• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Ultryx

Anyone else order direct from Samsung also? Just got my shipping notification email and it shows delivery tomorrow.

Also I noted that it shows the phone shipped AND my Gear VR. I was told it would be like 6 weeks after the phone. I hope it's not just a voucher for the Gear VR, but the unit itself.

I was going to try to pick up at the ups facility but the driver wont be back until after 730pm and they close at 9. Date night tonight wont allow me to get there between 7-9. Ugh! Lol

JonnyKong

I'm getting mine in two days.

I'm still trying to decide on which case to get, I'm thinking the led silver version. Any of you nice folk got a hold of one of the fancy cases and care to post some pictures?

Izuna

Banned
Lady came to where I work today looking for screen protectors. I'm fretting. That's gunna be annoying af to put on. Anyone have any clue how that is?

Mindwipe

Anyone who has theirs, could you check and see if a DualShock 4 works? Either via Bluetooth or plugging an OTG cable in?

Condom

Lady came to where I work today looking for screen protectors. I'm fretting. That's gunna be annoying af to put on. Anyone have any clue how that is?

There are Zagg protectors that fit perfectly, from what I have heard of coworkers at least.

BriGuy

Getting ready to send this POS back. Setting it up is nothing short of infuriating. Scores of messages and notifications, apps competing with each other for the glory of backing up my device, pop ups about every goddamn little thing, and nothing works. You need to sign into your google account, but it won't let you. It's "processing" until it times out and bitches about not having an internet connection despite me using that very internet on the phone to type this post.

I don't know who to blame, but I'm getting really fucking fed up.

Mirk

Well I got mine and have sat and played with it a bit. Very fast coming from my s5 it's a nice upgraded. All of my apps seem to work. The battery doesn't seem all that great to me. After fully charging it and messing around with some emulators, playing a few YouTube videos it dropped 20%. I also really dislike the rounded edges of the screen, Feels tacky.

The first thing I did was load the latest dolphin and sync a switch pro controller. The controller synced just fine but it's very buggy? Button lag is bad. Going to see if I can get a ps4 controller working to see if it's the pro. Dolphin its self is amazing thou. Metroid Prime seems to be running full speed except the sound is all garbled. Only tried that and Paper Mario witch worked great. A few gfx glitches but otherwise very nice. Also tried recast and fpce but they ran good on my s5 so I didn't really see much of a change.

I really like the power of the phone but I really hope we get the bootloader unlocked at some point. Not being able to remove crap system apps or change systems sounds is going to drive me nuts I think.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
So i just got the phones, and I'm wondering, does the preorder stuff come later?

Aesthet1c

Getting ready to send this POS back. Setting it up is nothing short of infuriating. Scores of messages and notifications, apps competing with each other for the glory of backing up my device, pop ups about every goddamn little thing, and nothing works. You need to sign into your google account, but it won't let you. It's "processing" until it times out and bitches about not having an internet connection despite me using that very internet on the phone to type this post.

I don't know who to blame, but I'm getting really fucking fed up.

Is this your first time using an Android device? There is definitely a learning curve to it coming from iOS. As for your connection issues, I don't know if your phone is faulty or what. I definitely didn't have any of the issues you described setting up my phone.

BriGuy

Is this your first time using an Android device? There is definitely a learning curve to it coming from iOS. As for your connection issues, I don't know if your phone is faulty or what. I definitely didn't have any of the issues you described setting up my phone.
No, that's just it. I'm coming from a galaxy s6. None of my other androids have given me this kind of grief. Maybe it was the system transfer?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Transferring stuff via PC. It's super quick. I'm in love with the phone. It feels way more robust than my s6 edge.

Aesthet1c

No, that's just it. I'm coming from a galaxy s6. None of my other androids have given me this kind of grief. Maybe it was the system transfer?

Oh yeah that's probably it. I didn't mess with any of that transfer stuff, I just set it up as a new device.

BraXzy

The long process of transferring everything over.

It's been awhile since I've had to do this... Google automates a lot of it right? Still not sure what else I need to do in prep. Had a screenshot of my home screen to remember where my stuff is but I might switch it up on this new one. Anything else worth keeping in mind?

So i just got the phones, and I'm wondering, does the preorder stuff come later?

Check with your carrier. A few over here require filling out a form.

It's been awhile since I've had to do this... Google automates a lot of it right? Still not sure what else I need to do in prep. Had a screenshot of my home screen to remember where my stuff is but I might switch it up on this new one. Anything else worth keeping in mind?

Unless your old phone is a blackberry, you can use the included dongle to transfer everything from one phone to another.

Pepiope

Yeah, mine ran a bit slower when it was transferring my 70ish apps to the new phone, but once that was done it was fine.

Can anyone get the promotions page to work? I know all my information is right, but it keeps telling me it's wrong.

Edit: the site wasn't working, so I did it through their SHop Samsung app. It didn't prompt me to pay the $99 though. Guess that comes later?

Mindwipe

Works on any other android phone. Can't see why not.

It doesn't work with any other Android phone with correct button mapping over Bluetooth because stock Android doesn't include the correct HID mapping profile. I wondered if Samsung might have fixed it unilaterially for Gear VR. And plugging a DS4 into some S7s caused the device to crash and require a reboot, so it's a reasonable thing to check.

Really want to hear about the software experience. As an S6 edge user, the bits of lag and hard stops were pretty ridiculous since day one. I'm mostly cool with them as the feature set is nice but there have been a few particularly frustrating moments, namely in important situations, that have me looking at the new Pixel or iPhone.

Pepiope

Samsung's site must be hammered or something. Trying to register via phone but it's not working.
It wasn't working for me on the site either. I just downloaded the Shop Samsung app and did it from there.

Side note. Maybe I have huge hands, but it's not difficult at all to reach the finger print scanner for me on the S8+. Guess I don't have to use the face recognition or Iris scanner.

ErichWK

It says it was delivered to my house, but i probably won't be home until midnight. THE WAIT!!! IT'S KILLING ME! My S7+ heats up like an oven whenever i use GPS recently and the battery is literal grundle. I can't wait to be free of her clutches into a younger sexier phone

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Great so far. So much faster than s5 with Facebook. I need to learn how to type horizontally tho because vertically the backspace button doesn't register due to the edge.

Greenymac

So, Ive decided on the cases im ordering, but does anyone have any early impressions or past experience with any tempered glass screen protectors? Id like the pack to have two just in case I fuck up... Help!!!

teh_pwn

Really want to hear about the software experience. As an S6 edge user, the bits of lag and hard stops were pretty ridiculous since day one. I'm mostly cool with them as the feature set is nice but there have been a few particularly frustrating moments, namely in important situations, that have me looking at the new Pixel or iPhone.

My s5 had that and the s8 is snappy. More RAM and Android 7.0 and faster CPU.

Izuna

Banned
There are Zagg protectors that fit perfectly, from what I have heard of coworkers at least.

That one is glass, right? I wonder if it will have the same problem with the S6/S7e where a case will push the glass up. I constantly tell customers they need a PET one.

Funny story, this lady came in with her S7e with a glass screen protector (she paid someone £15 for) that wasn't letting her press the screen properly. The dude freaking sellotaped it down.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I went S8, because I know I'll get the Note come fall, my wife got an S8 plus and I'm jealous.

I thought the difference is very minor.looking at that phonearena comparison, jump from S8 to S8+ is smaller than iPhone to iPhone Plus

Pepiope

Great so far. So much faster than s5 with Facebook. I need to learn how to type horizontally tho because vertically the backspace button doesn't register due to the edge.
Mine has no problem registering even when I try to press it on the right most part of the screen.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Someone needs to revive the what app is worth getting thread. Haven't seen it in over a year and plenty of new stuff. I'm just randomly filling my phone with apps I probably won't use.

teh_pwn

Default clock style on always on screen is odd, but fortunately you can change it.

teh_pwn

Mine has no problem registering even when I try to press it on the right most part of the screen.

Yeah, the texting is my only issue so far. I think I'll find a solution eventually.

Someone needs to revive the what app is worth getting thread. Haven't seen it in over a year and plenty of new stuff. I'm just randomly filling my phone with apps I probably won't use.

For common usage, the smart phone market hasn't changed much in the last few years. You won't need an LED flashlight app as it's built into the OS as a swipe down option like WIFI. The only newish app that I've found lately that's essential is Mr. Number. Auto blocks spam callers.

I bought an S8 and as far as day one impressions go, this version of TouchWiz is excellent. Very snappy and (imo) good looking UI.

It's also a beautiful handheld.

IJoel

Ordered online through Samsung and still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation. :( I was hoping to get it tomorrow.

BriGuy

I reset the thing and passed on the file transfer malarkey. It works like it's supposed to now. Still no idea what went wrong, but I suspect the Samsung app and ATT app fighting one another had a hand in it. It's a pretty nice phone.

And holy smokes, the 256GB micro card for $99 is a steal, to say nothing of getting a pair of headphones and a gear VR with it. That sucker is going right in my Switch.

teh_pwn

Okay I figured out how to change the god awful
HH
MM

display format for always on screen but I cannot seem to find it for the swipe to unlock screen.

Ie, I want
8:15 PM

and not

Why this is the default I'll never understand. First time I've seen this format ever.

Top Bottom