• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Hannity's losing his fucking mind & not even Fox can handle it.

Bronx-Man

Banned
http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/22/media/fox-news-staffers-seth-rich-dnc-sean-hannity/

Fox News staffers expressed frustration on Monday that on-air personalities at their network like prime time host Sean Hannity are continuing to peddle a conspiracy theory about the murder of Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich.

"I'm disgusted by it," one Fox News employee told CNN.

Rich was shot to death last July in the streets of Washington, DC. The Metropolitan Police Department continues to investigate the murder and police say there is evidence to suggest Rich was the victim of a botched robbery.

But for months, right-wing media outlets have floated unproven theories that Rich was the person who provided Wikileaks with thousands of internal DNC emails, and suggested his death was retribution for the supposed leak. No real evidence has been provided to support such claims.

The theory resurfaced with a vengeance last week, in part due to an incorrect Fox News story the outlet has yet to retract. Hannity, along with the hosts of "Fox & Friends," have used their large platforms to push the discredited theory, much to the dismay of the journalists who work at the network. Hannity, who stresses he's not a journalist, posted a flurry of tweets pushing the theory over the weekend. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a Fox News contributor who did not respond to requests for comment, floated the theory on the network Sunday.

Multiple Fox News employees told CNN that Hannity, who declined to comment, and others were hurting the credibility of the outlet by continuing to advance the theory, for which there is no real evidence.

"It is disappointing because it drags the rest of us down," said a senior Fox News employee, who asked how Fox News leadership could continue to allow Hannity to spread an unproven theory on the network.

Another Fox News employee said he feels that Hannity isn't letting go of the Rich story because he wants to "distract from any and all Trump scandals."

"It hurts those of us who are legitimately focused on journalism," added the first employee. "We have a chance to turn the corner at Fox, and perpetuating this conspiracy theory damages our integrity."

Some Fox News contributors made their feelings on the issue public.

Julie Roginsky, a Democratic Fox News contributor who has filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against the network, asked in a video posted on Fox News' website Monday for people to "please stop torturing the Rich family" with "politically motivated conspiracy theories."

Another Fox News contributor, National Review columnist Jonah Goldberg, also appeared upset with Hannity Monday. He tweeted a link to a critical Washington Post piece about the Fox News host, later adding, "Shaming Hannity is my intention."

The Daily Beast additionally reported on Monday that Fox News staffers were "embarrassed" by Hannity's promotion of the conspiracy theory.

Brad Bauman, spokesman for the Rich family, told CNN last week that "anyone who continues to push this fake news story after it was so thoroughly debunked is proving to the world they have a transparent political agenda or are a sociopath."

Bauman told CNN on Monday that Hannity had not reached out to the family. Hannity has, however, reached out to invite Kim Dotcom, the Megauploader founder, who is currently in New Zealand fighting extradition to the U.S., where he is wanted on charges of copyright infringement and money laundering, on to his show. Dotcom has claimed to have evidence Rich leaked documents to Wikileaks, though he has not provided such evidence to the public. He did not respond to an email CNN sent him seeking comment on Monday.

You can tell from the new tweets he keeps posting that he's not exactly...stable right now.

hannitytweet1.jpg

hannitytweet3.jpg

Lock me up in the basement of Comet Pizza if old

SpaceWolf

Banned
Lot of bad news coming out of Fox News recently.

Guess it would be overly naive to hope it might collapse sometime soon?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like how they thought "Hillary Clinton killed a guy and paid to cover it up" was going to distract from actual evidence that Trump meddled in an investigation of himself.

ElRenoRaven

Yea. Hanity has been losing it for years. This just appears to be the culmination of him having lost his fucking mind. You have to figure he'll be gone from Fox pretty soon.

Fury451

Banned
They've got Chris Wallace and Shep Smith. Torch the rest and start over- I'm sure not everyone who works at Fox is an unreasonable cartoon character like Hannity and O'Reilly.

Hannity just drinks his and Trump's koolaid. They have nothing but opinions about Obama, which arn't even true when you look at it, and he is never going to admit he was wrong about Tump .None of them will because at the end of the day, Trump might just give them a job.

WarMacheen

To be fair Fox News has had shit credibility for years, the latest episode from Hannity is just barely outside their usual realm of "bullshit".

Surfinn

Seems like Fox News is hardly staying afloat with all the recent shit happening.

And lol at "he's ruining our credibility/integrity"

As if he's responsible for that

It's hilarious to me how transparent people like Assange and the Megaupload guy are. But Hannity and his acolytes are too brainwashed to see it.

Kyzer

Banned
Do you guys really believe the "robbery" story? And why do the mainstream media keep peddling this conspiracy theory of potential Trump / Russia collusion? HUH? HUH? SAME DEAL

Literally the ex-CIA director testifying before congress about an ongoing investigation by the FBI.

Playing FBI about an unfounded theory with no access to evidence as Fox News show host.

One of these things is not like the other.

As much as I wouldn't mind seeing Hannity go, I always wonder to what extent Fox is tapping into a market of already-existent crazies and to what extent they're actually creating the crazies.

To be fair Fox News has had shit credibility for years, the latest episode from Hannity is just barely outside their usual realm of "bullshit".

Yes and no. They were always propaganda. But pre-Trump they weren't THIS bad. PreTrump they would only dogwhistle the conspiracy theories instead of outright suggesting them.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Brad Bauman, spokesman for the Rich family, told CNN last week that "anyone who continues to push this fake news story after it was so thoroughly debunked is proving to the world they have a transparent political agenda or are a sociopath."

In the case of Hannity, whynotboth.gif

Top Bottom