• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satellite Reign (Kickstarter) - Spiritual sequel to Syndicate Wars by orig. creator

Pledged for 29£. It's sad there isn't any physical version for collectors; and 320£ for receiving the hardcover artbook is a bit too much.

Nikodemos

But wasnt there a Syndicate game last year?

One that people thought would be amazing, awsome, etc etc and then everybody forgot about it two days after release?
Actually, a lot of people predicted it would be a sucky generic railshooter that would piss on its legacy. Cue gargantuan smugness when that was found correct.

Chev

But wasnt there a Syndicate game last year?

One that people thought would be amazing, awsome, etc etc and then everybody forgot about it two days after release?

No, pretty much anyone who knew the old game knew from the get go it was cookie cutter linear FPS that completely ignored what had been interesting in the original.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How can they take an FPS game and make the spiritual successor into an RTS?

joker-laughing-gif-o.gif

Syndicate was never an FPS until it was remade into one recently.
Syndicate is name reaching long time into history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndicate_(video_game)

I think they were kidding...

Deadbeat

Banned
No, pretty much anyone who knew the old game knew from the get go it was cookie cutter linear FPS that completely ignored what had been interesting in the original.
anyone that played the game would know the multiplayer coop was amazing. But since noone bothered even giving the game a chance it died a horrible death.

Rashid

Banned
I'd like to play a proper sequel. The original remake from last year just didn't seem like I needed to buy it, made worse by being an FPS, especially as I can buy precious few games as it is.

Wiktor

anyone that played the game would know the multiplayer coop was amazing. But since noone bothered even giving the game a chance it died a horrible death.
The co-op was far from amazing. Got boring pretty fast. Now if instead of wasting resources on SP campaign they would put it into co-ops then it would turn out to be amazing.

Coconut

Banned

All kidding aside the the shooter remake wasn't half bad. Multiplayer is where it shined but even the campaign was fun. The shoot outs weren't just corridors they had some nice open arenas and the hacking powers were interesting, but underused.

From what they are talking about in the kick starter video sounds like they are taking some inspiration from Dawn of War 2. Which I'm all about.

inm8num2

Good timing. People didn't like last year's Syndicate and are probably hungry for more of the original style gameplay.

pa22word

Uh, did KS drop amazon payments? Asking me for my CC when I tried backing. Or is it just because of the conversion process involved for americans?

Sothpaw

Kickstarter is the best thing to happen to videogames since Steam. As stated on the kickstarter page "Kickstarter is proving to be a utopia of creativity." I couldn't agree more and without kickstarter pc games like this would be a thing of the past. Backed, just like I back all promising kickstarter games.

So far from what I have played of Grim Dawn, kickstarter has not disappointed. Also can't wait for the first full game, Shadowrun Returns, in July.

cacildo

Glad to know.

(i had for me that everybody was crying happy tears over excitment for this syndicate FPS - and then it crashed and burned)

Kickstarter is the best thing to happen to videogames since Steam. As stated on the kickstarter page "Kickstarter is proving to be a utopia of creativity." I couldn't agree more and without kickstarter pc games like this would be a thing of the past. Backed, just like I back all promising kickstarter games.

So far from what I have played of Grim Dawn, kickstarter has not disappointed. Also can't wait for the first full game, Shadowrun Returns, in July.

Really regret not backing Shadowrun returns, but I agree with you 100%!!!

2MF

Did Kickstarter stop that strange woman from extorting people? If yes I'll back this in a second.

pa22word

Really regret not backing Shadowrun returns, but I agree with you 100%!!!

Aye, definitely with you there. I was in between jobs at the time it and WL2 were running, and ended up going on ramen for a week at the time in order to back WL2 at the minimum. I just couldn't afford to both feed myself, pay bills, and back both projects at the same time. Luckily I've landed a really solid job since then and have been able to bump up my WL2 pledge to respectable levels via the backer store, but man that lingering shame about missing Shadowrun is painful =\

Also does anyone else find it weird that the game is asking BP instead of AUS$? Yo dawg levels of currency conversion going on in this KS, lol...

2MF

Did Kickstarter stop that strange woman from extorting people? If yes I'll back this in a second.

This is how you do a kickstarter. Don't just come up with an idea and try to get money. These people have already put up their time to show how they think the game will look. Even if it is for only a few seconds.

No Risk to the devs kickstarters are bad.

pa22word

I fail to see how one potential scam has any impact on this project, but okay...

I mean you not backing this doesn't hurt KS in any meaningful way, but it does hurt the developers on this project very directly. I just don't understand this backasswards line of thinking.

pmj

My dislike of the original Syndicate made me hesitate, but the gameplay blurb sounds good, and also almost nothing like the original Syndicate, so I'm in.

How was Syndicate Wars compared to the first game in the series?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Glad to know.

(i had for me that everybody was crying happy tears over excitment for this syndicate FPS - and then it crashed and burned)

No way, very much the opposite. A lot like the Xcom shooter (before Enemy Unknown was announced) the reaction was a solid round of "Go fuck yourselves" from fans of the series and a lot of confusion and apathy from people who didn't care about the original. Exactly the reaction any sane person would expect but that's not exactly who we have making decisions at big publishers these days.

Glad to see this Kickstarter pop up. I only played a bit of Syndicate on a console (SNES? Genesis? Surely not the best way to play it, either way) but remember liking it a lot and being very terrible at it. I don't know if I'll contribute but I'll be keeping an eye on the project.

Nikodemos

How was Syndicate Wars compared to the first game in the series?
Different.
:p

It was full 3D, with zoom/rotation/pan. It had regenerating energy instead of limited ammunition for weapons (amount and speed of regen was tied to the agents' implants). It no longer had constant time flow, thus no more research exploits. The clock only ran during missions. It had some crazy/powerful (and crazy powerful) weapons, which, however, were available quite late in the game. It had (almost) fully destructible terrain (amazing what the trusty ol' Magic Carpet engine could do at the time). Oh, and the Epidermis easter egg/minigame.

EDarkness

Looks awesome. Something I could definitely get behind. The original Syndicate was great and I'd like to see more of these kinds of games get made.

Aaron

They made a mistake with the assassin tier so limited. I was going to go for that, but it filled up while I was watching the video. So I pledged at a cheaper tier.

ShogunX

I love both Syndicate and Syndicate wars ''RAZOR WIRE''. Just hope this new release (if funded) gets released on a platform I can play it on.

The End

Spent too long waffling and missed out on Assassin at $45. Grabbed Loyal Citizen for $20, there are only a handful left at that price.

pmj

Different.
:p

It was full 3D, with zoom/rotation/pan. It had regenerating energy instead of limited ammunition for weapons (amount and speed of regen was tied to the agents' implants). It no longer had constant time flow, thus no more research exploits. The clock only ran during missions. It had some crazy/powerful (and crazy powerful) weapons, which, however, were available quite late in the game. It had (almost) fully destructible terrain (amazing what the trusty ol' Magic Carpet engine could do at the time). Oh, and the Epidermis easter egg/minigame.

Sounds like some very reasonable fixes to some of the flaws Syndicate had. Though my biggest issue with Syndicate is how sluggish it is to play, from the nightmarish UI to the snail's pace walking to the broken pathfinding.

From the info on the Kickstarter page, I'm especially liking that it's going to be class-based and that your agents will have have unique abilities and roles in combat. Basic stuff perhaps, but in Syndicate, agents were basically interchangeable.

I kinda want the option to kidnap any civilian of my choosing from the streets and turn them into agents, but it seems like they're going to be regular mercenaries this time around.

cacildo

(Posted it in the other thread. Since nobody answered and the thread vanished, posting it again:)

1- Is it port begging to say it would be perfect on wiiU?

2 - I hear a lot about kickstarters, but i dont remember any finished, shipped(?) game that came from a kickstarter. Is there a list? Did they ended up good games?

8bit

Knows the Score
(Posted it in the other thread. Since nobody answered and the thread vanished, posting it again:)

1- Is it port begging to say it would be perfect on wiiU?

2 - I hear a lot about kickstarters, but i dont remember any finished, shipped(?) game that came from a kickstarter. Is there a list? Did they ended up good games?

FTL

Top Bottom