• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeCcO

Neo Member
I believe so, yes. IIRC, Samsung has a PRO lineup which is UHS-II and is supported by their phones. You can even see the branding on their official media pic for S7 with the SD card/dual-SIM slot.

EDIT: My bad. These are UHS-I cards.

EDIT 2: Some *potential* good news:

http://bgr.com/2016/02/22/best-galaxy-s7-lg-g5-microsd-cards/

https://www.sandisk.com/about/media...-card-featuring-worlds-fastest-transfer-speed

Too bad that SanDisk PR doesn't explicitly call out the S7/G5 as phones with UHS-II support. But this sounds promising.

Thank you, that does look promising. Hope there is some more info coming out soon.

s7-vs-iphone6-camera-1.jpg

GS7 shot looking good.

nib95

Banned

Damn that's impressive. Far less noise, brighter image, and much better detail resolving too, especially with the motorbike and bicycle cluster on the background poster, which looks all but smeared and crushed on the other two devices. Also, the S6 still fares better than the 6S tbh.

_woLf

Has anyone preordered the S7 at best buy in store? Is all of the deals good in store too or is it online only?

Preordered my wife and myself S7 Edges this morning once the preorders went up from Best Buy since it looks like they had the best deal. Free memory card + reward points along with the headset everyone gets. We are both using the Note 3 at the moment so these phones should be a nice upgrade.

_woLf

I preordered online through Best Buy the deal is the same in store or online.

Awesome. I want to keep my 2 year contract plan since the EDGE program does not benefit me at all since I'm on a loyalty service plan from Verizon, and thus wouldn't get any of the reduced service fees or anything...so Best Buy is looking like my best option. It being $30 more for the base S7 compared to everywhere else is kinda annoying, but whatever.

I pre ordered the S7 Edge at a T-Mobile store this morning. It was my first time pre ordering a phone so I was kinda taken aback when they told me It would be shipped to my house. I thought I'd just be able to pick it up at that store the day of release. Now to look for a good deal on a 200gb micro sd card....

BFIB

I really hope you can load the Oculus movies off the SD card. I have the Star Wars Blu-Ray set that I want to watch in Theater mode loaded on my S6Edge for now.

Just haven't had time to sit back and watch them in the theater experience yet. :(

I've never tried the gear VR but I did own an oculus dk2 for a while. I know it won't be exactly the same quality/experience? but is the gear vr worth keeping or should I sell it to make some money back?

BFIB

I've never tried the gear VR but I did own an oculus dk2 for a while. I know it won't be exactly the same quality/experience? but is the gear vr worth keeping or should I sell it to make some money back?

Gear VR is a step up on the DK2 kit IMO. But, I will note the "screen door" effect is still present on the Gear VR, though it is a lot less noticeable, and it goes away after a few minutes of adjusting. There is a full Oculus storefront now, and there's a lot of options. Streaming is still low quality, but downloaded videos are ace.

Wreav

Banned
Tried a Gear at Best Buy (had a regular S6 in it) and got extremely nauseated. Never had that reaction to the DK2.

Lucifon

Ugh preordered the edge 7 hours ago from carphone warehouse and still no quidco tracking confirmation. Any other UK people done the same?

I was thinking of getting the S7 later this year, but after looking at those size comparison pics above, I may go with the edge. Is screen size and battery the only differing features between the two phones??

the edge swipe features too.

Right on, thanks Faceless. I went from a galaxy s3 to an iphone 6 in 2014, but am looking forward to getting back to android. iOS is nice, but I really only used it for imessaging and was never really thrilled with it compared to android. Gonna wait for that sweet Black Friday sale later this year.

Wreav

Banned
I can upgrade from my HTC One M8 next month, it's between the S7 and the Nexus 6P. Going to be a tough choice.

The 6P camera is really good IMO. The question is which do you value more, wireless charging/waterproof/SD or stock android/USB-C?

NMFried

Did anyone who preordered from T-Mobile do it with their Jump! plan? How did it work?

Trying to pay off my iPhone and preorder the S7, but only if it works with Jump!

BFIB

Did anyone who preordered from T-Mobile do it with their Jump! plan? How did it work?

Trying to pay off my iPhone and preorder the S7, but only if it works with Jump!

I'm in the same boat. Never done the Jump program, but I'd like to get the Netflix and free Gear VR.

McLovin

I jumped on the iPhone 6 Plus last year, I'm ready and desperate to come back. The sd card coming back cemented the decision.

Smithy C

The 6P camera is really good IMO. The question is which do you value more, wireless charging/waterproof/SD or stock android/USB-C?

It's honestly the SD card thing that's making me sway. I store quite a lot of music on my SD at the moment, but I was going to try and go full cloud if I went went the 6P. The S7 has complicated the matter by actually looking like a good phone (haven't really like previous Samsung phones) with an SD card slot, and I can get a good deal on a data plan too.

Sanjuro

So is there any adventage to the edge part of the screen on the Edge models?

I'm not familiar with it enough. It looks cool, but I don't see myself ever using the functionality. Same way I disable NFC and heart rate.

I care about screen, battery, camera.

Embraze

Neo Member
I'm really tempted to switch to the S7 Edge from my Iphone 6 plus but I don't really like having to wait for updates so I'm not sure.

Red Devil

I'm not familiar with it enough. It looks cool, but I don't see myself ever using the functionality. Same way I disable NFC and heart rate.

I care about screen, battery, camera.

Hmm. But NFC and heart rate sensor might get some use eventually, but the edge screen I don't really see the adventage.

Murkas

Ugh preordered the edge 7 hours ago from carphone warehouse and still no quidco tracking confirmation. Any other UK people done the same?

I preordered it from car phone but only got 2 emails, acknowledgement of my order and explaining that it isn't out yet and will be dispatched close to launch day.

BFIB

Hmm. But NFC and heart rate sensor might get some use eventually, but the edge screen I don't really see the adventage.
A lot of it is just the look of it. Something about seeing the text wrap on the screen, such a cool effect.

Lucifon

I preordered it from car phone but only got 2 emails, acknowledgement of my order and explaining that it isn't out yet and will be dispatched close to launch day.

Did you go sim free? The free gear VR shows in the basket when you add a contract option but not when you add the sim free phone. Live chat told me it's still valid but their system doesn't fill me with faith.

Ixian

I can upgrade from my HTC One M8 next month, it's between the S7 and the Nexus 6P. Going to be a tough choice.
I have a Nexus 6P but I'm moving to an S7 Edge. Reasons why:

- Samsung Pay. Works with existing credit card readers, which is a plus for me since most stores I go to regularly don't support NFC yet. Rollouts for that sort of thing tend to be slow in the US, so I'd rather have something that works now. Samsung Pay also supports NFC so I get the best of both worlds. Also, Android Pay doesn't currently support Chase (though it's supposed to sometime early this year).

- Photo taking. Don't get me wrong, the Nexus 6P's camera is very good, but I find the photo taking experience lackluster compared to Samsung's offering. Even after some updates, the camera app can be slow to start up, and can be quite unreliable when taking photos, especially if you're trying to take a bunch of HDR photos in succession. Having OIS again will be nice, as well. Samsung's camera app also just has more options in general. The S7 will only further Samsung's lead in the camera department.

- Headphone jack placement. This isn't a driving force behind me switching, but I vastly prefer having the headphone jack on the bottom of the device; it's a lot more natural to put the phone into my pocket upside down so it comes out upright when removing it.

- Expandable storage. Also not a big reason reason I'm switching (64 GB on the Nexus 6P is plenty for me), but still a nice-to-have along with waterproofing.

Things I'll miss from the Nexus 6P:
- Stock experience. Modern TouchWiz isn't the garbage that it was when Samsung had the nature UX crap, but it still brings its own issues, not the least of which is slower updates.
- Superior fingerprint sensor placement. Having it on the back of the device is so nice.

Really you can't go wrong with either phone. Nexus 6P definitely wins out on price and gives me a lot of hope for future Nexus phones, but it's not what I want it to be just yet.

Those comparison pics are crazy, s7 camera is on another level.

It really is. My old Lumia 928 was damn good at low light... I've still got it kicking around so when I get my S7 I might do a comparison. Either way... low light photography really helps me out. I take a lot of pictures under desks and behind server cabinets to see / catalogue serial numbers, etc. It's the main thing I miss about my 928. I'm really happy Samsung prioritized low light photography.

Sanjuro

A lot of it is just the look of it. Something about seeing the text wrap on the screen, such a cool effect.

That's the explanation I like. If you sat here and told me of the benefits, I'd write you off. It just looks cool and IT MAY provide some users with a addition experience.

For seasoned Android vets it's all aesthetic. Which isn't bad.

That's the explanation I like. If you sat here and told me of the benefits, I'd write you off. It just looks cool and IT MAY provide some users with a addition experience.

For seasoned Android vets it's all aesthetic.

The add ons for the S6 edge are totally worthless, but as someone who hates how generic the vanilla S6 looks, the edge was totally worth the extra $100. I had zero interest in any Galaxy until that day I saw the S6 edge. Fell in love with it immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom