercussions of Khan's victory is Zac Goldsmith. The knives are out for him from his own party.

Kickz

I am guessing being anti-Israel is considered anti-semitism by them?

Congrats to Mayor Khan and London itself for overcoming attempts to let racial and religious tensions decide how London should be led.

Sadly though, I am disgusted (but not surprised) to see "Britain First" candidate Paul Golding turn his back during Khan's acceptance speech.

stream_img.jpg

The antisemitism row was mostly a way to unsettle Jeremy Corbyn (Labour leader). A lot of hot air and hyberbole.

How does this party work in terms of relationships and support between party members. I assume it's obviously not a monolith, but would Khan be expected to support whatever Corbyn says and vice versa? Seems different than the politics I'm used to and Google is telling me A LOT of party members are getting suspended over antisemitic remarks (assuming those sources are reliable).

I am guessing being anti-Israel is considered anti-semitism by them?

No, though seeing Israel compared to Nazis definitely doesn't make them feel welcomed and have been planning to get out for a while now, though that's more from actually being victims of hate crimes on more than one occasion recently and not related to who's in office. Now they just assume this will make things worse.

Mr. Sam

How does this party work in terms of relationships and support between party members. I assume it's obviously not a monolith, but would Khan be expected to support whatever Corbyn says and vice versa?

Not really. When Livingstone - the last Labour mayor was in office - he was often at total odds with the parliamentary party. Corbyn and Khan get along alright but they're certainly from different wings of the party.

I think most reasonable people think the antisemitism row was blown totally out of proportion by those eager to damage Labour in the lead-up the election - but the leadership is taking steps to make sure antisemitism in any form is stamped out and the party is effectively policed. Khan, to his credit, has been very vocal on the issue and is from a different wing of the party to the one implicated (i.e. Khan is a firm centrist; those suspected of anti-semitism are from the left).

Livingstone is by far the highest profile person suspected of anti-semitism, though he's basically a retired oddball - Labour's crazy uncle. Most others accused are weirdo activists in the lowest rungs of the party.

You will never, ever see a Labour politician campaign on an anti-semitic platform. Those suspected of prejudice will be immediately suspended and in all likelihood kicked out.

Khan's victory is a victory for those opposed to racism.

Not really. When Livingstone - the last Labour mayor was in office - he was often at total odds with the parliamentary party. Corbyn and Khan get along alright but they're certainly from different wings of the party.

I think most reasonable people think the antisemitism row was blown totally out of proportion by those eager to damage Labour in the lead-up the election - but the leadership is taking steps to make sure antisemitism in any form is stamped out and the party is effectively policed. Khan, to his credit, has been very vocal on the issue and is from a different wing of the party to the one implicated (i.e. Khan is a firm centrist; those suspected of anti-semitism are from the left).

Livingstone is by far the highest profile person suspected of anti-semitism, though he's basically a retired oddball - Labour's crazy uncle. Most others accused are weirdo activists in the lowest rungs of the party.

You will never, ever see a Labour politician campaign on an anti-semitic platform. Those suspected of prejudice will be immediately suspended and in all likelihood kicked out.
Yep, this correct so far as I see it. CosmicBlizzard, remember that minor things are always blown way out of proportion by opposition parties no matter where in the world you are, I'm sure you can think of multiple examples from your own set of parties.

Heh, I never heard of Britain's First before. Seem like a UK Trump party but without the charisma or the numbers needed to fall for their shit. Are they like UKIP?

Congrats to Mayor Khan and London itself for overcoming attempts to let racial and religious tensions decide how London should be led.

Sadly though, I am disgusted (but not surprised) to see "Britain First" candidate Paul Golding turn his back during Khan's acceptance speech.

stream_img.jpg

who is the guy on the far right as well!?

First time my votes ever worked, I was chatting to a friend about the 2nd choice and figured it was to see how people leaned (or if something went horribly wrong and kahn had to step down?)
Interesting to see loads of people went to Green

Heh, I never heard of Britain's First before. Seem like a UK Trump party but without the charisma or the numbers needed to fall for their shit. Are they like UKIP?

They're worse than UKIP. They still say they're not racist but bloody hell, they are racist. Watch this if you want to find out more. I remember it being a pretty good documentary. Thankfully they get near zero support.

who is the guy on the far right as well!?
I believe that is Ankit Love of the One Love Party.

Newline

What people seem to be missing in this thread is that Khan was elected as mayor. That didn't happen in Rotterdam. It's absolutely massive that a Muslim can be elected mayor of one of the biggest financial capitals in the world. In a city that has only a 14% Muslim population (of which most are under voting age). Incredible day.

Jezbollah

It goes to show that a politician, holding a sensible campaign with policy that appeals to the middle ground can gain a lot of support from the voters who shy away from fear first tactics.

I wonder if Khan's party leader will be taking notes? ;)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It goes to show that a politician, holding a sensible campaign with policy that appeals to the middle ground can gain a lot of support from the voters who shy away from fear first tactics.

I wonder if Khan's party leader will be taking notes? ;)

There's nothing to learn. If he pivots to the centre, nobody will believe him and he'll alienate his current support. Jeremy Corbyn means a certain brand of politics, now.

Jumeira

Banned

stream_img.jpg

Shameful behaviour but the response to this on Twitter is hilarious.

Seems like some Tories are furious wih Zac tactic to discredit Sadiq, will be interesting to see how this pans out, I don't think he's an islamaphobe, his nephews are British Pakistanis which makes his manouver against Khan even more puzzling.

Timbuktu

Seems like some Tories are furious wih Zac tactic to discredit Sadiq, will be interesting to see how this pans out, I don't think he's an islamaphobe, his nephews are British Pakistanis which makes his manouver against Khan even more puzzling.

Zac's campaign had few disasters before that and became increasingly desperate. I don't understanding him backing Brexit when London is probably the most likely of all places in Britain to lean towards Remain. He also have major gaffs when interviewed in a cab on BBC and appeared clueless when asked rather easy general questions about tube stations and a football team in the city. Then also claimed to be a 'fan of Bollywood' when trying to pander to the asian community and then couldn't name any bollywood film or actor. He was doing ok until the last few months.

part of me doesn't think Goldsmith is anywhere near Britain First/BNP/UKIP tier, but his campaign management led him down that road believing that it would get them the votes they needed in the suburban boroughs.

They probably felt that the demography that normally voted Tory was going to end up losing votes to those other 3 and decided to court them using their same means. Regardless, he still went a long with it and played his part so shame on him.

I think the world has a real problem today where people have the social media outrage but do no action to actually fight something. Just glad to see that enough people saw it for what it is and actually chose to take a stand and vote against it.

On a sidenote: its funny to me that those BNP/UKIP/Britain First type organisations all pretty much believe similar things yet (thankfully) don't seem to be willing to join each other. but enough of the sentiment is there for me to feel that the Brexit vote is going to end up being much closer than anyone would think and that there will be a lot of tension after regardless of what side "wins"

Humidex

Was it really all Goldsmith though? The campaign seemed to have the grubby, grubby hands of 'Sir' Lynton all over it.

Lead

Banned
The average person couldn't tell you what country Rotherdam is in
Maybe it's because I'm not that far from the Netherlands, but I couldn't imagine someone not knowing where Rotterdam is if I asked them.

I guess people from eastern or southern Europe wouldn't know.

Maybe it's because I'm not that far from the Netherlands, but I couldn't imagine someone not knowing where Rotterdam is if I asked them.

I guess people from eastern or southern Europe wouldn't know.

People from outside of Europe also.

Some people couldn't even tell you the Netherlands is a country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom