• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Hannity Eyes Fox News Exit, Insiders Say

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
giphy.gif

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This is correct. Fox News wouldn't exist without the market to sustain it. If it collapses, then another will pop up to fill the void.

What sponsors are going put ads on a further-right news network helmed by a bunch of guys they pulled their ads over in the first place?

Yoda

I guess the murdoch sons are doing good work

It's a gamble. If they loose all the quacks, the audiences may go with them. Granted I'm not sure if high numbers alone is actual congruent with the economics of cable television, mainly due to the fact is the majority of those numbers are senior citizens, and advertisers aren't very fond of that demographic.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I guess the murdoch sons are doing good work

Time will tell.

Seems to be mostly be damage control for now. Gotta have a massive influx or ad money if they want to keep the studio lights on...the brainwashed masses aren't paying those bills, as large as they are.

Man imagine if Jon Stewart was still on TV with this news.

Hoping for yet another cameo/takeover on Colbert.

Good riddance. I don't know much about the Murdoch sons or what their vision of a conservative leaning news channel is, but it has to be a significant improvement over what we've seen.

If it weren't for people like O'Reily and Hannity (and the channel that supported them), I honestly don't think Trump could have had a shot at winning.

What sponsors are going put ads on a further-right news network helmed by a bunch of guys they pulled their ads over in the first place?

The ads were only pulled from O'Reilly show. They were moved to other shows/dayparts on Fox.

The fear for Fox now is that the replacement shows get lower ratings and then they can't charge as much for spots (or fees to cable companies) or those companies will take those ad dollars somewhere else.

jetsetrez

Wonderful news. Now just dump Tucker Carlson. I worry about whatever the next incarnation of these crazies is, but if it's not on TV I feel the country has been done a massive service by simply stopping the outlet of propaganda that a large portion of our dumbest people consume. The people still watching Fox News are the people too dumb to think critically or fact check or use the internet to verify whether what they are being fed is true or not. Better it just be gone now, hopefully nothing worse replaces it and these people are forced to at least look at other MSM, even if they're not amazing either.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The ads were only pulled from O'Reilly show. They were moved to other shows/dayparts on Fox.

The fear for Fox now is that the replacement shows get lower ratings and then they can't charge as much for spots (or fees to cable companies) or those companies will go somewhere else.

Also, if the toxic culture is truly systemic and not just isolated to O'Reilly. These companies are certainly weighing VERY heavily the RoI on their ad spend over there...

PixlNinja

Banned
I overheard at a BBQ on the weekend about how "His Sons' wives are a bunch of Leftists and that's why O'Reilly is gone" etc etc.

And do the Murdochs actually think that they're going to pivot towards the center at this stage in the game and be taken seriously? Fox News needs to just die. Good riddance.

mike6467

I know these guys are fossils and likely inept when it comes to anything new, but is anyone surprised some of these people (Tomi Lahren, O'Reilly, Glenn Beck, etc) haven't discovered Patreon and made a run there?

I mean you have people like Drew Scanlon and Danny O'Dwyer pulling in 20k per month, and Colin Moriarty is at 35k. Not to dismiss any of them, but their influence is almost non-existent compared to the heavy hitters. I'm really wondering how much Hannity could pull in if they headed a campaign to say "I'm leaving the MSM, get all my unfiltered views at this other place, where we don't kneel to any advertiser!" It's hard to see them not having money thrown at them.

I'm sure they make plenty on book deals and radio shows or whatever it is they end up doing, but it still surprises me nobody has tested the waters there yet (or have they and I'm just uninformed?)

Boke1879

I know these guys are fossils and likely inept when it comes to anything new, but is anyone surprised some of these people (Tomi Lahren, O'Reilly, Glenn Beck, etc) haven't discovered Patreon and made a run there?

I mean you have people like Drew Scanlon and Danny O'Dwyer pulling in 20k per month, and Colin Moriarty is at 35k. Not to dismiss any of them, but their influence is almost non-existent compared to the heavy hitters. I'm really wondering how much Hannity could pull in if they headed a campaign to say "I'm leaving the MSM, get all my unfiltered views at this other place, where we don't kneel to any advertiser!" It's hard to see them not having money thrown at them.

I'm sure they make plenty on book deals and radio shows or whatever it is they end up doing, but it still surprises me nobody has tested the waters there yet (or have they and I'm just uninformed?)

You'd at least think Tomi would have turned to it. She'd no doubt make a shit ton of money. I don't like her at all, but that's facts.

Hannity is making $29 million per year. He's not getting that from Patreon. That's in addition to the book deals and radio money that he is already pulling in.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This day just brightened.

JZA

Breitbart would be very stupid to try to launch a television network, but a WWE Network-like streaming service would probably be very profitable for them, especially if they could get O'Reilly, Hannity, Lahren, Coulter, and others being ousted from the mainstream of late.

It's scary to think what kind of ads would even run on such a network. Would probably be a non-stop cycle of invest in gold, Trump campaign 2020 propaganda, and pickup truck commercials.

Do Breitbart and those types of organizations really have to money to pay a Hannity or O'Reilly level personality?

Eh, Breitbart is basically funded by conservative millionaires at this point since all the advertisers fled their site. I could see them trying some type of desperate "get Hannity and the viewership will cause advertisers to come back somehow" move.

Maxim726X

I hear they are less conservative. But ultimately they serve the almighty dollar.

And with what happened with Ailes and now Bill. They are probably using this chance to clean up a bit.

Man, if that were the case they'd be treading carefully now... To lose their biggest draws in a few weeks span isn't going to do wonders for their ratings, I would imagine.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's scary to think what kind of ads would even run on such a network. Would probably be a non-stop cycle of invest in gold, Trump campaign 2020 propaganda, and pickup truck commercials.

I don't think most car makers would want their ads running on such a network either.

If Fox News crumbles it would be amazing.

I'm just scared of what takes its place.
This. As nice as it is to see this shithole collapse, I worry this may just lead to Breitbart and InfoWars growing to take its place. If those become the de facto GOP news source and media standards bearers, that's a hundred times worse. And it potentially creates an opening for even further right sources to grow.

Betty

Banned
I didn't think this would happen under Trump, whaddya know.

Honestly, who would've predicted this at all?

Geist-

Trump's 100 day accomplishments really are something when you consider he may be responsible for bringing down Fox News.

What if...

Trump's entire goal was to bring down the scummiest Fox personalities/managers/partners with his presidency so the nation would be better off in the long run.

8th dimensional chess!

Ogodei

Yeah. If Fox News collapses I'm afraid another network will spring up to replace it. Clearly there's a market for right-wing television news and I don't see Fox viewers being so loyal to the brand they'll stick with the network if the stars leave and the channel becomes more than a mouthpiece for racist Republican talking points.

Ailes specifically is looking to make a new network, but it'll be hard work in a fractured landscape. I don't doubt he knows more about making a successful network than Palin or Glenn Beck, but both of them were household names for conservatives who failed to really build successful media networks on top of that. Cable is shrinking and the internet space is dominated by leaner, meaner outfits like Breitbart, Daily Caller, Drudge, etc.

Top Bottom