• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satellite Reign (Kickstarter) - Spiritual sequel to Syndicate Wars by orig. creator

SparkTR

(Posted it in the other thread. Since nobody answered and the thread vanished, posting it again:)

1- Is it port begging to say it would be perfect on wiiU?

2 - I hear a lot about kickstarters, but i dont remember any finished, shipped(?) game that came from a kickstarter. Is there a list? Did they ended up good games?

FTL, Chivalry, Leisure Suit Larry are games that used Kickstarter.

There's big differences between PC and Wii-U strategy games, especially ones that want to replicate old school stuff. Compromises would suck and there's probably not a big Syndicate fanbase on Wii U.

Decado

I haven't played Syndicate for ages and barely remember it, but the kickstarter description indicates that you only control 4 characters. Is that in combat, too?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
So far, this looks exactly like a sequel to Syndicate should. Looks like the internet agrees. All the early bird tiers are disappearing fast.

Sentenza

I read this thread's title few days ago but for some reason I ignored it -maybe because I really didn't like Syndicate Wars compared to the original- but I took my time to watch their pitch today and all I have to say is "Yes, please. Hook it into my veins".

Nikodemos

I haven't played Syndicate for ages and barely remember it, but the kickstarter description indicates that you only control 4 characters. Is that in combat, too?
? Err...?

You had an in-mission limit of max 4 characters in all Syndicate titles.

Decado

? Err...?

You had an in-mission limit of max 4 characters in all Syndicate titles.

As I mentioned, I couldn't recall. That's too bad, though. Four is too few for a tactical game. Though I suppose the tactical combat mechanics may have been very simplistic and they're not going to upgrade it much.

KKRT00

As I mentioned, I couldn't recall. That's too bad, though. Four is too few for a tactical game. Though I suppose the tactical combat mechanics may have been very simplistic and they're not going to upgrade it much.

Ok, You dont know what You are talking about :) Watch some Syndicate gameplays on youtube.

Mimir

FTL, Chivalry, Leisure Suit Larry are games that used Kickstarter.
I'm sure there are plenty more, but here are a few more that I had backed.
Diamond Trust of London [Good reviews]
Expeditions: Conquistador [Good reviews]
Strike Suit Zero [Mixed reviews]

Sentenza

Yes, it was quite simplistic.
Going with different classes as they are doing would already add some degree of variety.
Now, if they also give us a good range of different abilities to use and switch from pure real time to real-time-with-pause I would be quite happy with the upgrade.

Jac_Solar

Extremely ambitious project for 4 people and 350,000£. Completely open world RTS game with emergent gameplay and independent systems. Sounds awesome, but is it possible?

Decado

Extremely ambitious project for 4 people and 350,000£. Completely open world RTS game with emergent gameplay and independent systems. Sounds awesome, but is it possible?

Only four people? Surely they are doing some outsourcing for artists/animators or something?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Syndicate is sort of a tactical/action game hybrid. It's more Cannon Fodder than Commandos.

FoxSpirit

5 people.

And the most work will be artwork and installing the gameplay system. I am really curious how this will work, waiting for further updates.

Oh yes, and Syndicate was awesome, so I am already keeping my money ready. Just want to have a bit more info.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
(Posted it in the other thread. Since nobody answered and the thread vanished, posting it again:)

1- Is it port begging to say it would be perfect on wiiU?

2 - I hear a lot about kickstarters, but i dont remember any finished, shipped(?) game that came from a kickstarter. Is there a list? Did they ended up good games?
1- The Wii U tablet would work great for a lot of PC strategy games, but it remains to be seen if there's an audience for them on the Wii U.

2- Chivalry comes to mind. It's a fantastic game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This is one of those projects that should have hit it's funding goal on the first day.

PC gamers, I am disappoint.

FACE

Banned
Will you be releasing on WiiU, Xbox One, PS4 etc?

We aren't going to rule out the possibility, but at this stage, we're concentrating on delivering a great experience for PC, Mac and Linux users first and foremost.

A better answer would've been "No, fuck consoles!" but I'm sufficiently pleased. Time to back.

wetwired

Hi Guys Brent here (I'm the one you see briefly at 1:38 with the glasses)

We're all busy replying to as many people as we can via the FAQ and comments as quickly as we can. Any questions though feel free to ask.

Someone has already grabbed the Big Boss tier though, turns out it's Steven Dengler, founder of xe.com and frequent game backer\investor (http://www.dracogen.com/)

I'll show my ugly mug in the coming update videos, we plan to get at least one out a week to respond to people's questions and reveal some more info about the game.

I knocked this up for LegoGAF but you guys might appreciate it too...

Satellite Reign Agent

EDarkness

Strangely enough, this is a game I'd play on the Wii U. When I played the original Syndicate, I played it on an Atari Jaguar. Crazy, eh? Eventually, I picked up the PC version, but I enjoyed the Jaguar version well enough. If a Wii U version gets announced, I'm there. Something about the Wiipad or Remote would be nice with this game.

Wiktor

I was waiting with backing until they confirmed no console versions (Wii U fans can say what they want, it would cripple the game). Now I feel it's safe to pledge. If they break under all the whining I can always drop the pledge.

EDarkness

I was waiting with backing until they confirmed no console versions (Wii U fans can say what they want, it would cripple the game). Now I feel it's safe to pledge. If they break under all the whining I can always drop the pledge.

I still don't understand how the game would be "crippled".

Either way, it's good the game is being made, regardless of what system it comes out on. There just aren't enough cyberpunk games out there. :)

Mlatador

Banned
Strangely enough, this is a game I'd play on the Wii U. When I played the original Syndicate, I played it on an Atari Jaguar. Crazy, eh? Eventually, I picked up the PC version, but I enjoyed the Jaguar version well enough. If a Wii U version gets announced, I'm there. Something about the Wiipad or Remote would be nice with this game.

Oh god, yes, please a Wii U Version!!! The agent customisation on the Gamepad... radar... hacking... and other great ideas. Fuck yeah!!

PLEAASE, for the love of god, let them announce a Wii U version!!

To me, this is THE most exciting Kickstarter I've ever heard of. I LOOOOVED Syndicate Wars (it's gameplay and Music/Athmosphere was god-like!!).

SHIT, this is really THE Syndicate Reboot I've always dreamed of!

AHHHHHHHH!!

Imagine all of this on the Wii U Gamepad!!!!!

9654-syndicate-wars-dos-screenshot-cryogenic-room-s.jpg

48344.jpg

9655-syndicate-wars-dos-screenshot-weaponry-items-store-s.jpg

562486-syndicate-wars-dos-screenshot-utopia-maps.jpg

Wiktor

I still don't understand how the game would be "crippled".

Even with tablet the control schemes would still needed to be redesigned to fit both platforms (and no..the "separate UIs for each platforms" never work fully). But most of all, this is petite team. Every minute spent on Wii U version would be one minute that's taken away from making it a great pc game. I have no problem with ports after the pc version is done, as this way it has no chance of negatively impacting the PC SKU, but multiplat development? Terrible idea. One which I wouldn't support with my money.

I know Wii U fans are desperate, because regular 3rd parties don't support their platform, so they need to port beg indies. But pcgamers have been waiting for this game for 17 years. You can definitely wait a 6-12 months after the PC version is done for your port.

Mlatador

Banned
Even with tablet the control schemes would still needed to be redesigned to fit both platforms (and no..the "separate UIs for each platforms" never work fully). But most of all, this is petite team. Every minute spent on Wii U version would be one minute that's taken away from making it a great pc game. I have no problem with ports after the pc version is done, as this way it has no chance of negatively impacting the PC SKU, but multiplat development? Terrible idea. One which I wouldn't support with my money.

I know Wii U fans are desperate, because regular 3rd parties don't support their platform, so they need to port beg indies. But pcgamers have been waiting for this game for 17 years. You can definitely wait a 6-12 months after the PC version is done for your port.

If this would be the case, I'd be happy, of course. But apart from that, the game will be made by Unity and that's free to use on Wii U; it should also be very easy to port, so why not announce it as a additional stretch goal??

But most importantly, this game would be sooo cool with the Wii Gamepad, the extra speakers it has (so you'll get messages from your headquarters, make calls, use the future internet and so on). Managing your agents and their technology with the sytlus would also be tremendiously awesome + the prospect of a hudless screen + comfy couch gaming.

EDarkness

I understand what you're saying, and to be honest, I'd be okay with this. Generally, I don't care if indies support whatever systems/consoles, but in this case, I think the game lends itself well to the Wiipad/remote setup. It's being made in Unity, so converting over shouldn't be too hard (from what I've been told by people in the Unity community), so it shouldn't impact the game that much. If they release a Wii U version later, then I'd be fine with that as well. Everyone wins in that situation.

Wiktor

If this would be the case, I'd be happy, of course. But apart from that, the game will be made by Unity and that's free to use on Wii U; it should also be very easy to port, so why not announce it as a additional stretch goal??
Because it would still take away from pc version heavily. Also stretch goal is murky. A lot of that money would come from pc supporters with Wii U users just leeching off on their generousity. And I would rather have stretch goals that enchance the pc version than ones that can end up crippling it.

If you would like to finance Wii U version fairly it would need to be separate Kickstarter, with 100-200K goal (just guessing) made solely for raising money to hire additional people dedicated solely to Wii U SKU.

FACE

Banned

I agree with you, Armikrog getting a Wii U version actually made me pull my pledge.

SparkTR

The best thing to do now is keep communication up and offer new reward tiers. I believe Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 made 50% of their funding by getting current backers to upgrade their pledges.

Also no thank you to a Wii U version, and this is coming from a new Wii U owner whose most anticipated game is Pikmin 3. Developing an RTS game for Wii U compared to PC is the same difference as developing an RTS game for any other console compared to PC, the two platforms are massively different and it would no doubt compromise the PC version and product as a whole, nevermind the lack of audience. We have ten years of hindsight to see that, ten years of failed console RTS versions and damaged franchises that practically left the genre for dead.

Dennis

Banned
After one day, it is £73,844 pledged of £350,000 goal.

How is that on track to eventually do with 29 days left?

I really want this to get funded and with enough money to polish it up nicely.

pa22word

After one day, it is £73,844 pledged of £350,000 goal.

How is that on track to eventually do with 29 days left?

I really want this to get funded and with enough money to polish it up nicely.

It seems like it's very healthily on track to at least 1.5x if it keeps pace. Amikrog looked much worse after day one iirc (like 50k-ish of 900k), and that ended up breaking it's hefty stretch goal in the end anyways, so I definitely wouldn't worry about this one.

Top Bottom