• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sarah Palin calls out Trump: Trump's Carrier deal is 'crony capitalism'

Status
Not open for further replies.
1480601161561.jpg

I hope this is him pulling the strings from the shadows

Peltz

Of course the sell-out is coming you ridiculous bint. The ability to sell-out consistently and cowardly is one of the man's defining traits. You're talking about a man who literally sells his family name to people, did you think for an instant he had some principles where the price was too high?

I mean... in all fairness Trump is the name of his family's company. Trademark licensing deals aren't unprincipled. You're acting as if selling it is inherently wrong.

I'm against the guy too. I hate his politics. But, come on. At least be fair in your criticisms.

2016 never ceases to amaze.

I'm starting to wonder if the Mayans weren't off by a few years cause hot damn this year has been something else.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I mean... in all fairness Trump is the name of his family's company. Trademark licensing deals aren't unprincipled. You're acting as if selling it is inherently wrong.

I'm against the guy too. I hate his politics. But, come on. At least be fair in your criticisms. I'd let you use my name on a building too if it was a nice enough building and you compensated me for it.

I think the comparison was Carnegie vs Kardashian.

What is the underlying business accomplishment?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Honestly though, this raises far more questions than answers.

Why is Palin so bothered by this? The "principles" argument doesn't make much sense since 1) Palin herself has been notorious for doing crony capitalist deals during her time as governor of Alaska and 2) conservatives don't give a shit about stuff like this when their kind are in charge.

I mean, I would understand if Carrier was some corporation that did things that made it popular with liberals like if they manufactured solar panels or something, but they don't. And the way Trump "saved" those Carrier jobs isn't even an efficient or popular form of government intervention that liberals would care for (as there are hardly any liberals defending the deal in the first place). And the fact that it's a pretty shitty deal from the liberal standpoint would be even more of a reason for people like Palin to support it because her kind have this natural ability to gravitate towards shitty and inefficient government policies.

Everything about this is bizarre.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Honestly though, this raises far more questions than answers.

Why is Palin so bothered by this? The "principles" argument doesn't make much sense since 1) Palin herself has been notorious for doing crony capitalist deals during her time as governor of Alaska and 2) conservatives don't give a shit about stuff like this when their kind are in charge.

I mean, I would understand if Carrier was some corporation that did things that made it popular with liberals like if they manufactured solar panels or something, but they don't. And the way Trump "saved" those Carrier jobs isn't even an efficient or popular form of government intervention that liberals would care for (as there are hardly any liberals defending the deal in the first place). And the fact that it's a pretty shitty deal from the liberal standpoint would be even more of a reason for people like Palin to support it because her kind have this natural ability to gravitate towards shitty and inefficient government policies.

Everything about this is bizarre.

I'm guessing cheaper and lower than we're calculating.

I mean I think the scariest thought is, what comes after Trump after 4 years of normalizing this madness.

Probably another 4 more years of madness.

Honestly, people are super shocked about this and all, but Palin actually struck me as a legitimate hardcore, 'no big government' conservative. This view is pretty in line with her history, as insane as she is.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I have to wonder if maybe she thinks Obama was behind this and it's therefore bad. She sure sucked up to Trump hard enough.

Fury451

Banned
What the fuck? Is this what is causing Republicans to turn on him? Don't most people see this as a win for Trump, and by extension, the GOP?

No. Conservatives like Palin want small government bordering on libertarianism at times; the GOP wants money and power growth- the party is at odds with its leaders, hence this.

Honestly, people are super shocked about this and all, but Palin actually struck me as a legitimate hardcore, 'no big government' conservative. This view is pretty in line with her history, as insane as she is.

No big government except in the bedroom and women's uteruses.

These people are and have always been hypocrites when it comes to this.

Lol at Ann Coulter saying it's not the fault of Trump voters that they were deceived. Everybody else told them Trump could not be trusted and would flip-flop on everything. It is 100% their fault for not listening and being too damn dumb to see it coming. Idiots.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I also think people are off when they think Palin's doing this cause she didn't get assigned a cabinet position. Have you guys seen this woman? This is the same person that quit her part time grifting gig where she sat in front of a ten dollar webcam and whined about shit for 15 minutes a week. Apparently THAT was too much work for her, and she wound up (once again) quitting.

Think about that for a sec. She had an army of mouth breathers that worship the ground she walks on, willing to spend hundreds, maybe even thousands of dollars on her via yearly subscription. Basically the easiest money making venture imagineable, one that would support her for the rest of her wretched existence, and she couldn't summon the energy to do so.

This woman is incredibly, phenomenally, lazy. There is no way in hell she would ever take a position as Secretary of Energy, or any other cabinet position, with all the work it entails.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Republicans are going to get everything they want, and it is going to fucking SUCK, and they won't be able to hide that. So start blaming it on trump now, so the GOP brand doesn't get sullied.

They get what they want, and they get to blame someone else for it. Perfect.

I'm against the guy too. I hate his politics. But, come on. At least be fair in your criticisms.

Then we're going to have to very strongly agree to disagree on that point.

A celebrity product endorsement is absolutely selling out. That's practically definitional to selling out: if Trent Reznor took a deal to put his likeness on Happy Meals you would call him a sell-out and you would be absolutely right.

Being a sell-out doesn't make you a bad person by itself, but it certainly establishes that your personal profit motive overwhelms other factors. If you're surprised when someone who sells out as unabashedly hard as Trump does cuts a poor deal because they believe it's personally beneficial to them, you really shouldn't be; despite being a (supposed) billionaire he's had no qualms about selling his own name to any number of questionable and sub-par endeavors.

The point, at the end of the day, is that he lacks the pride and austerity that stops most filthy rich assholes from just pimping themselves out like a $5 whore. I mean, I might not like Romney, but at the end of the day I can at least say he wouldn't let someone open a Romney Gas Station in Tijuana for $100,000 and a promise the bathroom fixtures would be faux gold.

2016 never ceases to amaze.

I'm starting to wonder if the Mayans weren't off by a few years cause hot damn this year has been something else.

I think the Mayans actually got the year right and we've just been on a slow boil to the apocalypse since 2012. But it's clear we're now at the point where the tea-kettle is finally starting to bubble over.

Of course the sell-out is coming you ridiculous bint. The ability to sell-out consistently and cowardly is one of the man's defining traits. You're talking about a man who literally sells his family name to people, did you think for an instant he had some principles where the price was too high?
Seriously. This is a man who bankrupted himself twice. Twice!

Jumplion

Sounds like the big sell-out is coming. Oh well. The voters did what we could. If Trump sells out, it's not our fault.

God, troll or not with Coulter, this mindset is what pisses me off the most about all of this and I've seen it way too often with conservatives to be a coincidence.

Liberals will infight all the time and, successfully or not, call out their leaders for not upholding liberal ideologies. Plenty of liberals criticize Clinton, Obama, other liberals, what have you. Being successful or doing it fervently enough is a different thing, but at least calling out would take place. That's partially the reason why nothing ever gets done with them, so much arguing takes place on how to do things right that they don't do it at all.

But not with conservatives/right wing ideologies, not with Trump. So long as it gets them closer to whatever it is they want, they will tolerate the strangest bedfellows, just enough to say "They don't represent us!" but still benefit from what they do. None of my conservative friends, and few conservative people I've seen around the web, have shown any intention of holding Trump accountable for his promises, actions, or violations of basic human rights and dignity, and infact actively excuse him by saying things like "He's not a politician/he's a businessman" or "You can't hold him accountable for stuff he's done in the past" or "He didn't really mean it, it meant to say this".

I swear, am I missing something here? Am I just not seeing things from the right perspective? Is it confirmation bias? When spineless Republican leaders like Ted Cruz and Paul Ryan can hardly hold Trump accountable to his own words, I don't know how else to see it.

I want off 2016's wild ride

Just a few more weeks, and then we can suffer through the 4 year long hangover.

KRod-57

Banned
I really don't think she's wrong on this one. There's a reason why Trump polled 3rd among economists, his economic policies are absolute crap

The Ann Coulter tweet actually has no relation to the Carrier deal, but rather Pence and Ryan's immigration plans. She feels they won't go far enough.

oti

Banned
"Sounds like the big sell-out is coming. Oh well. The voters did what we could. If Trump sells out, it's not our fault."

lol

Not my fault I voted for this potentially dangerous individual! Not like ANYONE saw that coming! Not me, no!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Palin sounds surprisingly more eloquent and thoughtful in this interview than any other public appearance I've seen of her, ever. What the hell? Does this mean the wacky Alaskan lady persona is just a façade?

also yeah, no, sorry, you voted for him, now own up to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom