• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sally Yates testifies before Senate subcmte re: Flynn/Russ today 2:30EST (livestream)

tbm24

That's... an interesting take out of all of this. Hell, everyone was pretty damn careful to not try to throw Trump in with all of this as opposed to just nailing Flynn.

I honestly think Trump did not or could not 100% follow the unmasking discussion.
Clearly he didn't follow any of it to come to these conclusions. Trump was likely sitting at the edge of his seat when the republicans kept asking the same question telling himself THIS IS IT.

Is everybody supposed to recap for people that can't be bothered to watch? I missed it as well, so I backed up the stream.

No need to be a dick about it, some people have jobs and we can't just sit around watching and rewatching videos or anything with sound. Like five of us too the time to thank those who were transcribing events for those of us unable to watch at work before it even started. I can browse GAF at work cause it's noiseless but I can't watch a live stream of a damned senate hearing.

In your eyes what's the opposite of a liberal? Your comment comes off as aggressively partisan when you resort to what reads like petty mudslinging.

What's the opposite of CSI Miami? Liberalism is a set of enlightenment ideas that came into power in opposition to feudal monarchy:
- freedom of religion
- freedom of speech
- equality under the law
- capitalist market economy

I agree with all of these except for capitalist markets.

Protome

Anyone kind of scared for the people who did the "unmasking"?

GOP weren't even being convert on their desire for a witch hunt to find them.
Yates' testimony somewhat heavily implied there was no unmasking, that the intelligence agency who gathered the information gave it to the DOJ with names.

Basically this is what happened:

1) Yates told the White House about the Flynn concerns at least three times
2) GOP does not care what is being leaked, but only about the leaker
3) Reporting unclassified information to the press is, believe it or not, not leaking
4) Ted Cruz got bodied
5) Most of the GOP used this hearing as an opportunity to attack Yates about the travel ban. Only one Republican asked about the Russian influence.

So what you're saying is nothing of importance happened as any information said was already known

These hearings have been embarrassing

MechaX

Clearly he didn't follow any of it to come to these conclusions. Trump was likely sitting at the edge of his seat when the republicans kept asking the same question telling himself THIS IS IT.

That is pretty much the only thing I can think of, because I absolutely cannot follow Trump's thought process for this.

So what you're saying is nothing of importance happened as any information said was already known

These hearings have been embarrassing

Not necessarily; there was no bomb shell, but the fact that Yates informed WH three times about this and is canned on the day that she was set to meet with more officials about it is not a good look.

Too bad 2 hours of it was just absolute fuckery about the travel ban and fucking DNC emails.

After taking a quick venture to Fox News, a lot of people in the comments are saying that Clapper noting that he did not know any evidence of collusion = there was in fact no collusion between Team Trump and Russia. There... are multiple layers of mental gymnastics needed to reach this conclusion (a big stopping point is that even thought Clapper himself may not know, Comey is investigating something), but for the most part, it's just going to serve as talking point fuel for all sides at the moment.

Protome

Didn't claps say there was one? And then they asked if he would talk about it later?
I thought he only said he could point them to the right places to get information about if there was one, not that there was. He wouldnt have been there at the time an unmasking happened anyway, would he?

https://twitter.com/RoguePOTUSStaff/status/861678799527841793

Take it with a grain of salt, but so far that account hasn't been debunked as being a fake account. At least not that I've heard of.

I would take that twitter account with a HUGE grain of salt.

Not quite. He doesn't work for the DNI anymore. How could he possibly know what they have evidence of anymore?

That too, but he didn't really confirm or deny if the Obama admin ever found evidence of Trump himself colluding with the Russians.

KHarvey16

Didn't claps say there was one? And then they asked if he would talk about it later?

I thought he only said he could point them to the right places to get information about if there was one, not that there was. He wouldnt have been there at the time an unmasking happened anyway, would he?

I believe he said yes to the question about whether or not he had requested unmasking of Trump or anyone associated with his campaign.

What does this even mean?

We all knew how both of them would react. It's a sign of starting with a conclusion, which they've both done.

No. He basically just did the usual "cannot confirm nor deny because it is an ongoing investigation".

Of course he didn't.
So this Fox News article is flat out lying?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ailed-clapper-knocks-collusion-narrative.html

Clapper admitted he also was not initially aware of the FBI’s counterintelligence probe into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election. But he said if there was any evidence of collusion, it “didn’t reach the evidentiary bar” needed for an intelligence assessment issued earlier this year. Clapper, further, reiterated that his team could not corroborate the contents of an infamous anti-Trump dossier that was shared with officials earlier this year.

RoguePOTUSStaff has long been discredited as actually being someone in the WH. It's probably someone on the outside, at best, and a fake account entirely at worst.

Just so we're all clear, this twitter account isn't any more or less likely to be accurate than sugarhigh's "sources" that Yates was the leak. I think that should be the point of it wasnt ol

RoguePOTUSStaff has long been discredited as actually being someone in the WH. It's probably someone on the outside, at best, and a fake account entirely at worst.

The biggest red flag for RPS being a fake account is that they regularly berate the reader.

I could give less of a shit about someone accusing them of being Russian because they abbreviate.

KHarvey16

Yeah, but not reaching the bar for an investigation earlier this year is a pretty severe claim, given that they'd had these documents for 6 months at that point.

He said he was speculating. Clapper didn't even know the FBI was conducting an investigation while he worked for the government, so obviously he has no idea what evidence they have.

It didn't reach the evidentiary bar until around the time the FBI started agreeing with the CIA's assessment about the Russians.

Also, I'm pretty sure that he specified his answer to be specifically about evidence proving Trump was proven to have colluded. He didn't say that it never got to the evidentiary bar with Trump's associates during his tenure.

He said he was speculating. Clapper didn't even know the FBI was conducting an investigation while he worked for the government, so obviously he has no idea what evidence they have.

Don't forget that his answer was specifically about information on whether TRUMP HIMSELF had colluded with the Russians.

The parts of the Dossier that pertained to Page were clearly corroborated to some degree or else the FBI wouldn't have been able to get a FISA warrant on Page.

What Clapper had access to during his tenure is likely to be completely different in context and meaning to the current investigators.

Fox News isn't lying, but this is why so many people are jumping on the "no evidence of collusion!" line of thought.

His comments are qualified by as of Jan 20 which was his last day im a position to know. He also said multiole times that this is a very serious investigation that needs to be completed.

Thanks guys. I was just looking for clarification since I didn't get to watch the hearing. :)

Furyous

So is this administration really untouchable?

Yes, it is untouchable because and unless:

Because fuck facts due to his supporters dismissing every piece of negative news as BS
Because his supporters don't consume any media that reports actually non positive slanted news
Because Republicans do everything in their power to stonewall the investigation turning it into a farce.
Unless Muslims receive religious freedom protection on par with christians
Unless single payer healthcare passes both house and senate.
Unless Trump signs a bill giving all rights to the LGBTQIA community

I want this to matter and for Trump to be investigated and hopefully charged with impeachment but Republicans will not allow this to happen. Trump's approval rating could reach 5 percent and he'd still maintain his hold on the Presidency.

So is this administration really untouchable?

I don't know what people expected, but it's not like today was ever going to end in people being dragged away in handcuffs.

Manage your expectations. Nothing will "happen" until the FBI investigation is over, at least if your definition of something happening involves impeachment and prosecution. These things take time. This needs to take time, because it absolutely has to be ironclad.

I can see why bringing Clapper in might be seen as detrimental to the whole effort, since his knowledge of evidence is pretty limited and mostly speaks from his prior expertise. Yet, they did need someone to prevent the GOP from 100% dogpiling Yates for loving the constitution over Trump. Plus, he really tried to voice how utterly nonsensical the leakmasking obsession is. The problem is that he wasn't savvy enough to phrase his guarded answers in a way that couldn't be twisted into a declaration of innocence.

Dirca

I don't know what people expected, but it's not like today was ever going to end in people being dragged away in handcuffs.

Manage your expectations. Nothing will "happen" until the FBI investigation is over, at least if your definition of something happening involves impeachment and prosecution. These things take time. This needs to take time, because it absolutely has to be ironclad.
And there's your sign. Call it a hunch, and I've been wrong before, but Trump isn't going anywhere....at least not in the next 3.5 years. He'll throw people to the wolves and under the bus, but nothing will happen to him. His worst case will be a landslide loss in a re-election bid.

Top Bottom