• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Save A Life: Naughty Dog fan leather smith fighting cancer (Last stretch ~1.1k left!)

Croyles

I sent an email to Glenn from PSNation because of his great work with charities and such (and he knows a lot of gaming insiders). He doesn't know me though so not sure if he will respond or not. Hopefully.

kubus

Just sent out new tweets to Jason Schreier and Naughty_Dog. Anyone have other suggestions?

Also, is someone here familiar with reddit who can post over there? There seems to be a lot of potential traffic over there.

Edit: goddamn, I just posted and the thread already almost disappeared from first page.

Mods, please... Sticky this. It's just for three days. We could save a life here.

Toshi_TNE

Neo Member
Just sent out new tweets to Jason Schreier and Naughty_Dog. Anyone have other suggestions?

Also, is someone here familiar with reddit who can post over there? There seems to be a lot of potential traffic over there.

Edit: goddamn, I just posted and the thread already almost disappeared from first page.

Mods, please... Sticky this. It's just for three days. We could save a life here.

I second the sticky request, at least for a couple of days. It keeps getting buried under the next gen launch threads.

kubus

Who is the best person to contact for a sticky request? Should we mass PM them or would that only be annoying? I guess EvilLore?

OT: Boyfriend is now also ordering a jolly roger cuff. I will mail Jackson and ask if he can update the donation page totals.

nampad

I don't know if a sticky is the best idea. People usually overlook those. Just keep this thread bumped, I guess the mods would understand it.

kubus

I don't know if a sticky is the best idea. People usually overlook those. Just keep this thread bumped, I guess the mods would understand it.
I dunno, at least the thread is always visible then... I can't really bump the thread every 3 minutes, because that's what it takes to be completely drowned again in nextgen threads.

If only big websites were willing to pick this up... I really don't understand why Kotaku hasn't done anything yet. They already did so last year, they've featured David's work before and they usually put artists like him in the spotlight :(.

kubus

Bump......

WITH KITTIES!!!

David's cat, Oakley, needs you to save his buddy :(.

SXkEu0J.jpg

(Seriously, his cat is the CUTEST THING EVER)

No Love

Banned
Please donate more to this guy. This is a very strict timeline in order to save this guy's life. With just a few bucks from just NeoGAF alone I think we can get this done.

My aunt died of pancreatic cancer. It's one of the worst cancers and she suffered a lot. I will try to scrape together some money to help, but David will definitely be in my thoughts and I hope he can make a recovery from this terrible disease.

And FUCK the healthcare system here. It's a goddamn shame.

Foffy

Banned
He is young and looks relatively healthy which means his odds should have been very low. Not to mention the fact that pancreatic cancer itself is relatively rare. Damn that sucks. Does he know what could have been the most important factor, genetics?

I don't think it's fair to pry about that. Getting any type of cancer is troubling enough, but to believe he had stomach cancer at the age of 24 (last year) and now pancreatic cancer..handling any of that takes a level of bravery I have never experienced firsthand.

This society is all wrong, the humanity has a lot to evolve yet.
Money shouldn't be needed to save someones live.

This is sadly a showcase of how poorly we emphasize money. If anything, shit like this should show how toxic it's handled in a modern world. This is further exacerbated by how we look at illness and disease as expenses, as if living things are simply products like a car. It creates an absolutely inhumane circumstance for many people.

Donated 500 bucks. Had money for a PS4, decided to help save someones life. A no brainer.

You are a genuine human being.

Bought the backpack. My own aunt died of pancreatic cancer as well a few years ago.

Hopefully he can fight back from this as my aunt actually made it but then lost when remnants of the cancer spread to her stomach and everywhere else.

Hope David makes it and can recover.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Donated 500 bucks. Had money for a PS4, decided to help save someones life. A no brainer.

You're amazing for doing this.
But you haven't saved his life, you wouldn't have even if you dropped the entire 43K yourself.

It's part of why I felt really weird about this pledge drive. This is not a problem that money can fix. No matter how much we want it.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Yeah, me too. I suffer from Crohn's disease and if it gets worse, moving to the USA would not have been a good choice.

Tried mercaptopurine bro? (Purithenol, 6-MP)

It has worked wonderfully for me bro

Also please go for it and sticky it for a couple of days :(

Toshi_TNE

Neo Member
You're amazing for doing this.
But you haven't saved his life, you wouldn't have even if you dropped the entire 43K yourself.

It's part of why I felt really weird about this pledge drive. This is not a problem that money can fix. No matter how much we want it.

True, money doesn't assure that he will make it. Money can't cure him. But in this fucked up world, money gives him a fighting chance. He has his family and friends for emotional support, helping him out with donations is the best the rest of us can do.

Hoo-doo

Banned
True, money doesn't assure that he will make it. Money can't cure him. But in this fucked up world, money gives him a fighting chance. He has his family and friends for emotional support, helping him out with donations is the best the rest of us can do.

That's beautifully said. I have endless respect for what you did.

Jack Torrance

Neo Member
Bought the cuff (it looks super cool... wish he had the watch I would've bought that in a heart beat!) and made a separate donation.

Never heard of this guy until I just saw on GAF. Amazingly talented. No-one should have to pay to have a chance to stay alive, but sadly, here we are.

If you haven't already... give give give

kubus

One last bump before I head to bed. Sorry mods, I hope you understand.

Of all the people I've been spamming and harassing the entire day, I hope at least SOMEONE with a heart will pick it up and use their position to give David a chance. Either by getting an article up, retweeting it, whatever. Just, get the word out to the masses :(.

I'm looking at you Naughty Dog. Where the fuck are you guys?!

Also, I hope someone here will try to keep an eye on this thread and give it a little bump from time to time. Thanks.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
One last bump before I head to bed. Sorry mods, I hope you understand.

Of all the people I've been spamming and harassing the entire day, I hope at least SOMEONE with a heart will pick it up and use their position to give David a chance. Either by getting an article up, retweeting it, whatever. Just, get the word out to the masses :(.

I'm looking at you Naughty Dog. Where the fuck are you guys?!

Also, I hope someone here will try to keep an eye on this thread and give it a little bump from time to time. Thanks.

I'll try to bump it from time to time if no posts are made for a while. I don't have specific plans to go anywhere. :)

kubus

I'll try to bump it from time to time if no posts are made for a while. I don't have specific plans to go anywhere. :)
Thank you!!

Quick post before I really go:

All offline donations have been added to the GoFundMe page!! This means all donations made through the website AND all purchases of David's items!

We're at $5,479.00 raised as of this writing!!

Amazing guys, let's keep going! It's not too late just yet :)

Rodelero

Donated $10. Fingers crossed that the generosity keeps up, fingers crossed that he gets the best care he can, fingers crossed that it makes a difference.

Unless if I missed something, there was a huge jump in the donation, around two grand. Big thanks to every and anyone in there.

Edit: Offline donations, I see now.

Toshi_TNE

Neo Member
Thank you!!

Quick post before I really go:

All offline donations have been added to the GoFundMe page!! This means all donations made through the website AND all purchases of David's items!

We're at $5,479.00 raised as of this writing!!

Amazing guys, let's keep going! It's not too late just yet :)

That's a pretty nice BUMP.

rezuth

Holy shit Pancreatic cancer is one of the worst, that is terrible and he seems really talented. I'll see if I can donate on monday.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I went ahead and posted a link on the Extra Credits Facebook page. Maybe if they see it they can help spread the word. We'll see.

RrDz54k.jpg

America never ceases to amaze me. Dude working at a relatively prestigious developer company has cancer and will due unless a bunch of strangers donate money.

That this is a possibility in a 1st world nation is so crazy.

America never ceases to amaze me. Dude working at a relatively prestigious developer company has cancer and will due unless a bunch of strangers donate money.

That this is a possibility in a 1st world nation is so crazy.

I don't think he's an employee.

Also, in many countries with socialized medicine, very complicated surgeries and cutting-edge procedures aren't always available for this type of cancer, and people have to go to private hospitals if they want to exhaust all available treatment options.

shaowebb

Keep spreading this folks. Its picking up since this morning but its going to need more exposure and absolutely anything you can spare to hit goal for his surgery.

I hope he makes it. I'll keep doing what I can to send this out.

Cmagus

Donated $20.00 hope he gets the treatment he needs. I lost my mother just a little under a year ago from cancer I honestly hate to see anyone go through this because it is terrible for both the person and the family. Best of luck to him!

Top Bottom