• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sadiq Khan first Muslim Mayor of major Western European city - London

Status
Not open for further replies.

trembli0s

Strange metric you are using there. Would you say Madrid is more "important" than Paris or Rome?

All 3 of those happen to be country capitols with the homes of their respective governments there. It's not quite on the same plane as a Barcelona would be either.

Maybe Marseille is a better analogue, and while it's large, I wouldn't consider it an "important" city necessarily

Bold One

Now we wait for the ray guns.

My research team got their hands on a prototype

This is what we know so far -

MTI4OTg1NzM0MTMxNTMzODM0.jpg

iceatcs

I don't think he is very muslim because his wife don't wear headscarf or he don't have bruse on his forehead.

Strange metric you are using there. Would you say Madrid is more "important" than Paris or Rome?

I think using port size as a metric as to whether a city is a "major" one or not is even more of a strange Metric. For example Paris doesn't even have a port really. Is it not a major city?

Roi

Rotterdam the second biggest city in Holland, the metropolitan area has around 1.4 million people. How can people say it's not a major western European city?!

gogogow

I think using port size as a metric as to whether a city is a "major" one or not is even more of a strange Metric. For example Paris doesn't even have a port really. Is it not a major city?

No it's not. People are saying even though it's not the biggest in size and/or population, it's still important because Rotterdam has the biggest port in Europe and 3rd biggest in the world. That factor makes Rotterdam a major city. Paris not having a port doesn't mean it can't be a major city, maybe it has something else going for it.

The OP said Rotterdam isn't a major city because it's not in the top 30 biggest cities in EU. He then links a website which shows Moscow being the biggest in Europe...

milanbaros

Member?
The OP said Rotterdam isn't a major city because it's not in the top 30 biggest cities in EU. He then links a website which shows Moscow being the biggest in Europe...

They are two entirely separate comments. Both are true. Not top 30 in EU. 73rd in Europe. What is hard to understand?

I think you are making my point really. What makes a city important isn't 1 universal metric. There are various factors on why a city is important or not. Being a center of trade, culture, or politics are good indicators.

gogogow

They are two entirely separate comments. Both are true. Not top 30 in EU. 73rd in Europe. What is hard to understand?

It's very hard to understand how you come up with these metrics. It's not in the top 30 in EU so it's not a major city!

Why top 30 and not top 40, top 50, top 100? Is the "top 30 biggest city in Europe" some kind of official way to measure whether a city is considered major?
Hell, I can say it's in the top 40 in EU. Rotterdam is ranked 37th biggest city in the EU. There you go, a major city it is!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Wow. Good for this Sadiq Khan dude. First major muslim politician in the Western world, right? I hope he sets a great example for muslims and shows the rest of the world that not all of us are cunts.

We need more Muslims movie stars, athletes and politicians. Exposure to moderate muslim figures will help fight islamophobia. Amir Khan is fighting in Vegas tomorrow. Should be fun.

Umm, Obama was elected in 2008, Sadiq wouldn't be the first. Also, the mayors of Calgary Canada, and Rotterdam Netherlands are also Muslim.

milanbaros

Member?
It's very hard to understand how you come up with these metrics. It's not in the top 30 in EU so it's not a major city!

Why top 30 and not top 40, top 50, top 100? Is the "top 30 biggest city in Europe" some kind of official way to measure whether a city is considered major?
Hell, I can say it's in the top 40 in EU. Rotterdam is ranked 37th biggest city in the EU. There you go, a major city it is!

Yes, of course you can. I've already explained it is subjective. However, my title is easily defensible. It isn't wrong and it illustrates a point well.

I don't understand why people are so angry at this classification. London is one of the most important cities in the world. No matter how you classify it, Rotterdam is not on the same level.

itsgreen

Yes, of course you can. I've already explained it is subjective. However, my title is easily defensible. It isn't wrong and it illustrates a point well.

I don't understand why people are so angry at this classification. London is one of the most important cities in the world. No matter how you classify it, Rotterdam is not on the same level.

I would consider Rotterdam a major Western European City.

Moosichu

Yeah, it's crazy how many people don't know that there are a quite a number of Muslims holding political office here in the West. Canada elected quite a few Muslims into Parliament this past election as well.

Obama is a Christian. You know that right?

gogogow

Wait. What?! Now people are angry when they don't agree with you? I'm out.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Umm, Obama was elected in 2008, Sadiq wouldn't be the first. Also, the mayors of Calgary Canada, and Rotterdam Netherlands are also Muslim.

1. Western EUROPEAN - read better.
2. Obama identifies as Christian. Stop watching Faux News. SMH.

steamingsarcasm

Neo Member
Don't know anything about him so I'll reserve from talking about him specifically, but HELL YES at what he represents.
I don't think he is very muslim because his wife don't wear headscarf or he don't have bruse on his forehead.
I heard he's only like 30% muslim by the Sharia Law scale of islamic concentration. Shame.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
1. Western EUROPEAN - read better.
2. Obama identifies as Christian. Stop watching Faux News. SMH.

First of all, the poster I was replying to said "First major muslim politician in the Western world, right?" So my response was correct. Secondly, it's not my fault his name is Barrack Hussein Obama. Hussein is the name of the grandson of the Prophet Muhammed. It's like me having name like Jesus McCoy, and then being surprised when people assume I'm Christian. Oh and, we don't get that news channel where I live, so your last point makes no sense.

berzeli

Banned
How will this dissuade radicalization (in the west)?

I'm sorry, but what the fuck are you on about?

Are muslims not allowed to do anything unless it contributes towards de-radicalising extremists? Is this the metric we should be using whenever a muslim achieves something, "Congratulations on your win Mo Farah, now how will this dissuade radicalization (in the west)?".
There is nothing scary about a Muslim holding office, there is nothing to suggest that this somehow will contribute to radicalisation, and I'm going to bring this back to my original point; what the fuck are you on about?

I have no clue about the UK scene.

Found this on Twitter, makes for an interesting read, can't vouch for it's veracity though.

*nonsense removed*
Then don't post it.

For those of you curious other articles on that website:
Fortress Europe Faces An African Migrant Tsunami - which is exactly the type of xenophobic idiocy the title promises
Trump May Be Bad, But What Comes Next Will Be Worse - which is about how Bernie Sanders is the devil. Well technically about how the ideology of Sanders is worse than Trump.
A Fascist Coup In Poland? Give Us Poles A Break - which is also living up to its title by hand-waving away any and all criticism of the increasingly fascist actions of the Law and Justice party as "hysteria" on the left.

Is it that difficult to do the most cursory of research before posting? The article in question is unsourced scaremongering bullshit coming from a magazine which has as its mission statement to "to celebrate our civilization" (emphasis mine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom