• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sadiq Khan first Muslim Mayor of major Western European city - London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly though, I am disgusted (but not surprised) to see "Britain First" candidate Paul Golding turn his back during Khan's acceptance speech.

stream_img.jpg
Paul Golding sucks at Simon Says.

krang

I feel like I'm the only person who feels that this sort of thing isn't something worth celebrating. As in, it's no more or less important than someone of any other faith or descent taking up a position in power.

We're a multi-cultural society, so this is just yet another politician that I largely don't agree with.

I feel like I'm the only person who feels that this sort of thing isn't something worth celebrating. As in, it's no more or less important than someone of any other faith or descent taking up a position in power.

We're a multi-cultural society, so this is just yet another politician that I largely don't agree with.

its not really that he is a muslim per se. Its that he, as a muslim was able to overcome rivals who indulged in petty race/religion bating tactics to try and gain voters.

as someone earlier in the thread stated: A victory for Khan here is a victory for those who oppose that racism.

EDIT: of Goldings twitter thrashing, these two were my favourites

Touching scene of tolerance and respect as Paul Golding turns to face Mecca as Sadiq Khan is declared London Mayor

Britain First's Paul Golding may have turned his back on Sadiq Khan, but the entire city of London turned theirs on him. The scumbag.

If we're such a multi-cultural society then how come it took this long for it to be a first? Racism isn't over. Minorities are still persecuted. It's kind of a big deal that you have the son of a bus driver and not part of a uber wealthy family become the Mayor, and that he's pro-LGBT more so than previous mayors (Boris Johnson hadn't attended Pride parade since 2010) or other candidates which means more police to monitor hate crimes and better housing for LGBT youth who are kicked out and end up homeless. He understands the struggles. It's kind of rare from a muslim figure and is something to celebrate.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Racist groups etc on Facebook n twitter going round saying Khan's family are extremists related to isis etc.

Ffs

If we're such a multi-cultural society then how come it took this long for it to be a first? Racism isn't over. Minorities are still persecuted. It's kind of a big deal that you have the son of a bus driver and not part of a uber wealthy family become the Mayor, and that he's pro-LGBT more so than previous mayors (Boris Johnson hadn't attended Pride parade since 2010) or other candidates which means more police to monitor hate crimes and better housing for LGBT youth who are kicked out and end up homeless. He understands the struggles. It's kind of rare from a muslim figure and is something to celebrate.

What about Red Ken? He is a working class bloke with a history of supporting anti-racism and LGBT causes. It's only Boris who came from a wealthy family.

Madness

Just say what you want to say and don't be disengenuous. If you can't understand how huge this is, then that says a lot about you. London has a Muslim mayor. London has a mayor who is the son of a Pakistani bus driver. The British had colonized and ruled over British India for centuries and now a descendant of the colonized leads the colonizers in their largest and most famous city. It is like saying what is so historic about Obama being elected.

It is unprecedented and historic. And with the way London demographics are going Sadiq is the first but won't be the last. Think of it. Think of what the Church of England means for the the UK and Britons in history and now think that a Muslim leads London.

RedShift

He's only the third mayor London's ever had, I don't think it's that crazy we've never had a Muslim mayor before.

Par Score

As happy as I am that Khan won, and that the bellend from Britain First got the square root of fuck all support, I'm even happier that the scummy, racist, dog-whistling Islamophobia that passed for the Tory campaign was such an utter, abject failure.

The ES is basically the Tories' Pravda at this point, I wouldn't use it to line a bird cage.

Crispy75

I don't get it.

The first image is the Standard's front page when Conservative Boris Johson won the mayoral election in 2008, beating Labour's Ken Livingstone (following a ridiculously biased coverage of the contest). The second image is their front page when Sadiq Khan won yesterday, following similarly biased coverage.

The point is that the Standard is an unashamedly Conservative paper. It is given away free in the evening at nearly every tube station and carries considerable influence.

slider

I found The Standard's respective coverage of Goldsmith and Khan sickening.

Edit: I mean in terms of the unabashed bias.

Jackpot

Banned
I don't get it.

The Evening Standard is literally a tory mouthpiece according to actual research.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/apr/27/london-evening-standard-tory-mouthpiece-zac-goldsmith

London Evening Standard is 'Tory mouthpiece' – research

Media Reform Coalition says free newspaper shows overwhelming bias towards Conservative Zac Goldsmith

Thirteen out of 15 official press releases from the Goldsmith campaign released during the two months to 12 April were published as news stories in the paper, “reproducing headlines from the news release virtually verbatim”, according to the study produced by the Media Reform Coalition and Goldsmiths University of London.

There were almost twice as many positive headlines about Goldsmith than for his Labour rival Sadiq Khan, who was the subject of twice as many negative headlines. What’s more, Khan’s press releases were far less frequently covered.

The research, published on Wednesday night, stopped well before Tuesday’s front page story trumpeting David Cameron’s view that “Britain will pay the price if Sadiq Khan is elected mayor”.

Religion and politics don't mix... So I certainly hope that he won't. I have no idea which, if any, religion our politicians ascribe to and they would never advertise it either.

The only people to bring up his religion as a major point have been those opposing him.

No, just no. This is important.

Shameful behaviour but the response to this on Twitter is hilarious.

Seems like some Tories are furious wih Zac tactic to discredit Sadiq, will be interesting to see how this pans out, I don't think he's an islamaphobe, his nephews are British Pakistanis which makes his manouver against Khan even more puzzling.

Only because it didn't work. The same racism and scare tactics are commonplace throughout the entire party.

peely

Neo Member

I only use the ES for paint-related jobs, so I can't comment as to the content (and bias), but I remember on Friday leaving the office with no winner declared (but Sadiq ahead) and seeing that front page as I got to the tube. So this feels to me like comparing a special edition of the paper with it's regular run.

However I don't think "West End Final" means anything on the paper these days. I see people reading different front pages of the same paper during the same tube journey and every edition is always the West End Final.

Anyways, happy that Sadiq won. The Tory campaign, including Cameron's involvement, was a disgrace.

Not

Banned
He was elected? Oh this is fantastic! For a short time a week and a half ago I was caught up in your politics and free evening newspapers on trains, London

The front pages mean nothing but every time I saw the Standard over someone's shoulder over the preceding weeks it was either a Kahn smear piece or some Goldsmith praise piece. Scum.

Xun

The first image is the Standard's front page when Conservative Boris Johson won the mayoral election in 2008, beating Labour's Ken Livingstone (following a ridiculously biased coverage of the contest). The second image is their front page when Sadiq Khan won yesterday, following similarly biased coverage.

The point is that the Standard is an unashamedly Conservative paper. It is given away free in the evening at nearly every tube station and carries considerable influence.
Free newspapers should be banned from having any sort of clear political bias.

It's incredibly damaging.

Means nothing

At the time that Friday front page was printed (Friday early afternoon) the results weren't out yet.

The front page even instructs you to watch the results for London Mayor come in on their website as the results weren't ready for print.

Yeah false premise for that image comparison.

Not to say the ES isn't a conservative paper though.

I'm glad he's won, he's better for working and middle class voters and he's progressive on social issues too. It's nice to see a Muslim in politics who's not afraid to be socially progressive especially when it comes to LGBT rights.

RedShift

Means nothing

At the time that Friday front page was printed (Friday early afternoon) the results weren't out yet.

The front page even instructs you to watch the results for London Mayor come in on their website as the results weren't ready for print.

Last time they ran with 'Boris on the verge of victory' on Friday.

It was way more clear that Khan would win. Short of ever Green voter deciding they'd back Goldsmith or something.

Means nothing

Nonsense. The day before the election their headline was about Zac Goldsmith. At the time of printing Khan was ahead, and on course to win.

Audioboxer

Religion and politics don't mix, so it makes me uncomfortable that his is such a big issue.

Religion should be kept out of politics and law, end of. Khan should be judged on his policy and handling of politics going forward not his ideological belief system of choice. Only way that should catch flak and scrutiny is if he chooses to use it as the basis of governing as mayor.

That would be dangerous as pretty much every religion marginalises some minority, gender or class.

mclem

Not that I particularly want to defend that rag, but doesn't the latter picture mention in the little boxout that the result hadn't been declared yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom