• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So this Dqa error sucks. I cleared cache and it went away for a bit, but now it's back. Seriously??!!

Set battery to mid power saving while using WIFI. I get the popup only once every 2 hours instead of 10 seconds.

Sanjuro

Was thinking about giving Spigen another shot. Their S7 Edge case was a mess.

Incipo actually has some pretty great looking cases, but they don't seem to be out yet.

I put the light purple clock on the always on lock screen on my Orchid Grey S8 and it's sexy as all hell. Also, I like that it's a bit smaller than the S7 edge. I was under the impression it was the same size.

20170422_163953feo5q.jpg

teh_pwn

I got 2 spare Samsung fast adaptive chargers. Amazon said it is compatible but I noticed the ampage output is a bit higher that the one included with the s8. Would this cause any issues.

Moff

I have been looking for a Nexus 5 replacement for quite some time now and I think this will be it. I always thought the iphone4 was the most beautiful phone but I held the sgs8 in my hands today and it just looks supercool, I will very likely pick it up when it's available again. probably the smaller version, I don't really care about the price but the + is a bit too big for my taste.

Amory

Took some quick pictures on a trip to Concord MA / Walden Pond today. I really like this camera. Point and shoot and they come out looking quite nice.

Really loving this phone so far

I got 2 spare Samsung fast adaptive chargers. Amazon said it is compatible but I noticed the ampage output is a bit higher that the one included with the s8. Would this cause any issues.

rule of thumb for any power adapter.

voltage must be exact, amperage must be above a minimum.

the device will only draw the amperage it wants or needs, so it doesn't matter if the power supply can provide more than the device can handle. the device won't take it.

but it must output the right number of volts.

quesalupa

Man this phone is fucking amazing after installing and customizing Nova launcher. Coming from a Pixel, the stock s8 launcher is pretty bad. Nova mixed with the cool custom Samsung features makes this phone a strong winner.

Decided to put a pure black background on the lock and home screen.

I never appreciated the contrast ratio of AMOLED till today.

It literally looks like the phone is just off and displaying three icons at the bottom of my home screen, which is technically true.

Actually, you can barely make out any Bezel until you open an app. It just looks like all screen. I'm surprised they have no stock wallpapers to help showcase this sensation.

I think Samsung making all the Bezel black regardless of phone choice was a good idea.

jm89

I don't know if my fingerprint sensor is faulty or i'm not using correctly, but i keep getting the "Make sure you finger covers the entire sensor" error, trying to register my index finger and covering the entire sensor works 40% of the time. Anyone else having issues with this?

quesalupa

I don't know if my fingerprint sensor is faulty or i'm not using correctly, but i keep getting the "Make sure you finger covers the entire sensor" error, trying to register my index finger and covering the entire sensor works 40% of the time. Anyone else having issues with this?
I definitely get more errors than I did on the Pixel but I'm getting less now than I did when I first got this phone. I think it's just a matter of figuring out the positioning. I find it best to first rest my finger beside it then slide onto the sensor.

Jeffrey

Who's going caseless and skinless?

I do it around the house, but not confident with it outside lol.

I mostly worry it's gonna slip outta my pocket. Thing basically is a sexy bar of of soap.

Got an email about the VR headset saying they couldn't read the picture of my receipt. Had to upload another. Hopefully this one works out. Said to allow another two weeks, but I'm guessing it will be less since it was less than 24 hours since I sent in the first.

Sanjuro

Man this phone is fucking amazing after installing and customizing Nova launcher. Coming from a Pixel, the stock s8 launcher is pretty bad. Nova mixed with the cool custom Samsung features makes this phone a strong winner.

Nova works great on the device. Infinity themes don't seem to have an issue with it either.

Got an email about the VR headset saying they couldn't read the picture of my receipt. Had to upload another. Hopefully this one works out. Said to allow another two weeks, but I'm guessing it will be less since it was less than 24 hours since I sent in the first.

Same here. Fingers crossed.

I tried to trick my S8 into downloading the oculus software using the micro usb adapter and plugging it into the gear vr I got for the S6. No dice though.

teh_pwn

This phone is fast. Huge upgrade from S5. Pretty much everything loads instantly like a modern desktop.

Task manager app show less than 2 GiB in use, so I think this will stay fast at Android updates and apps like Facebook continue to bloat. I may be good until S11 or S12.

BraXzy

I feel like the cases have been a huge disappointment for the S8. Every one I've tested so far has something small that is off.

Glad the phone is doing well, so we should see some revisions and new stuff soon.

Have you tried the Spigen Neo-Hybrid?

Nearly bit the bullet on one of these but couldn't go through with it due to my dependance on the Apple ecosystem. Looks like a great phone though. But I'm going to hold out for the iPhone and make my mind up then.

Today is my first full day using my S8+ and damn the battery is so much better than my S7E so far, at least as far as standby goes. Took my phone off the charger at 12, used it for a little before going to work at 1:30, and am now at 84%. If I were using my S7E, I'd already be down to 70%.

On Verizon BTW.

reKon

Banned
Today is my first full day using my S8+ and damn the battery is so much better than my S7E so far, at least as far as standby goes. Took my phone off the charger at 12, used it for a little before going to work at 1:30, and am now at 84%. If I were using my S7E, I'd already be down to 70%.

On Verizon BTW.

Well how old is your S7E? I keep seeing comments like this, but you know some of this could be attributed to your battery capacity deteriorating... unless you take good care of your phone.

Well how old is your S7E? I keep seeing comments like this, but you know some of this could be attributed to your battery capacity deteriorating... unless you take good care of your phone.
It was like a month or two shy of being a year old, so it very well could be the battery deteriorating. I just couldn't remember the last time my battery was ever that good on the Edge.

reKon

Banned
It was like a month or two shy of being a year old, so it very well could be the battery deteriorating. I just couldn't remember the last time my battery was ever that good on the Edge.

good news is that if Samsung did really pull off the battery capacity retaining 95% of its capacity at 2 year, then your battery should be still fantastic if you decide to keep the phone over a year.

lowkey, that would be a megaton

DrBo42

Currently running with a Note 5. Biggest problems with it is the battery life and that it runs hot with mediocre performance. Can upgrade to the S8 for like $30 with tax on TMobile. Worth losing the pen? I use it for some light note taking for work but other than that I never touch it.

Jeffrey

good news is that if Samsung did really pull off the battery capacity retaining 95% of its capacity at 2 year, then your battery should be still fantastic if you decide to keep the phone over a year.

lowkey, that would be a megaton

according to samsung*

we shall see lol.

btw: where in the US are they selling official samsung cases in retail? curious about the sview one but not gonna risk $60 without hands on.

Esqueleto

Banned
Who's going caseless and skinless?

I do it around the house, but not confident with it outside lol.

I mostly worry it's gonna slip outta my pocket. Thing basically is a sexy bar of of soap.
Was about to get a case but changed my mind when I held my mom's s7. It felt bulky. I went with a skin on my s7 and after a couple of drops, the only obvious damage is some missing paint on the camera ring. I won't be getting mine till Monday but if the back is still slippery, I'll get another skin.

reKon

Banned
according to samsung*

we shall see lol.

btw: where in the US are they selling official samsung cases in retail? curious about the sview one but not gonna risk $60 without hands on.

yeah it's a wait and see thing. I think that was one of the head engineers that said that? Hopefully it's legit.

BFIB

Currently running with a Note 5. Biggest problems with it is the battery life and that it runs hot with mediocre performance. Can upgrade to the S8 for like $30 with tax on TMobile. Worth losing the pen? I use it for some light note taking for work but other than that I never touch it.
You could wait 6 months for the Note 8. But, this phone is incredible. If you don't need the pen, I say go for it.

Jeffrey

i'm surprised at how relatively cool s8 plus runs doing hefty graphics games or benchmarks. not sure if its due to samsung being conservative here, or is it due to the more efficient 10nm chipsets.

Top Bottom