• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA's new Vita campaign is a #gamechanger

Need to sell beyond expectations ...

.... ok, I smiled

This is a very good joke.

No cause it got canceled.

sibrows-applause.gif

Wasn't this months ago? I thought they recently admitted it was selling below expectations.
Yes, Kaz said as much when he talked about Vita's holiday sales.

To those wondering why this is a big deal or why it's news when "Netflix, Hulu, and Dish all do it," here's why: those things are services. It's rare (maybe unprecedented, even) for this type of promotion to be applied to a product rather than an intangible like a subscriber-based cable or Internet streaming service.

It speaks to something more than just "Let's leverage the excitement of our userbase."

Achtius

I wanted to get a vita, but this promo is for US only :(
But even with the promo, I also want to wait for it to go on sale

This is actually a very common marketing strategy. Restaurants, sports clubs, insurance agencies. Referal reward programs are nothing new.

The "problem" with this Sony thing is that they make it sound pathetic and desperate in this ad. It reeks of sheer dispair: "please help us sell our shitty thing, PLEASE".

This is a very cool thing that will never launch because instead of actually making it cool, they made it cringe-worthy.
N
Well it's normal with Internet services that require a monthly fee but I've rarely seen this for an electronic device.

Funny, but what else is Sony going to do? They aren't willing to drop the price because they think at this point the potential revenue gain isn't worth it which honestly says a lot about what they think the future of Vita is.

It's easy to laugh at this as a sign of extreme desperation, but if I had a single reason to get a Vita I would be letting my Vita friends battle it out on who got to refer me!

All this ridicule for what is an amazing device...

Welp, we'll be left with nothing but iOS and Ninty first party 3DS stuff.

We are going to get exactly what we deserve.

Keyouta

I don't really see commercials for the Vita on TV anymore, do they still air the first ones that were airing when it launched? Granted, I don't watch much tv.

Sony should drop the price and announce some new games in development.

I don't really see commercials for the Vita on TV anymore, do they still air the first ones that were airing when it launched? Granted, I don't watch much tv.

they've stopped with anything vita related that involves spending money. this is a a cheap way to "sell" the system. they aren't really losing that much money this way.

This is a build up for E3 where they have big things planned for the Vita. BIG Things.

prwxv3

they need to also need to drop the price of the memory cards.

Trogdor1123

I dont see what is up with people. Vita is an awesome system. This is just one more promo to get the best handheld ever made.

I wonder how you prove it. I got a vita a few weeks ago and so did my brother in law... wonder if we can get in on this...

neptunes

I think they'll hold off on a price cut until e3, it sucks I know, let's just hope their first price cut is pretty big, like +$75 of big.

Hero

I mean, it reeks of desperation but at least it's something. This doesn't make sense after the holidays and the good holiday bundles that included a game and memory card are long gone though.

Doesn't have a stockholders meeting in a week or two? I imagine the numbers are probably grim.

I'm pretty sure they said that the lack of marketing over Xmas was because they wanted to sell to the hardcore and then have word of mouth draw in the rest.

I've certainly read that in more than one sales topic.

You've said some absurd things before but I love this one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh wow. I guess the system really is doing badly if they have to go with the failing MMO (see: TORtanic) "PLZ 2 B COMING BACK/BUYING OUR HARDWARZ! :(" tactic. :(

Welp, we'll be left with nothing but iOS and Ninty first party 3DS stuff.

We are going to get exactly what we deserve.
I'm sure this sounded "cool" or "edgy" in your head, but the Vita's problems right now are like, 99% on Sony.

What "we" deserve, is a console manufacturer willing to support its devices.

Hanmik

they've stopped with anything vita related that involves spending money. this is a a cheap way to "sell" the system. they aren't really losing that much money this way.

This is a build up for E3 where they have big things planned for the Vita. BIG Things.

big things for vita at e3..? just like last year..?

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm sure this sounded "cool" or "edgy" in your head, but the Vita's problems right now are like, 99% on Sony.

What "we" deserve, is a console manufacturer willing to support its devices.

Sony has put out a lot for the Vita's first year. They support it plenty. In terms of supporting their other "devices," you should note the PSP and PS2 still have software coming in 2013.

KalBalboa

Banned
And release more non-ports/spin offs that really dont have much effort put into them.

Seriously, Call of Duty Declassified should not have looked like that.

Name another first-party Vita game that's anywhere near as crappy. LBP? Gravity Rush? Uncharted? All-Stars?

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Desperation or no, if NIS or Aksys (or whoever) announces Seimadou Monogatari or Demon's Gaze for English release, I'd be someone's nearest lonely friend for $20. Is SmokyDave looking? Somebody ask Sony if this shit will work for an import console!

Last weekend I walked into Sears for the first time in about two years and all the TVs in the electronics department were playing the same Vita promo. I was like "oh THERE'S where all the Vita advertising was"

...That part about an English version of Seimadou Monogatari pushing me over the edge to buy a Vita is 100% serious, actually.

...That part about an English version of Seimadou Monogatari pushing me over the edge to buy a Vita is 100% serious, actually.
I might subscribe to this as well as I'm a hopeless Madou Monogatari fan, but part of me knows what the end product will be with Compile Heart at the helm.

sense

people don't want to think around here it seems . they just jump at the first opportunity to make fun of a company. at this point sony would rather sell a million vitas at a minimal profit than sell 2 million at a 50$ loss due to a price cut. hand held gaming market is niche ever since smartphones took over so no amount of marketing is going to push the system to sell gangbusters. just bring out the games and the install base will slowly grow. i personally feel they have made the perfect handheld gaming platform and they can support it for a long time with a lot of ports and small indie games and throw in a couple of big games every year and it would end up being very profitable in the long run. everybody wants things to sell like apple products or they are doomed. DOOMED I SAY!

Etzer

WHAT?! The Marcus PSP marketing campaign was awesome. I knew many who liked it also. I always thought it was well received, didn't know most people didn't like it. D:

Actually, that's really the only PlayStation advertisement series I remember seeing. It was certainly memorable. That makes it a winner in my book.

On topic, this is hilarious. You people are here mocking Sony, when you should be out there selling Vitas! Come on, STEP YOUR GAME UP!
Marcus; PSP.

Hero

My pleasure.

Thing is, Nintendo really did say that, so the absurdity is on them I'm afraid.

As other people have pointed out there is a difference between actually just saying that and using this as the basis of a post-holiday marketing campaign complete with rewards and pyramid scheme promises.

SmokyDave

As other people have pointed out there is a difference between actually just saying that and using this as the basis of a post-holiday marketing campaign complete with rewards and pyramid scheme promises.
If you like. The difference to me is that Nintendo expected people to do it for free. I'm not sure that's a huge and important difference though.

Banned
Traded in my vita towards a Wii U in September. Bought one again when PS+ gave free gravity rush, wipeout and I bought ACIII for it. After playing those I traded it in towards a preorder of MGR:R and Fire Emblem and Rayman Legends.

This seems so desperate and this is coming from a guy that bought two of them lol.

Eternia

The only ps vita commercial i can recall seeing here in Canada, was the one with the no name basket ball player in the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5EaMGKBU-k

Sony can do a lot better than this. The campaign isn't bad but why not just drop the price, then do something like this.
They made plenty of commercials. Launch ad, MLB 12 cross-platform, AR in some park, Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation, Call of Duty Declassified and two variations of the Landry Fields Vita commercial. They last for weeks and air many times per day so there's no shortage of any of that.

ohlawd

Traded in my vita towards a Wii U in September. Bought one again when PS+ gave free gravity rush, wipeout and I bought ACIII for it. After playing those I traded it in towards a preorder of MGR:R and Fire Emblem and Rayman Legends.

This seems so desperate and this is coming from a guy that bought two of them lol.

man, you've done more for Sony than Sony themselves.

Top Bottom