• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

The add ons for the S6 edge are totally worthless, but as someone who hates how generic the vanilla S6 looks, the edge was totally worth the extra $100. I had zero interest in any Galaxy until that day I saw the S6 edge. Fell in love with it immediately.

It's really the battery. If they had a 5.5 regular? I'd bite. But the battery and screen are king.

It's really the battery. If they had a 5.5 regular? I'd bite. But the battery and screen are king.

The curve is beautiful, and it stops it looking like an iPhone knock off. Plus it's a 5.5 inch screen in a body that's way smaller than other 5.5 inch devices. Can't beat that really. I didn't hesitate to get the S7 edge, even if reportedly *purely for VR* the S7 comes out a little better. Better looks (and that sexy silver) would have won me over even if the battery wasn't bigger (either way it's going to be better than my S6 edge in that regard).

manfestival

Why don't you try 6.0 on the S6 first?

Well normally that would be par for the course but my s6 is having some smaller issues and it feels like a piece of it has become loose on the inside so instead of having it replaced, I figure I may as well just get the latest. Also the bump in battery is important to me too since I am not a fan of the s6 battery

_woLf

Preordered a verizon s7 at best buy today no problem. $50 down, total is $199.99...unlike the $229.99 on best buy's website.

They had the S7 demo unit up too. Pretty nifty.

Galaxy S7 Display improved from the Note 5 being crowned best cell phone display

Battery efficiency remained the same though, but that's fine because the S6 actually tested well in most battery benchmarks since it was testing with the device constantly in use, which wouldn't factor in poor performance from Lollipop stand by bugs.

oh wow

Both of the new Galaxy smartphones have a new interactive Personalized Automatic Brightness Control that learns and remembers the display brightness settings that you set for different ambient light levels so you get your own customized personal visual brightness preferences instead of some pre-programmed manufacturer settings

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Preordered a verizon s7 at best buy today no problem. $50 down, total is $199.99...unlike the $229.99 on best buy's website.

They had the S7 demo unit up too. Pretty nifty.
You were able to put money down? As in not pay full price? Interesting.

Heysoos

Got to play a little with the S7 and S7 Edge today at work. Having both of them in my hand, I'm leaning a lot more towards the Edge now. Love how good it looks and it feels great to hold.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
im switching from white galaxy s6 (with the camera shake issue) to S7 edge gold, hope there arent any pink/green/blue screen hue or camera issues.

wildfire

Banned
Now I'm really annoyed. I tried preordering the S7 upfront at full price and a T-mobile rep tells me that they aren't offering their newest phones to prepaid customers until a few months later.

I seriously wonder if that's the situation with other phone companies. I'm not interested in doubling my monthly phone bill to get a new phone. I guess they're trying to maximize their unlimited plan sales but I don't think they could really make everyone trying to get an S7 flip for that.

Lucifon

So Carphone Warehouse's cashback via Quidco only seems valid on contract preorders, not sim-free. Will look to cancel with them.

Samsung at least have 1% cashback and are offering the free GearVR - £6 is better than nothing. Mobile Phones Direct have it priced at £619 (£20 cheaper than elsewhere), and have £45 cashback on Quidco/TCB at the moment. On Twitter they've told me they're waiting for confirmation re: the free GearVR and to 'watch this space'.

Few question...

What's the value of the vr thing? 200? 300?

It's been so long since I kept up with Android and their wearables but what's the best android smart watch I should get for the s7 edge or is the watches like the apple watch to where it only works with the maker of the phone (Samsung watch only works on samsung, LG only for LG, etc)

And I heard someone mention Netflix with the vr, can I also watch regular movies on it also? Like with a video app?

So the Gear VR doesn't come with the phone if I'm reading correct? T-Mobile says you have to enter info after you receive the phone and then get it 4-6 weeks after. Wonder if its like that for every retailer/carrier.

Sanjuro

Few question...

It's been so long since I kept up with Android and their wearables but what's the best android smart watch I should get for the s7 edge or is the watches like the apple watch to where it only works with the maker of the phone (Samsung watch only works on samsung, LG only for LG, etc)

And I heard someone mention Netflix with the vr, can I also watch regular movies on it also? Like with a video app?

Verizon is offering a smart watch with the monthly plan.

Few question...

The vr is $99 but you are also getting $50 worth of content from occulus store and 64gb sd card for preorder (best buy)

I pre-ordered earlier yesterday in store after the online issues I was having. At Best Buy they make you buy a $50 giftcard. Not kidding you. To reserve it. Still it's cool I wanted to get Fire Emblem anyway.

Klotera

On the edge (no pun intended) about upgrading from my S6 edge. The S6 edge is still performing fine and is in good condition. Should be getting marshmallow soon, too.

The main advantages would be the bigger screen, the better battery, and better low light camera performance. All pretty enticing features.

But, as I said, the S6 edge is still performing well. It will be 200 to "buy up" to my edge upgrade with Verizon.

Decisions....

taybul

On the edge (no pun intended) about upgrading from my S6 edge. The S6 edge is still performing fine and is in good condition. Should be getting marshmallow soon, too.

The main advantages would be the bigger screen, the better battery, and better low light camera performance. All pretty enticing features.

But, as I said, the S6 edge is still performing well. It will be 200 to "buy up" to my edge upgrade with Verizon.

Decisions....

Step 1) Put new phone in cart
Step 2) Checkout
Step 3) Move mouse to vicinity of "Place Order" button
Step 4) Cover eyes and start randomly clicking while saying "Just randomly clicking my mouse here!"

Worked for me!

Seriously though, I'm coming from an S6, non-Edge and I regretted not getting the Edge version. The camera and battery capacity were also the major selling points for me.

joeposh

Here's a potentially dumb question... I'm have a plan that uses T-Mobile's network, but isn't directly through T-Mobile (NetOnTheRun). What's the best way to buy an S7 Edge?

I'm used to buying phones like the Nexus or OnePlus which sell directly to consumers, so this hasn't really been an issue before. Is there anywhere I can buy the T-Mobile version of this phone outright without having to link it to a T-Mobile account?

I'm guessing I'll just have to wait for unlocked versions, but would love to get in on the pre-order benefits and have the T-Mobile edition for the free wifi calling and such.

Kaladin

I'm in for a Galaxy S7. The Edge isn't worth the price difference.

My S5 is starting to get to the point of showing it's age.

I have a question though. I pre-ordered on T-MO through the upgrade existing phone system. Everywhere on the site it said you'd get the year of Netflix + Gear VR with pre-order except in the My T-Mobile page listing where you actually order it. It doesn't say it on my order confirmation either. Should I call T-MO to make sure I get those incentives? I spoke with a chat person and they said I would, but they're not always correct in my experience.

NH Apache

Banned

I have a question though. I pre-ordered on T-MO through the upgrade existing phone system. Everywhere on the site it said you'd get the year of Netflix + Gear VR with pre-order except in the My T-Mobile page listing where you actually order it. It doesn't say it on my order confirmation either. Should I call T-MO to make sure I get those incentives? I spoke with a chat person and they said I would, but they're not always correct in my experience.

I'll be switching from Sprint to Tmo and I'm curious about this as well.

Klotera

Step 1) Put new phone in cart
Step 2) Checkout
Step 3) Move mouse to vicinity of "Place Order" button
Step 4) Cover eyes and start randomly clicking while saying "Just randomly clicking my mouse here!"

Worked for me!

Seriously though, I'm coming from an S6, non-Edge and I regretted not getting the Edge version. The camera and battery capacity were also the major selling points for me.

I did it. Got an S7 edge showing up in a couple weeks. Sat on that final page for about ten minutes before clicking the button to complete the order.

BFIB

Mine keeps looping and telling me to go to a store for my Jump program.

Kaladin

Just did a chat with T-MO:

Margarette V: I can definitely review your order details and your eligibility for the promotion/

You: thank you

Margarette V: You're welcome. Please give me a moment to check on this.

Margarette V: Thanks for patiently waiting.

Margarette V: After checking, since you were able to successfully pre-order the Samsung Galaxy S7 between February 23 and March 18, you're definitely eligible to receive the free Gear VR and Oculus.

Margarette V: To redeem this, simply visit the Samsung Offer website at: www.t-mobile.com/SamsungOffer

Margarette V: The redemption must be done no later than March 31st, 2016. Also, you must set up an Oculus account at id.oculus.com/US/en-US/login/register no later than April 20, 2016.

Margarette V: I look forward in you being able to receive your new device as well as successfully redeem the offers included with it soon.

Margarette V: Just to check, have I fully addressed your concerns for today?
You: Okay, when I got to that site, it says "Come back when you have received your new Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge device to validate your purchase. Supplies are limited, so sign up here to receive a reminder email. Please make sure to have your receipt handy for an easy submission."

You: So I assume that covers both the VR and Netflix

Margarette V: Yes, you will be able to start the redemption once you receive your new phone.

Margarette V: You're absolutely right that it includes VR and Netflix.
You: alright, thank you.

Margarette V: Awesome! You're most welcome, Joshua.

So after you get the device, keep your receipt, go to that website and tell it where you bought the device. Then it will allow you to fill in the required info for receiving your promo items.

The only thing you need to do is order in the time frame.

Edit: More from T-MO

How do I get my free Samsung Gear VR, 6-game bundle from Oculus and my year of Netflix after getting the new Samsung phone?

From February 23, 2016 through March 18, 2016, pre-order, purchase or lease a Samsung Galaxy S7 / Galaxy S7 edge from a participating retailer.

Once you receive your phone (any time after February 23, 2016), visit www.T-Mobile.com/SamsungOffer and click on the appropriate link to submit the Offer Claim Form, including valid proof of pre-order or purchase receipt on Samsung’s redemption site. You must complete your claim form with Samsung by March 31, 2016.

You will receive a confirmation email once your submission has been approved.

You will receive a second email with your Netflix code. Once you receive your code, you can claim your free year of Netflix by visiting www.netflix.com/specialoffers by April 30, 2016. Netflix codes are limited.

Your Gear VR will be shipped to you within 4-6 weeks after validation.

After you receive your Gear VR, to get your Oculus 6-game bundle, set up an account at id.oculus.com/US/en-US/login/register. The 6 games will appear automatically in your account. You must download them by April 20, 2016.

Note that the Samsung website for redemptions, https://promos.samsungpromotions.com/GearVR, will not be available until approximately 10:00 AM ET on March 4, 2016. Prior to March 4, 2016, you’ll be able still visit this site to enter your email address, for a reminder to come back to complete you online submission.

ParityBit

So I was going to contact Verizon about upgrading (pre-order while in contract)

Is it better to do it by phone or is the online chat through the website the same? Trying to plan a time to do it.

Murkas

Looking at accessories, is wireless charging worth it?

Trying to find a good case and screen protector, recommendations welcome.

Wreav

Banned
I like wireless charging at my desk at work to top off before I hit the road for home. Never been impressed with the speed of it, though. Chargers are so cheap though, why not try it?

Nokterian

On a fence to take the plunge with S7 can someone tell me what they improved more? Also will updates like nexus will be regular this time around?

I like wireless charging at my desk at work to top off before I hit the road for home. Never been impressed with the speed of it, though. Chargers are so cheap though, why not try it?

I'm sure it has the fast wireless charging. Although the chargers themselves are super expensive.

Kaladin

Coming from a Galaxy S5 that has had it's fair share of issues, I'm looking forward to a S7 as a good step.

Remember friends, never upgrade one generation to the next....always wait at least 2 generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom