• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satellite Reign (Kickstarter) - Spiritual sequel to Syndicate Wars by orig. creator

lawrence7

what happened to the other "spiritual" sequel, called The Cartel?
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/21/paradox-announce-cartel-interview/

Bad news :(
The game is on hold indefinitely and we're not looking to pursue development for many reasons - mainly - 1: we don't think we could do the game/concept justice, 2: fan expectations are so high we'd almost be certain to fail, 3: we don't have the right development partner for the game, 4: Others are doing similar things - but better.

Sometimes it's just not in the cards folks :/

This subforum will be archived soon.

/shams
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?687188-News&p=15723508&viewfull=1#post15723508

Cartel pre-alpha gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqSDF2u9j94#t=07m18s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9G6P62JfkM

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Oh man I had no idea this was cancelled.

9226915019_f05984752a_o.gif

wizzbang

Banned
As a massive fan of Syndicate, it blows my mind the developers would be silly enough to say "from the makes of Syndicate Wars" Are you kidding?

I am under the impression it's the same dev team for both games, so that's a good thing but seriously, don't mention Wars if you want everyone interested.

Zaptruder

Banned
As a massive fan of Syndicate, it blows my mind the developers would be silly enough to say "from the makes of Syndicate Wars" Are you kidding?

I am under the impression it's the same dev team for both games, so that's a good thing but seriously, don't mention Wars if you want everyone interested.

I loved Wars... :( and now to pledge because you make fun of it.

wetwired

Making fun of Syndicate Wars is like pointing and laughing at the kids on the short bus, it's just kind of sad and tragic really :(

I'm sorry Syndicate Wars offends you somehow but Mike worked on both Syndicate games but was lead programmer, producer and team lead on Syndicate Wars so it made more sense to highlight that aspect of his career.

wizzbang

Banned
I'm sorry Syndicate Wars offends you somehow but Mike worked on both Syndicate games but was lead programmer, producer and team lead on Syndicate Wars so it made more sense to highlight that aspect of his career.

If only I was the only one offended by the game, it was generally regarded as a flop, hence my fascination with them promoting it as a good thing.

Wiktor

If only I was the only one offended by the game, it was generally regarded as a flop, hence my fascination with them promoting it as a good thing.

From perspective of time I would say it was heavily underrated by community and the high scores it gotten from some magazines were more than deserved. And looking at how it's rated today, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

wetwired

Finally had time to watch this. I visually other looks fairly decent. Though it doesn't exactly scream cyberpunk.

The gameplay though was the most perplexing part, one agent walking around the choking some dudes. If no one had told me it was a syndicate clone I would have never known.

wizzbang

Banned
From perspective of time I would say it was heavily underrated by community and the high scores it gotten from some magazines were more than deserved. And looking at how it's rated today, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

We shall have to disagree then, if anything I'm surprised that many people are coming out of the woodwork claiming they enjoyed it. Everyone I know who played the original and got the sequel was heartily disapointed, real life and online.

Regardless, the GIFs in this thread in the OP look quite nice, doesn't look bad, although I'll say the backing for the game, thus far is appalling, kickstarter burnout must be in full effect. I do wonder if there wasn't that Syndicate game last year and if they'd not used Syndicate Wars to market this, if it'd get more backing.

Wiktor

We shall have to disagree then, if anything I'm surprised that many people are coming out of the woodwork claiming they enjoyed it. Everyone I know who played the original and got the sequel was heartily disapointed, real life and online.

Regardless, the GIFs in this thread in the OP look quite nice, doesn't look bad, although I'll say the backing for the game, thus far is appalling, kickstarter burnout must be in full effect. I do wonder if there wasn't that Syndicate game last year and if they'd not used Syndicate Wars to market this, if it'd get more backing.

they would propably get a lot less backing if they tried to sell it as Syndicate instead of Syndicate Wars. Kickstarter users are't dumb uninformed mass. They would quickly realize the creator has more in common with Wars than the first one and there would be backslash. Honesty is much better method than trying to obscure anything when it comes to KS.

Nikodemos

I'm one of those few who think the original Syndicate was crap. I found the graphics and colour palette ugly, the (world) designs simplistic, the ammo limits annoying, and the research time exploit-a-thon deplorable. Then again, I only managed to get my hands on it after having played Wars, so my experience was, in a way, 'tainted'. That's not to say Wars was flawless. It had brutal system reqs (you could play it on 320x200 and low detail on the minimum recommended specs, but the game looked absolutely horrendous), a completely incomprehensible research system (up to this day nobody knows what variables are involved in determining mission length - directly tied to research time, since research only advanced during missions) and game-crashing bugs (of note, the particle buffer overflow one, the very first bug I encountered in a computer game). It was also crazy hard and just about unbeatable if you didn't hit a particular set of research milestones (and equipped your agents accordingly). But it was still better than Syndicate. The full-3D world, the almost entirely destructible environment (good ol' Magic Carpet engine...), the bleakness, the film noir/cyberpunk rainy weather (in several missions), the music, the screams of people set on fire... Oh, how I loved it.

I suspect last-year's crapfest is more to blame than kickstarter fatigue. Also, the team needs to stoke them coals a bit.

FoxSpirit

Yeah, the AMA should hopefully help a bit.
Though I am a bit puzzled about the lack of Amazon payments, that sure turned a few people away. Not worried still, in the end, if push comes to shove, I'll up my pledge a fair bit. Average pledge is 30 right now, quite a bit of headway.

wetwired

We just put out a new update after reaching 200k funding thus far. There's also an interview with myself on the Jace Hall Show website where I discuss some of the gameplay.

wetwired

We did our AMA on reddit this morning

We did it for a couple of hours, we'll still come back to answer questions occasionally though if anyone has any more

wetwired

We've got a new update today, with a fresh piece of concept art of the new CEO of the game

Just a few hours after we launched the Kickstarter for Satellite Reign, we were already the victims of a hostile takeover. The CEO “Big Boss” reward tier which grants the backer the right to become the competing CEO in Satellite Reign was snatched up, and we were all at the mercy of our new corporate overlord, Steven Dengler...

CEO640.jpg

More info, including Steven's investment\funding work with Double Fine, Penny Arcade and a small interview with him on the update page.

wetwired

Mike did up a little post about AI...

MikeD here.

I thought I'd write a piece about AI and how I'm coding it up with relevance to emergent game-play.

You may not want to read on if you prefer to think its all done by magic, but if you want to take a glimpse behind the curtain read on.

I like my ai's to react meaningfully to stimulus, which basically means giving them the ability to see and hear.

That may sound obvious, but a lot of ai's in games don't react to anything, they are simply pre-placed in the world, told to go to sleep and are woken up when the player enters a specific trigger box, perhaps halfway down a corridor they are in. So they wake up and start executing their pre given command shoot player.

You can get away with this in linear games and sometimes its actually the best way if you want to have total control of your game, everything tightly scripted, almost like the ai's are following a movie script. Zombie dog jump through window 3 seconds after player steps into this invisible box. It can make games atmospheric, but the downside is its totally the same every time you play through, you die and restart the level, same guy triggers, same dog jumps through window, Yawn!

I much prefer games that take a behavior driven approach, you basically code up multiple behaviors make them react to stimulus and give them a bit of decision making capability.

So lets take a standard behavior, Guard. You can imagine this as a typical security guard, night after night given the duty to guard an area. Lets give him an area he is going to guard some kind of compound, nobody should be entering this secure area.

The guard has 2 main senses we need to worry about sight and sound, sight has a field of view (FOV), say 150 degrees and a range, the range might be a km, but he also might not care about what anyone is doing 100 meters outside the volume he is guarding. Hearing has no FOV but has a range much shorter than sight lets say 100 meters.Sound travels slow so would take about 1/3rd of a second to travel 100 meters. Then we factor in reaction times too.

Events, events are the means by which we communicate things happening that ai's need to know about.

Fire a gun, broadcast that event to everyone within 500 meters say, here's the key though, the sound of the event goes into a queue for everyone within range. They will receive the event when the sound has correctly reached them, the visual of the event will reach them instantly, but if its outside their FOV or something is blocking their line of sight (LOS) they won't react to the visual cue. So really 2 events are created and are propagated at different rates, Gunshot audio event and visual event. Audio Events also are less precise they may only provide the listener with a possible volume for the source of the sound and the volume will be bigger the further away the sound is, and again if there's no LOS maybe the sound had to bounce off a few surfaces to reach the listener so its even less accurate where the source is.

How people react to events is decided by their current behavior as well as various stats they may have.So back to our guard, a gun shot outside his guarded area is probably going to raise his attention if its close enough, what's some of his basic responses we may have actions for.

Go investigate
Take Cover
Sound an Alarm
Run Away and hide
Simply turn and look in that direction and wait
Ignore it

With a bit of fuzzy logic we can decide which of these options the guard is going to take, we might factor in his boredom levels/ tiredness/ bravery perhaps its a violent area where gun shots are frequently heard outside his compound.

To decide which action we take, we look at a set of essential properties that the AI is looking to maximize such as Financial, Safety, Food, Sex, Excitement, Sleep, Respect.

These properties generally decay over time, people get hungrier,sleepier,hornier..Doing something heroic might increase your respect levels and excitement levels.Running away might decrease respect a little but increase your safety but decrease finance (you are not paid to run away).

Now each of the 6 actions above can have a +/- value assigned to each of the 7 essential properties for each of the type of events that might happen.

Investigating a gunshot might increase heroic and excitement and decrease safety a little.

The amount these essential properties changes can be scaled based on distance of the event, and also base stats such as how brave the ai is, or intelligence, or monetary greed etc.

So now this Guard can compare the scores for all his choices choose the highest scoring option, compare it perhaps against his current activity and decide what to do.

For extra dynamics the essential properties feed into each other, too much excitement can be detrimental to safety, sleep and hunger.

Too much food can make him sleepy. We can factor sleepiness into reactions

Everything feeds into everything else causing a chaotic system, but also a believable system, a systems where the Guard will go get some food because his hunger level got too high, or he fell asleep on the job because he got to sleepy, or he decided to run away from a shoot out because he’s basically a bit of a coward and the financial gains of defending the compound didn't out-way the risk of being killed.

These stats can also factor into taking a bribe, or being distracted by an attractive member of the opposite sex, or what the guard is going to do when his work shift finishes.

Of course the event might not be a gunshot, it might be a car crashing through a gate, or having a gun aimed at you, or being offered a bribe, or an explosion, or a bullet ricochet, or a near miss from a laser beam, or a muffled grunt or a soft foot fall behind you, the lights cutting out, a siren blaring, discovering a dead body...

The bottom line is by giving AI’s behaviors, and a behavior being set up with lots of possible reactions to lots of different events, and factoring in base genetics of each AI with their current state and needs, we can make the world react to the player in a believable way, and can remove the scripted feel to the game as the AI reacts different depending on how you break into the compound to steal the computer equipment, by stealth, by explosives, by sheer gun power, perhaps you just offer the guard enough money, perhaps one of your female agents seduces him.

Can't help but think that the Kickstarter coinciding with the Steam sale (and the summer sale season in general) is keeping money and attention away from this project. I really do hope they reach the target because it looks so good.

Another reason could be that Kickstarter demands a credit card for UK projects. For US projects you can use Amazon payments which would probably be easier for some. Hopefully they get across the target with enough time to open up Paypal as an option and get some extra funding there.

wetwired

Can't help but think that the Kickstarter coinciding with the Steam sale (and the summer sale season in general) is keeping money and attention away from this project. I really do hope they reach the target because it looks so good.

Another reason could be that Kickstarter demands a credit card for UK projects. For US projects you can use Amazon payments which would probably be easier for some. Hopefully they get across the target with enough time to open up Paypal as an option and get some extra funding there.

We expected there to be some drop off during the middle but we're a bit surprised how little press we've got post launch. Our first dev chat video was picked up by RPS and a few other minor sites but nothing since really. I don't know if the Double Fine situation has made the press more hesitant to cover kickstarters in general.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
We expected there to be some drop off during the middle but we're a bit surprised how little press we've got post launch. Our first dev chat video was picked up by RPS and a few other minor sites but nothing since really. I don't know if the Double Fine situation has made the press more hesitant to cover kickstarters in general.

Generally most sites will report a kickstarter exists and that's about it. RPS might do a second article near the end if something cool looks like it's going to miss it's goal but that's about it.

Wiktor

Generally most sites will report a kickstarter exists and that's about it. RPS might do a second article near the end if something cool looks like it's going to miss it's goal but that's about it.

Yeah. There needs to be something truly new to spark new articles. Showing gameplay videos (even very short ones) is usually enough to get second rund of articles. Otherwise there's just no real incentive to publish new articles.

FoxSpirit

I know, I know :-\

If bad comes to worst, maybe start again in a few months with a dollar account this time?? This supposedly hurt a ton.

But I remain hopeful, I mad dash finish made a lot of kickstarters fund in the end.

Ubersnug

You guys really need some more videos. They're what create the most hype (and fresh articles in gaming media).

Yeah, I feel they need to do more to get their idea and vision out to the gamers. Definitely more in game shots or even a more in depth prototype video showing the sort of things we can expect to do in the game. Don't get me wrong, the dev chat videos have been awesome and the article on how they are going to approach AI in the game left me quite giddy with excitement, but I think more has to be done to attract more potential pledges than what has been done.

I'm really eager to see this game meet its goal and it would be a terrible shame and a huge loss to us all if it doesn't make it.

Aaron

I upped my pledge a few tiers. It still isn't much, but I'd really like this game to happen. Shame it came out when we've hit a kickstarter lull. I wonder if the recent Doublefine hubub took the wind out of kickstarted games in general.

wetwired

Bit of a surge today after TotalBiscuit did a little piece on us. We also introduced add-ons and bob minifig on one of the tiers...

bob_announce.jpg

freddy

Banned
Bit of a surge today after TotalBiscuit did a little piece on us. We also introduced add-ons and bob minifig on one of the tiers...

bob_announce.jpg

If you guys can come up with something short that you think the media will run with, it would be some good insurance if things go stagnant in the next ten days or just to keep that worm pointing upward. Maybe reach out to some media people and see what they think you could do.

Also, to any media people reading, do a short piece on this please.

Ubersnug

I honestly think more videos would help. Even if it's target gameplay or basic prototype vids. Being able to see how the game will play would a great way to describe your guys vision for the game.

Terra_Ex

Surprised and disappointed this hasn't at least met its target by now, loved Syndicate as a kid. £ kickstarters always seem to struggle compared to $ though so hopefully it'll make it, I'm liking what I've seen so far.

Wiktor

Also, to any media people reading, do a short piece on this please.

I can't. My chief editor won't let me and I don't blame him. There's nothing to report there. At least from the perspective of your site (which is the biggest one in country of 40 mln) we write about KIckstarters:

-When they launch
-When they reach the target/end successfully
-When there's gameplay video.

pa22word

I can't. My chief editor won't let me and I don't blame him. There's nothing to report there. At least from the perspective of your site (which is the biggest one in country of 40 mln) we write about KIckstarters:

-When they launch
-When they reach the target/end successfully
-When there's gameplay video.

Why don't you set up an interview or something then? I understand your perspective on the general stuff, but I don't see why that precludes something like a skype interview with the devs about the game where you can generate your own news about the game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Surprised and disappointed this hasn't at least met its target by now, loved Syndicate as a kid. £ kickstarters always seem to struggle compared to $ though so hopefully it'll make it, I'm liking what I've seen so far.

What is the reasoning behind using £ ? Is it a preference because that is what is used where you are developing, or is it a requirement? Do you have to pay heavy exchange rates if you use $ when in the UK?

I agree, most £ kickstarters falter. Not being able to use Amazon payments is a huge issue.

hackdog

Banned

Yeah it looks like it won't make it. Terrible shame.

Top Bottom