• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Izayoi

Banned
Ooh that's great to hear then. I've definitely haven't been pumped like this for hardware in awhile.
My usage yesterday, work day:

yfuan.jpg

From 5AM to 5PM, essentially. Same story, today:

reKon

Banned
Anyone find any good thorough reviews on the S8+. My 2 year contract is up next week and I'm definitely considering on upgrading to the S8 + from my S6 Edge.

I guess a few questions for gaffers though...
How is the battery life?
Is the S8 + a comfortable size to hold and carry in pockets?

S8+ is going to blow your S6 Edge out battery wise

BraXzy

I'm coming back to Android from iOS after two years

What are some essential/recommended apps/things to do?

I recommend trying out a custom keyboard. I really like Google Keyboard, I find it's swipe typing works best for me as well as it's dictionary understanding for my slang words. Other people swear by SwiftKey.

Maybe try a custom launcher too, such as Nova Launcher. It gives you a tonne of options and customisation from everything from swipe features to your app symbols and names.

Grab Samsung / Android Pay for contactless payments if your bank supports it.

I just recently installed LastPass (use it on desktop browser) and it is so handy I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. It's a password manager/saver. Any app it recognises as a match to a site I have saved, it'll pop up and ask if it wants to fill. You either need your master password, or thanks to this phone, your fingerprint to allow it. Makes logging in super quick.

NeOak

Ok, so test of the keyboard cover. It does work with the 13 bucks tempered glass screen protector I bought to hold me over until the Zagg one is shipped.

But it's basically a hard shell, so it isn't likely to protect from falls :(

Pepiope

S8+ is going to blow your S6 Edge out battery wise
Ya I came from the S6. And holy. I was used to charging my S6 twice in one day. Feels weird getting through a whole day with juice to spare. Especially considering the fact that I'm using the phone more than usual because it's new and shiny.

got my s8 plus with action launcher 3.

I know Nova seems to be the defacto go-to. But Action Launcher 3 was highly rated on both android sites and has a high rating in the app store as well.

Love it to be honest.

Are there more interactive backgrounds for the s8 besides the stars one that has them move as you move your phone around?

Jumping from an S5 to an S8+ is fucking amazing. I've been playing on it all day, and just loving it.

Is there a way to get rid of whatever the little circle with a plus sign in it that is up by the clock and shit?

My $100 promo shipped. Says it'll be here on the 25th. Who said 6-8 weeks?

You suck. Did you get an email first saying it would take two weeks to confirm your receipt of some shit?

Tekniqs

coming from my nexus 6p, I could double tap a notification on the lock screen and it would take me to the message/email/etc or whatever it may be without me having to open the app manually. Is there a similar feature for the s8?

Pepiope

Oh. I was talking about the free Gear VR. Not the $100 headphones. Sorry, I should learn to read.
Oh. Maybe they'll take longer for those, but that would suck because the Gear VR is included in this promo.
Jumping from an S5 to an S8+ is fucking amazing. I've been playing on it all day, and just loving it.

Is there a way to get rid of whatever the little circle with a plus sign in it that is up by the clock and shit?

You suck. Did you get an email first saying it would take two weeks to confirm your receipt of some shit?
Nope. The first E-Mail I received was yesterday morning saying the registration is approved. Then I got an order confirmation that said it was being processed and shipped in 1-3 days. Then today I got the email saying it did ship with the tracking # included.

NeOak

coming from my nexus 6p, I could double tap a notification on the lock screen and it would take me to the message/email/etc or whatever it may be without me having to open the app manually. Is there a similar feature for the s8?
Yes

Sent from my Galaxy S8+ with Keyboard Cover, a smartphone on AT&T

Any other carriers beside Verizon get a system update? I haven't read through the thread. Just for getting the apps to sync with the screen ratio.

Nova is 4.8 on the app store just so you know, it's incredible.

God damn.. they really are getting next level. Amazing.

Action launcher 3 seems to be more battery efficient/ , or at least less of a memory hog, and has an option to show every app on your phone on a list if you swipe from the left of the screen, with a letter finder ala music apps. It's so fucking great to go to an app straight away.

But yeah, Nova was always great and might have more customization if I recall due to the huge community.

BraXzy

Action launcher 3 seems to be more battery efficient

In fairness Nova is the only one I've ever tried, I might have to give Action a look. I haven't even set Nova up yet, I'm content for now to just use "stock" Samsung. We'll see how long that lasts.

What impact does a launcher have on stuff like the live wallpapers/side swipe etc? Does everything still work as normal?

In fairness Nova is the only one I've ever tried, I might have to give Action a look. I haven't even set Nova up yet, I'm content for now to just use "stock" Samsung. We'll see how long that lasts.

What impact does a launcher have on stuff like the live wallpapers/side swipe etc? Does everything still work as normal?

the infinite wallpapers still work. Also the edge screen stuff. I was afraid it wouldn't work with my s flip cover case which has the screen functionality, but it still works.

sun-drop

Wait...so if I use the Gear VR it forces me to use the Oculus app ONLY?

I can't use Google Cardboard or the Nvidia ansel thing?

Download and app off the play store called " play cardboard" and you'll be able to toggle between cardboard and ocus with one finger tap

Vlaphor

Just got my S8+ today on an impulse. Got the last one Sprint had and only had to pay about $30 after returning my S7 Edge. Liking this phone a lot, but I have a small and potentially silly question. Am I able to use an adaptor to connect this phone to a CV1 model of Gear VR. Not a big deal, as I haven't really used the Gear VR that much since getting my Vive, but I am curious about it.

Limit

Trying out all the features and edge lighting is new to me. I added textra to list of apps for edge lighting but it doesn't seem to work. Anyone else tried it?

NeOak

Just got my S8+ today on an impulse. Got the last one Sprint had and only had to pay about $30 after returning my S7 Edge. Liking this phone a lot, but I have a small and potentially silly question. Am I able to use an adaptor to connect this phone to a CV1 model of Gear VR. Not a big deal, as I haven't really used the Gear VR that much since getting my Vive, but I am curious about it.

I think they include the adapter in the box for it.

Ultryx

You know the little bubble that appears on your default messages application when you get a new message? Does anyone know how to make that same bubble counter appear for all applications like Gmail?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
My case fixed the backspace key not working, probably because it blocks the edge. Also makes the phone not a slippery landmine. Not sure wtf the stock design is about.

Current frustration is not having a comma key in the default keyboard. Seems to be replaced with a question mark. What am I a dumbass on Yahoo answers?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Are you guys keeping the resolution at 1080? Also is Zedge still the place for wallpapers?

Yeah I think anyone that claims they can see a difference is delusional or has exceptionally good eyesight.

Anyone preorder/purchase through Sam's Club have an issue with getting the VR promotion? It shows the last date available for the promotion was the 20th when the phone came out today.

I pre-ordered on April 8th, how can I get the microsd and headphones promo? On the app the only thing it shows on the drop down menu is the gear vr option.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't able to find a spigen case i liked so I got a more generic rubber one for now. Buttons are a pain to press. I'll have to order one online I think.

Top Bottom