• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satellite Reign (Kickstarter) - Spiritual sequel to Syndicate Wars by orig. creator

cacildo

2,746 backers
£76,611 pledged of £350,000 goal
29 days to go

What about the results? Do you people think these are good results until now?

(im new to paying attention to this kickstarter thing, but it looks pretty good to me for first day)

Zarx

What about the results? Do you people think these are good results until now?

(im new to paying attention to this kickstarter thing, but it looks pretty good to me for first day)

I would feel better if it was a bit higher but it's going decently. Should hit the goal easily but they will need to get some more media attention (some interviews at sites like RPS would help) if they want to hit stretch goals.

Jac_Solar

5 people.

And the most work will be artwork and installing the gameplay system. I am really curious how this will work, waiting for further updates.

Oh yes, and Syndicate was awesome, so I am already keeping my money ready. Just want to have a bit more info.

The 5th person is a stretch goal composer.

Jac_Solar

Our core team is 5 people. Russell Shaw would bring us to 6.

Oh, I apologize. Thought someone in the interview video said that your studio consisted of 4 people, and that you wanted to add a composer.

Rewatched it, and probably got the idea that it was only 4 from when Mike said "I've teamed up with 4 talented industry veterans". Guess I forgot to include him. :p

FoxSpirit

You know what is missing? Gifs.

sr001r7cmj.gif

sr002gqfb3.gif

sr004amjiwd.gif

sr10a31doa.gif

sr007eocdu.gif

sr008fyfpl.gif

gabbo

The video piqued my interest, even if my connection to the original Syndicate is nil.
Still, this looks like it could be quite fun, if I don't get overwhelmed in micromanagement.

FACE

Banned
The video piqued my interest, even if my connection to the original Syndicate is nil.
Still, this looks like it could be quite fun, if I don't get overwhelmed in micromanagement.

The original game didn't have a lot micromanagement, from what I remmeber. It was more like a squad-based GTA game.

Nikodemos

The only micromanagement it had was mostly based around team direction and energy states (energy powered your guns, your UV sight - which I never understood how to use properly - and your 'shields up', a.k.a. pseudo-god mode).

Oh, right, and finding the sweet spot for funding your research team. Just throwing lots of money at a project didn't always work.

Well here's a Wii U mention:

5 Live Studios said:
Went to bed at 20K pledges woke up at 60K, you people are awesome, thanks for being fans of a classic game and helping us make satellite Reign.

Just a couple of quick answers before I get a coffee in me and prepare the proper faq.

We want to be on Steam and GOG and will be speaking to them now we have something to show, but we can confirm there will be a DRM free version of the game.

Console ports are super expensive and we are totally designing this game for PC, you will need a mouse! WiiU would be interesting with the gamepad but its not our focus right now and we don't want to be distracted.

FACE

Banned
Good to hear, would be nice to get some actual designed-for-PC games out of kickstarter.

Wasteland 2, Project Eternity and Divinity Original Sin :)

I agree it's nice. I was so disappointed when Red Thread announced console versions of Dreamfall.

wetwired

Will pledge when the Paypal option is up.

I want to mention that there's also a promising looking classic Syndicate style game called Black Annex, which is in Steam's Greenlight process.

We're working on this now, it will likely be a few days off though.

If at all possible we encourage people to pledge via kickstarter though. We'd hate to get short of our target on Kickstarter because people used paypal instead. But we understand backing via Kickstarter isn't an option for everyone.

Wait - Ill up my pledge if creating an angry mob of civilians with a pursuadatron is actually possible. I'll double it if they arm themselves too...

Gbraga

I never played Syndicate (I know, I know), how does an Open World RTS works? I'm not a big fan of RTS, but I really love cyberpunk.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I never played Syndicate (I know, I know), how does an Open World RTS works? I'm not a big fan of RTS, but I really love cyberpunk.

People calling Syndicate a RTS (or strategy game at all) is a bit of a misnomer. Syndicate was an action game, a Cyberpunk version of Cannon Fodder that had a cool management metagame layering over the whole thing. The control interface is certainly similar to a strategy game (point and click) but you aren't building anything, you aren't going deep into tactics, it's all big throw down gunfights with miniguns, flamethrowers and missles.

Nikodemos

People calling Syndicate a RTS (or strategy game at all) is a bit of a misnomer. Syndicate was an action game, a Cyberpunk version of Cannon Fodder that had a cool management metagame layering over the whole thing. The control interface is certainly similar to a strategy game (point and click) but you aren't building anything, you aren't going deep into tactics, it's all big throw down gunfights with miniguns, flamethrowers and missles.
I've never played the original Syndicate, but Wars was a bit more diverse. You had infiltration, theft, persuasion, assassination (using a non-standard character instead of your agents). It wasn't all run and gun (some missions were harder if you tried that).

FACE

Banned
This has slowed down quite a bit :|

It'll probably make it, but I wanna see some stretch goals being reached.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've never played the original Syndicate, but Wars was a bit more diverse. You had infiltration, theft, persuasion, assassination (using a non-standard character instead of your agents). It wasn't all run and gun (some missions were harder if you tried that).

Well the mission variety is more then just shooting, all that stuff is in the first game, but it isn't an RTS.

FoxSpirit

Can we all agree to edit the title to "Satellite Reign (Kickstarter) - Spiritual successor to Syndicate Wars from original creator" ??

I feel "open world RTS" just doesn't pull in a lot of visitors nor is it what this project really is. Also, OP, please add the gifs, thanks.

Gbraga

Oh, so it's not the kind of game I can't get into then. Good to know, I think I'll back it.

FACE

Banned
Thanks :) That's my contribution, environments, effects and lighting

You're doing a damned good job.

I have few questions, if you don't mind: a)Will the game retain the management aspect from Syndicate? b)Will the agents be able to die and be replaced? In the video it sounded like you'll only have the same four agents during the entire game. c)Will there be some sort of environmental destruction in the game?

wetwired

a)Will the game retain the management aspect from Syndicate?
Yes we plan on having a management system for taxes, research, propaganda and security among others.

b)Will the agents be able to die and be replaced?
We actually have a very cool system for death (well we think so) that we'll be explaining in an upcoming update video so I'll hold off on explaining it here.

c)Will there be some sort of environmental destruction in the game?
We do want to get some environment destruction in the game, the extent of which will depend on stretch goals.

cluderi

Well shit, a kickstarter for one of the beloved games of my mispent childhood being developed in my new hometown.

Guess that means I'm in.

wetwired

Well shit, a kickstarter for one of the beloved games of my mispent childhood being developed in my new hometown.

Guess that means I'm in.

You're in Brisbane? we're planning having an informal Q&A at a local pub at some point during the life of the kickstarter, we'll post more info when we have an exact date.

Somax

Uhm, wanted to back the project, but oddly this particular kickstarter doesn't support amazon payments?

Oh well, I'll do it when I get back from work, since I don't have here my cc data :)
First I was interested, but seeing the gifs today sold me.

V_Ben

Banned
Uhm, wanted to back the project, but oddly this particular kickstarter doesn't support amazon payments?

Oh well, I'll do it when I get back from work, since I don't have here my cc data :)
First I was interested, but seeing the gifs today sold me.

Kickstarters originating in the UK have to take card payments, unfortunately.

Perkel

Banned
It amuses me that people are still blown away that people use Kickstarter to fund these types of projects.

All hail kickstarter and crowdfunding.
Best thing is that first games from DF wave will be coming in just month or few moths and from that point games will be coming almost monthly.

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT

All hail kickstarter and crowdfunding.
Best thing is that first games from DF wave will be coming in just month or few moths and from that point games will be coming almost monthly.

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT

I'm quite happy with the quality of KS games so far.

But yes, cannot wait for Wave 1 of the big names.

Top Bottom