• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

samal bits for yurop

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

Wouldn't changing the country back to America disable the Japanese games? Am I required to go back n forth whenever I want to play different region games?

nkakHMO.jpg

All sounds right expect buying. You won't be able to just make up a billing address during purchsses. It would have to match the address your credit or debit card was registered to.

One way you could do it is buy foreign points cards off eBay (using paypal) from the country your XBL account is registered, and use the codes.
You are probably right. They mention that points cards work as well, but the currency has to be correct. So if you want to buy from the Spanish store you need Euros.

nib95

Banned
thats because its not negative news

Not really. It's because it's not big news in and of itself. Even CBoat made that clear with the thread title.

Probably would have been a bit more busy if it was negative, but not much more, unless it was something terrible. Likewise, if it was something really positive (no more forced Kinect or a price drop), thread would be manic.

Durante

This is actually a huge improvement -- being able to freely switch DD regions is almost as good as region free. Basically, it is like PS3, just without the need for multiple accounts for different regions. The annoying payment issue remains though.

MCD

This is actually a huge improvement -- being able to freely switch DD regions is almost as good as region free. Basically, it is like PS3, just without the need for multiple accounts for different regions. The annoying payment issue remains though.

Points/Gift cards are the only solution.

Caayn

I guess I'm moving my pre-order to Germany then. Since it won't affect me in the slightest when the NL marketplace comes online.

MMaRsu

Banned
I guess I'm moving my pre-order to Germany then. Since it won't affect me in the slightest when the NL marketplace comes online.

Except that if Xbones are hard to come by, you still might not get one till late 2013.

Might as well get a PS4 at that point.

Caayn

Except that if Xbones are hard to come by, you still might not get one till late 2013.

Might as well get a PS4 at that point.
Late 2013 is still earlier than somewhere in 2014. PS4 is already sold out here in The Netherlands. New pre-orders aren't guaranteed for 2013 delivery anymore. So getting a PS4 doesn't help, besides I prefer the X1 over the PS4.

MCD

The only difference between actually moving between countries and switching regions in the settings menu is the console's IP address. I hope it's like the PS3 and IPs don't come into play.

I could see IP cock blocking for apps/movies/music but games should be OK unless Germany bans a specific game.

jtm33

Neo Member
Incorrect. Amazon requires them to be the same too. That's what the definition of a billing address is... Don't think that is too terribly hard to understand.

No they don't. I can use an Australian credit card on Amazon with a fake US address no problems.

I just bought a US PSN online code from them 30 minutes ago with that card.

Sure seems like it ain't so simple to understand.

Plus I have bought hundreds of things online not using my current address. The only time it doesn't work is if a retailer restricts cards to specific regions and your card isn't from that country. That is it. They have never checked my exact address against my card in my experience.

2San

So if I have a foreign pre-paid card, can I then effectively buy games from other regions? If so I'm getting the X1 for sure.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
interesting, and nicely open for importers. I guess this lets the really keen early adopters get theirs (and keep the noise down) while the mass market will simply wait.

Athough given stocks are likely to be low across Europe, I doubt any major stores will be advertising the fact you can import.

Really good news about the locale thing.

was his Gamescom thing next week supposed to be good news? I didn't think he was specific.

Omikaru

Even though PS3 and PS4 are super import friendly, it sounds like Xbox One is import friendlier.

What a drastic u-turn from the worst case scenario DRM dogshit they tried to force on us mere months ago.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder if this openness is down to technical limitations? i.e flipping the DRM switch at the last minute means maybe they simply can't enforce any region restrictions on discs as it was all going to be online.

Still good - especially for those in countries like Japan which got screwed on region locked 360 games.

2San

This document does explain why MS is so vague at times. If their internal messaging is unclear then it makes sense that MS's messaging to the outside is vague as well.

Omikaru

First time in History an hardware manufacturer incenteives import?

I don't think they'll be actively encouraging imports any time soon, but if an importer wrote a wishlist, Xbox One has pretty much fulfilled every item.

This + Kinect-less SKU + £249-£299 price point + more games than Dead Rising 3 (which appeal to me) will be the tipping point for me on this system, as opposed to a few months ago where I wasn't even considering one ever.

Krilekk

Banned
Huh, so Xbox Live isn't region locked either?
Seems like you can legitimately import an Xbox One and get the full experience.

Looks like it's just like now except you can't switch easily to the UK anymore because of no points. Region locking for content is still there.

test_account

XP-39C²
If a user moves to another country, cant he/she chose their language for the dashboard? If you move from Germany to France, cant you still have german dashboard, but french region?

Myshkin

Looks smooth. Good work.
Now just don't discontinue those points cards!

was his Gamescom thing next week supposed to be good news? I didn't think he was specific.

Not specific. Hopefully he does a preview like for E3.

It will be good news if someone is doing a remake of 688 Attack Sub!

Caayn

If a user moves to another country, cant he/she chose their language for the dashboard? If you move from Germany to France, cant you still have german dashboard, but french region?
I hope that It's possible. I live in The Netherlands and the translations that MS uses for the Xbox 360 are bad and rather annoying.

Raist

Banned
Incorrect. Amazon requires them to be the same too. That's what the definition of a billing address is... Don't think that is too terribly hard to understand.

I bought a $50 US PSN voucher on amazon.com literally 2 weeks ago, using a hotel in Alaska as my billing address on the website, paying with my UK Visa debit for which my billing address is obviously my real address in the UK. For some reason, Amazon (and a few other online merchants) bypasses any kind of billing address, and even password checks.

Back when I was living in France, I used a french Visa card (which again had my real address linked to it), on the US PSN store directly, which I had signed up for with a fake address in the US in some state I can't remember anymore. I don't know if that would still work (doesn't with my UK card hence the use of amazon, but I don't know if it's because Sony tightened things up or because UK banks are more strict).

So yeah, you're completely wrong.

Raist

Banned
Can somebody explain what he means by bidet. Still haven't figured it out....

orion_bidet_normal.jpg

A bidet (US /bɨˈdeɪ/ or UK /ˈbiːdeɪ/) is a low-mounted plumbing fixture or type of sink intended for washing the genitalia, inner buttocks, and anus. Bidet is a French loanword. A special type of bidet is used for washing the feet. It comes from an ancient Spanish tradition before pedicure salons were created.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

medze

I bought a $50 US PSN voucher on amazon.com literally 2 weeks ago, using a hotel in Alaska as my billing address on the website, paying with my UK Visa debit for which my billing address is obviously my real address in the UK. For some reason, Amazon (and a few other online merchants) bypasses any kind of billing address, and even password checks.

Back when I was living in France, I used a french Visa card (which again had my real address linked to it), on the US PSN store directly, which I had signed up for with a fake address in the US in some state I can't remember anymore. I don't know if that would still work (doesn't with my UK card hence the use of amazon, but I don't know if it's because Sony tightened things up or because UK banks are more strict).

So yeah, you're completely wrong.

Well, even though everything I've read online regarding Amazon says different, I will accept your anecdotal evidence.

I shouldn't have said "all". I should have said 99% of online retailers including XBL, which is the topic at hand, require your billing address to be your billing address. go figure

Lirrik

Looks like Xbox One will be truly region free.

Unlike PS3, which is famous for "region free games", but has incompatible DLC because of stupid disc codes and PSN accounts with no ability to change regions. I wonder what we'll have with PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom